ADVERTISEMENT

Should We Object If Israel Annexes the West Bank?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I'm thinking it's a weird message to give Ukraine billions to oppose Russia's annexation attempts while continuing to support Israel if it acts to annex the West Bank.

Now I'm not suggesting we give HIMARS, Predators or Patriots to the Palestinians, but what should we do? Anything?
"The new government includes ultranationalist and ultraorthodox parties that are calling openly for the annexation of the West Bank."​

Reactions: BelemNole
Ok…so one reason Israel may have been slow to support Ukraine. Didn’t consider that aspect.

Object? Yes. Do anything about it? No.

That fight will go on for 1000 more years no matter how many people we directly or indirectly kill with our taxpayer money.

Would be a good opportunity for one of those sternly worded letters from POTUS.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Should we object if Russia annexes Lithuania? If North Korea annexes South Korea? The Apache nation annexes Arizona? Ireland annexes Northern Ireland (actually, I'd be fine with that one)?

No, we shouldn't be ok with Israel annexing West Bank or Gaza. What's their claim as far as why they're taking it? They won both during an invasion 3000 years ago but haven't controlled it in more than 2400 years? Nah, it's not that.

What's the statute of limitations on being ok with a country taking over territory?

We owe it to everyone not to stand by and let other countries just decide they're going to take over territory that doesn't belong to them.
Being the world’s self-appointed judge, jury, policeman and executioner has contributed mightily to the 30 trillion dollar debt and resulted in abject failure (except for M.I.C. investors; they’ve done VERY well for themselves).

We don’t ‘owe’ anyone.

We owe it to everyone not to stand by and let other countries just decide they're going to take over territory that doesn't belong to them.
What are we doing in Syria?

We’re actively partitioning a sovereign state, and the crazy thing is the WH is just doing it on the momentum of the last intervention, which was ostensibly to help clean up the mess of previous intervention, which itself was to clean up the mess of the previous intervention…

Just… stop.

This notion we know best what territory belongs to whom is at the root of the failed ‘nation building’ in Afghanistan.

To quote someone who made a few trips over there:

Land tenure - there are folks claiming land based allegedly on titles/deeds from about 40 years ago and probably longer crawling out of the woodwork again. So going back to the ISAF days and even now - if you built a project to help the folks on a contested piece of land then you are going to irritate the contesting party. Nobody has a clue who owns what which is something people in less conflict-prone countries sorted out a couple of centuries ago and had means to resolve them through a due process.

Tribal disputes - again these go back years and the tribes were perfectly happy to align with whoever would best further their interests. Any tribe aligning itself with ISAF for instance would trigger the opposing tribe to align with the Taliban. There are heaps of confederations, sub-tribes and the like within Afghanistan. Again this is still playing out now, I think I've read two reports in the past fortnight about tribal disputes undergoing arbitration with the local Taliban leadership. There was also a case this week that I read where a group of Kuchis (nomads) are demanding something in the order of $60,000 compensation from villagers in Behsud District, Maidan Wardak Province for one of their number allegedly being murdered 40 years ago.

Then you had the government ... which had to be ethnically balanced in order to stop itself ripping itself to pieces. The majority of the ethnic figureheads protected their own. Take 'Commander Alipoor' a fairly unpleasant ex-bus driver who commanded his own Hazara militia in Behsud District which 'protected' the resident population from the Kuchis. That same militia also shook down travellers en-route to Bamyan and numerous other acts of unpleasantness. He was quite rightly arrested and banged up for this and other crimes. But he got let out because Second Vice President Danesh a Hazara lobbied for his release. Militia belonging to this creature notoriously shot down an ANDSF helicopter in March 2021 and you've guessed it, the Second Vice President would not condemn Alipoor and Mohammad Mohaqqeq who was a senior politician at the time and also a Hazara urged people not to act too hastily. The timing of this event was about a fortnight before districts started falling like ninepins to start the chain of events leading to the fall of Kabul five months later. So the moral of that one was ... well who do you support because it seems they're all as bad as each other.

The whole sorry saga of Alipoor here ...

Who is Alipoor, aka Commander Shamshir? | TOLOnews

MoD: Army Helicopter in Behsud Downed by Alipoor | TOLOnews

Behsud Incident: Alipoor Continues to Evade Arrest | TOLOnews

Govt's Reaction to Alipoor Met With Cries for Caution | TOLOnews

Behsud Situation: MPs Call for Alipoor’s Arrest | TOLOnews

Behsud: Danesh Says Govt Must Ensure Justice to Stop Fighting | TOLOnews

I vote no, let Israel annex the entire West Bank. Israel is the only official State that has the ability to effectively govern the territory. Jordan once gave citizenship to any and all Palestinians in the West Bank, let them do it again if they truly care about their Arab brothers and sisters. Israel is the only recognized state that actually wants to govern the area. Why doesn’t the conversation include Jordan’s refusal or at least their weakness in leading the Palestinians? Jordan surrendered their claim decades ago.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I vote no, let Israel annex the entire West Bank. Israel is the only official State that has the ability to effectively govern the territory. Jordan once gave citizenship to any and all Palestinians in the West Bank, let them do it again if they truly care about their Arab brothers and sisters. Israel is the only recognized state that actually wants to govern the area. Why doesn’t the conversation include Jordan’s refusal or at least their weakness in leading the Palestinians? Jordan surrendered their claim decades ago.
So it's Jordan's fault?

Reactions: cigaretteman
It’s not an all or not but yes, it can be argued that Jordan could have done better in the past and do more going forward. Without them, it’s basically proxy governments running the show.
This is BS. The fingers should be pointed at Zionism.

I'm thinking it's a weird message to give Ukraine billions to oppose Russia's annexation attempts while continuing to support Israel if it acts to annex the West Bank.

Now I'm not suggesting we give HIMARS, Predators or Patriots to the Palestinians, but what should we do? Anything?
"The new government includes ultranationalist and ultraorthodox parties that are calling openly for the annexation of the West Bank."​

Yes. We should object.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT