• Yes

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 98 77.2%

• Total voters

Radar3454

HR All-American
Dec 21, 2001
Should restaurants/bars be closed except for take out or delivery until covid is improving?

Maybe in some areas. Is there real data that shows rises in cases are coming from bars and restaurants? I haven't bothered to look at the demographics in a while. It seems like the people who are mostly at risk are taking the proper precautions by keeping kids out of school and avoiding situations/places where they are mostly likely to catch it (at least with the people I've talked to).

Some areas (Miami) are just never going to come down in cases until there is herd immunity (if there is such a thing with this).

Should restaurants/bars be closed except for take out or delivery until covid is improving?

If the #1 goal is to limit the spread and start seeing a decrease in cases, then yes. Without coming out and saying it, the majority of our leaders have prioritized the economy over the virus (with the assumption that a vaccine is on the way). I'm fine with that until we see a growing increase in deaths. As bad of leadership that Covid Kim has been displaying lately, I agree with her that the virus is here to stay and we have to learn to live with it.

The elderly/immuno-compromised should continue to lie low this winter...the healthy should get on with their lives albeit wear masks and socially distance for the good of their fellow men & women. A lot of Iowans are still struggling with that, however.

Depends on the location, probably.

I haven’t eaten inside a restaurant in nearly 8 months. However, I will go inside a restaurant to get something to go without concern.

My entire anti-COVID strategy has been to move around and not stay in one place too long, especially indoors. I miss going out to eat, but I’m not going to plant myself in one spot for an hour. So it’s takeout or bust, regardless of what the rules are for dine-in.

I think this is where we are. Don't force them completely closed but go back to distancing requirements.
I also think it depends on how the place is set up. This is a super specific reference but Yanni's in Ankeny is mostly booths which are back-to-back-to-back-etc... The backs of each booth have plexi-glass separators that go up dang near the ceiling. The staff are all masked up. I have only been in for carryout but I would consider eating there.

Maybe you should show ID at the door and if you are 60 or over you can’t go in.

put a scale at the door, if you are obese you don’t go in either.

if you really want to save lives.

The Fatso Totalitarian Governor of the state in which I reside recently shut down indoor seating for bars and restaurants in the county in which I reside. The problem is the County Health Department for the county in which I reside provides a COVID dashbord Among the data included on the dashborad is "COVID-19 Reported Outbreaks by Setting". Bars and restaurants rank 11th on the list, representing a meager .7% of confirmed cases.

Clearly, the Fatso Totalitarian is a science denier more interested in exploiting the intellectually defenseless.

Without coming out and saying it, the majority of our leaders have prioritized the economy over the virus (with the assumption that a vaccine is on the way). I'm fine with that until we see a growing increase in deaths. As bad of leadership that Covid Kim has been displaying lately, I agree with her that the virus is here to stay and we have to learn to live with it.

The bureaucrats priorities seem to differ significantly based on one's locale. For example, in the county I live the Fatso Totalitarian Governor recently closed down all indoor bar and restaurant service despite the fact the County Health Department data shows restaurants and bars are only responsible for a nearly imperceptible .7% of COVID cases. Clearly, the Fatso Totalitarian hasn't prioritized either the economy or the virus since his actions do nothing to help the virus and plenty to damage the economy.

More imortantly, over time, the virus doesn't seem to care about one's locale, implying it doesn't care about the bureaucrats priorities. The obvious question this begs, is why should bureaucrats be able to dictate the priorities of individual citizens?

Reactions: Coach_Fry
I voted yes on the assumption shutdowns are local in areas of high virus spread and increasing hospitalizations. The shutdowns are going to happen either by mandate or by consumers getting spooked by a virus that's out of control. I'd also like to see targeted relief to ease the decisions on whether to stay open.

For every level of public activity and mitigation practices there's a corresponding level of virus spread. The virus spread is currently increasing to an unknown level and I'm afraid that level will be unacceptable once found.

I voted no. We have continued to either eat at local establishments outdoors - inside a handful of times - and gotten plenty of carry out to try and help keep them afloat.

No, not unless there is definitive proof that they are the cause of the current transmission.
Why bars and restaurants? Why not other businesses and activities?
It's an oversimplification to think that blindly closing a subset of private businesses will do anything to make a meaningful difference.

Closed? No

Mandatory masks, spacing and lower maximum seating requirements? Yep

Why bars and restaurants? Why not other businesses and activities?
Because you can engage in "other business and activity" while still wearing your mask.

Get the numbers down, so you can reopen the restaurants and bars. That's your "carrot".

Reactions: Tom Paris
No.

Covid is spreading in living rooms and kitchen tables. If you’re gonna make it illegal to eat at a restaurant’s table then make it illegal to eat at your neighbor’s table. If not then stfu and stop blaming bars/restaurants while stopping at your sister’s house for coffee Saturday mornings.
What a great comparison!!! Your logic is sensational!

This is where I do my drinking...

baileypatio*1200xx3264-1836-0-306.jpg

Incendiary Brewing has this huge space and they have set up tables out here for customers. They'll refuse service to anyone who leaves their table without a mask. And they have pretty good brews. Good folks. I don't dine or drink inside anywhere now - it's either outside or pick-up. Too many asshats not wearing masks.

Reactions: Joes Place
I think this is where we are. Don't force them completely closed but go back to distancing requirements.

Are there places that are not following distancing requirements? Every place I have been in has been, and still is, doing so. (Note - I am not really a "bar" visitor, so my experience would be regular restaurants and bar/grills.)

Also, my understanding is that whatever additional COVID cases we are seeing are not tracing back to restaurants. If that is so, then it would really be silly to shut down something that isn't leading to infections.

Reactions: mcgrawfsu
Depends on the location, probably.

I haven’t eaten inside a restaurant in nearly 8 months. However, I will go inside a restaurant to get something to go without concern.

My entire anti-COVID strategy has been to move around and not stay in one place too long, especially indoors. I miss going out to eat, but I’m not going to plant myself in one spot for an hour. So it’s takeout or bust, regardless of what the rules are for dine-in.

Just an FYI...I have probably eaten 75-100 meals inside sit down restaurants since they reopened about 4-ish months ago and I haven't had COVID. I have actually increased the number of times I visit such establishments as a way to throw some support their way while things are otherwise down for them. Talking to people that work/own such places, there is no signal from them that they are experiencing COVID outbreaks either.

I don't think sit down restaurants are where the greater case numbers are coming from. But that is an opinion based on personal experience and observations, not a scientific study.

Are there places that are not following distancing requirements? Every place I have been in has been, and still is, doing so. (Note - I am not really a "bar" visitor, so my experience would be regular restaurants and bar/grills.)

Also, my understanding is that whatever additional COVID cases we are seeing are not tracing back to restaurants. If that is so, then it would really be silly to shut down something that isn't leading to infections.

at one point, there was a report that something like 30% of recent positives were from people that had eaten in a restaurant in the last two weeks. That's been a couple of weeks so it's certainly possible that is not the case still today. I thought that the limitations had been lifted so I could be wrong.

at one point, there was a report that something like 30% of recent positives were from people that had eaten in a restaurant in the last two weeks. That's been a couple of weeks so it's certainly possible that is not the case still today. I thought that the limitations had been lifted so I could be wrong.

OK, I am not 100% sure either. But I have been in probably 15-20 different restaurants over the past 4-5 months and can only think of one that really hasn't changed their practices due to COVID. All, except for the one mentioned, continue to employ mitigation strategies and none have related any significant COVID problem with employees/customers, etc. FWIW.

Reactions: hawkbirch
The bar and restaurant limitations are still in place. They are the only businesses being required to limit capacity and ensure social distancing.

From what I've heard, the majority of the transmission is gatherings of friends and family. Those who feel comfortable enough around each other to not wear masks and spend time in extended close contact with them.

The bar and restaurant limitations are still in place. They are the only businesses being required to limit capacity and ensure social distancing.

From what I've heard, the majority of the transmission is gatherings of friends and family. Those who feel comfortable enough around each other to not wear masks and spend time in extended close contact with them.

Also FWIW...all of the most recent cases of COVID that I am aware do include a common denominator...family/friends gatherings of say 10-20+ people in relatively close quarters. Think family reunion, birthday parties, etc. 2-4 days later...people feeling puny and then testing positive.

Even more interesting to me...some of the people that then ended up contracting the virus via these social gatherings are school teachers, etc, and only one additional person that I know of then caught the COVID from them in a school setting. No kids whatsoever got it.

This is one school, not a widespread study, so make of it what you will. But I do find it quite interesting that several people traced back to one family/friend gathering with at least two adults then teaching children in a classroom over the next couple of days before testing positive. Over a week later...no kids got it, only the secretary.

It just doesn't seem to get on the kids hardly at all. FWIW.

When the teachers were so vocal about not wanting to go back to work, they said the kids were going to give it to them.
Turns out, it's the teachers catching it outside of school and potentially putting kids at risk.
But, agreed, the kids largely aren't getting it, and the numbers remain low in children, even a good 8 weeks after in person school has resumed for many.

Turns out, it's the teachers catching it outside of school and potentially putting kids at risk.

At "bars" and "weddings".
Literally happened at the school my sister works at in WI.
Young teacher went to a wedding where no one wore masks. Came back positive, and over a dozen others at that school had to quarantine for 2 weeks in early October.

Literally, a week after returning from quarantine, another case, so 2 more weeks now.
Sooner or later, you run out of teachers.

ADVERTISEMENT