ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: What does next years line up look like?

OldHawkFan

HR MVP
Feb 28, 2010
A ton of bad luck and injuries this year.
Hoping they can patch themselves together for one awesome weekend at nationals.

That being said, I’m not sure if this has already been discussed, but with the Covid extra year of eligibility (that can get a bit confusing) and obviously Spenser’s redshirt, who’s coming back next year and who’s coming in?
I think DeSanto, Young, Bull, and Kem are done, correct? Is everyone else eligible to come back? Who’s filling those holes?

TIA

A ton of bad luck and injuries this year.
Hoping they can patch themselves together for one awesome weekend at nationals.

That being said, I’m not sure if this has already been discussed, but with the Covid extra year of eligibility (that can get a bit confusing) and obviously Spenser’s redshirt, who’s coming back next year and who’s coming in?
I think DeSanto, Young, Bull, and Kem are done, correct? Is everyone else eligible to come back? Who’s filling those holes?

TIA
Cullen will replace desanto. Not sure who replaces young. Kennedy fills in for the bull. And brands for kemerer. Spencer back at 25. 141 probably will be Henson. 49 murin. And cass and Warner are back as well

Is there a chance Kennedy goes 174 and brands goes 165?
Probably not is my guess. Plus Kennedy already down to 65 is where he belongs. Wrestlers with height and length give him problems. See O’Malley matches on youtube

Reactions: dgordo
I would be shocked if there isn't a transfer or two added. You know PSU is going to add some. If Iowa can add a couple mid to high AA caliber transfers they could compete for a natty again next year. The era of the transfer can make you Championship caliber every year.

I would be shocked if there isn't a transfer or two added. You know PSU is going to add some. If Iowa can add a couple mid to high AA caliber transfers they could compete next year.
I would love to see riggins at 57. He wrestles like a lightweight and shots at the time!!

Psu might look like this. Steen/Howard 25/33. 41 Bartlett 49 svn. 57/65 will be two freshman in facundo and Levi something name escapes me but he is very good. Then from 74-heavy the same as this year

Drake is a small 125. He lacks muscle even at 125. No he will not be at 133 any time soon. Maybe in a couple years after he has had all of his redshirt year next year to put on muscle, but no way he will be 133 next year. Get it out of your head. He would get thumped at 133.

Is there any possibility Ayala bumps up to 33 next season or is he a career 125?
Yep I think so. Just a hunch, but if I were betting I’d place my money on Ayala at 133 come next March. This depends on how he responds to his injury aka what kinda treatment he’ll need. If surgery, he might not have the time to become a full sized 133.

A lot of my confidence is based on the fact that he’s not as small as everyone seems to think he is. Give his injury, and possible surgery I could be wrong.
Again. You think he will be 33. I don’t. I’ll bet that!! Let’s do wfl or Hawkeye wrestling club if you are that confident!!

Reactions: el dub
Again. You think he will be 33. I don’t. I’ll bet that!! Let’s do wfl or Hawkeye wrestling club if you are that confident!!
Haha. I’m not that confident. I’ve had disclaimers on both of my last two posts describing why. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be surprised.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Yep I think so. Just a hunch, but if I were betting I’d place my money on Ayala at 133 come next March. This depends on how he responds to his injury aka what kinda treatment he’ll need. If surgery, he might not have the time to become a full sized 133.
I would be beyond stunned if this came true, nor do I want that to happen. Get healthy, get stronger for 125 and get better. That's my personal wish list for Drake Ayala.

We are losing legit title contender/top 3 level guys at 133, 141, 165 and 174 and a proven AA at 157. None of the guys expected to replace them project to that level now. Spencer, Max, Warner and Cass are the only ones you could honestly project to AA going into next season based on body of work. Keep in mind you need 4 or 5 high AA types as a base to be a title contender. Mid to low AA doesn't score much.

Last edited:
We are losing legit title contender/top 3 level guys at 133, 141, 165 and 174 and a proven AA at 157. None of the guys expected to replace them project to that level now. Spencer, Max, Warner and Cass are the only ones you could honestly project to AA going into next season based on body of work.
True. But 141 clears out. We get Fix and his magic juice to transfer, maybe that cuts down on the injuries, so a twofer there. Then when Deakin and Brooks transfer in, we're all set.

• Haha
Reactions: GoHawks1996
Current Wrestlestat rankings:

125 - Lee #1
133 - Schriever #43
141 - Henson #40
149 - Murin #10
157 - only 157 on roster is Robles #249
165 - Kennedy #30
174 - Brands #17
184 - Assad #16
197 - Warner #8
285 - Cass #3

2023 is definitely going to be a "development" year, alas. Schriever, Henson & Kennedy all showed glimpses of future greatness, but their current rankings seem about right. Let's hope all three can move into the top 8 quickly.

Probably late to the party but no chance.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT