ADVERTISEMENT

Should the US Be Kicked Out of NATO?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Our NATO partners seem to think Trump is either a joke or a lunatic - but in either case, DANGEROUS.

What if they kicked us out of NATO?

What would happen to NATO?

What would that mean for us?

I think the US no longer has a place in NATO at least as long has Trump is dictating things at a ridiculous level. A temporary suspension might be appropriate.

I think the more we isolate ourselves, by our choice or by others, Noam Chomsky's words will ring true—we'll be viewed as a rogue imperialist state, and not just by career dissenters like Chomsky, but by the general sentiment of the world—and its markets.

Isolation can be a slippery slope.

France, UK and likely Germany have nukes. Russia isn't invading Europe even if we aren't a factor. You Russians aren't that strong.

Germany does not have nukes, but wouldn't take them long to get them should they ever decide to.

IIRC, they are/were part of a nuclear sharing program so that if crap ever hit the fan with Russia we would delegate some of our nuclear weapons to them for their own use since at that point NPT wouldn't really matter.

Germany does not have nukes, but wouldn't take them long to get them should they ever decide to.

IIRC, they are/were part of a nuclear sharing program so that if crap ever hit the fan with Russia we would delegate some of our nuclear weapons to them for their own use since at that point NPT wouldn't really matter.
I recognize that might be the official line, but I suspect Germany has nukes. The larger point is Europe isn't defenseless and isn't free for a Russian invasion even if the US were to pull out.

I recognize that might be the official line, but I suspect Germany has nukes. The larger point is Europe isn't defenseless and isn't free for a Russian invasion even if the US were to pull out.

A little naive.

Our NATO partners seem to think Trump is either a joke or a lunatic - but in either case, DANGEROUS.

PARTY!

tumblr_njr9nvsWeW1si3gq6o1_r1_500.gif

Reactions: HawktimusPrime
I don't think the geo-political conditions are like they were in 1939... so, I'm not even sure how NATO is technically a necessary entity other than to keep those tribal lines drawn. "You're over there, I'm over here! Don't cross my line!"

Reactions: Boris_Badenov
France, UK and likely Germany have nukes. Russia isn't invading Europe even if we aren't a factor. You Russians aren't that strong.

No. Germany is prohibited from having nukes... and even though they have the capacity to develop them over a long weekend they don't want them.

Reactions: goldmom
Moreover, Germany would like to have more open dealings and trade with Russia - which are hampered now by the need to follow sanctions that the US has insisted upon.

It would mean they're on their own. We make up over 60% of both the funding and troop supply of it. Probably closer to 70% actually.

Naive is thinking they would use the nukes.
Where I see it as naive to think a nation would let themselves be taken over and not use them. That's like breaking into your house knowing you are standing behind the door with a gun and expecting you to refrain from killing me as i take your stuff. Good luck with that rainbows and unicorns thinking.

When did you become a hippy and when did you think that spread to the Germans? I think you got yourself stuck in a stupid argument and your pride won't let you escape. Don't expect a lifeline from me.

Where I see it as naive to think a nation would let themselves be taken over and not use them. That's like breaking into your house knowing you are standing behind the door with a gun and expecting you to refrain from killing me as i take your stuff. Good luck with that rainbows and unicorns thinking.

When did you become a hippy and when did you think that spread to the Germans? I think you got yourself stuck in a stupid argument and your pride won't let you escape. Don't expect a lifeline from me.

So Germany gets taken over, or, their entire country becomes a wasteland for decades.

It's funny to watch you get into the mind of world leaders.

Let's see, most of our people live and are occupied, or they all die. Sure glad you're not a world leader

So Germany gets taken over, or, their entire country becomes a wasteland for decades.

It's funny to watch you get into the mind of world leaders.

Let's see, most of our people live and are occupied, or they all die. Sure glad you're not a world leader
Likely neither if they have nukes they are willing to use. But it's fun to watch you go shit for brains. Countries with nukes don't get invaded. Derp!

Likely neither if they have nukes they are willing to use. But it's fun to watch you go shit for brains. Countries with nukes don't get invaded. Derp!
It's interesting that we don't hear much about tensions between India and Pakistan these days.

I suppose the question is "why would a nation with nukes invade another nation with nukes when they could just bomb them?"

N.Korea may prove to be the exception. Although, again, why invade when you can just bomb?

Reactions: naturalmwa

I say good. Let them take care of their own backyard - we got the ME and North Korea to screw with.

Reactions: naturalmwa
As of 2014, a significant proportion of Germany's military aircraft were reported to be unserviceable. It has been reported that the Sea Lynx helicopters have experienced cracking in their tails, that around half of the Eurofighters and Tornadoes are not currently airworthy, and that the aging C-160 fleet remains in limited service while waiting for the introduction of the Airbus A400M, the first of which was delivered in December 2014. Ursula von der Leyen admitted that due to the poor state of the Bundeswehr's equipment, Germany was no longer able to fulfill its NATO commitments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Air_Force

ADVERTISEMENT