ADVERTISEMENT

Sidelines fire.. get real time.

FormerPlayer07

Scout Team
Oct 10, 2019
I wish KF would get more adamant on the bad calls. (possible Epenesa caused fumble against Penn State). Come out on the field and ramp sometimes, get the penalty, who cares. It might charge up the team. It seems like key no calls (PI's) in the MI game and no review in the Penn State game were critical junctures in the game. I thought our sidelines were too passive. Challenge the play, throw the towel, keep the refs honest.. Watch how coach Franklin worked the refs. Now, did this lose the games for Iowa? It didn't help but the OL play was the killer. Mix in an average game plan and no trick plays or misdirection's and the Penn State D knew the play before we ran it. Our QB also has tendencies that clue-in the defense to what he's running, specially on audibles. Iowa needs a mobile run threat from it's QB position. We are young. We are talented. We played two very good teams. WI played MI at WI and MI was without two key D lineman. They played in the Iowa game. We are not a great team, we are a good team. We have a brutal schedule. This will season this young team for the next few years. Coaches left, players went NFL and we are young and adjusting. We tend to scream and stomp our feet and blame everyone. Fundamentals win games. 9-3 could be a great season with this schedule. Look at our incoming recruits, look at the talent. Iowa football has a great future. Solve the OL issues and watch out. Deuce Hogan sees it, he could have gone about anywhere, but he sees where Iowa is going. If he has faith, why can't we? This year it's WI and Ohio State as the cream, deal with it, cheer for an upset, sometimes it's fun being the underdog.

Watch how coach Franklin worked the refs.

don't hassle the ref's if they are leaving you along.. Iowa only had one penalty for 5 years.. (might have been a holding that PSU didn't accept)

Reactions: Front7
I wish KF would get more adamant on the bad calls. (possible Epenesa caused fumble against Penn State). Come out on the field and ramp sometimes, get the penalty, who cares. It might charge up the team. It seems like key no calls (PI's) in the MI game and no review in the Penn State game were critical junctures in the game. I thought our sidelines were too passive. Challenge the play, throw the towel, keep the refs honest.. Watch how coach Franklin worked the refs. Now, did this lose the games for Iowa? It didn't help but the OL play was the killer. Mix in an average game plan and no trick plays or misdirection's and the Penn State D knew the play before we ran it. Our QB also has tendencies that clue-in the defense to what he's running, specially on audibles. Iowa needs a mobile run threat from it's QB position. We are young. We are talented. We played two very good teams. WI played MI at WI and MI was without two key D lineman. They played in the Iowa game. We are not a great team, we are a good team. We have a brutal schedule. This will season this young team for the next few years. Coaches left, players went NFL and we are young and adjusting. We tend to scream and stomp our feet and blame everyone. Fundamentals win games. 9-3 could be a great season with this schedule. Look at our incoming recruits, look at the talent. Iowa football has a great future. Solve the OL issues and watch out. Deuce Hogan sees it, he could have gone about anywhere, but he sees where Iowa is going. If he has faith, why can't we? This year it's WI and Ohio State as the cream, deal with it, cheer for an upset, sometimes it's fun being the underdog.
Well said, especially QB tendencies and audible issues...this has been the case for many years, you could basically cut and paste those into this board since 2001...

This is also a very interesting subject re: coaches screaming and yelling on the sidelines vs. letting the assistants/players do their thing. If you are winning games, nobody cares and it takes care of itself.
If you are losing, then being stoic shows you don't care and screaming too much = you've lost team and they don't hear it anymore.

Yeah because we really want a guy like this..
rhoadsrockinfinal.gif

More meathead screaming coaches is what we need. What the world needs.

So funny. On the Nebraska board, where the team actually legitimately sucks ass, the posters there are all demanding Scott Frost yell and cuss and show some fire. And in the lounge, there are posters mad that Tim Polasek screams and cusses at practice. They want KF to take over the line coaching with his even keel and calm demeanor.

Now this “former player,” which if you believe that, instant message me about a great deal I can get you on the Brooklyn Bridge, wants KF to scream more at the refs...

I think fans just want to win.

Oh, and this...

mad_kirk_ferentz-300x169.gif

Last edited:
So funny. On the Nebraska board, where the team legitimately sucks ass, the posters there are all demanding Scott Frost yell and cuss and show some fire. And in the lounge, there are posters mad that Tim Polasek screams and cusses at practice. They want KF to take over the line coaching with his even keel and calm demeanor.

Now this “former player,” which if you believe that, instant message me about a great deal I can get you on the Brooklyn Bridge, wants KF to scream more at the refs...

Oh, and this...

Flick has alot of similarities to The Poster Who Won't Be Named.....

Disgree with him and feel the wrath!!

Good post and I agree with your sentiment. Summarizing my thoughts, the offense stinks and it has for most of KF's tenure minus years when Iowa had a mobile QB. If you can't play almost mistake-free football then the whole field position, let the D get turnovers, etc., mantra of KF goes up in smoke. Iowa gets consistently pinned in bad field position and struggles to mount sustainable drives to flip the field. A super conservative offense gets even more conservative and defenses can blitz with reckless abandon.

You have two options: Clean it up quickly and get closer to mistake-free football OR recognize the offense actually needs to be "offensive" and score points. I don't expect Iowa to go undefeated and compete for national titles. I do expect the offense to not be a whimpering puppy when facing non-cupcakes. At this point, can putting Pertras out there for a series or two per game hurt? Get a couple of first downs and flip the field if nothing else. Major lack of willingness to innovate for 20+ years.

At this point, can putting Pertras out there for a series or two per game hurt? Get a couple of first downs and flip the field if nothing else. Major lack of willingness to innovate for 20+ years.

If you are saying Petras should get some reps this season in the remaining games, I have no problem with that.

Are you saying that Stanley, a 3 year starter that was 25-43, 286 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, should have been pulled for Petras against one of the best defenses in CF, in a game that was never out of reach? That's not innovation, that's desperation.

If you are saying Petras should get some reps this season in the remaining games, I have no problem with that.

Are you saying that Stanley, a 3 year starter that was 25-43, 286 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, should have been pulled for Petras against one of the best defenses in CF, in a game that was never out of reach? That's not innovation, that's desperation.
I get your question... but a 3 year starter should have a bit more swagger than what we see out of NS. I dont want Eli Manning at the helm of this squad. He needs to have some fire and display that “it” factor. If your are the leader of this squad.... steady eddy should not be what is displayed. It conveys lack of confidence when the chips are down

I get your question... but a 3 year starter should have a bit more swagger than what we see out of NS. I dont want Eli Manning at the helm of this squad. He needs to have some fire and display that “it” factor. If your are the leader of this squad.... steady eddy should not be what is displayed. It conveys lack of confidence when the chips are down

Stanley does not have the "it" factor. He's not winning the important, close games.

The "it" factor is impossible to fake. When your team sees you make awesome plays at a key juncture of the game, then you have the intangible quality you like to see in a QB.

Stanley displays a quiet, confident attitude (steady eddy?) that says, "I'm not going to panic. Neither should you."

Drew Tate is an example. Fiery competitor, emotional, jacked-up. When he was a Soph, he was magical - made so many big plays in a great year (10-2). In 2005 (7-5) and 2006 (6-7), it was less about the "it" factor and more about yelling at guys that didn't do what they were supposed to.

Chuck Long had the "it" factor, and he was as stoic as they come.

If he doesn't have some of the it factor and some fire I am guessing he wouldn't have been voted a team captain. Just because he is not overly demonstrative on the field doesn't mean that he may not show it in the huddle or in the locker room.

So funny. On the Nebraska board, where the team legitimately sucks ass, the posters there are all demanding Scott Frost yell and cuss and show some fire. And in the lounge, there are posters mad that Tim Polasek screams and cusses at practice. They want KF to take over the line coaching with his even keel and calm demeanor.

Oh, and this...

I just mean they need more fire. their is a such thing as TOO PASSIVE, this doesn't mean a hissy fit. I truly do not care what you think or feel I am. Many on here are FB inept and sharky with remarks they truly say off the cuff.

Last edited:

Oh, and this...

Nice gif, anyone remember the play in question from this Outback Bowl? Was it the INT TD that was dropped a yard before the EZ?

Flick has alot of similarities to The Poster Who Won't Be Named.....

Disgree with him and feel the wrath!!

EVERYONE has their opinions, I will not begin to say I know everything about this game. Coaches and players are constantly learning. At least they should be anyway. This is not a sky is falling situation, it is a learn from it one.

EVERYONE has their opinions, I will not begin to say I know everything about this game. Coaches and players are constantly learning. At least they should be anyway. This is not a sky is falling situation, it is a learn from it one.
You appear to be new here, and I am more interested in your opinions than I am some others.....keep 'em coming.

Reactions: FormerPlayer07

Never out of reach losses are still losses. Did anyone think Stanley and that offense was going to drive down the field and score? I didn't. Two losses in a row that Iowa could have won with an awful offense, but they aren't that good. Not blaming Stanley. Just stating that there is no harm in giving Petras the keys for a drive or two per game when the offense has produced little / nothing. When you can't run the ball and you have non-mobile QB, you play into the hands of the defense whether it is PSU or somebody else.

Sitting a Qb as I said before, for a few series can sometimes be the best thing for them. It allows them to clear and refocus. Iowa will not remove our QB. Blow out games aside, it will be Stanley. I chatted with Stanzi, he said OL work and quick game plan with more Qb roll outs will go a long way. I agree.

Watch how coach Franklin worked the refs.

don't hassle the ref's if they are leaving you along.. Iowa only had one penalty for 5 years.. (might have been a holding that PSU didn't accept)
Franklin was pretty salty his team kept getting caught for legitimately holding.

But at least the refs made up for it by incorrectly overturning the targeting penalty......;)

Reactions: hwk23

BF was flagged recently for saying not so nice things to one of the refs. Might have been the MTSU game, but it was recent. KF is like Paul Chryst in terms of sideline demeanor.

Kirk was really letting the refs have it at one point last week. Iowa was trying to run hurry up, had made no substitutions and the ref was inexplicably standing over the ball not letting iowa run a play.Kirk was on any official that could hear him for the next three plays. Finally the head ref came over and talked to Kirk during a time out.

I’m an official and don’t do college but know plenty of guys that do.

They said that with pretty much every major college coach that whines and rides the officials, it just kinda rolls off the shoulder and you’re fine with your calls.

But if KF rips into you, you know you effed up. He knows the rules like the back of his hand.

You don't want a QB who has won two Super Bowls as QB? I would take Eli tomorrow if we could get him some eligibility.

I wish it was a penalty in college football for the way many of the coaches treat the officials. If I thought the NCAA had any ethics I would be amazed they tolerate it.

You talk about these programs teaching their players to be men while you’re coaches act like entitled children.

Reactions: ctghawk
You are a bad person.

LoL. I’m a bad man!

Seriously, Brian has already done a few things that warrant a Fran type explosion comparison - blew up this season at the refs drawing a flag, punched a wall and broke his hand, yelled at the replay official, half time of Minnesota game two years ago. No?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT