ADVERTISEMENT

Since 2017 we have lost 18 games…

Really thanks I never even considered that 😊.

Although… I don’t think everybody on here is having a hard time following what I’m saying!

Again my prediction is, KF won’t hire an OC to your liking, we won’t get a ton better and the next coach will have a fine offense and yet we will end up worse for the wear.

I’d wager money on it!
Everyone can follow what you are saying. Your take isn’t guaranteed either. Can you GUARANTEE the defense will be worse if the offense gets better.?

• Haha
Reactions: D_Lovin_HawkeyeGuy
Everyone can follow what you are saying. Your take isn’t guaranteed either. Can you GUARANTEE the defense will be worse if the offense gets better.?

That’s bullshit they do not get what I’m saying because if they did they wouldn’t be acting like this…

I’m gonna go a different direction with you the offense getting better should help the defense as long as they don’t do things different on the defensive side of the program i.e. focus more on offensive talent, spend a little extra time on Offense during practice to try to improve that dynamic, switch kids routinely from Defense to Offense because they need more athleticism…

I can tell by the way people are responding that they truly think Phil Parker is an island and he will always make that defense great…

Odd because every year our fans predict the defense will be worse… But the island named Phil Parker cannot be affected by the outside world….hmmmmm.

My personal belief is the whole entire team would prefer to have a better defense than an offense and therefore the whole entire program recruits that way and practices that way….

Unless you’re not very bright and struggle with cognitive details if that ever switched directions it most assuredly will affect outcomes!

So again a better offense doesn’t affect the defense but for Iowa to get a better offense (because they are awful ) they’ve got to do all kinds of things differently inside that program, in fact maybe employing Phil Parker‘s help to identify more offensive talent!!

That’s bullshit they do not get what I’m saying because if they did they wouldn’t be acting like this…

I’m gonna go a different direction with you the offense getting better should help the defense as long as they don’t do things different on the defensive side of the program i.e. focus more on offensive talent, spend a little extra time on Offense during practice to try to improve that dynamic, switch kids routinely from Defense to Offense because they need more athleticism…

I can tell by the way people are responding that they truly think Phil Parker is an island and he will always make that defense great…

Odd because every year our fans predict the defense will be worse… But the island named Phil Parker cannot be affected by the outside world….hmmmmm.

My personal belief is the whole entire team would prefer to have a better defense than an offense and therefore the whole entire program recruits that way and practices that way….

Unless you’re not very bright and struggle with cognitive details if that ever switched directions it most assuredly will affect outcomes!

So again a better offense doesn’t affect the defense but for Iowa to get a better offense (because they are awful ) they’ve got to do all kinds of things differently inside that program, in fact maybe employing Phil Parker‘s help to identify more offensive talent!!
Whatever you say dude. Agree to disagree..

I will now say this for at least I believe the 3rd time. This team/program is clearly focusing 70 to 80% of their collective mind and resources on defense… What do you think will happen if they switch that to say 50-50 it’s clear they can’t field a very competitive offense with the philosophy they currently have.

Now in order to fix our offense they are going to have to rethink everything they’ve done and yes experience tells me that definitely could affect the defense and I know damn good and well there are people on this board that get what I’m saying.

NOT better offense will make the D worse….but rather more focus, more attention to detail from one to the other, etc can especially affect other departments!
do you think PP and bf are getting together and working on each other's game plans and poor bf is only getting 30% of the time??? seriously, that's why we have O and D coordinators; so each of them can focus 100% of their energy on their side of the ball. one of them is performing, the other is not. they are not mutually exclusive nor is it a dependent relationship, but they can be complimentary, just like KF wants it. if one of the guys was doing his job better this team would be ranked top 10 right now. but we aren't.

i just read your last comment... you really think the offense practices less or with less focus than the defense? you are off your rocker. or are just looking to argue. or maybe both.

do you think PP and bf are getting together and working on each other's game plans and poor bf is only getting 30% of the time??? seriously, that's why we have O and D coordinators; so each of them can focus 100% of their energy on their side of the ball. one of them is performing, the other is not. they are not mutually exclusive nor is it a dependent relationship, but they can be complimentary, just like KF wants it. if one of the guys was doing his job better this team would be ranked top 10 right now. but we aren't.

i just read your last comment... you really think the offense practices less or with less focus than the defense? you are off your rocker. or are just looking to argue. or maybe both.

I think based on the defense over the last five or six years and how much better the recruiting is on that side of the ball yes I believe that whole entire program is fixated on defense and based on the fact we’ve now had three offensive coordinator‘s with middling degrees of success. I absolutely think they focus more on defense all across the board….

It’s actually not all that different than running a car dealership and having a premiere used car program. If one day you decide you want to sell more new cars then you have to completely reconfigure rate your thought processes and your focuses …

Until you really re-change your focus and do things differently, you are never going to get what you’re looking for.

It literally will take a whole re-imagination of the program!

I’ve actually been in that above scenario and worked in a high dollar used car department as a manager and routinely we talked about selling more new cars, selling more new cars, selling more new cars… And when we did get serious about it in a season we did indeed sell less used cars and it wasn’t because we brought in a new high powered new car manager we literally changed our whole entire focus!!

I was a part of that focus! And I spent 20+ years managing used car departments in Chicagoland… So no I’m not completely daft here!

PS….we switched back eventually!

Now as an aside I am not at all saying some programs or some coaches couldn’t have a pretty good defense & a pretty good offense but that doesn’t appear possible with us!

I think based on the defense over the last five or six years and how much better the recruiting is on that side of the ball yes I believe that whole entire program is fixated on defense and based on the fact we’ve now had three offensive coordinator‘s with middling degrees of success. I absolutely think they focus more on defense all across the board….

It’s actually not all that different than running a car dealership and having a premiere used car program. If one day you decide you want to sell more new cars then you have to completely reconfigure rate your thought processes and your focuses …

Until you really re-change your focus and do things differently, you are never going to get what you’re looking for.

It literally will take a whole re-imagination of the program!

I’ve actually been in that above scenario and worked in a high dollar used car department as a manager and routinely we talked about selling more new cars, selling more new cars, selling more new cars… And when we did get serious about it in a season we did indeed sell less used cars and it wasn’t because we brought in a new high powered new car manager we literally changed our whole entire focus!!

I was a part of that focus! And I spent 20+ years managing used car departments in Chicagoland… So no I’m not completely daft here!

PS….we switched back eventually!

Now as an aside I am not at all saying some programs or some coaches couldn’t have a pretty good defense & a pretty good offense but that doesn’t appear possible with us!
i'm interested to know why you say this. do you attend practices and recruiting meetings? film study? i wonder what kirk would say about your conjecture? hell, who knows, maybe you're right. maybe Tom could ask some of the players is they've noticed any preferential focus on one side of the ball during practice. i don't think the answers would support your theory.

i think you're a decent poster, maybe a little too optimistic and antagonistic for my taste, but i really think you are just trying to rationalize why the offense is so terrible this year. it really comes down to the OL and QB, both of which fall under bf.

And that’s about the time Brian showed up on the OL. See that is a very good addition to this debate.

GD was actually a good coach over his career, but he got here and we killed him. KF, I don’t know why, doesn’t want a high-powered O & if by force they refocus. I don’t see it going well…

And I’m equally confident the next coach won’t field a D line we have. Mostly because our fans will erroneously choose offense because they are starved for it.

It shouldn’t be a surprise to any Big Ten football fan that the three teams that have played in the Big Ten championship over the last seven or eight years from the West have all mostly played above average to high end defense.

Eventually our fans will get their wish! And theyll all say things like…”Gee, all I wanted was a little better O….”

While going 5-7…
I get a kick out of the never going to win again shit.

We are going to win 2 big 10 games a year with our candy ass OOC?

Here is what is really going to happen, we are going to stay somewhere around a 7-5 or 8-4 team and we are going to go to the same bullshit bowls we go to now. We may actually get invited to higher Tier bowls because we will have a product "abc" wants in its bowl.

in 2009 Iowa averaged 23.2 points per game
in 2010 Iowa averaged 28.8 points per game

what year was the better year?

in 2015 Iowa averaged 30.9 points per game
Greg Davis was the OC... yet people say he was a terrible OC

in 2020 Iowa averaged 31.8 points per game
Brian Ferentz was the OC... yet people say is a terrible OC

what sticks out to me is the fact that people complain about the offense, no matter what..

it don't matter how many points they score... it don't matter how games they win... it don't matter who the OC is...

all they want...
is to complain about the offense
meanwhile the defense is getting underappreciated because the negterds are focused on one thing.

reminds of the time I went to a football game in the early 2000's and some drunk kept calling for a f'n flea flicker... over and over... and complaining as if KOK didn't know the right play to call.

drunk idiots pretending to be smarter than the coaches
nowadays... the message boards are full of them

in 2009 Iowa averaged 23.2 points per game
in 2010 Iowa averaged 28.8 points per game

what year was the better year?

in 2015 Iowa averaged 30.9 points per game
Greg Davis was the OC... yet people say he was a terrible OC

in 2020 Iowa averaged 31.8 points per game
Brian Ferentz was the OC... yet people say is a terrible OC

what sticks out to me is the fact that people complain about the offense, no matter what..

it don't matter how many points they score... it don't matter how games they win... it don't matter who the OC is...

all they want...
is to complain about the offense
meanwhile the defense is getting underappreciated because the negterds are focused on one thing.

reminds of the time I went to a football game in the early 2000's and some drunk kept calling for a f'n flea flicker... over and over... and complaining as if KOK didn't know the right play to call.

drunk idiots pretending to be smarter than the coaches
nowadays... the message boards are full of them
Lol

i'm interested to know why you say this. do you attend practices and recruiting meetings? film study? i wonder what kirk would say about your conjecture? hell, who knows, maybe you're right. maybe Tom could ask some of the players is they've noticed any preferential focus on one side of the ball during practice. i don't think the answers would support your theory.

i think you're a decent poster, maybe a little too optimistic and antagonistic for my taste, but i really think you are just trying to rationalize why the offense is so terrible this year. it really comes down to the OL and QB, both of which fall under bf.

All bullshit aside thank you for those kind words and I really mean that you would probably agree a couple kind words to start a conversation, alleviates a lot of hard feelings and nasty rhetoric after the fact…

To me it seems pretty obvious and I’m not even trying to be funny, we are so over the top defensively and I mean guys, I still don’t think people understand how ****ing incredible this defense is and I’m not even talking raw numbers I’m talking opportunistic touchdowns, safeties etc. etc. it’s almost like we’ve given up on offensive football entirely, KF has found a formula that works and an agent (Phil Parker) who can exploit the talent and that’s what he is going to do!

Now that’s strong I know but if my premise is somewhat accurate it certainly explains my my concern for what happens when we re-imagine our focus because I don’t think anybody can objectively disagree that all focus is Defense Defense defense defense and then more defense…

I’m finding out today many of our fans think that is only simply because of Phil Parker, but I’d wager you, if you stopped and thought about it, you might begin to go hmmm, this is a whole program philosophy and they aren’t even giving the offense a chance to succeed!

I think they understand theyd like to have a better offense, but I think they trust the process on defense so thoroughly that they’re willing to hedge!

Just my thoughts and what I have ACTUALLY been saying!

Literally anyone is better than Brian as OC and a QB coach
No, literally anybody isn't better. An OC that wants the ball in the air 40-45 times is going to make our D play more possessions because that style of offense creates more total possessions, and quicker possessions. An OC that wants a lot of ball handling has a similar effect.

None of that changes the ultimate question: how can Iowa's offense score a lot more points and control more of the clock?

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT