ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP...Utah nurse arrested for obeying the law....

hawkchick30

Team MVP
Sep 1, 2005
I usually don't get involved in law enforcement threads because I believe being a police officer is like any other profession. You have good people in it for the right reason, and bad people in it for the wrong reason. Having said that I can't believe this police officer, and those around him thought this was a good idea. I am impressed with how she handled herself, and that she stood her ground....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/1428a12b-34cd-39c1-a6ef-d301859ede24/ss_‘this-is-crazy,’-sobs-utah.html

How is this guy still on active duty? There are 2 sides to every story but this one seems pretty one sided....

Reactions: Pinehawk
This kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach. For more than one reason. Mainly because it paints all police officers as bullies, which they are not. Secondly, it shows how civil right can be trampled at a whim. Protections of civil rights should be a top 2-3 priority for any government. This police officer acted on orders from his lieutenant. He should be canned as well.

How is this guy still on active duty? There are 2 sides to every story but this one seems pretty one sided....

Just BAU baby, just BAU.

This cop is part of the 30- 40% of our society who are not mentally capable of being a productive members of this country. Every business, job category, organization etc. has them. Unfortunately for the country the LEO community is in a position that those 30% are protected by the entire community almost with out fail.

This kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach. For more than one reason. Mainly because it paints all police officers as bullies, which they are not. Secondly, it shows how civil right can be trampled at a whim. Protections of civil rights should be a top 2-3 priority for any government. This police officer acted on orders from his lieutenant. He should be canned as well.

I never thought this should be legal:

"No Refusal Weekend refers to a short period of time, typically a holiday weekend or the weekend of a special event, such as the Super Bowl, where law enforcement advertises the ability to conduct routine traffic stops, detaining motorists for suspected DWI. During the stop, law enforcement requests a blood or breath sample, and, if the motorist refuses to comply, law enforcement immediately contacts a judge or magistrate who is designated “on call” during the No Refusal time frame. If the law enforcement officer conveys to the judge that (1) there was reasonable suspicion to detain the motorist for a traffic or criminal offense, and, (2) there is probable cause to believe the motorist is driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, then the judge quickly issues a search warrant for the sample. Tex. Transp. Code §§ 724.011(a), 724.012(b), 724. At that point, law enforcement may call for a phlebotomist to take the sample on site, or may transport a motorist to a facility to obtain the sample. If all goes according to plan, “no refusal” speeds up the process by which law enforcement obtain samples used for DWI/DUI arrests. Further, the sample becomes evidence for trial."

https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/no-refusal-dwi-texas/

Reactions: Chuck C
Just BAU baby, just BAU.

This cop is part of the 30- 40% of our society who are not mentally capable of being a productive members of this country. Every business, job category, organization etc. has them. Unfortunately for the country the LEO community is in a position that those 30% are protected by the entire community almost with out fail.
you literally think up to 40% of everyone is mentally ill?

The cop is trained to draw blood, but they don't bother to train him on when he can lawfully draw blood? What a joke. Either he knew the law, but has typically found he can bully his way through it or he or the people he works for are idiots.

The cop is trained to draw blood, but they don't bother to train him on when he can lawfully draw blood? What a joke. Either he knew the law, but has typically found he can bully his way through it or he or the people he works for are idiots.
It sounds like he completely understood the law, he just snapped and chose to ignore it.

Reactions: Raglefant and IACub
I never thought this should be legal:

"No Refusal Weekend refers to a short period of time, typically a holiday weekend or the weekend of a special event, such as the Super Bowl, where law enforcement advertises the ability to conduct routine traffic stops, detaining motorists for suspected DWI. During the stop, law enforcement requests a blood or breath sample, and, if the motorist refuses to comply, law enforcement immediately contacts a judge or magistrate who is designated “on call” during the No Refusal time frame. If the law enforcement officer conveys to the judge that (1) there was reasonable suspicion to detain the motorist for a traffic or criminal offense, and, (2) there is probable cause to believe the motorist is driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, then the judge quickly issues a search warrant for the sample. Tex. Transp. Code §§ 724.011(a), 724.012(b), 724. At that point, law enforcement may call for a phlebotomist to take the sample on site, or may transport a motorist to a facility to obtain the sample. If all goes according to plan, “no refusal” speeds up the process by which law enforcement obtain samples used for DWI/DUI arrests. Further, the sample becomes evidence for trial."

https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/no-refusal-dwi-texas/
This must be a "Texas" thing. I am not familiar with this in Ioway.

If the story is found to be true, I'd be in favor of overthrowing all prior convictions obtained by this officer or department w/o following proper procedure. That may teach them something. The law isn't to be used to make their jobs easier but to protect the rights of citizens.

I think there may be way more to the story but yes, looks like the cop was wrong

Lets say there is. Lets say her supervisor, co-workers, and hospital officials were all lying about what they heard and witnessed. Lets say officer's body camera picking up the events weren't accurate. What else could there be to this story that the officer was remotely correct?

At least, 40% is about the number who believe Jesus is coming back any day now. When you go to Hagee's church, everyone you see is crazy. I figured that's why you went.

There are those that think homosexuality is a mental disease.

I knew it wouldn't be long before you would bring up my sex life. So predictable.

It is relevant in this case. You ridicule people for their beliefs and claim they are mentally ill. You of all people should be sensitive to other's beliefs.

Oh, and BTW, you flaunt your sexuality on this board 24x7.

Last edited:
The problem with this BS is that taxpayers end up footing the bill.
I've stated it here many many times: make the penalties for officer misconduct SEVERE. Make the penalties for "covering for your buddy" SEVERE. Cops will think twice if they question what they see their fellow officers doing and realize they can be just as guilty by being complicit and not stepping in. The OTHER officers with the guy need to be in jail, too. They easily could have stepped in and told their superior or partner to STAND DOWN. Call the main office and tell the chief they have a fellow officer who is 'losing it' and get him on the phone.

Give the guy 20 years in prison, NO PAROLE. Make the penalties for the police chiefs SEVERE - LOSE 50% of your salary, NO BONUSES when you employ officers who engage in misconduct.

The only people who lose here are the taxpayers, who will shell out more $$ either directly, or per the city insurance policies that cover this, for years to come.

Bad officers give departments a bad name - hold them accountable all the way to the top.

If I'm one of the other officers there, I draw my gun on that idiot and tell him to get on the floor. Cuff him and call the police chief.

That's ridiculous.

If he moves for his own weapon, shoot him. He's in the ER where they can fix him up, if he's lucky....

Lets say there is. Lets say her supervisor, co-workers, and hospital officials were all lying about what they heard and witnessed. Lets say officer's body camera picking up the events weren't accurate. What else could there be to this story that the officer was remotely correct?
well, as I posted above, maybe Utah has some sort of "no refusal" deal, like texas?

well, as I posted above, maybe Utah has some sort of "no refusal" deal, like texas?

If you read the article, you'd realize that is NOT the case, and the nurse knew it, because their policy was consistent with the LAW.

Of course, we know "reading is hard for you"...

If you read the article, you'd realize that is NOT the case, and the nurse knew it, because their policy was consistent with the LAW.

Of course, we know "reading is hard for you"...
I don't think the local texas {Austin } police policy is consistent with the law at all. unconstitutional. and illegal.

so maybe they have an illegal " no refusal" deal in Utah? going against the law. I'm saying maybe the police think they are right by a matter of policy.

Police officers in this country are starting to get out of control with their power. If these guys don't understand basic law, then they need to be fired or not hired in the first place.

This is a training, implementation, and enforcement issue for this particular police agency and many others around the country.

I'm saying maybe the police think they are right by a matter of policy.

This cop even admitted he knew it was wrong during the fiasco ...

“So why don’t we just write a search warrant,” the officer wearing the body camera says to Payne.

“They don’t have PC,” Payne responds, using the abbreviation for probable cause, which police must have to get a warrant for search and seizure. He adds that he plans to arrest the nurse if she doesn’t allow him to draw blood. “I’ve never gone this far,” he says.

Stop being obtuse, OiT.

Police officers in this country are starting to get out of control with their power. If these guys don't understand basic law, then they need to be fired or not hired in the first place.

This is a training, implementation, and enforcement issue for this particular police agency and many others around the country.
I think it's not so much a "power" thing as it is an "ignorance" thing

This cop even admitted he knew it was wrong during the fiasco ...

“So why don’t we just write a search warrant,” the officer wearing the body camera says to Payne.

“They don’t have PC,” Payne responds, using the abbreviation for probable cause, which police must have to get a warrant for search and seizure. He adds that he plans to arrest the nurse if she doesn’t allow him to draw blood. “I’ve never gone this far,” he says.

Stop being obtuse, OiT.
see, he thinks he writes the search warrant.... oh boy

Reactions: iarick
You're trying way too hard and thinking far too little. If you didn't read the whole article or comprehend what was in the article, don't post.
I have read and it and I see similarities between our police here in Austin and theirs in Utah: the cops think they are above the law

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT