ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: More Expansion? Warren and B10 looking at Oregon, Stanford, Cal and Washington

Oregon yes. I'd rather have Arizona State and Colorado then the other three tho. jmo

I'd go for 24 and go after:

1. Notre Dame (Obvious reasons)
2. Oregon (Prestige and Nike money)
3. Washington (Prestige and Seattle Market)
4. Stanford (Academics and Northern Cal market)
5. North Carolina (Jordan money and East coast/ Charlotte & Raleigh markets)
6. Baylor (Texas Market and Recruiting map)
7. Georgia Tech (Atlanta Market)
8. Florida State or Miami (FL)- (Recruiting Map and Florida Market)

Reactions: BigOHawk
I'd go for 24 and go after:

1. Notre Dame (Obvious reasons)
2. Oregon (Prestige and Nike money)
3. Washington (Prestige and Seattle Market)
4. Stanford (Academics and Northern Cal market)
5. North Carolina (Jordan money and East coast/ Charlotte & Raleigh markets)
6. Baylor (Texas Market and Recruiting map) Duke or Virginia make more sense, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying to lure TAMU from the SEC, which considering their hatred of Texas might not be as crazy as you think
7. Georgia Tech (Atlanta Market)
8. Florida State or Miami (FL)- (Recruiting Map and Florida Market)

FIFY 👍

Adding any further schools won't come until the ND shoe drops.

Also, should any of those schools mentioned by Dodd get invites to join, they will most definitely get the 6-10 yr "ramp up" clause to full $hare distribution, and possibly even an indefinite lower share of the media $$$ distribution. They simply don't bring enough to the table to get the same deal USC/UCLA are getting.

Compared to the projected B1G payouts, adding Colorado and ASU would reduce the payouts.

So, yes, negative value.
Ok... so wouldn't that be the case than if any other teams are added? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand.

Phoenix locks in the SW, Oregon gets the NW, Colorado gives you the mountain time zone. I'd be okay with Washington but I don't understand the need/want for Cal or Standford. I'm probably simplifying the shit out of it but thats how I look at it

Disclaimer - Selfiishly part of me wants this beacuse I love visiting Phoenix and Denver every year. Lots of Hawk fans too :)

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Ok... so wouldn't that be the case than if any other teams are added? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand.

Phoenix locks in the SW, Oregon gets the NW, Colorado gives you the mountain time zone. I'd be okay with Washington but I don't understand the need/want for Cal or Standford. I'm probably simplifying the shit out of it but thats how I look at it

Disclaimer - Selfiishly part of me wants this beacuse I love visiting Phoenix and Denver every year. Lots of Hawk fans too :)

I'm more curious as to why you changed out your avatar from Bobby Hill? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk and Bro D
Keep an eye on BC. It may be a package deal.

I don't think ND has much leverage on that one.

If USC and Stanford are both added, then factor in Michigan, MSU, Purdue are already members, they have a good chunk of their traditional rivals accounted for. Navy is the primary rival they would need to account for with their out-of-conference scheduling. BC is unfortunately the odd man out. They just don't bring any value to the B1G, and they're not an AAU member. While the B1G would be willing to look the other way for ND, they won't do it for anyone else.

Reactions: kceasthawk
FSU and Miami, long-time renegade programs, do not belong in the BIG. I have a general understanding of geography and recruiting areas and TV markets, but those schools would be cultural misfits, much like Nebraska. Thinking of adding those Florida schools makes me ill.

Colorado, ASU, Georgia Tech, North Carolina--any of those would be far better fits, IMHO.

If you read the article, it’s pretty clear that these schools don’t add value but those schools are evidently willing to take a pretty big discount in revenue, partly to get long-term security and partly because there is such a big gap between the BigTen getting ~$100m and staying in the Pac12 making around ~$30m so they could take a haircut and still come out far ahead.

I really hope this doesn’t happen for a lot of reasons but partly just because I don’t like opening the door to unequal revenue sharing. I understand previous expansion schools didn’t immediately get a full share but if I read the article correctly this would be those schools agreeing to a semi-permanent lower share.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I absolutely do not want Miami in the Big Ten. I have heard their name come up a few times. I also don't want any schools not in the AAU. I truly wish we could kick out a few schools that we added in what seems like a hasty decision.

If you read the article, it’s pretty clear that these schools don’t add value but those schools are evidently willing to take a pretty big discount in revenue, partly to get long-term security and partly because there is such a big gap between the BigTen getting ~$100m and staying in the Pac12 making around ~$30m so they could take a haircut and still come out far ahead.

I really hope this doesn’t happen for a lot of reasons but partly just because I don’t like opening the door to unequal revenue sharing. I understand previous expansion schools didn’t immediately get a full share but if I read the article correctly this would be those schools agreeing to a semi-permanent lower share.
What kind of has me hesitant is adding these newcomers and how or when politics come into play, one region's leaders versus another. And for anyone that thinks that cant and won't happen, I'd say it will.

I think Warren is trying to get the SEC to be the one to break up the ACC, and then swoop in for Notre Dame and possibly UNC.

Why would BC and ND be a package deal. Neither of those 2 schools signed the Mandatum which means they arent affiliated with the official Catholic Church. Neother of those 2 schools have any affiliation with each other whatsoever.
If ND wants 'em for some reason, ND gets 'em.

I am thinking Warren is throwing out trial balloons on purpose right now. I have to believe he would love to have ND in and talking about 4 other teams MAY make ND consider sooner than later....who knows at this point. The USC/UCLA move changed the landscape for sure. To me it also makes sense for more existing west coast schools part of the new Big 10 for a few reasons. Jay's I have no idea what is going on on the next steps.

Reactions: hawkosx
Yah but they are super pretty and Warren likeshem. People in the know mentioned them by name they were walking down the runway and Warren was ogling them.
Warren was a bad choice of commissioner, a West Coast man from Arizona, will water down the Big Ten if more schools come in. West Coast football has been insignificant for years, the SEC did not lose their identity when they added Texas and Oklahoma, but the Big Ten will if they have more PAC 10 schools.

It is already a headache dealing with California and UCLA , why add more West Coast Teams that dont share the same Geography, values of the B1G? 16 is fine for now , Let the SEC make the next move which will not include adding ND , IF the SEC raids the ACC that will force NDs hand.

It is already a headache dealing with California and UCLA , why add more West Coast Teams that dont share the same Geography, values of the B1G? 16 is fine for now , Let the SEC make the next move which will not include adding ND , IF the SEC raids the ACC that will force NDs hand.
At first I really agreed with your point about adding a lot of schools that maybe have different values (for instance Cal Berkeley seems almost indifferent to big time football). But then I remembered in the pandemic how it seemed the BigTen and Pac12 were very closely aligned from a philosophical standpoint while the Big12 and SEC seemed more closely aligned in terms of culture. Given the decision makers here are the BigTen presidents (and a bunch of LA television execs), I think they are probably more closely aligned in terms of values than you would think.

Reactions: littlez
FSU and Miami, long-time renegade programs, do not belong in the BIG. I have a general understanding of geography and recruiting areas and TV markets, but those schools would be cultural misfits, much like Nebraska. Thinking of adding those Florida schools makes me ill.

Colorado, ASU, Georgia Tech, North Carolina--any of those would be far better fits, IMHO.
Agree. Absolutely NO on Miami and Florida State.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
I do not trust Dodd and his supposed sources.
me either, especially since his "sources" missed the well known fact that he attended his dad's funeral before the 6-4 penn state game when he wrote a hate piece on iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT