ADVERTISEMENT

Since 2017 we have lost 18 games…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
Not yet counting this year because records aren’t final. Those 18 losses have come to 13 teams with 9 to 13 wins…

The combined average records of said teams is 9-4. NO HEAD COACH ever should be let go with those numbers.

Yes it’s true if we lived in a vacuum and can just plop in our own offensive desires without affecting anything else, we could be much better… But I would also propose we could easily be worse than we are. In fact about 120 other schools have been!

WE all want better offense as long as it doesn’t affect the defense!

In reality I don’t think even our own fans appreciate the elite level this defense is at. They have like 10 or 15 more interceptions than anyone in the country over the last five or so years. They routinely score defensive touchdowns, they routinely bury teams inside their 10…

We could statistically still be a great defense and still not be as imposing! I’m not interested in changing anything just so we can score more points I’m interested in winning more games. Anyone with a physics background will tell you, even minute changes can have significant consequences!

With a decent offense the last two years we would be relevant on the National level and not just the BIG west. Most people just want KF to adjust and fix the O….

I anticipate that FIX may possibly be without Kirk as our head coach and what do you want to wager our relevancy changes dramatically?!

We all get what the fans want… It’s getting there without wrecking the rest of the team!

Lets remember, we didn’t get better when let KOK go, nor when we let GD go, per se….

Yet oddly, with a horrific O, we are better now?!

My prediction is eventually we will get what the fans want and we will be worse for it.

I anticipate that FIX may possibly be without Kirk as our head coach and what do you want to wager our relevancy changes dramatically?!

We all get what the fans want… It’s getting there without wrecking the rest of the team!

Lets remember, we didn’t get better when let KOK go, nor when we let GD go, per se….

Yet oddly, with a horrific O, we are better now?!

My prediction is eventually we will get what the fans want and we will be worse for it.
Well Kirk is approaching 70 so yeah, he isn’t coaching forever. I am hopeful that whenever that is, we get a good hire and the team is at least as good or better. Iowa isn’t a bad place for a coach to want. It is why our guy has been here so long.

• Haha
Reactions: D_Lovin_HawkeyeGuy
Well Kirk is approaching 70 so yeah, he isn’t coaching forever. I am hopeful that whenever that is, we get a good hire and the team is at least as good or better. Iowa isn’t a bad place for a coach to want. It is why our guy has been here so long.

Iowa is a great place to coach, but so are 30 other places and they routinely go back before they go foward.

With a decent offense the last two years we would be relevant on the National level and not just the BIG west. Most people just want KF to adjust and fix the O….
What do you mean be relevant on the national level? From 2018 to 2021 we were ranked in the top 25 every year. That is four years in a row. How many teams can claim to have accomplished this over the last 4 years?

Not yet counting this year because records aren’t final. Those 18 losses have come to 13 teams with 9 to 13 wins…

The combined average records of said teams is 9-4. NO HEAD COACH ever should be let go with those numbers.

Yes it’s true if we lived in a vacuum and can just plop in our own offensive desires without affecting anything else, we could be much better… But I would also propose we could easily be worse than we are. In fact about 120 other schools have been!

In reality I don’t think even our own fans appreciate the elite level this defense is at. They have like 10 or 15 more interceptions than anyone in the country over the last five or so years. They routinely score defensive touchdowns, they routinely bury teams inside their 10…

We could statistically still be a great defense and still not be as imposing! I’m not interested in changing anything just so we can score more points I’m interested in winning more games. Anyone with a physics background will tell you, even minute changes can have significant consequences!
Not on offense

You’re missing the point. How many of those losses would be wins if the Hawks averaged one more TD per game. We should be 8-2 this year if the offense even had a pulse.

You’re missing the point. How many of those losses would be wins if the Hawks averaged one more TD per game. We should be 8-2 this year if the offense even had a pulse.

I am, how many more losses would we have if our defense was top 30?

And your point is we can switch our focus to more offensive production and keep the D the same?! Right?!

Should be easy right?

And your point is we can switch our focus to more offensive production and keep the D the same?! Right?!

Should be easy right?
You understand there are analytics now that allow you to see adjusted numbers if you want to see win rates ect?

Playing offense literally HURT us against Ohio state. We are nor asking for greatness

You understand there are analytics now that allow you to see adjusted numbers if you want to see win rates ect?

Playing offense literally HURT us against Ohio state. We are nor asking for greatness

I do understand that, so your proposal is to not send out the O?

Because the metrics that are measured by wins and losses suggest we are playing pretty good TOTAL football over the last five years,right?

What if we can’t fix the offense but can keep winning games?

This is what I was talking about on white knighting the offense lol. Just give it up

“And your point is we can switch our focus to more offensive production and keep the D the same?! Right?!”

The offense stinks and should be better at Iowa. If you think hiring a different OC and QB coach will hurt the defense then I’m not sure what to tell you. Just be sure to not let Kirk see you in his bushes

This is what I was talking about on white knighting the offense lol. Just give it up

“And your point is we can switch our focus to more offensive production and keep the D the same?! Right?!”

The offense stinks and should be better at Iowa. If you think hiring a different OC and QB coach will hurt the defense then I’m not sure what to tell you. Just be sure to not let Kirk see you in his bushes

Have you watched Iowa over the last 20 years? Just curious?

Did u like KOK, GD…..?

And I guess you’re saying there is absolutely no way if we switched our focus and became more offensive-centric it will affect the defense is that what you’re saying?

I’m all for you taking over if you can guarantee me what you say is true. And I’m not being a dick. I mean this, guarantee me the offense can get better and the D will stay the same?

Then you could hire yourself out to Lincoln Riley and do that for his defense, right?

Did u like KOK, GD…..?

And I guess you’re saying there is absolutely no way if we switched our focus and became more offensive-centric it will affect the defense is that what you’re saying?

I’m all for you taking over if you can guarantee me what you say is true. And I’m not being a dick. I mean this, guarantee me the offense can get better and the D will stay the same?

Then you could hire yourself out to Lincoln Riley and do that for his defense, right?
Who the hell is saying to make our team more offensive centric? We are asking for a competent offensive coordinator that put out an avg to below avg unit lol.

And to your idiotic point you keep making, if we have an offense that gets first downs and extends drives guess what happens for that defense?

What kinds of changes to the defense do you read people writing about? I dont think trying to have a better offense will affect the defense with the defensive coaches and recruiting we are doing now.

Should be easy right?
Of course you obviously have to sacrifice defense for offense 🤔🤔🤡. What a stupid position to take. That being better on offense hurts the defense, when in fact, it would help the defense.

Who the hell is saying to make our team more offensive centric? We are asking for a competent offensive coordinator that put out an avg to below avg unit lol.

And to your idiotic point you keep making, if we have an offense that gets first downs and extends drives guess what happens for that defense?

Really thanks I never even considered that 😊.

Although… I don’t think everybody on here is having a hard time following what I’m saying!

Again my prediction is, KF won’t hire an OC to your liking, we won’t get a ton better and the next coach will have a fine offense and yet we will end up worse for the wear.

I’d wager money on it!

this

we've seen little to no change in the offensive philosophy, hawk fans aren't asking for a top 25 unit, just top 75-100.

Yep improve it to rank of 75-100 but then improve it more to rank of 50-75 and no reason why it cant be done.

Kirk has had an undersized OLine for a good number of years no and they are having some trouble pushing defenses around plus teams know more about how to disrupt the zone blocking schemes with penetration.

You cant reach block and block the 2nd level when they are already in your own backfield.

What kinds of changes to the defense do you read people writing about? I dont think trying to have a better offense will affect the defense with the defensive coaches and recruiting we are doing now.

You’re not following what I’m saying… As I said the other day this whole entire team. Offensive coaches, head coach, analysts, grad assistants, etc. etc. etc. are focused on building a Defensive juggernaut. I think our offense is so bad because we give it about 15 to 20% of the time….

Knowing from experience working in a business what happens if all of a sudden one day you flip your focus, shit changes everywhere…!

Reactions: hawkhockey
Of course you obviously have to sacrifice defense for offense 🤔🤔🤡. What a stupid position to take. That being better on offense hurts the defense, when in fact, it would help the defense.

Ok….that’s what I said😳

Ok….that’s what I said😳

That’s exactly what you said.

You’re not following what I’m saying… As I said the other day this whole entire team. Offensive coaches, head coach, analysts, grad assistants, etc. etc. etc. are focused on building a Defensive juggernaut. I think our offense is so bad because we give it about 15 to 20% of the time….

Knowing from experience working in a business what happens if all of a sudden one day you flip your focus, shit changes everywhere…!

Far too much logic and not nearly enough key board warrior shoot from the hip emotion here!

Reactions: cmhawks99

Did u like KOK, GD…..?

I know I’m not involved in the conversation, but I loved the version of GD that was committed to the run game and was willing to just grind teams to a pulp.

Unfortunately that version of GD was not always present and accounted for.

Reactions: cmhawks99
That’s exactly what you said.

I will now say this for at least I believe the 3rd time. This team/program is clearly focusing 70 to 80% of their collective mind and resources on defense… What do you think will happen if they switch that to say 50-50 it’s clear they can’t field a very competitive offense with the philosophy they currently have.

Now in order to fix our offense they are going to have to rethink everything they’ve done and yes experience tells me that definitely could affect the defense and I know damn good and well there are people on this board that get what I’m saying.

NOT better offense will make the D worse….but rather more focus, more attention to detail from one to the other, etc can especially affect other departments!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: not_mantiteo

I think we should just move to a different conference. Top three defensive teams in the nation are Big 10. We will have played 5 of the top ten defenses after the Minn game. ISU by far the best defense in the Big 12 at #10, after that is Baylor and KSU at 45 and 48 behind Purdue at 37, Wisc at 14 and Rutgers at 21.

On the flip side we play one team with a total defense ranking above 100 in Neb. while the Big 12 has 4 or 40% of their teams. Who you play matters.

• Haha
I know I’m not involved in the conversation, but I loved the version of GD that was committed to the run game and was willing to just grind teams to a pulp.

Unfortunately that version of GD was not always present and accounted for.

And that’s about the time Brian showed up on the OL. See that is a very good addition to this debate.

GD was actually a good coach over his career, but he got here and we killed him. KF, I don’t know why, doesn’t want a high-powered O & if by force they refocus. I don’t see it going well…

And I’m equally confident the next coach won’t field a D line we have. Mostly because our fans will erroneously choose offense because they are starved for it.

It shouldn’t be a surprise to any Big Ten football fan that the three teams that have played in the Big Ten championship over the last seven or eight years from the West have all mostly played above average to high end defense.

Eventually our fans will get their wish! And theyll all say things like…”Gee, all I wanted was a little better O….”

While going 5-7…

• Haha
Really thanks I never even considered that 😊.

Although… I don’t think everybody on here is having a hard time following what I’m saying!

Again my prediction is, KF won’t hire an OC to your liking, we won’t get a ton better and the next coach will have a fine offense and yet we will end up worse for the wear.

I’d wager money on it!
Literally anyone is better than Brian as OC and a QB coach

You didn’t, you said it would take away from the defense…..just asinine, a good offense and this defense would look fresher and more dominant. It’s not an either or for fvcks sake..

Hmmmm, we’ll actually it seems it is?!

So in your mind there is absolutely no way the team could change their focus and work harder at putting out a better offense & there’s absolutely no way that would affect the defense? That’s what you’re telling me correct?

A change of focus, maybe more focus on recruiting offensive talent vs D, everyone’s eyes refocused on the O and not the D, because heck it’s already great!

Absolutely no way, ever that could change our defensive dynamic?

No chance that could ever happen, just so I’m sure where you stand…?

Your
Hmmmm, we’ll actually it seems it is?!

So in your mind there is absolutely no way the team could change their focus and work harder at putting out a better offense & there’s absolutely no way that would affect the defense? That’s what you’re telling me correct?

A change of focus, maybe more focus on recruiting offensive talent vs D, everyone’s eyes refocused on the O and not the D, because heck it’s already great!

Absolutely no way, ever that could change our defensive dynamic?

No chance that could ever happen, just so I’m sure where
You’re ridiculous…I’m sure Phil would focus less on D

I think we should just move to a different conference. Top three defensive teams in the nation are Big 10. We will have played 5 of the top ten defenses after the Minn game. ISU by far the best defense in the Big 12 at #10, after that is Baylor and KSU at 45 and 48 behind Purdue at 37, Wisc at 14 and Rutgers at 21.

On the flip side we play one team with a total defense ranking above 100 in Neb. while the Big 12 has 4 or 40% of their teams. Who you play matters.

Interesting point…Purdues 44th ranked Offense and 37th ranked Defense couldn’t beat our top Defense and bottom offense?!

Here is my plan we need to quit recruiting so many defensive players and focus more recruiting powers on the offense.

I’ve had about five guys today tell me focusing on offense won’t affect the defense in the least….

And we genuinely focus way too much of our resources on the defense. There are several of us that have been talking about it for a couple years that the defensive recruiting is way better. So my hope is they switch that to better offensive recruiting.

I can’t imagine three or four less defensive players switched to three or four more offensive players can’t help but make the offense better… Clearly it won’t affect the defense! I’ve been told!

• Haha
Your

You’re ridiculous…I’m sure Phil would focus less on D

Holy **** dude… If memory serves I don’t normally disagree with you this much but you are totally missing my point.

This defense is not just Phil Parker. I’m telling you the whole entire freaking program is focused on the defense… They recruit better on defense, they evaluate better, on defense they sign more defensive players, it seems to me.

Phil Parker is a stud but you’ve all elevated him completely above the Iowa program. Somehow he’s a ****ing magician and it doesn’t matter what the rest of everybody else does he’s gonna be fine… Clearly you’ve never been in a position of management if that’s really your thought!

Do an exercise for me go to the last five recruiting classes and pick out the last four defensive players we signed and turn them into offensive players… Then speculate to me what that might do to the program!

ADVERTISEMENT