ADVERTISEMENT

Should Military experience be a pre-requisite for being President?

Aegon_Targaryen

HR All-American
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2014
So you're looking to be the Commander-in-Chief. The ULTIMATE authority over the entire military. As a matter of fact, it is THE most powerful military today and in this planets entire history.

If you are that person, doesn't it make sense to have some actual military experience? Again, you are the Lord and Commander of the worlds most powerful fighting force. You will be made to make decisions that WILL cost lives and will affect your fellow people. Perhaps having that experience will help to make for a better CIC.

In the end, that is what the President is TRULY in charge of. Everything else, is handled jointly with Congress, the senate, etc. The military though is ultimately controlled by the Oval office.

Think of it like this. If a company is changing over CEO's, are you going to put someone in charge that has NO experience whatsoever in the main area of their needed qualifications?

Plus, it's not asking much to be honest. So you have to serve before you can run for election. It's actually a reasonable request IMO. I'm not talking the full ball game where you retire military, and it doesn't matter what branch either. Just that you have a veterans record, that's all. Fair enough don't you think?

Now I already know where this conversation is going to divert and plunge into, but I would like to hear some honest opinions on this. Like or dislike, please explain your feelings on it. Be brutal if needed, I like brutal. Reasonable too, I also like reasonable. Or just be gentle in your thoughts, that's okay also.

No. Being an avowed pacifist should be though.
Yes, but do you want the world to think you won't fight back? Even Ghandi understood the limits of being a Pacifist. I agree that you should always look to settle things peacefully and take a few punches whilst doing so. There are times that you simply aren't able to do that, and you must punch back for your survival and possible for others as well.

Who would be elegible of the current 2016 crop? Webb and ? IMO, if this is important to you, vote accordingly.

I think you make several good points in your pro argument. In the spirit of Devil's advocate I might suggest a downside. The military spends a good deal of time breaking down and training people to think and act uniformly. I'm not sure limiting our leadership to what is essentially a restrictive oligarchic cast is either wise or just. Now if it had the effect of only electing people who could fill out these uniforms, I might go along with it.

spartans.jpg

Who would be elegible of the current 2016 crop? Webb and ? IMO, if this is important to you, vote accordingly.

I think you make several good points in your pro argument. In the spirit of Devil's advocate I might suggest a downside. The military spends a good deal of time breaking down and training people to think and act uniformly. I'm not sure limiting our leadership to what is essentially a restrictive oligarchic cast is either wise or just. Now if it had the effect of only electing people who could fill out these uniforms, I might go along with it.

spartans.jpg

Yes, but it also gives you some insight and understanding of the people whom you may one day Command over. It would give you a sort of look at the humanity behind the uniform. Behind the uniform is a man and woman, that is just like anyone else. Experiencing that helps you to understand that they are not simply tools at your disposal.

That picture is a good choice on your part. Not only does Leonidas remind me of myself, but I'm also reminded of a quote of his.

"Xerxes: It isn't wise to stand against me, Leonidas. Imagine what horrible fate awaits my enemies when I would gladly kill any of my own men for victory.

King Leonidas: And I would die for any one of mine."

This statement is exactly my point.

Last edited:
Yes, but it also gives you some insight and understanding of the people whom you may one day Command over. It would give you a sort of look at the humanity behind the uniform. Behind the uniform is a man and woman, that is just like anyone else. Experiencing that helps you to understand that they are not simply tools at your disposal.
I can see this point. But I think we could flip it. I'd suggest that most Americans see military folks as people by default. But once you are in the organization and being trained to prioritize the mission, soldiers might take on more of the "tool" patina. A soldier might be more willing to use the military, not less. As this point is so variable, that argues for not making it a prerequisite and letting the voters decide IMO.

Yes, but do you want the world to think you won't fight back? Even Ghandi understood the limits of being a Pacifist. I agree that you should always look to settle things peacefully and take a few punches whilst doing so. There are times that you simply aren't able to do that, and you must punch back for your survival and possible for others as well.
Fight back over what, exactly?

When was the last time the US wasn't the aggressor in a war? We are strong enough, well-armed enough, populated enough and isolated enough by two oceans that no one should ever want to bother us. That is, they wouldn't if we weren't the equivalent of a couple stupid kids poking a hornet's nest.

Trade with everyone. Favor no nation over another. Subsidize no foreigners. Mind our own damn business.

More Quakers in the Oval Office and less soldiers, please.:)

So you're looking to be the Commander-in-Chief. The ULTIMATE authority over the entire military. As a matter of fact, it is THE most powerful military today and in this planets entire history.

If you are that person, doesn't it make sense to have some actual military experience? Again, you are the Lord and Commander of the worlds most powerful fighting force. You will be made to make decisions that WILL cost lives and will affect your fellow people. Perhaps having that experience will help to make for a better CIC.

In the end, that is what the President is TRULY in charge of. Everything else, is handled jointly with Congress, the senate, etc. The military though is ultimately controlled by the Oval office.

Think of it like this. If a company is changing over CEO's, are you going to put someone in charge that has NO experience whatsoever in the main area of their needed qualifications?

Plus, it's not asking much to be honest. So you have to serve before you can run for election. It's actually a reasonable request IMO. I'm not talking the full ball game where you retire military, and it doesn't matter what branch either. Just that you have a veterans record, that's all. Fair enough don't you think?

Now I already know where this conversation is going to divert and plunge into, but I would like to hear some honest opinions on this. Like or dislike, please explain your feelings on it. Be brutal if needed, I like brutal. Reasonable too, I also like reasonable. Or just be gentle in your thoughts, that's okay also.

Better yet, we could just have the generals pick which one of their group they would like to have as commander in chief

Reactions: cigaretteman
No.

But you damn well better find some good, level headed advisors with military experience.

I thought the the role of president should be split into two different positions.
1. Commander and Chief.
2. head legislator.
Both positions should go threw congress for approval.
Furthermore, the terms should be offset by 2 years so focus can be on 1 instead of 2 at the same time.

Isn't he looking better and better with time?

You know, come to think of it, you're right. I never thought this country would sink so low that we'd look back fondly on the days of Richard Nixon.

If Hillary get elected, Nixon could end up being on Mt. Rushmore.

Reactions: icu81222

When was the last time the US wasn't the aggressor in a war? We are strong enough, well-armed enough, populated enough and isolated enough by two oceans that no one should ever want to bother us. That is, they wouldn't if we weren't the equivalent of a couple stupid kids poking a hornet's nest.

Trade with everyone. Favor no nation over another. Subsidize no foreigners. Mind our own damn business.

59356654.jpg

No.

But you damn well better find some good, level headed advisors with military experience.

Nope, no war mongering military person,

I was thinking that we don't one of those war mongering military type person, we don't need any more wars........we need a motivator....a Tony Robbins type!

1-Obama-Community-Organizer-Obamacare.jpg

Reactions: mattymoknows

Give "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein a read if you haven't already.

One of the qualities needed in a President, person who has
demonstrated leadership ability. Perhaps he or she was
governor of a state and they displayed great leadership.
General Dwight Eisenhower had leadership ability for all
to see in WWII. A proven leader is needed in the White
House, not someone who was a follower of others.

Obama was a puppet of the Chicago Democrat's
Machine politics. He served a partial term as a
U.S. Senator from Illinois but accomplished nothing.
He never deserved the nomination for President
but beat an inept Hillary Clinton in the primaries

Reactions: IMCC965
Obama was a puppet of the Chicago Democrat's
Machine politics. He served a partial term as a
U.S. Senator from Illinois but accomplished nothing.
He never deserved the nomination for President
but beat an inept Hillary Clinton in the primaries

Poor Lute. Still suffering from Obama Derangement Syndrome, I see.

He's not wrong about him being a puppet. If you don't believe that, you haven't been paying attention.

Going by what he campaigned, and going by what actually happened, you'll see it clear enough.

As much as you want him to be so different, he's not.

No. Being an avowed pacifist should be though.

I certainly don't think they need to have served in the military but I don't think they should be an "avowed pacifist" either. I think Obama has it about right. Play for the peaceful option whenever you can, but in the event that isn't possible blow the hell out of them with an unmanned drone (or a precision special forces strike). Drones aren't the cleanest or prettiest solution, but it's relatively cheap, doesn't put any US lives at risk, and it is fairly effective. The only real issue is collateral damage, but that happens with an invasion too.

Reactions: nowalkin

I like this line of thinking as well.

I some ways I would think that being in the military would make you less qualified to become President. If your background is war it stands to reason that you would be far more likely to use war as first rather than a last option.

The community organizer experiment was a full failure so let's not try that one again

Obama isn't going to be on Mount Rushmore. He hasn't been some all-time great prez. He sold lies of hope and change, didn't deliver on it, and made some blunders along the way. He's also made some good decisions and has a few accomplishments. But JFC you obsessive haters are seriously like the bros who constantly phone up sports radio to bitch about LeBron regardless of if the topic is the Masters tournament or the Super Bowl.

Q: Should military experience be a pre-requesite to becoming prez?
A: HERP HERP DERP BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA COMMUNITY ORGANIZER TERRIBLE CHICAGO HERP DERP.

Q: Anybody got a legit taco recipe?
A:A: HERP HERP DERP BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA COMMUNITY ORGANIZER TERRIBLE CHICAGO HERP DERP.

I can't decide what's worse -- the blind followers who act like the guy is some bulletproof tiger of a human from Hawaii/Kenya, or the folks who can't stop raging regardless of topic and situation. What I do know is that you're all a bunch of mindless cockwallets.

You stole that from Rush Limbaugh who has always said Bush derangement syndrome.

Get some of your own material.

Just like the term wingnut. It was a leftist insult that you maroons stole

Obama isn't going to be on Mount Rushmore. He hasn't been some all-time great prez. He sold lies of hope and change, didn't deliver on it, and made some blunders along the way. He's also made some good decisions and has a few accomplishments. But JFC you obsessive haters are seriously like the bros who constantly phone up sports radio to bitch about LeBron regardless of if the topic is the Masters tournament or the Super Bowl.

Q: Should military experience be a pre-requesite to becoming prez?
A: HERP HERP DERP BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA COMMUNITY ORGANIZER TERRIBLE CHICAGO HERP DERP.

Q: Anybody got a legit taco recipe?
A:A: HERP HERP DERP BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA COMMUNITY ORGANIZER TERRIBLE CHICAGO HERP DERP.

I can't decide what's worse -- the blind followers who act like the guy is some bulletproof tiger of a human from Hawaii/Kenya, or the folks who can't stop raging regardless of topic and situation. What I do know is that you're all a bunch of mindless cockwallets.
Please tell me more about these cockwallets? Can I get one in Filipino?

This is why McCain would have made a scary President. The only way to keep his itchy finger off the button would have been to place it above shoulder height.

I some ways I would think that being in the military would make you less qualified to become President. If your background is war it stands to reason that you would be far more likely to use war as first rather than a last option.

For the love of God, the only thing taught in the military ISN'T war. It's leadership, efficiency, character, integrity, and many other qualities you DON'T get as a community organizer that's on the planet solely to antagonize other people that don't agree with you.

Here's a link to a U.S. Navy Leadership Course/School. Take a look.

https://www.usnwc.edu/Departments---Colleges/Command-Leadership-School-(1).aspx

Reactions: icu81222
This is why McCain would have made a scary President. The only way to keep his itchy finger off the button would have been to place it above shoulder height.

McCain wouldn't have been a scary president because he was in the military. He would have been a scary president because he's a moron that bends with the strongest political wind and has no spine.

One of the qualities needed in a President, person who has
demonstrated leadership ability. Perhaps he or she was
governor of a state and they displayed great leadership.
General Dwight Eisenhower had leadership ability for all
to see in WWII. A proven leader is needed in the White
House, not someone who was a follower of others.
What is your opinion of Trump?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT