ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP - Now O'Reilly Accused of Exaggeration

h-hawk

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
"For example, In his 2001 book, The No Spin Zone: Confrontations with the Powerful and Famous in America,
O'Reilly wrote, "You know that I am not easily shocked. I've reported
on the ground in active war zones from El Salvador to the Falklands."
Trouble
is, no U.S. reporters got to the remote islands where the fighting took
place. Only about 30 British journalists, accredited by the British
government, made it there. Most of the journalists dispatched to cover
the bizarre conflict did so from the safe confines of Buenos Aires,
1,200 miles away.

O'Reilly concedes he never did set foot on the embattled islands.
What he meant by the "active war zones ... (in) the Falklands" was the
tumultuous street demonstrations in Buenos Aires that erupted after the
war.
To which Corn responded in the British newspaper the Guardian,
"O'Reilly more than once said he was in a war zone. But the war was on
an island. It was not in Buenos Aires. It's like saying you were in a
war zone during the Vietnam War because you were in Washington."

Will More Come Out?

Looks like corn is pissed about one of his lib budies going down and trying to get payback for Williams.

Kind of dumb deal

I'm not sure I've ever watched 5 minutes of Bill O'Reilly and from what I've read of his comments, thoughts etc, I couldn't care less if I ever do. However, why would anyone attach the same level of integrity to what he does as opposed to what Brian Williams does? Same goes for Hannity, Limbaugh, Matthews and all of the other mouth breathers commenting on whatever draws their listeners/viewers.

Williams purports to be a journalist, he should be held to a higher standard.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by SSG T:
I'm not sure I've ever watched 5 minutes of Bill O'Reilly and from what I've read of his comments, thoughts etc, I couldn't care less if I ever do. However, why would anyone attach the same level of integrity to what he does as opposed to what Brian Williams does? Same goes for Hannity, Limbaugh, Matthews and all of the other mouth breathers commenting on whatever draws their listeners/viewers.

I would be interested to know if BO thinks he should be held to the same standard. I dont have anything else to add as I really dont have an opinion one way the other.

I would consider myself a moderate democrat who really likes Brian Williams, and couldnt agree more with this statement.

This post was edited on 2/21 1:00 PM by Dorrman

Some of us see nbc as political as fox. This morning I got to watch a report from nbc which included the southern poverty law center as their source. Pretty left wing network.

Looks like O'Reilly pretty much shut down Cornhole's argument last night. He had all the documents to prove his side of the story from 30 YEARS AGO. How will Cornhole respond?

Originally posted by BABiscuit:

Originally posted by SSG T:

I would be interested to know if BO thinks he should be held to the same standard. I dont have anything else to add as I really dont have an opinion one way the other.
It's simple.....track down his cameraman from that time and ask what happened. Track down his handlers at that time, and ask what happened. And see if Bill is telling the truth. Find any British military that would have been around BO at the time and let them tell their stories based on BO's observations to see how close BO is to the truth.

BTW...it wasn't the media that started all of this. It was the military men that Williams was embedded with that got tired of hearing him lie about what happened.

O'Reilly never called for his job, and repeatedly made comments to allow Williams to fix the situation without being removed from the air.

FTR......i can't stand BO and it sounds like I'm defending him.....which I'm not.

Originally posted by h-hawk:
"For example, In his 2001 book, The No Spin Zone: Confrontations with the Powerful and Famous in America,
O'Reilly wrote, "You know that I am not easily shocked. I've reported
on the ground in active war zones from El Salvador to the Falklands."

Trouble
is, no U.S. reporters got to the remote islands where the fighting took
place. Only about 30 British journalists, accredited by the British
government, made it there. Most of the journalists dispatched to cover
the bizarre conflict did so from the safe confines of Buenos Aires,
1,200 miles away.

O'Reilly concedes he never did set foot on the embattled islands.
What he meant by the "active war zones ... (in) the Falklands" was the
tumultuous street demonstrations in Buenos Aires that erupted after the
war.

To which Corn responded in the British newspaper the Guardian,
"O'Reilly more than once said he was in a war zone. But the war was on
an island. It was not in Buenos Aires. It's like saying you were in a
war zone during the Vietnam War because you were in Washington."

This is typical Bill O. Typical stuff for him.

Fox BAU. Brian Williams allegedly lies, NBC investigates, and Williams is suspended. O'Reilly allegedly lies, Fox doesn't investigate, and nothing happens to him.

Bill O'Reilly[/B]'s accounts of what happened one night when they covered a riot in Buenos Aires, but on The Factor tonight, O'Reilly brought on a former NBC News bureau chief who backed up his story.

Don Browne was the NBC News Miami bureau chief at the time, and he oversaw the network's Falklands coverage. And Browne told O'Reilly his account was accurate. As opposed to some of the other accounts, which have to some extent downplayed the danger, Browne said the situation "got progressively more intense" and there were demonstrations in Buenos Aires every day.

Both O'Reilly and Browne recalled a "very intense situation where people got hurt" and how "this was an extremely violent and volatile situation" where reporters were in danger.
O'Reilly also spoke with Mediaite's own Joe Concha, who wrote a column this week questioning the motivations of O'Reilly's attackers. Concha told O'Reilly that Mother Jones is in the business of throwing red meat to progressives, and beyond that, the story isn't making much headway anyway.

O'Reilly

This post was edited on 2/23 9:54 PM by Metuo Accipiter

Originally posted by rocketclone:
Some of us see nbc as political as fox. This morning I got to watch a report from nbc which included the southern poverty law center as their source. Pretty left wing network.
I'm sorry is there something wrong with a legit organization whose main cause is Civil Rights? They often do studies and research so I can understand, depending on the story, why they might be quoted or referenced. What about them makes you think they're not a legitimate source (again depending on the story)?

They fight Hate and Extremism. The offer a counter to bigotry. They're a watchdog for Civil Rights. So what about that is illegitimate? What is it about that you do you not like?

Originally posted by downtown hawk redux:

I'm sorry is there something wrong with a legit organization whose main cause is Civil Rights? They often do studies and research so I can understand, depending on the story, why they might be quoted or referenced. What about them makes you think they're not a legitimate source (again depending on the story)?

They fight Hate and Extremism. The offer a counter to bigotry. They're a watchdog for Civil Rights. So what about that is illegitimate? What is it about that you do you not like?
They put Ben Carson on their extremist list. They are a left wing group.

The Southern Poverty Law Center makes a fantastic amount of money by profiling and denouncing organizations as "hate groups." Many of those they profile (e.g., the KKK, neo-Nazis, etc.) are hateful people, bigots, racists, etc. But the SPLC unjustly tars other organizations (especially conservative Christian ones) with the same dirty brush. They major in sensationalism, not truth.

That statement from a catholic organization that caught them in a lie.

The Southern Poverty Law Center makes a fantastic amount of money by profiling and denouncing organizations as "hate groups." Many of those they profile (e.g., the KKK, neo-Nazis, etc.) are hateful people, bigots, racists, etc. But the SPLC unjustly tars other organizations (especially conservative Christian ones) with the same dirty brush. They major in sensationalism, not truth.

Huh? What lie? If you are going to say something like that then explain it. Ben Carson doesn't belong on an Extremist list. An Idiot list maybe but that's redundant in what goes for much of the GOP these days. I thought they apologized to him for that. I always get a kick out of you guys who rush to quote a right wing group but then point out that this source is illegitimate because it's a left wing group. Please let me know which Christian groups have been unjustly tarred by SPLC. Do those Churches such Christian Identity Church - Aryan Nations espouse white supremacy? Almost off of the "Christian" Churches they oppose on their list to espouse that or some form of bigotry? The bolded part is not a fact. It is an opinion.

Would you be happier if they weren't around or are you OK with those things? See my point? It may not jive with your worldview (that anything with Christian in front of it is OK apparently) but it serves a valuable purpose.

Huh? What lie? If you are going to say something like that then explain it. Ben Carson doesn't belong on an Extremist list. An Idiot list maybe but that's redundant in what goes for much of the GOP these days. I thought they apologized to him for that. I always get a kick out of you guys who rush to quote a right wing group but then point out that this source is illegitimate because it's a left wing group. Please let me know which Christian groups have been unjustly tarred by SPLC. Do those Churches such Christian Identity Church - Aryan Nations espouse white supremacy? Almost off of the "Christian" Churches they oppose on their list to espouse that or some form of bigotry? The bolded part is not a fact. It is an opinion.

Would you be happier if they weren't around or are you OK with those things? See my point? It may not jive with your worldview (that anything with Christian in front of it is OK apparently) but it serves a valuable purpose.
Carson was on put on the list around Feb 8th. Then taken off and he was apologized to.

The SPLC is another of the groups that has betrayed it's proud ancestry and become basically another propaganda arm of the Democratic Party, along with the NAACP and the ACLU.

Yeah, Bill really cleared this lie up..

O'Reilly certainly claimed to have reported on the war from the islands themselves in the past: "I've reported on the ground in active war zones from El Salvador to the Falkland Islands," O'Reilly wrote in his 2001 book, The No Spin Zone: Confrontations With the Powerful and Famous in America[/I], according to CNNMoney, having repeated the notion that he was in "a combat situation" or "in a war zone in Argentina, in the Falklands" over the years.
What we know so far:All the players, including O'Reilly himself, now agree that he covered the aftermath of the war between Britain and Argentina from Buenos Aires, some 1,200 away from the Falkland Islands.

My point,, downtown, that NBC used a left wing organization as their source. So NBC used the same tactic I did only mine was from the right and not the left. The reason they apologized is because they put him on the list, HELLO. No I don't see your point . They are political now, and yes they do tell lies to try and push their political agenda. They serve a valuable purpose for left wing propaganda.

cuban_medium.gif

another "Tale" appears

You are right that the SPLC has become a left organization that puts out incorrect info so the main stream media will have some source to quote.

Nooo, for shame. Bill O'Reilly stretched the facts or lied? Can't be. I mean the network he works for is as centered as anything and never spreads propaganda. Comon folks, give me a break.

His Ratings this week have been higher than usual. Backfiring on Korn.
This post was edited on 2/27 1:28 PM by rocketclone

CNN has been pounding O'Reilly today about his claims to have heard the gunshot that killed a man conspiracy theorists believe might have been involved with Lee Harvey Oswald. By extension this man might have been somehow involved in JFK's assassination. O'Reilly has spun it that he was outside the man's residence and heard the shot. I'm not linking the main CNN clip because it has a lengthy video clip. This one is from Media Matters.
CNN's is more detailed and has audio between O'Reilly and another reporter. Clearly O'Reilly is telling the other reporter that he is upset the man is dead, and he had been coming to interview him. He mentions that he is trying to get a flight to come down to Florida more quickly.
Some of you may believe this is a leftist media conspiracy. I get the impression this will be a drip, drip, drip thing until Fox has to suspend him.
I don't get too worked up about O'Reilly. He's a showman. He portrays himself as a serious journalist, but, I don't see him as one. He'll say whatever it takes to get a ratings spike.

More O'Reilly lies

I was just curious what the oldest thread was... this was it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT