ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: 3-4 BigTen schools know they won't play football this Fall.

But your original argument was that Herald / the U of Iowa wouldn't be complying if there were any dishonesty going on, due to the big money involved.

Now you're saying they have no choice but to comply.

Not even close.
My original point was clear and simple.
Shutting down athletics equates to massively less money for large universities. Contrary to what was posited (universities are just being tyrannical for the sake of being tyrannical and to control others), large universities are desperately trying to figure out a way to get kids on campus and field athletic teams. There is huge financial incentive to "open up" and return to as close to normalcy. Any decision that is made to cancel athletic seasons comes at a massive cost and are not made lightly. Suggesting that they are doing so is horrifically misguided.

Not even close.
My original point was clear and simple.
Shutting down athletics equates to massively less money for large universities. Contrary to what was posited (universities are just being tyrannical for the sake of being tyrannical and to control others), large universities are desperately trying to figure out a way to get kids on campus and field athletic teams. There is huge financial incentive to "open up" and return to as close to normalcy. Any decision that is made to cancel athletic seasons comes at a massive cost and are not made lightly. Suggesting that they are doing so is horrifically misguided.

But see I never said that. I didn't mention universities in my original argument. You're taking your own pre-concieved biases and arguing against them.

You should read and internalize what I actually said.

But see I never said that. I didn't mention universities in my original argument. You're taking your own pre-concieved biases and arguing against them.

P.S.: My original post was under the name igtbahawki. You're the one who insists on the tangent about large universities.

This isn’t about a virus anymore, it’s about tyranny.

The tyrants can’t believe what compliant sheep the masses are. But they’re gonna keep the restrictions in place so long as the masses remain compliant sheep.
This board needs a laughing emoji, like they have on Facebook. This post is a howler.

My daughter will be a freshman at Iowa State (I failed as a father) and they are going on as normal at this point. But are also being told that the reality of closure is being prepared for.

My daughter will be a freshman at Iowa State (I failed as a father) and they are going on as normal at this point. But are also being told that the reality of closure is being prepared for.
How many actual in person classes was she scheduled to have?

How many actual in person classes was she scheduled to have?

All as of now. I suspect that changes Thursday when she has a teleconference with her advisor. ISU has tried to be transparent but honestly it has changed 3-4 times since June 3rd. She’s going into animal science and many require labs which can’t really be done online effectively I would think.

All as of now. I suspect that changes Thursday when she has a teleconference with her advisor. ISU has tried to be transparent but honestly it has changed 3-4 times since June 3rd

I just want a safe environment for her and her classmates. She no longer has a roommate and is single occupancy in her dorm (at a cost of an additional 2k this semester which we didn’t have ability to opt out of). Strange times indeed. Sometimes I feel like they are pushing to start to get a couple months rent out of folks before closing it down.

All as of now. I suspect that changes Thursday when she has a teleconference with her advisor. ISU has tried to be transparent but honestly it has changed 3-4 times since June 3rd
I talked to a freshman going to ISU that said only 2 were in person.

The thread is titled "3-4 Big 10 schools know that they won't play football this Fall."

You posted under a different screen name (WTF with more than one screen name?) that "this isn't about a virus anymore, it's about tyranny."

I commented that your post made zero sense because no large university president is shutting down the massive revenue streams provided by its athletics programs simply to be tyrannical. That. Makes. Zero. Sense. To the contrary, university presidents have been freaking scrambling to try to figure out how to make athletics work. Trying to get students back on campus. Trying to return to normalcy as best as possible.

You then posted "I didn't realize that large universities made all of the decisions for society."

Large universities don't make "all of the decisions for society." Your comment has no basis in fact. Not even close. Presidents of large universities make decisions involving their university. That's the very f--king definition of their job. That's what they are paid to do. And sometimes those decisions are unpopular (i.e. ISU's president shutting down Veisha or Herreld imposing rules about alcohol consumption on campus property) but those decisions lie within the province of the president. If Herreld doesn't feel that it is safe for the students to be on campus and it is unsafe to field a football team, he'll have to make a decision. But if you are thinking that he's sitting in a corner office rubbing his hands together, saying to himself "ha ha ha ha . . . I'm in control here and I have the power to shut down football and I'm going to do it! Just because I can do it!" you're a fool. He realizes the massive cost to not only athletics but to the university community.

The thread is titled "3-4 Big 10 schools know that they won't play football this Fall."

You posted under a different screen name (WTF with more than one screen name?) that "this isn't about a virus anymore, it's about tyranny."

I commented that your post made zero sense because no large university president is shutting down the massive revenue streams provided by its athletics programs simply to be tyrannical. That. Makes. Zero. Sense. To the contrary, university presidents have been freaking scrambling to try to figure out how to make athletics work. Trying to get students back on campus. Trying to return to normalcy as best as possible.

You then posted "I didn't realize that large universities made all of the decisions for society."

Large universities don't make "all of the decisions for society." Your comment has no basis in fact. Not even close. Presidents of large universities make decisions involving their university. That's the very f--king definition of their job. That's what they are paid to do. And sometimes those decisions are unpopular (i.e. ISU's president shutting down Veisha or Herreld imposing rules about alcohol consumption on campus property) but those decisions lie within the province of the president. If Herreld doesn't feel that it is safe for the students to be on campus and it is unsafe to field a football team, he'll have to make a decision. But if you are thinking that he's sitting in a corner office rubbing his hands together, saying to himself "ha ha ha ha . . . I'm in control here and I have the power to shut down football and I'm going to do it! Just because I can do it!" you're a fool. He realizes the massive cost to not only athletics but to the university community.

I didn't read all that.

I'm sorry that more than one screen name is so offensive to you.

Threads sometimes go in a different direction than the title of the thread.

Have a good day.

This isn’t about a virus anymore, it’s about tyranny.

The tyrants can’t believe what compliant sheep the masses are. But they’re gonna keep the restrictions in place so long as the masses remain compliant sheep.

I'm surprised an LGBTQ Hawki holds this opinion.

So, if we go with a Regional schedule, I foresee MSU not coming to Kinnick and we wouldn’t go to OSU & PSU. Purdue and MN might be borderline but I don’t know how far they are by bus. I am guessing that it is 5 hours to MN from Iowa City. That sounds as far as most teams might be willing to go.

If we need 3 opponents for 10/3, 10/10, and 10/24. 10/31 is a bye week possibility.

I am thinking: South Dakota or South Dakota State, Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, Illinois St and Notre Dame. Any other possibilities?

Maybe we could play one or more of those Big 12 teams in KC at Arrowhead? I would imagine that most of Notre Dame’s current schedule is a bit too far. Wonder who they are supposed to be playing in October?

A vaccine isn’t likely to happen any time remotely soon. I’d rather they focus on effective treatment.

Why do they want us thinking that this virus will be going on for and indeterminate, indefinite period of time?

Why aren't we asking more questions?

So, if we go with a Regional schedule, I foresee MSU not coming to Kinnick and we wouldn’t go to OSU & PSU. Purdue and MN might be borderline but I don’t know how far they are by bus. I am guessing that it is 5 hours to MN from Iowa City. That sounds as far as most teams might be willing to go.

If we need 3 opponents for 10/3, 10/10, and 10/24. 10/31 is a bye week possibility.

I am thinking: South Dakota or South Dakota State, Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, Illinois St and Notre Dame. Any other possibilities?

Maybe we could play one or more of those Big 12 teams in KC at Arrowhead? I would imagine that most of Notre Dame’s current schedule is a bit too far. Wonder who they are supposed to be playing in October?

Just do home and away with all west teams and the clowns. 12 games....let's go :).

Hell Id take 6 at this point!

Reactions: HumbleP1e
Why do they want us thinking that this virus will be going on for and indeterminate, indefinite period of time?

Why aren't we asking more questions?
Pretty sure there is a defined period of time and once that is passed, we will be told to deal with this in the same manner as we should be dealing with other potential airborne diseases. Any time you go among people there is a risk of acquiring something. It's called life. As far as asking questions, it seems to be the people whose life is not adversely being affected like to shut them down. Is there still a risk of acquiring the virus, of course there is. Just don't tell me there hasn't been, or are today, strains of the flu that are far more deadly than COVID. For which we have no vaccine for, by the way.

Reactions: Stranded Hawk
I would think UNI, Drake, USD, Northern Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, ISU, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, ND, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Missouri State, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Ball State, are all 6 hrs or less to get to. So there are options.

Reactions: HumbleP1e
I didn't read all that.

I'm sorry that more than one screen name is so offensive to you.

Threads sometimes go in a different direction than the title of the thread.

Have a good day.
I am not on either side. I want us all unified as much as possible. But, the new "you win" on this board is claiming a response is too long.

You're both Hawks which means you're both good eggs. Carry on.

Pretty sure there is a defined period of time and once that is passed, we will be told to deal with this in the same manner as we should be dealing with other potential airborne diseases. Any time you go among people there is a risk of acquiring something. It's called life. As far as asking questions, it seems to be the people whose life is not adversely being affected like to shut them down. Is there still a risk of acquiring the virus, of course there is. Just don't tell me there hasn't been, or are today, strains of the flu that are far more deadly than COVID. For which we have no vaccine for, by the way.

I am in no way trying to be argumentative, so correct me if I am wrong. I think what you are saying is generally true. But, the difference is the overrunning of some emergency rooms. I know people with the flu, etc. who never see the doctor at all. Not all are needing the emergency room clearly, but just imagine the first death in a college football season. If no young people are dying, that's another thing. I don't know that. But, Maryland had a staff turnover for a kid dying after working too hard in UNKNOWN circumstances. Imagine going against what is KNOWN. Heads should role, and right or wrong, we live in an I'll sue you for everything you have society. And this is pre-"2nd wave".

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/three-waves.htm

I'm not going to pretend to know what to do. I don't know. But, it is worth recognizing that this flu, which appears to be closer to covid-19 than say SARS or whatever, makes the Fall a real concern.

I hope it's a false alarm. But, as a society, our unwillingness to wear mask has put our nation in a tough position.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
There’s a bunch of NCAA schools in the state that we can play. Heck, we have a history with some of them. How does University of Iowa, 2020 Iowa Conference champions sound?

All this regional stuff is just wishful thinking. There is no way schedules with teams in multiple conferences get formulated in 60 days. Dates would have to be ironed out. Contracts for payments. Stipulations if a team agrees to play for a certain $ but the other time is unable to play at that time and how much money they would receive for a game that doesn't get played. Nobody is going to want to guarantee a payout for a road team. This just is not going to happen.

If 3-4 schools do not play in 2020, what does that do to the scholarship levels for those schools in 2021 and 2022? Looks like a mess to me?

Iowa
vs Northern Iowa
vs Iowa State
vs Drake
vs Wisconsin
vs Western Illinois
vs Illinois State
vs Nebraska
vs South Dakota
vs Minnesota
vs Iowa State

All you have to do is implement a no work, no pay & benefits for all employees with possible job replacement and these universities will be open faster than you can blink an eye. There’s nothing on the line for so many decision makers and they assume they can just take a year off and relax (I mean shelter at home wink-wink).

Reactions: unclesammy
All this regional stuff is just wishful thinking. There is no way schedules with teams in multiple conferences get formulated in 60 days. Dates would have to be ironed out. Contracts for payments. Stipulations if a team agrees to play for a certain $ but the other time is unable to play at that time and how much money they would receive for a game that doesn't get played. Nobody is going to want to guarantee a payout for a road team. This just is not going to happen.

There would be little to no payments. With budget constraints the teams in non con getting paid a million bucks will be the first to go.

Iowa
vs Northern Iowa
vs Iowa State
vs Drake
vs Wisconsin
vs Western Illinois
vs Illinois State
vs Nebraska
vs South Dakota
vs Minnesota
vs Iowa State

So teams like the directionals won't play conference games. They will just be travelling cannon fodder playing on the road against P5 teams all season?

ADVERTISEMENT