ADVERTISEMENT

Should the B1G even schedule SEC schools?

"But if nothing is done, the message is that cheating is O.K. " That's exactly the message the NCAA is sending to it's members, especially the big boys. If they don't start hurting their pocketbook, nothing will change. It's frustrating for other schools who do try to follow the rules.

...or Arizona or Kansas...

Frustrating: https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/21/college-basketball-scandal-sec-recruiting-daily-cover

Somebody has to do something. The NCAA won’t.

Pretty amazing. There is so little incentive to not cheat, that it will keep happening. They have created a scenario where if you aren't cheating you aren't really trying. NCAA is hesitant to do anything as putting a multi-year ban on a blueblood or suspending programs at bluebloods will have repercussions for the NCAA tournament. NCAA makes most of its money from that, so that's why the powerful teams are rarely if ever hit hard.

Pretty amazing. There is so little incentive to not cheat, that it will keep happening. They have created a scenario where if you aren't cheating you aren't really trying. NCAA is hesitant to do anything as putting a multi-year ban on a blueblood or suspending programs at bluebloods will have repercussions for the NCAA tournament. NCAA makes most of its money from that, so that's why the powerful teams are rarely if ever hit hard.
Is KU suspended from this years tourney? I had someone tell me that today, and I couldn't remember, its been so long, and such a mess since this past seasons March madness was cancelled.

Why criticize the NCAA for lack of enforcement or fairness and give a pass to the US Congress, er, the Republicans in that outfit who held an impeachment "trial" but refused to allow evidence or testimony because they knew the defendant, aka, the prez, was guilty? Ever heard of such a thing? Sure, it happens in other dictatorships all the time . . . China, Russia, Brazil, Venezuela . . . but in the freakin' United States of America?!

If you wanna get pissed off, at least do it over something that really, REALLY matters. Don't be a hypocrite and blast the NCAA over such trivialities as college sports while giving the current administration in DC a pass when it holds people's lives and fortunes in its corrupt hands.

BTW: NO. The Big Ten should NOT schedule known cheaters, even if some of their players could grow up to be president.

Reactions: perryhawk
Why criticize the NCAA for lack of enforcement or fairness and give a pass to the US Congress, er, the Republicans in that outfit who held an impeachment "trial" but refused to allow evidence or testimony because they knew the defendant, aka, the prez, was guilty? Ever heard of such a thing? Sure, it happens in other dictatorships all the time . . . China, Russia, Brazil, Venezuela . . . but in the freakin' United States of America?!

If you wanna get pissed off, at least do it over something that really, REALLY matters. Don't be a hypocrite and blast the NCAA over such trivialities as college sports while giving the current administration in DC a pass when it holds people's lives and fortunes in its corrupt hands.

BTW: NO. The Big Ten should NOT schedule known cheaters, even if some of their players could grow up to be president.
Your political rantings that are directed at nobody in particular are increasingly deranged dude. Nobody’s mind is being changed here and these posts serve only to annoy and derail higher quality conversation. Please, for the love of God, stop.

"But if nothing is done, the message is that cheating is O.K. " That's exactly the message the NCAA is sending to it's members, especially the big boys. If they don't start hurting their pocketbook, nothing will change. It's frustrating for other schools who do try to follow the rules.
Sub the words BAD BOYS for big boys.

Raptor I know you aren’t one of Fran’s biggest fans but rampant cheating in CBB is one reason why you should be a huge supporter. Fran refuses to roll around in the mud like the majority of coaches. That should be commended.

I like Fran. I think Fran is a good coach. I’ve said it many times here.

I also appreciate the fact that he is clean and has been clean his entire career. If you can’t get behind that, then you’re not really a college basketball fan.
However, I also know that there are lots of clean coaches at the high D1 level who win at a high level. Beilein was one. Matt Painter is one. Gard is one. Few is one. There are lots.

Not being a cheating or abusive scumbag is the absolute minimum job requirement. It’s sad that coaches of some of the nation’s most prominent programs can’t meet it, and even sadder that their institutions not only continue to employ them but treat them like kings.

It has to change.

Last edited:
Raptor I know you aren’t one of Fran’s biggest fans but rampant cheating in CBB is one reason why you should be a huge supporter. Fran refuses to roll around in the mud like the majority of coaches. That should be commended.
Almost every fan base thinks it’s their coach that doesn’t recruit in the gray area. I will say that the BT has fewer head coaches that stray into the gray area than most conferences.

Reactions: TJHall1
Almost every fan base thinks it’s their coach that doesn’t recruit in the gray area. I will say that the BT has fewer head coaches that stray into the gray area than most conferences.

Huge difference between the gray area and what some of these teams are doing.

Illinois — Antigua is sketchy AF. Has already been fired for unethical behavior at South Florida. Underwood involved with hijinks at Ok St.
Indiana -- Miller’s brother is a proven scumbag but I haven’t heard even rumors of Archie cheating
Iowa — Fran and staff are clean. No hints otherwise throughout his entire career.
Maryland — rumors that Turgeon plays grey.
Michigan — Howard is clean. Michigan athletics/boosters? Not likely.
Michigan State — Izzo has contributed to creating a free for all rape culture there but he probably doesn’t pay recruits (with money anyway).
Minnesota— can the apple fall far from the tree?
Nebraska — Hoiberg not known for recruiting high character kids but he doesn’t pay them.
Northwestern — collins is clean.
Ohio State — Holtmann is clean as far as I know. The rest of the athletic department/boosters? Doubtful.
Penn State— chambers so clean he’s fired. No one cares enough to cheat there.
Purdue — Painter is clean
Rutgers — pikiell is clean
Wisconsin — Gard is clean

Except for the usual suspect(s), the B1G is comparatively wholesome.

Reactions: Bee93 and BBHawk
Not basketball, but another perfect example today at LSU. Seems as though the football players were receiving money from Odell Beckman Jr. and a recruit's dad received six figures to steer his son to LSU. In response, LSU has decided they will self police and limit the amount of scholarships they give out and ban Beckman from their facilities for two whole years. Wow, that ought to bring them to their knees.

Not basketball, but another perfect example today at LSU. Seems as though the football players were receiving money from Odell Beckman Jr. and a recruit's dad received six figures to steer his son to LSU. In response, LSU has decided they will self police and limit the amount of commits they buy and ban Beckman from their facilities for two whole years. Wow, that ought to bring them to their knees.
Fify

Reactions: Ronman

This the precise reason people know that there are dishonest officials, interested in the outcome. The status quo is enormously profitable for the media that broadcast, air or stream it and ultimately to the member institutions that sell the product to the media and apparel companies.

There is almost nothing that can be done without disrupting enormously valuable for economic interests. No one on the receiving end of all that money has any interest in disrupting enormously valuable economic interests. Even if some actual person wanted to clean up the NCAA who would have the courage. Career suicide. The person that aired any dirty laundry would never be trusted with an important job anywhere for the rest of their life.

The dark on the other side of the fire is much darker than most people choose to think.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
I like Fran. I think Fran is a good coach. I’ve said it many times here.

I also appreciate the fact that he is clean and has been clean his entire career. If you can’t get behind that, then you’re not really a college basketball fan.
However, I also know that there are lots of clean coaches at the high D1 level who win at a high level. Beilein was one. Matt Painter is one. Gard is one. Few is one. There are lots.

Not being a cheating or abusive scumbag is the absolute minimum job requirement. It’s sad that coaches of some of the nation’s most prominent programs can’t meet it, and even sadder that their institutions not only continue to employ them but treat them like kings.

It has to change.

I agree with what you said....I also think those coaches you mentioned represent what 5% or less? Of the major D1 programs?

Separately, the FBI has to have gotten the attention of some of the recruiters out there.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Almost is right. I’m guessing Illinois’ fan base isn’t one of them, though. Messing with you a little bit there. Still, as much as I appreciate your contributions to this board, I’d steer clear of this topic with Iowa fans, lol.

The NCAA is first, and foremost, a business enterprise. Everything else is secondary to that.

ADVERTISEMENT