ADVERTISEMENT

Should mandatory psych evals be instituted for all gun owners?

Feb 25, 2008
Every 3 months at minimum. If you own a gun, you have to take a psych eval every 3 months (I'd argue every month) in order to legally keep your firearm/weapon(s).

Would you agree to this? Is this a good idea? Would this deter gun violence? Deter the purchasing of weapons in general?

What say you?

I vote no. I'm a gun owner and general proponent of the 2nd Amendment (reasonably interpreted) but stop short of the nut job view of gun rights. Besides being impossibly complicated and expensive to implement, this is just too much of an intrusion on liberty for me to stomach. And I don't think it would do much to deter gun violence. Universal background checks, mandatory training updates, and stronger penalties for failure to safely keep your weapon--all those I could get onboard with, and I think they make a difference.

Every 3 months at minimum. If you own a gun, you have to take a psych eval every 3 months (I'd argue every month) in order to legally keep your firearm/weapon(s).

Would you agree to this? Is this a good idea? Would this deter gun violence? Deter the purchasing of weapons in general?

What say you?

We don't have enough mental health people to do what you are asking

I vote no. I'm a gun owner and general proponent of the 2nd Amendment (reasonably interpreted) but stop short of the nut job view of gun rights. Besides being impossibly complicated and expensive to implement, this is just too much of an intrusion on liberty for me to stomach. And I don't think it would do much to deter gun violence. Universal background checks, mandatory training updates, and stronger penalties for failure to safely keep your weapon--all those I could get onboard with, and I think they make a difference.
Not really.

Think of it like how all-encompassing physicians/doctors work.

They see a wide variety of patients at all hours of the day.

This is no different with shrinks, except now they will have to devote more of their time to seeing gun owners to make sure they're sane of mind to keep their weapons and not potentially flip out in a drive-thru line at Burger King............

I can promise you that it is not as hard to enforce/process/whatever the word you wanna use etc etc as one would think.

The point is to find out just how lazy gun owners truly are. If you want to keep your guns, then you should have no problem submitting a psych evaluation proving that you are of your right mind to keep your firearm/weapon for whatever f***ing reason you "need" it...................:D

Not really.

Think of it like how all-encompassing physicians/doctors work.

They see a wide variety of patients at all hours of the day.

This is no different with shrinks, except now they will have to devote more of their time to seeing gun owners to make sure they're sane of mind to keep their weapons and not potentially flip out in a drive-thru line at Burger King............

I can promise you that it is not as hard to enforce/process/whatever the word you wanna use etc etc as one would think.

The point is to find out just how lazy gun owners truly are. If you want to keep your guns, then you should have no problem submitting a psych evaluation proving that you are of your right mind to keep your firearm/weapon for whatever f***ing reason you "need" it...................:D
Yeah, no. This would be enormously complicated and difficult to implement. Besides a guaranteed finding of unconstitutionality by the courts, and a likely uprising by gun nuts, what standard applies to determine one's fitness to own a firearm? How to ensure that there are shrinks all around the country to administer these evals, and how do you pay them? Even if hell froze over and this passed 2A muster, the 5th and 14th mandate due process before deprivation of liberty or property, including likely court proceedings, appeals, etc. Just not workable imo. I'm all for reasonable, common sense gun reform, but this ain't it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT