ADVERTISEMENT

Showed toughness.. If we could rebound

Seemed like there were a few stretches where Illinois went on a run and kept getting 2nd chances off of offensive rebounds. I didn't see much boxing out. Our guys don't consistently look around to see if there's anybody near them when shots go up. Boxing out is not that difficult to teach, it can make a difference. Might be time to look for an assistant coach who knows how to teach rebounding and/or defense.

We need to stop waiting for the ball to bounce into our hands and aggressively go after it,.. That's really all it would take at this point... Doing that alone would have given us at least three more possessions last night which could have changed the outcome of what became a two point loss...

Speaking of toughness... does it seem like Garza plays better after he gets beaten on with a no call? In the second half, he took an arm to the face on one of the Illinois drives (should have been reviewed for a flagrant, but... of course not), then he came down and dominated for a few possessions. He also took over after Cockburn threw the elbow into his back as Garza schooled him on the baseline.

BAU for our players getting hit with cheap shots and not even getting a review, but at least with Garza, he steps up to the challenge and makes the other team pay for pissing him off.

Maybe we need Dennis Rodman to come and show the kids how to do it. Wasn't the most athletic but coyld rebound

You do realize we out rebounded Illinois and shot 48% from 3
And?..........

Also, we were 6-16 from 3-pt with 7:41 to go, down by 13. We made our next 3 attempts as part of our comeback. But then again, I never said anything about 3 pt shooting, so.................

A big part of the problem is zone.

There were multiple times where Garza and Kriener both boxed out the same person and left the opposite side open for an easy rebound.

Its next to impossible to box everyone out in a zone.

Speaking of toughness... does it seem like Garza plays better after he gets beaten on with a no call? In the second half, he took an arm to the face on one of the Illinois drives (should have been reviewed for a flagrant, but... of course not), then he came down and dominated for a few possessions. He also took over after Cockburn threw the elbow into his back as Garza schooled him on the baseline.

BAU for our players getting hit with cheap shots and not even getting a review, but at least with Garza, he steps up to the challenge and makes the other team pay for pissing him off.

Garza is an amazing player, and he has my respect, but you guys are not alone in thinking your bigs don’t get the calls they deserve. Ask any other Big Ten fan base, and they’ll say Garza gets away with PLENTY.

The refs aren’t out to get anyone.

Garza is an amazing player, and he has my respect, but you guys are not alone in thinking your bigs don’t get the calls they deserve. Ask any other Big Ten fan base, and they’ll say Garza gets away with PLENTY.

The refs aren’t out to get anyone.

well, it would be nice if officials actually called contact when it happens. Garza has literally had his lip split open, requiring stitches, but no foul was called. I’ve no doubt he’s gotten away with stuff, but that’s a reflection of poor officiating in general.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT