ADVERTISEMENT

SI writers don't like our chances

LarryMullenJr.

HR Legend
Dec 7, 2011
Reactions: anon_8rcdnbko1jbe0
Another point worth noticing is that the games that each of them list as the one they are MOST confident is are all NY6 or playoff games.
Thought those were supposed to be set up to be "entertaining and competitive".

It is a little weird to me. I would think anybody who has watched a few Iowa games would agree, this is a team that has underachieved.

I have hard time imagining they will overmatched by all but a few teams in the country.

Reactions: LUC8 and yrunvs
Watching ESPN last night they did a mock draft...3 Mississippi players 1St round...yikes!
Had Fant going to Raiders.
Was hoping their 3 would sit out and get ready for draft

Watching ESPN last night they did a mock draft...3 Mississippi players 1St round...yikes!
Had Fant going to Raiders.
Was hoping their 3 would sit out and get ready for draft

Who was the third? I know Sweat and Simmons are supposed to be possible first round picks.

That's the thing. I think if their defense wasn't quite as good, people wouldn't be so sure but their defense is really really good. I don't like the matchup of their defense against Iowa's offense. I think the offense will have to get a little more creative in this game or take a few more risks.
The matchup of MSUs O v. Iowa’s D doesn’t look too rosey for the dogs either.

Reactions: yrunvs
Another point worth noticing is that the games that each of them list as the one they are MOST confident is are all NY6 or playoff games.

Not a surprise. MSU is anywhere from a 5-7 point favorite, and the last time Iowa played in the Outback Bowl it was somewhat similar, a 8-4 Iowa team in 2016 playing against a very good defense and mediocre offense from Florida. Gators D smothered Iowa in a 30-3 game. This Iowa team is far better than the 2016 one even if the records are similar. Iowa is currently 11 in the Sagarin ratings; Hawks finished 41 in the Sagarin in 2016.

If Iowa can stop MSU from just running the ball with the back and QB (I have my doubts on this) then it will be a 4-quarter game where Iowa can work up enough offense to win. If the offense turtles and doesn't move the ball, it means MSU can stay with the run the whole game and get to Iowa's defense eventually.

I can’t believe they didn’t match up Florida with UCF. I think the Gators probably had something to do about that.

Not that it matters much since SI isn't even good for the swimsuit models anymore--seriously, nobody wants to see the really, really "curvy" ones they're shoving down our throats nowadays--but here are their picks and nobody took us. In fact they have big confidence in NOT taking us, as their assigned ratings indicate.

https://www.si.com/college-football...on-picks-expert-predictions-confidence-points
I prefer it when Iowa is the underdog. They seem to have more of a fight when that happens.

Anybody who doesn't think the Hawkeye's have a real good shot at winning this game can go straight to hell.:)

Not a surprise. MSU is anywhere from a 5-7 point favorite, and the last time Iowa played in the Outback Bowl it was somewhat similar, a 8-4 Iowa team in 2016 playing against a very good defense and mediocre offense from Florida. Gators D smothered Iowa in a 30-3 game. This Iowa team is far better than the 2016 one even if the records are similar. Iowa is currently 11 in the Sagarin ratings; Hawks finished 41 in the Sagarin in 2016.

If Iowa can stop MSU from just running the ball with the back and QB (I have my doubts on this) then it will be a 4-quarter game where Iowa can work up enough offense to win. If the offense turtles and doesn't move the ball, it means MSU can stay with the run the whole game and get to Iowa's defense eventually.
Its easy to forget though, that Iowa was driving inside the five yard line to make it a 10 all game I believe when CJ got hurt. He probably should n't have played after that, but we all know what happened in the second half.

Its easy to forget though, that Iowa was driving inside the five yard line to make it a 10 all game I believe when CJ got hurt. He probably should n't have played after that, but we all know what happened in the second half.

Agreed. Once that Iowa team fell behind and CJB was hurt, it was all over. Think this Jan. 1 game will go down to the wire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT