ADVERTISEMENT

Since Penn St.....

Dec 17, 2019
Spencer has started 11 games and is 4-7 (wins over Northwestern, SD St, Nevada and Rutgers).

The coaching staff seems to credit Petras for the 10 win season last year, but are we sure we win that Minnesota game if Spencer starts? I feel for Spencer and I understand why the coaching staff would want to give him every opportunity but this is insanity at this point. At minimum the mobility of Padilla or Labas could free up the line and run game a bit and allow us to not bleed from our eyes watching the last 6 games.

The willingness of Kirk and co to sacrifice a season because they like a kid's personality and work ethic marks the end of the competitive Ferentz era, and puts a tarnish on his legacy.

IMO Ferentz is operating the same way he always has except now he has his incompetent son to help with the Iowa football offense disaster. It is beyond pathetic and as long as Ferentz is coaching the program will continue to spiral downward. JMHO

He gets zero credit for the NW game. He played three seried before Padilla took over. There is no way they were winning that game if Petras stayed on the field.
Which makes me wonder-the apologist narrative regarding SP's decline once they started playing the meat of the schedule last year is that he was so banged up during the Wisconsin game. Of course, that doesn't explain his performance against Purdue the week before, but, you know, excuses.
So, when during the SDSU game did he suffer the injury that "broke him" this season and if he is broken, why does the 7-Million Dollar Man continue to trot him out there?

Spencer has started 11 games and is 4-7 (wins over Northwestern, SD St, Nevada and Rutgers).

The coaching staff seems to credit Petras for the 10 win season last year, but are we sure we win that Minnesota game if Spencer starts? I feel for Spencer and I understand why the coaching staff would want to give him every opportunity but this is insanity at this point. At minimum the mobility of Padilla or Labas could free up the line and run game a bit and allow us to not bleed from our eyes watching the last 6 games.

The willingness of Kirk and co to sacrifice a season because they like a kid's personality and work ethic marks the end of the competitive Ferentz era, and puts a tarnish on his legacy.
One year ago today was the Penn State game. I was thinking earlier 'my how things have changed since that evening.' All of the recruits in attendance. The atmosphere. The loudness of Kinnick. KF has always been adamant about not getting too high or too low but it sure feels pretty low right now.

IMO Ferentz is operating the same way he always has except now he has his incompetent son to help with the Iowa football offense disaster. It is beyond pathetic and as long as Ferentz is coaching the program will continue to spiral downward. JMHO
Honestly “spiraling downward” in itself is a farce. KF has made a living on mostly beating bad teams and an occasional upset. He has had everyone fooled and it’s starting to show, especially now that bad teams in the West have competent coaches.

Reactions: Dargo
If you look around the NFL, there are very few elite offenses such as maybe the bills, chiefs, etc. college is the same way with georgia , alabama, etc. it is few and far between to find a great QB/WR combination.

so, basically, Iowa has survived by having great D and special teams and an OK running game and occasionally an OK qb. with good line play.

I liked the big guys like chandler and stanley at QB for the 4th and 1 calls where they just fall forward for the first down. that was cool.

we don't see the line play and the big QB here. heck the running backs are decent but who knows if they are good because they get blown up behind the line of scrimmage. Iowa needs O line and big QB's and that's about it. or a new coach. with a new scheme.

Kirk feels he is entitled to put a pathetically poor offense on the field only to waste high level defenses and special teams. Just saw where he is 7-7 in the last four games. This is not new as it has been going on for over a decade,

If you look around the NFL, there are very few elite offenses such as maybe the bills, chiefs, etc. college is the same way with georgia , alabama, etc. it is few and far between to find a great QB/WR combination.

so, basically, Iowa has survived by having great D and special teams and an OK running game and occasionally an OK qb. with good line play.

I liked the big guys like chandler and stanley at QB for the 4th and 1 calls where they just fall forward for the first down. that was cool.

we don't see the line play and the big QB here. heck the running backs are decent but who knows if they are good because they get blown up behind the line of scrimmage. Iowa needs O line and big QB's and that's about it. or a new coach. with a new scheme.
I would take a speedy qb like DeJean over a big statue….

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
True, world around him has progressed he has stayed static.

The fact that he did not immediately upgrade the qb position following last year, from a guy who was clearly one of the worst in the country, is just impossible to understand.

I would take a speedy qb like DeJean over a big statue….
this is true. padilla may be speedy but we shall never know. the speedy guys tend to run out there and get hurt. unless they can side arm a quick toss like pat mahommes does. josh allen is pretty quick. these guys are few and far between. seems like nebraska used to get real speedy, quick QB's. wonder where they all went?

Honestly “spiraling downward” in itself is a farce. KF has made a living on mostly beating bad teams and an occasional upset. He has had everyone fooled and it’s starting to show, especially now that bad teams in the West have competent coaches.
Excellent post. I believe his record in conference play is around 58%. Not much above average, and that is in a very weak division since the conference expanded. Yet people want him to go out on his own terms like he is some kind of savior lol. Shows how low the standards are at Iowa. Honestly I think coaches would be lined up to take the Iowa job. You can absolutely suck at your job, get paid very well, and still never get fired.

Reactions: HawK + i
One year ago today was the Penn State game. I was thinking earlier 'my how things have changed since that evening.' All of the recruits in attendance. The atmosphere. The loudness of Kinnick. KF has always been adamant about not getting too high or too low but it sure feels pretty low right now.
Yep, ol' Kirk made sure that Iowa didn't get too sexy. The euphoria lasted a week until Purdue came to Iowa City the next week and reminded everyone that Iowa is still Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT