ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day not as important anymore...

Iachi88

Rookie
Mar 20, 2009
For those who got all jacked up over signing day and Proctor flipping, GOOD NEWS, it's not all that important anymore. "Commitment" means holding my scholarship spot in your class unless something better comes along, and "Signing My Letter of Intent" means this is the first place I'll try... if I don't get treated like the star I think I am, I'm outta here.

If Proctor gets his ass handed to him a few times, or gets stuck behind a better player, or gets homesick, or if Alabama underperforms again, or if Iowa has a fantastic season, or any combination of the above and more, you'll likely see him (along with a bazillion others just like him) in the transfer portal in a year or two. Ala Oliver Martin...

Iowa will still thrive on 3-star guys on down who are just grateful for the opportunity to come in, work hard, grow, develop, and be part of a team, etc. But you can expect to see your 4 and 5-star guys leaving for the portal every year or two. Just pick up a few in the portal to replace those on the way out.

Your correct But if I was Iowa I would have one guy delegated exclusively to portal and transfer players…..I would cut my scholarship distribution down and bank 5-8 every year for portal and transfer guys. Just a new world out there.
5-8 may be a bit much for my tastes, remember we'll have our share of guys leaving too, but agree with pretty much everything else.

Recruiting, and informal tampering, are pretty much a year-round deal anymore. I'd define "informal tampering" as having players in contact with "friends" on other teams they know aren't overly happy in their current situations. Sorta like the Charlie Jones deal.

And "friends" could be anyone from former teammates (Charlie Jones deal) to other athletes they met on recruiting trips.

Not particularly thrilled with any of these realities, just recognizing the new state of college football. Alas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971
For those who got all jacked up over signing day and Proctor flipping, GOOD NEWS, it's not all that important anymore. "Commitment" means holding my scholarship spot in your class unless something better comes along, and "Signing My Letter of Intent" means this is the first place I'll try... if I don't get treated like the star I think I am, I'm outta here.

If Proctor gets his ass handed to him a few times, or gets stuck behind a better player, or gets homesick, or if Alabama underperforms again, or if Iowa has a fantastic season, or any combination of the above and more, you'll likely see him (along with a bazillion others just like him) in the transfer portal in a year or two. Ala Oliver Martin...

Iowa will still thrive on 3-star guys on down who are just grateful for the opportunity to come in, work hard, grow, develop, and be part of a team, etc. But you can expect to see your 4 and 5-star guys leaving for the portal every year or two. Just pick up a few in the portal to replace those on the way out.
Cool, can we start turning the signing day theatrics down now? Pretty sick of seeing all the "look at me, I'm special" tweets and such. Just do your signing, if you are special, it will be seen on the field.

Cool, can we start turning the signing day theatrics down now? Pretty sick of seeing all the "look at me, I'm special" tweets and such. Just do your signing, if you are special, it will be seen on the field.
This!
And even if Proctor flames out at Bama(don’t think he will) He would never come back to “lowly Iowa” after he burnt his bridge talking about the talent disparity and needing to be “challenged”. Yep - Iowa never puts linemen in the NFL…… geeesh.

Does the portal allow for in-season transfers? Say, Ohio State has a rash of injuries at DT, so they pluck a couple from somewhere else and they start playing right away?

Your correct But if I was Iowa I would have one guy delegated exclusively to portal and transfer players…..I would cut my scholarship distribution down and bank 5-8 every year for portal and transfer guys. Just a new world out there.
If you don’t have huge NIL cash to give you can forget about landing portal guys.

This!
And even if Proctor flames out at Bama(don’t think he will) He would never come back to “lowly Iowa” after he burnt his bridge talking about the talent disparity and needing to be “challenged”. Yep - Iowa never puts linemen in the NFL…… geeesh.
If Proctor ever does transfer to Iowa, can we call him the “proctorigal son”?

• Haha
Reactions: 1911_Bandit
This!
Not sure if Proctor will flame or not but if he ever leaves Alabama it won't be to come back to Iowa. It will be an Oregon paycheck or something along the lines of that. Frankly I hope he stays at Alabama and has a great career year. I don't see him as a stater there in year 1 so patience will be a big thing for him.

ADVERTISEMENT