ADVERTISEMENT

Single most exciting play in Ferentz era

Most exciting single play in the Ferentz era?

• Tate to Holloway “All Up”

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • CJ Jones, C U Later

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Adrian Clayborn punt block, scoop, and score

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • Trick or Treat Tyler Sash interception TD return

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Beathard to Smith in the B1G championship

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • Sash lateral to Hyde INT return for TD

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • DJK returns kickoff for TD at the Horseshoe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dallas Clark TD vs Purdue on 4th down

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • 7 got 6 vs Michigan State

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Amani Hooker pick 6 first play of game vs OSU

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
One of my favorite plays of the Kirk era not mentioned above:
The CJ Jones reverse punt return (from Chris Oliver?) against Michigan in 2001.

Also, my favorite play from 2017 OSU was the fake field goal pass to Tyler Kluver. That was when the game changed from Iowa trying to beat OSU to Iowa successfully humiliating OSU.

Great question and great list, and if I'm judging simply based on "that moment", I'll put CJ to Smith just barely first. As mentioned, thinking that was the game winner to go to the CFP, the perfection of the pass, and Gus' call....
Second, I would go with CJ Jones. Again, as mentioned, the anticipation everyone had for our first major bowl in so long, how great that team was (that game notwithstanding); to take the opening kick back for the TD likely had people soiling themselves.
After that, I'd go with "The Catch". The roller coaster of emotions in a ten minute span.....

I totally understand anyone putting any of those first.

I don’t know, Tate to Holloway was awesome, I remember where I was when it happened. All of the others were fantastic as well.
I’d have to narrow it down to Beathard to Smith, which gave us the lead and a chance to win that game!! (If not for pass interference on Vandenberg when he had his defender beat and the guy held him, I think they win. Still think Ferentz should have called timeout on 4th down in defense to let them rest)
But I think 7 got 6, was my favorite. I glowed first a week after that catch. That entire 4th quarter was unbelievable, and the final drive leading to a 4th down with 2 seconds left, and Stanzi, having pretty much been inefficient all day, leads that drive and finishes with that throw.
It was unreal!!!!
Honestly, I’ll take them all!!!

I remember going to a Subway near work a few weeks after "The Catch". Former Hawk Mike Dolezal was the owner and I'd talked to him a few times before. He asked how I felt when that play happened. I'm like, I just stood up and in a high pitched voice go "Hawks win! Hawks win!"

Tough to top HUGE walk off winning plays in HUGE situations!

I'd put the Beathard TD right behind these 2. If we would have pulled out that game, it likely would have been the #1 play.

I love polls like this and they drive me crazy at the same time!
I agree with your comment that Beathard in Indy might be #1 if we had won, BUT how does the outcome that comes later impact the "most exciting single play"?
Another play I would include on a list was Greenwood's interception against Wisconsin in the 4th quarter of 2010 (the loudest I have ever heard Kinnick). If we convert that into 7 points, the game is over and that play is way up on the list. But we didn't so it fades away.
On the flip side, if Amani's pick six to start the OSU game ended with a 31-14 OSU win, this one is no where near making the list, right?

Anyhow, just rambling thoughts from a bored fan, but I love the topic.

The final play against Wisconsin at Madison in 2003 (actually the final 3 downs with the clock never stopping) was heart-stopping stuff in a big win leading to the second straight 10+ win season.

Another play that needs to be added to the list: The Cyclones "fujiwhara effect" play last September!!!!:)

7 got 6 for me. That was possibly the most physical college game I have seen. Hawks and MSU beat the snot out of each other the entire game. MSU took the lead and looked like they were going to pull one out at home. Hawks not only drove the field but found a way to finish in a crazy environment against a damned good defense. But there were no bad choices on that list.

7 got 6 for me. That was possibly the most physical college game I have seen.

Watched Ohio State snap Scott Mullen’s collarbone from the front row in 1998 and felt nauseated as he toppled over in pain, but Colin Sandeman twitching on the ground after that hit at MSU might have been the scariest thing I’ve ever seen in a college football game. Just brutal.

If "exciting" is the criteria, then Tate to Holloway wins easily. No other play on that list resulted in the same emotional swing as Tate to Holloway. We went from "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE CALL A GODDAMN TIMEOUT" to "I DON'T F-ING BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW" in about 3 seconds.
Lots of the other plays were big for the program, but nothing come close in the excitement department.

the excitement of tate to holloway was blunted by the blood boiling clock management that came before it. still exciting but it took some of the shine off.

Reactions: Herkyhawk247
As inexplicable as the no-timeout was, it may have worked to Iowa's advantage. LSU's DBs obviously were mixed up on who had who.
i agree but given ferentz's clock management problems, it was infuriating at the moment which, fortunately, turned to excitement the next.

Walk off homers above all others. Last play results in a win, can't get no better than those!

I voted for “The Catch” because I was there and it was the craziest ending after the clock mismanagement and all the screaming at the coaches to call a timeout...
However, I’ve always been in the camp that a bowl game is a reward for the season you had, especially if you’re not playing for a championship.
So for the importance of the program, I could definitely see voting for the Dallas Clark catch to beat Purdue on 4th down, because if not for that, we don’t get our first BCS bowl appearance. And I do believe that season set us up for a great run where we ended up being ranked in the Top 10 for three consecutive seasons...

These are all great options. For me it’s CJ Jones, bigger game than the Capital One. Being there in with 90% hawk fans, right after a full day of tailgating, the upper deck of the Orange Bowl was shaking so much it felt like an earthquake was happening.

Last edited:
7 got 6 for me. That was possibly the most physical college game I have seen. Hawks and MSU beat the snot out of each other the entire game.

I agree 100%. Almost every Big Ten game is a slug-fest, but that game was just incredible. The hits just kept on comin', and neither side would back down. After MSU pulled off the hook-and-ladder to set up the TD to take the lead with under 2 minutes to play, I was devastated.

But Stanzi and company marched the length of the field, and Iowa called the perfect play with 1 second left to keep its perfect season alive. Absolutely one of the most thrilling wins in all of Hawkeye history.

BTW: I think one of the things that helped make that game so memorable was the announcers. Wayne Larrivee did play-by-play, but I don't remember the name of the color guy who brilliantly said "7 got 6." They both were as awesome as the game itself, IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT