ADVERTISEMENT

Should the United States demand Ukraine have an election before any more aid is given?

I don’t know and don’t want to research it. How often does it happen that elections have been suspended in democratic countries due to war in say…the last 50-60 years of modern warfare?

It's a legit question for those loud mouth Chicken Littles who pretend we are nearing the end of democracy here, while demanding we give all of our money to a country who has stopped their own democracy.

If we had a war here and Trump was president and wanted to hold off on elections, I'm sure you'd all be just fine with that. But please, let's not bring anything like that up. Uncomfortable truthiness should be avoided at all costs on here, I guess.
From a WP article - "Late last year, Trump, who is the leading contender for the Republican nomination, called on his social network Truth Social for terminating “all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution,” in a post on his social network Truth Social."

Then add his dictator for a day comment...maybe someday you'll actually pay attention to what the cult leader is saying. Start taking this crap seriously. It's not a joke. None of us find you remotely funny.

• Love
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
This is a sad post.
War sucks. In a perfect world what do you see as a conclusion? Russian pulls out, apologizes, and promises trillions in reparations and rebuilding help?

Crazy thing is, if Ukraine wins it likely costs the west more money because they will be bankrolling the rebuild.

Why has this administration been slow walking military aid the entire time? I think the worn out excuse that we don't want to provoke Russia has gone by the wayside. It appears to me we are just propping up the US MIC since they no longer have Afghanistan revenue. If we really wanted to end the Ukraine thing, we could do that in a day or two.
Yeah that would be a smart thing to do. :rolleyes:

War sucks. In a perfect world what do you see as a conclusion? Russian pulls out, apologizes, and promises trillions in reparations and rebuilding help?

Crazy thing is, if Ukraine wins it likely costs the west more money because they will be bankrolling the rebuild.
Really. You don't think Ukraine would receive forgivable and/or zero interest loans. Zero grants? I wonder which countries will receive contracts for this reconstruction? Edit: Are you this naive as to how it works?

They're supposed to have one in March. But Zelensky declared Marshall law and the elections have been canceled. In other words, "Democracy is dead" in Ukraine. Weird how the Dems are giving full throated support of that while screaming their heads off about "the end of Democracy" here in the USA. Make up your mind Dems. Geesh.

If the US did this, the Magats in the House would just add this "crime" to President Biden's list of impeachable offenses.

lol

Really. You don't think Ukraine would receive forgivable and/or zero interest loans. Zero grants? I wonder which countries will receive contracts for this reconstruction? Edit: Are you this naive as to how it works?
Loans with like 100 year zero interest?

Are you naive enough to think rebuilding Ukraine is akin to financing a new F150 for five years?

Loans are not free. United States loaned the United Kingdom $3.75 billion at about 2% in 1946 to rebuild. They finished paying it off 2006. Ukraine will need a lot more than that and their economy isn’t close to the United Kingdom.

Anybody want their financial institution that has their 401k to make rebuilding investments in Ukraine? Let’s keep it real, a Ukrainian rebuild will cost the United States trillions more.

Last edited:
Loans with like 100 year zero interest?

Are you naive enough to think rebuilding Ukraine is akin to financing a new F150 for five years?

Loans are not free.
Holy shit. Take a look at Iraq. Edit: From what countries will the reconstruction companies come from?

I've been a big defender of Ukraine but I find this move unacceptable.

We held an election in the midst of a civil war in this country. We held one during World War 2 as well.

They should find a way to hold one.

No we didn’t hold a fair election during the Civil War. For some reason 9 states were blocked from voting and only in certain areas were 6 other states allowed to vote. Only in the 18 states were they allowed to vote democratically.

Reactions: fredjr82
Honestly. Anybody Just post your realistic conclusion on this

Ukraine is going to run out of bodies. I don’t see any country putting boots on the ground.

It’s very easy to just cheer them on but what is the end game?

Honestly. Anybody Just post your realistic conclusion on this

Ukraine is going to run out of bodies. I don’t see any country putting boots on the ground.
If it's about economics then I am not sure Russia taking over Ukraine and bordering Western European nations is going to cost less than now.

I have been to Europe 4 times since the invasion. I have met numerous Ukrainian refugees. I was shocked at how many were military age men with no intention of returning to fight.

Why is that shocking? During the Revolutionary War about 15% of military age white men fought for the Patriots and about 5% of military age white men fought for the British. That means 80% didn’t suit up for either side.

And during WW2 with war on three front taking, the Greatest Generation had about 14% who actually fought and about 30% who were either in uniform or providing related services like global transport or building war machines.

If it's about economics then I am not sure Russia taking over Ukraine and bordering Western European nations is going to cost less than now.
I would be interested in a podcast from Peter Zeihan. He seems to be a decent source on breaking down international trends and economics. Didn’t find anything recent.

I don’t blame them from fleeing. It’s just when you take out the human factor and start adding up numbers it doesn’t look good for Ukraine.

Also, isn’t what they are fighting for basically destroyed cities and wasteland now? Who the heck has the money to finance a few trillion in infrastructure rebuild? Unless Ukraine marches down red square in total victory you can bet Russia isn’t paying a dime.

It’s been enlightening to see how much better western military tech is when compared to the Russian hardware but at the end of the day you have a country left in ashes and hundreds of thousands of dead.
If they won’t fight for their country they have no right expecting any one else to. They also have no right to expect other countries to bankrupt themselves for a cause they are unwilling to fight for.

Why is that shocking? During the Revolutionary War about 15% of military age white men fought for the Patriots and about 5% of military age white men fought for the British. That means 80% didn’t suit up for either side.

And during WW2 with war on three front taking, the Greatest Generation had about 14% who actually fought and about 30% who were either in uniform or providing related services like global transport or building war machines.
The privileged flee and the middle class and poor fight. They are more like Americans than ever.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
If they won’t fight for their country they have no right expecting any one else to. They also have no right to expect other countries to bankrupt themselves for a cause they are unwilling to fight for.

Bankrupt themselves? The US spent $80 billion on Ukraine. The annual US budget is now $6,134 billion or $6.13 trillion. So that’s a tiny bit of the budget to corral our greatest adversary.

Bankrupt themselves? The US spent $80 billion on Ukraine. The annual US budget is now $6,134 billion or $6.13 trillion. So that’s a tiny bit of the budget to corral our greatest adversary.
Every bit of the Ukrainian aid is borrowed. Kind of convenient you left that out.

Probably should be pressuring them, for sure. But given the Russians propensity for attacking civilians letting them know in advance where many civilians are going to be congregating probably isn't the safest thing to do and wouldn't provide a legitimate election anyway since many people would be too afraid to show up to vote. Or maybe they wouldn't, who knows how being invaded and having your sovereignty threatened could affect people's resolve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT