ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: IHSAA should apologize

Herkmeister

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
Does anyone know the story behind the IHSAA's decision regarding NBCChicago and their internet coverage of state championships.

I had forgotten we were unable to watch the State Basketball Tournament last year and now we are missing the football games.
  • Did somebody in Boone get sold a bill of goods?
  • Is Al Beste some big city narcissist who doesn't care about those of us in small towns?
  • Is this all about the money and not the kids and fans?
Help me out here. I'm angry that the people who run our state athletic association would be so careless. As an Iowan, I'm extremely disappointed. I hope there were/are consequences for those who made this error.

Thank you for letting me rant. :( Hopefully my assumptions are incorrect.

Reactions: amahawk and Tunadog
I'm with you.... if you want, you can sign up for Sling free of charge for one week. We have the Wlmburg/Waukon game on the main office TV now.

Reactions: Herkmeister
What has happened?

You can only get games on line. If your cable provider does not have NBCChicago, you're basically screwed unless you have Dish or Direct TV.

Or, you can be a thief and use a trial period on Sling TV. But this requires signing up, giving your cc #, then cancelling. I just ain't built that way. To me that's stealing.

I'm just pissed the IHSAA would set up something like this. I'm sure they had their reasons and I'm just spouting without the facts.

So Soy, in about 3 posts my dumb ass reputation will be sustained. o_O

I'm with you.... if you want, you can sign up for Sling free of charge for one week. We have the Wlmburg/Waukon game on the main office TV now.

What's your cell number? Do you have an iPhone? Can we just face time? :(

Reactions: SHAWKER
Does anyone know the story behind the IHSAA's decision regarding NBCChicago and their internet coverage of state championships.

I had forgotten we were unable to watch the State Basketball Tournament last year and now we are missing the football games.
  • Did somebody in Boone get sold a bill of goods?
  • Is Al Beste some big city narcissist who doesn't care about those of us in small towns?
  • Is this all about the money and not the kids and fans?
Help me out here. I'm angry that the people who run our state athletic association would be so careless. As an Iowan, I'm extremely disappointed. I hope there were/are consequences for those who made this error.

Thank you for letting me rant. :( Hopefully my assumptions are incorrect.

I've written them complaining about this, won't do any good I'm sure but it was fun. At the IHSSN site with the streaming service there's a lame excuse page explaining their BS reasoning. Had to be about $$$. They've pimped out Iowa HS football, wrestling, basketball championships and screwed thousands of Iowa residents who subscribe to Mediacom out of watching. Only suggestion I have is seeing if any family or friends have Dish or Direct TV, see if they'd be willing to let you log in with their account info, going to the IHSSN streaming site, clicking on the appropriate provider, and entering their log in info.

I miss the days where all you had to do was turn it to IPTV.

WUT? Game is on cable right meow

If you have Direct TV or Dish with NBC Sports Chicago, yes it's on TV. Or I know it's on Comcast in Chicago area as well. If you have Mediacom cable, no, you can't get the games on TV or stream them.

I live out of state so I love it

Yup this is nice watching the games out of state. Hell my family is watching my cousins game in Wisconsin right now from Iowa (they have dish tv). Its nice for out of state people. Almost all states are on fox sports channels so the rest of the country can see them.

The people who are complaining have to understand that ALL SPORTS BARS carry the fox sports channels, so pony up the $$ and go have a beer or two and watch the games if you do not get them at home.

I think it was a smart decision by the boys in Boone. It gives the state more tv coverage. Pretty much they are sticking it to Mediacom, because medicacom doesn't carry NBC Chicago do they?

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
There was an Article about it in Sioux City Journal last year. I think it was Boyden Hull ?? or somewhere in northwest Iowa (Their team was in the final) that couldn't get the games. The cable provider reached out to NBCChiccago but it would cost them 1 Mil for a year. the cable provider said they couldn't justify that as they'd have to raise rates and asked about getting it for the weekend for 10/15/20 grand. no dice. yeah, it's all about the money.

Yup this is nice watching the games out of state. Hell my family is watching my cousins game in Wisconsin right now from Iowa (they have dish tv). Its nice for out of state people. Almost all states are on fox sports channels so the rest of the country can see them.

The people who are complaining have to understand that ALL SPORTS BARS carry the fox sports channels, so pony up the $$ and go have a beer or two and watch the games if you do not get them at home.

I think it was a smart decision by the boys in Boone. It gives the state more tv coverage. Pretty much they are sticking it to Mediacom, because medicacom doesn't carry NBC Chicago do they?

Please cool the smugness until next week. Thank you. ;)

Reactions: HaydenHawk8
I've written them complaining about this, won't do any good I'm sure but it was fun. At the IHSSN site with the streaming service there's a lame excuse page explaining their BS reasoning. Had to be about $$$. They've pimped out Iowa HS football, wrestling, basketball championships and screwed thousands of Iowa residents who subscribe to Mediacom out of watching. Only suggestion I have is seeing if any family or friends have Dish or Direct TV, see if they'd be willing to let you log in with their account info, going to the IHSSN streaming site, clicking on the appropriate provider, and entering their log in info.

I miss the days where all you had to do was turn it to IPTV.

Those broadcasts were always sketchy and horrible feeds. Also people in Eastern Iowa wouldn't get them as some towns in eastern Iowa do not get IPTV with their satellite providers I do believe.

There are several people who have dish network or direct that you can find to go watch the games if needed. Sports bars should all have them.

There was an Article about it in Sioux City Journal last year. I think it was Boyden Hull ?? or somewhere in northwest Iowa (Their team was in the final) that couldn't get the games. The cable provider reached out to NBCChiccago but it would cost them 1 Mil for a year. the cable provider said they couldn't justify that as they'd have to raise rates and asked about getting it for the weekend for 10/15/20 grand. no dice. yeah, it's all about the money.

Well it sure isn't about Iowans or the kids. :(

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
Those broadcasts were always sketchy and horrible feeds. Also people in Eastern Iowa wouldn't get them as some towns in eastern Iowa do not get IPTV with their satellite providers I do believe.

There are several people who have dish network or direct that you can find to go watch the games if needed. Sports bars should all have them.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, there ain't no sports bars near me right now. :(

I'm in North Liberty and watching Williamsburg get their butts kicked on Mediacom right now, channel 832

I'm in North Liberty and watching Williamsburg get their butts kicked on Mediacom right now, channel 832

Okay so Mediacom does get it, then I do not understand why people are upset? IS it because they do not want to add the "sports" package to their programming?

Reactions: ccwhssrs
Okay so Mediacom does get it, then I do not understand why people are upset? IS it because they do not want to add the "sports" package to their programming?

That could be it. Forgot about that package. I do remember adding it a couple years back for ESPNU or whatever that a couple of Iowa games ended up on.

Reactions: HaydenHawk8

832 is showing hockey for me. And I do have the sports pak. Regardless of channel, if Mediacom got NBC Sports Chicago I'd be able to stream it, and I can't.

That could be it. Forgot about that package. I do remember adding it a couple years back for ESPNU or whatever that a couple of Iowa games ended up on.

No, I have Mediacom's sports package and still don't get NBC Sports Chicago.

No, I have Mediacom's sports package and still don't get NBC Sports Chicago.

Are we in the same viewing area? Of course no games are streaming right now but I could login to the nbcsports app with my mediacom credentials and can stream everything including nbc sports Chicago.

Mediacom channel 44 at 7:00 should be the proper feed. Comcast Sports Net Chicago. Channel 44 in Iowa City.

I've spoken with Mediacom. Areas of service matter. I'm in Des Moines and since I get Fox Sports Midwest I can't get NBC Sports Chicago/Comcast. People who get NBC Sports Chicago/Comcast can't get Fox Sports Midwest. Pretty much a bunch of soulless suits screwing people over.

You can only get games on line. If your cable provider does not have NBCChicago, you're basically screwed unless you have Dish or Direct TV.

Or, you can be a thief and use a trial period on Sling TV. But this requires signing up, giving your cc #, then cancelling. I just ain't built that way. To me that's stealing.

I'm just pissed the IHSAA would set up something like this. I'm sure they had their reasons and I'm just spouting without the facts.

So Soy, in about 3 posts my dumb ass reputation will be sustained. o_O
How is using a trial that a company voluntarily offers being a thief? It isn't.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Nobody outside of Iowa (save a very few) cares about Iowa high school sports. Hell, most in Iowa don't.

I've spoken with Mediacom. Areas of service matter. I'm in Des Moines and since I get Fox Sports Midwest I can't get NBC Sports Chicago/Comcast. People who get NBC Sports Chicago/Comcast can't get Fox Sports Midwest. Pretty much a bunch of soulless suits screwing people over.
Suits in Boone. Has nothing to do with mediacom, like them or not.

How is using a trial that a company voluntarily offers being a thief? It isn't.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Nobody outside of Iowa (save a very few) cares about Iowa high school sports. Hell, most in Iowa don't.

Suits in Boone. Has nothing to do with mediacom, like them or not.

To me, taking advantage of an offer with no chance of purchasing is wrong. Perhaps theft is a bit strong, but I don’t find it appropriate.

Would appreciate some help. I have DirectTV in Iowa City, but can''t find the game anywhere. Any help? Thanks in advance.

It’s on my old Comcast sports Chicago direct tv channel 665, now NBC sports Chicago in Davenport

To me, taking advantage of an offer with no chance of purchasing is wrong. Perhaps theft is a bit strong, but I don’t find it appropriate.
Why is it not appropriate? Xm is currently running free. Business do this to to entice the customer to join or rejoin. They know not everyone will sign up.

Why is it not appropriate? Xm is currently running free. Business do this to to entice the customer to join or rejoin. They know not everyone will sign up.
True and to add to that...word of mouth is the best salesperson. If you have a good experience but don't keep it...you may get them future customers that ask about how it worked for you.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I think both parties recognize that people are pissed and that this deal will cease immediately at the end of the contract.

Until then they will not change it, though. Sad because I've basically stopped caring about watching the state tournament games unless my former high school is participating..........and they definitely aren't.

ADVERTISEMENT