ADVERTISEMENT

Sick of being a bridesmaid!

I was at Iowa when the basketball switched from the fieldhouse, which was not comfortable and had some lousy views, but was incredibly LOUD. Carver is a great place to watch a game, but even then, when fan interest was very high, it was never as raucous and intimidating. It has been 40 years, but I still believe that a renovation of the area near the court could transform Carver into a little of both. The aisles are so damn wide from the top to the court, that it looks like the place is half full near the court, even when it is sold out. Make the first dozen rows on either side of the court a student section with much smaller aisles, leading to the higher sections. Put in bleachers that can make some noise. Fans were standing in line for hours to buy student tickets, the couple of years after the final four season. Change can happen, as Fran starts to make traction recruiting. The BTT championship, along with Luka and Keegan's success, must have interest higher again???

I hate and don't understand the NIL crap, but Iowa needs to get on with figuring it out SOON.

Agreed. Nobody gets all the targets they want. Not event the bluebloods.
Exactly. If you’re not hearing “no” a lot more than “yes”, you’re recruiting the wrong players. Any program worth its salt is bigger than any recruiting class, and certainly much bigger than any single recruit.

Fran builds good rosters. Period.

Believe in the man and the program.

Nothing new for Fran, he can't close it on the big time out of state recruits that have no ties to Iowa....he just isn't a good enough coach with good enough record to get it done get used to it!

Relax , as far as I know no announcement for either Power or Estrella has been made and if the kids like another school better so be it. I hope they both become Hawkeyes but if not who cares, good for them that they decided to go where they wanted to go

Nothing new for Fran, he can't close it on the big time out of state recruits that have no ties to Iowa....he just isn't a good enough coach with good enough record to get it done get used to it!
Maybe some kids don't want to come to Iowa because the fan support in BB is not very good overall. Social media is real and effective. (and/or destructive)

I think Fran has been doing a heck of a job and rebuilding into nice rosters after losing some damn good talent.

Tyler Cook and Luka Garza were considered very good out of state recruits. Owen Freeman was being recruited by a number of B10 schools…..Fran’s done pretty well.

I was at Iowa when the basketball switched from the fieldhouse, which was not comfortable and had some lousy views, but was incredibly LOUD. Carver is a great place to watch a game, but even then, when fan interest was very high, it was never as raucous and intimidating. It has been 40 years, but I still believe that a renovation of the area near the court could transform Carver into a little of both. The aisles are so damn wide from the top to the court, that it looks like the place is half full near the court, even when it is sold out. Make the first dozen rows on either side of the court a student section with much smaller aisles, leading to the higher sections. Put in bleachers that can make some noise. Fans were standing in line for hours to buy student tickets, the couple of years after the final four season. Change can happen, as Fran starts to make traction recruiting. The BTT championship, along with Luka and Keegan's success, must have interest higher again???

I hate and don't understand the NIL crap, but Iowa needs to get on with figuring it out SOON.
One more thing about Carver- the media have better seats than most of the fans! Most of the other arenas I've been in have the media behind 25-30 rows of seats- at CHA the media tables seem to be much closer than that. I would reconfigure by putting the big donors there so they can sit quietly behind the Iowa bench. Those big media tables as well as the wide exit rows contribute to the arena always looking empty when it's seen on tv.

What is Iowa Hoops doing on the NIL side? Iowa Hoops has been outbid in the past, some illegally. Not sure what is going on for the top Nike and Adidas kids. Fran seems most focused on true student athletes and guys that will develop. The crazy game keeps getting crazier.

Tyler Cook and Luka Garza were considered very good out of state recruits. Owen Freeman was being recruited by a number of B10 schools…..Fran’s done pretty well.
Purely objectively speaking, he really has. I certainly never expected an uptick in talent after he had been here ten years but that’s exactly what he has done.

I really don’t understand what some of you guys are expecting. The only programs that we‘re not at least keeping pace with are the blue bloods and let’s face it…we never were.

With the schedule and experience and talent we have, Iowa has an excellent chance of winning a regular season league title this year, imo. Considering the state of the competition, maybe the best chance in a generation.

Fran did that. The man deserves some credit and he has earned some trust.

Last edited:
Pisses me off how NIL is openly being used as inducements to recruits which is explicitly forbidden.
Not saying Tenn is doing it with JP but it clearly is happening around the country.
It is almost forcing schools to break the rule just to compete.
Fran and Kirk don't play that game so we lose.

Is it forbidden for "outside" entities to contact recruits and make offers contingent on going to a particular school?

Purely objectively speaking, he really has. I certainly never expected an uptick in talent after he had been here ten years but that’s exactly what he has done.

I really don’t understand what some of you guys are expecting. The only programs that we‘re not at least keeping pace with are the blue bloods and let’s face it…we never were.

With the schedule and experience and talent we have, Iowa has an excellent chance of winning a regular season league title this year, imo. Considering the state of the competition, maybe the best chance in a generation.

Fran did that. The man deserves some credit and he has earned some trust.
No he needs to get alot more talent on the squad cause he has shown he can't coach his way to the sweet 16...needs to get the talent great enough to over come that part. :)

And those dresses are UGLY!

😉

Well we have to let the process play out. Estrella and Power will choose what they think is best for them. It may or may not be Iowa but Fran already has a good class for '23. We all want to take the next step but Iowa seldom has in the past. Hope for the best.

Well we have to let the process play out. Estrella and Power will choose what they think is best for them. It may or may not be Iowa but Fran already has a good class for '23. We all want to take the next step but Iowa seldom has in the past. Hope for the best.

It is ignorant to think that Estrella or Power would have single-handedly changed the course of this program. But whats disappointing is that collectively, the class could have set Iowa up for some special things. For example, our friends out East are hauling in a star studded class and have their eyes set on much more than just a sweet-16.

This class has some solid players and its nothing to shake a stick at. But the way it is shaped up currently isn't much different than lots of the other classes Fran has pulled in in the last decade. Can probably still expect these guys to contribute, maybe make an all-conference team, get Iowa into the tourney, and thats about it.

ADVERTISEMENT