ADVERTISEMENT

Shudak named Big Ten special teams player of the week

Apr 8, 2003
Shudak Named B1G Special Teams Player of the Week

IOWA CITY, Iowa
-- University of Iowa senior kicker Caleb Shudak has been named Big Ten Conference Special Teams Player of the Week for his play in the Hawkeyes’ 28-21 win at Nebraska. The announcement was made Monday by the Big Ten office.

Shudak (5-foot-8, 178-pounds) is a native of Council Bluffs, Iowa, who joined the Iowa program as a walk-on. He connected on all four field goal attempts against Nebraska, connecting from 51, 48, 36, and 44 yards. The four made field goals matches a career high, set the previous week in Iowa’s 33-23 win over Illinois.

Shudak had made a career-long 51-yard field goal in three different games this season, including wins over Iowa State, Illinois, and Nebraska. For the season he has made 22-of-25 attempts with just one miss from less than 50 yards.

For the season, Shudak leads the Hawkeyes in scoring with 100 points, adding 34-of-34 PAT attempts to go with his 22 made field goals. Shudak’s 100 points rank as the eighth-highest single season total in school history. He also handles kickoff duties, recording 39 touchbacks.

Off the field, Shudak has earned Academic All-Big Ten honors the last four years. He has earned Dean’s List recognition during seven semesters and President’s List honors.

Iowa (10-2, 7-2) claimed the Big Ten’s West Division championship. The Hawkeyes will meet Michigan in the Big Ten championship game Saturday, Dec. 4, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis (7:17 p.m. CT, FOX).

Reactions: nu2u and HemiHawk
Arguably should have happened for two weeks in a row ...

Regardless ... congrats Caleb! Excellent work ... proud you're a Hawkeye!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't his one miss from under 50 yards in tough weather conditions (wind?)?

Does Iowa have the best special teams in the country? Between Taylor, Shudak and Jones, I find it hard to believe another school having better all around ST's.

Reactions: squeezebox
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't his one miss from under 50 yards in tough weather conditions (wind?)?

Does Iowa have the best special teams in the country? Between Taylor, Shudak and Jones, I find it hard to believe another school having better all around ST's.
Colorado State might have a say in this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT