ADVERTISEMENT

siap - KGYM adds 102.3 FM in Cedar Rapids

bagdropper

HR Legend
Oct 17, 2002
Not sure if pepsi moment here, but apparently they've added a 3rd FM frequency to their list - it's on the air right now. Trying to find an online story about this but can't find one so far.

I'm trying to figure out how they got this done. I know Eagle 102.3 in Dubuque doesn't reach this far but it can get down to roughly Anamosa.

I'm assuming that this new station must not be anything close to high power unless 102.3 in Dubuque closed down (which I believe they have a time or two in the past). According to wikipedia, the frequency also has a station in Cresco and Onawa.

Welp, on Brommelkamp's show, he stated "don't be deleting your 107.5 radio preset just yet". And that there will be more news coming "soon" about what this all means.

I'm curious if something is in the wind with Townsquare Media in the Dubuque market (who owns 102.3 and 107.5 there) with a station swap with Z102.9 (owners of KGYM and the same frequencies here).

The only Dubuque sports talk radio I know of is 1590 AM out of I believe Platteville WI, which has a radius of maybe tops 30 miles during the daytime only and has practically no local programming at all. It is an ESPN affiliate, plus I believe Milwaukee Brewers and Wisconsin Badgers affiliate too.

Local AM radio in the Dubuque area is a very tough get as far as reception is concerned. I've always thought they needed a sports talk FM station in the market badly.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
KGYM has pretty damn good local programming for a metro area the size of IC-CR. Dubuque should get in on the mix. They already cover Hawkeye sports, UNI, MVC, and USHL. Seems a natural expansion.

KGYM has pretty damn good local programming for a metro area the size of IC-CR. Dubuque should get in on the mix. They already cover Hawkeye sports, UNI, MVC, and USHL. Seems a natural expansion.
KGYM does quite a good job between the ESPN programs, local sports folks in the afternoon, and coverage of high school to pro sports.

It appears the aforementioned changes have occurred.

107.5 is now "GYM:OT", and right now they're running Dave & Mahoney out of Las Vegas. 102.3 appears to have become the ESPN/Local FM station 107.5 was (mainly ESPN and local programming) and 106.3 in IC and 1600 AM in CR appear unchanged at the moment.

There's no schedule that I can see on their web site yet for what else will be running on 107.5. I'm sure the 3PM and 4PM local shows will provide more details.

It appears the aforementioned changes have occurred.

107.5 is now "GYM:OT", and right now they're running Dave & Mahoney out of Las Vegas. 102.3 appears to have become the ESPN/Local FM station 107.5 was (mainly ESPN and local programming) and 106.3 in IC and 1600 AM in CR appear unchanged at the moment.

There's no schedule that I can see on their web site yet for what else will be running on 107.5. I'm sure the 3PM and 4PM local shows will provide more details.
Thanks for the update. I like to listen to the 3-4 pm slot when I can.

Reactions: bagdropper
Thanks for the update. I like to listen to the 3-4 pm slot when I can.

Yepper.

I get up at 430am M-F and my morning routine before work is to pull up 107.5 on the tuner for roughly an hour while cruising the internet and getting ready for work. Then sporadically during the day I hit up KGYN and KXIC out of IC.

It was the overnight ESPN show, then Golic & Wingo as usual - but I can't listen from roughly 6 to 9. I didn't get back to the station until just after 9 and Dave & Mahoney were on. That's evidently a syndicated program, so who knows really. Pushing The Odds with Matt Perrault is on now on 107.5 - it also is a Las Vegas originating show.

I'm curious if KGYM is jumping on the sports gambling bandwagon given we now have it in Iowa - hence these Las Vegas sports radio shows. They had a news bump earlier that mentioned something like there's been a quarter billion $ bet on sports so far since it started - and they've always had a wise guy or two from Vegas chiming in on sports betting.

Just heard an ad bump - they're definitely aligned with SB Nation Radio for 107.5 now.

I'm curious if KGYM is jumping on the sports gambling bandwagon given we now have it in Iowa - hence these Las Vegas sports radio shows. They had a news bump earlier that mentioned something like there's been a quarter billion $ bet on sports so far since it started - and they've always had a wise guy or two from Vegas chiming in on sports betting.

Just heard an ad bump - they're definitely aligned with SB Nation Radio for 107.5 now.
I know they've had this one guy on there from Vegas with the Jersey accent that makes him sound like an extra in "Goodfellas."

I know they've had this one guy on there from Vegas with the Jersey accent that makes him sound like an extra in "Goodfellas."

Yep, can't remember his name but I know who you're talking about. Sounds a bit like Joe Pesci ;)

Edit - Smokin' Dave Cokin is his name.

Reactions: mstp1992
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT