ADVERTISEMENT

SI article on Frost

JupiterHawk

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Jupiter, FL
Interesting perspective on Wisconsin

Frost’s best argument sits almost 500 miles northeast of Lincoln, where defending Big Ten West champion Wisconsin has five top-10 finishes in the past 12 years and enters the fall as a legitimate playoff contender. The Badgers’ rise—led by Tom Osborne disciple Barry Alvarez, first as head coach and now as athletic director—has mirrored the Huskers’ decline. Before Alvarez arrived in Madison in 1990, it had been 27 years since Wisconsin’s last top-10 finish. The Badgers built themselves into relevance without a single recruiting class ranked better than No. 30 in the past 17 years, according to 247Sports.

“Barry Alvarez came from here and saw what worked, and he used Nebraska’s blueprint more than Nebraska has,” Frost says. “We should be able to out-recruit Wisconsin. We’re not anywhere near huge talent bases, but we’re closer to it than they are. People say Lincoln’s cold. Wisconsin is cold. Michigan is cold. Minnesota is cold. We should be the highest-rated recruiting class at least in our half [of the Big Ten] every year with the facilities we have to offer and with the tradition we have here. We don’t need the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. We just need a top-25 class every year, and we can develop it.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/04/17/scott-frost-nebraska-huskers-turnaround-ucf-oregon

Reactions: BIGSTICK67
Frost can walk on water and Harbaugh can too (although he was wading some last year). How can the big Ten survive such miracles?

BTW, no mention that Barry spent some time with Hayden by SI?
Thats the first thing I thought too. Total slight of Barry's time in Iowa City with Hayden. He names 3 schools, doesn't name us. Its not a big deal but..... a little gamesmanship ya think?

I for one think BF is gonna give Jesus Frost and his great tradition of a program in Lincoln, a run for his money in the next decade. God I hate Nebraska.

Interesting perspective on Wisconsin

Frost’s best argument sits almost 500 miles northeast of Lincoln, where defending Big Ten West champion Wisconsin has five top-10 finishes in the past 12 years and enters the fall as a legitimate playoff contender. The Badgers’ rise—led by Tom Osborne disciple Barry Alvarez, first as head coach and now as athletic director—has mirrored the Huskers’ decline. Before Alvarez arrived in Madison in 1990, it had been 27 years since Wisconsin’s last top-10 finish. The Badgers built themselves into relevance without a single recruiting class ranked better than No. 30 in the past 17 years, according to 247Sports.

“Barry Alvarez came from here and saw what worked, and he used Nebraska’s blueprint more than Nebraska has,” Frost says. “We should be able to out-recruit Wisconsin. We’re not anywhere near huge talent bases, but we’re closer to it than they are. People say Lincoln’s cold. Wisconsin is cold. Michigan is cold. Minnesota is cold. We should be the highest-rated recruiting class at least in our half [of the Big Ten] every year with the facilities we have to offer and with the tradition we have here. We don’t need the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. We just need a top-25 class every year, and we can develop it.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/04/17/scott-frost-nebraska-huskers-turnaround-ucf-oregon

Are you really an Iowa fan? If so, why are you feeding the trolls?

Reactions: hawkandroll
Frost says. “We should be able to out-recruit Wisconsin. We’re not anywhere near huge talent bases, but we’re closer to it than they are. People say Lincoln’s cold. Wisconsin is cold. Michigan is cold. ”

I'm pretty sure MI has a couple better in state players than braska does each year ;).
Also pretty sure they already "out recruit" wiscy, lot of good that has done......

I'm pretty sure MI has a couple better in state players than braska does each year ;).
Also pretty sure they already "out recruit" wiscy, lot of good that has done......

You would be correct. According to Rivals, in 2017 Nebraska had the highest ranking in the B1G West at #20 and in 2016 at #24. I didn't go back any further, but both those two classes meet Frost's standards. He may improve things at Nebraska, but it doesn't sound like he aspires to improve recruiting.

Barry Alvarez spent 2 or 3 years playing LB at Nebraska, I can't tell for sure how many. During those years, Tom Osbourne was an offensive assistant coach. I'm not sure how that makes him a "Tom Osbourne disciple".

It would be like Josey Jewell being listed as a "Brian Ferentz disciple".

Alvarez spent 8 years as an assistant under Fry.

His only other college assistant stint was 3 years at ND.

If he is anyone's "disciple", it would be Fry, or maybe more appropriately Bill Brashier.

Barry Alvarez spent 2 or 3 years playing LB at Nebraska, I can't tell for sure how many. During those years, Tom Osbourne was an offensive assistant coach. I'm not sure how that makes him a "Tom Osbourne disciple".

If he is anyone's "disciple", it would be Fry.

Nebraska fans and media have loved to live vicariously through Alvarez and he is a "Nebraska guy". They get a hard on over it.

If he is anyone's "disciple", it would be Fry, or maybe more appropriately Bill Brashier.
That is a really good and accurate take on Alverez at Nebraska. He was not an Osborne disciple. That is really poor journalism on the part of SI. The writer was either lazy or dishonest.

I love it when there's a fresh dusting of hope in Lincoln. And I love that their biggest problem has been defense, and their solution is a coach who's an absolute joke when it comes to defense. We might put 80 up on them this coming season.
Agreed. I said the day Nebbie hired Frost that I was glad he was hired and not Bielema. Since Nebraska joined the BIG, offense hasn't been the problem, the defense has, and those black shirts have been a complete joke when they line up against power teams like Wisconsin and Iowa. I really don't see how that improves when they will be scrimmaging the Frost offense in practice everyday and the other spread teams they will face every other week. Again, Wisconsin and Iowa are really the only power teams they will face, and those are the two they need to get past to get to Indy.

Reactions: philosophusker
Carefull, Frost is a very good coach. I’m a little concerned with what he might build.
Young, winner, and excited.

True...but they said the same thing about DickRod at Michigan also.

When it comes to Big 10 football, I tend to fall back on "they're just gonna have to prove it to me".

Never seen a bad defensive team win the Big 10. Ever. Never seen these newfangled wacky offenses/schools have a great defense, either.

His team building philosophy will receive a severe test. My hunch is "recruiting on Wisconsin's level" alone ain't gonna cut the mustard.

Frost can walk on water and Harbaugh can too (although he was wading some last year). How can the big Ten survive such miracles?

BTW, no mention that Barry spent some time with Hayden by SI?

Frost not mentioning Iowa, whether it relates to Alvarez/Hayden, talent, results, quality of life, state appeal and/or aspirations, is completely calculated. The journalist was certainly steered with the narrative that was presented, heck it almost reads like a paid advertisement for Nebraska and Frost. They look down on Iowa and that is fine, even acknowledging the school to the East with which they have to pass, would be a sign of weakness. I also don't doubt Frost and Nebraska make it clear to the author/reporter not mention the D Coordinator got his start at Iowa as it relates to coaching. Believe he was a grad assistant under Ferentz.

time for a frank druben gif...nothing to see here, nothing to be upset about.

“Barry Alvarez came from here and saw what worked, and he used Nebraska’s blueprint more than Nebraska has,” Frost says. “We should be able to out-recruit Wisconsin. We’re not anywhere near huge talent bases, but we’re closer to it than they are."

I didn't expect Frost to be a Mensa candidate, but it almost seems too good to be true for him to be this big of a dipshit. First of all, Madison is closer to Chicago than Lincoln is to Kansas City, it's closer to Minneapolis than Lincoln, and it's about as close to Detroit as Lincoln is to St. Louis. On top of that, Wisconsin is a much higher population state than Nebraska and has a better pool of prospective walk-ons to draw from. Offering geography as a reason Nebraska should out-recruit Wisconsin is stunning in its stupidity. Second of all, Alvarez doesn't use Nebraska's "blueprint" at all. Nebraska didn't invent good defense, for one, and Nebraska's real "blueprint" was a set of advantages that just doesn't exist anymore.

Seriously, if the idiocy Frost displays in this article manifests in his coaching, too, Nebraska is screwed again.

Great read!!!! All true, maybe you should write for SI?

Madison is closer to talent areas IMO.

We have a WINNER! WINNER, WINNER, Chicken Dinner! Didn't Barry take Bernie Wyatt with him to Wisconsin and establish a very good New Jersey pipeline (Ron Dayne) that served him well as Barry improved the Wisconsin brandname. Wisconsin is closer to Detroit and Chicago and Ohio (recruiting hot beds of the traditional Big Ten Powers). Frost is going to try to land California kids and second tier Texas kids--- Nebraska is living in its past.

I wish I could dub in Tom's voice "Looks like the University of Iowa"

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2017...w-york-new-jersey-pipeline.aspx?path=football

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...e-of-the-tree-hayden-frys-1983-coaching-staff

Yes, hilarious frost and SI are pushing the narrative that Barry A came from the rich coaching tree of Tom Osborn's. As said, Barry played linebacker while Osborn was an offensive assistant, but then spent 8 years as Hayden Fry's assistant, starting when he arrived and rebuilt Iowa into a power from scratch after 2 decades in the desert.

Sure Barry rebuilt Wisconsin from what he learned in Lincoln, and not what he learned from Fry in IC. Sure he did. Just like Frost learned everything he knows about coaching and turning CMF into champions from playing under Osborn. That Kelly guy in Oregon had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Madison is closer to talent areas IMO.

Yeah this struck me as funny. 6m+ populated state that is close to MPLS, Chicago, contains Milwaukee, near states of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois.

Vs.

1.7m state kind of close to KC? Denver?
Feldman probably spent too much time talking to that Billy Devaney character for his information.

Nebraska fans and media have loved to live vicariously through Alvarez and he is a "Nebraska guy". They get a hard on over it.

They also love to act like they are similar to Wisconsin and that Wisconsin and Nebraska have all of the sudden developed the best rivalry in the west. Hint: Wisconsin does not care about you and you're just another team in the west to them. I guarantee you they covet beating Iowa more.

Last edited:
Most of Neb fans lay claim to Nile Kinnick, too. Iowa boy, born and raised. Spent a cpl years in Omaha when his dad moved for work. Came home , won a Heisman at Iowa. Sure he spent a cpl days in Omaha, but he's an Iowan. Hear it a lot here in western Iowa.

Nebraska has had top 25 recruiting classes 3 of the last 5 years, and 7 of the last 9...

yeah, he is acting like they haven't been getting recruits. Also acting like they are going to play power football when that is not at all what they are going to do on offense which is weird.

Reactions: philosophusker
I didn't expect Frost to be a Mensa candidate, but it almost seems too good to be true for him to be this big of a dipshit. First of all, Madison is closer to Chicago than Lincoln is to Kansas City, it's closer to Minneapolis than Lincoln, and it's about as close to Detroit as Lincoln is to St. Louis. On top of that, Wisconsin is a much higher population state than Nebraska and has a better pool of prospective walk-ons to draw from. Offering geography as a reason Nebraska should out-recruit Wisconsin is stunning in its stupidity. Second of all, Alvarez doesn't use Nebraska's "blueprint" at all. Nebraska didn't invent good defense, for one, and Nebraska's real "blueprint" was a set of advantages that just doesn't exist anymore.

Seriously, if the idiocy Frost displays in this article manifests in his coaching, too, Nebraska is screwed again.

LOL....you Hawk fans just keep underestimating Frost. Oh well in time you will be awakened and it will be fun to watch.

Frost not mentioning Iowa, whether it relates to Alvarez/Hayden, talent, results, quality of life, state appeal and/or aspirations, is completely calculated. The journalist was certainly steered with the narrative that was presented, heck it almost reads like a paid advertisement for Nebraska and Frost. They look down on Iowa and that is fine, even acknowledging the school to the East with which they have to pass, would be a sign of weakness. I also don't doubt Frost and Nebraska make it clear to the author/reporter not mention the D Coordinator got his start at Iowa as it relates to coaching. Believe he was a grad assistant under Ferentz.

time for a frank druben gif...nothing to see here, nothing to be upset about.
It's interesting how much of Iowa's fingerprints are all over the current Husker program ... and yet that receives no mention ....

- Chinander (DC): Literally a protégé of Ferentz ... former Iowa O-lineman. When at Oregon, he was mentored by Ron Aiken ... a long-time Iowa assistant on the DL.
- Mossbrucker (director of football and recruiting administration): Former Iowa place-kicker.
- Verducci (offensive analyst): Former Iowa assistant coach under Fry. Also, assisted under Ferentz at Iowa while Fry was the head coach ... then took over as the OL coach after Ferentz left.

When Frost says he is closer to recruiting, I think he means Texas. Which is a narrow viewpoint.

Definetly thought that comment was a joke, since if I remember correctly Fry hired Barry right out of a HC job at a high school. Of course no mention of Iowa, but he threw in Minnesota. Who Knew? One things for sure, this rivalry with the bugeaters is going to heat up the next several years. Should be fun.......;)

Please tell us Hawk fans what your expectations for Frost is. Don't just come here and mouth off. Tell us.
UCF was 0-12 before Frost, and 2 years later they claimed a National Title. Remember, UCF had no history, no facilities, no fans, and no administrative support. So now here's Frost at Nebraska ,with all it's fans, history, facilities, and university and state support. Every advantage possible, right?

So how long will it take him to go undefeated and win his second Natty, Huskers? 1 year or 2? I guess we'll find out whether CFU or UNL is the better program in just a couple years!

Reactions: Hot.Carl
LOL....you Hawk fans just keep underestimating Frost. Oh well in time you will be awakened and it will be fun to watch.
Just like with Solich right?
No just like Callahan.
Wait no it is Pellini who was going to save the skirts.
Oops no really it was Reilly that would deliver nebby.

Been more than 15 years that skirt fans have been sure the newest savior is the one. Yet another year goes by and their relevance is still stuck in the VHS era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT