ADVERTISEMENT

Sirloin tips

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
In the Boston area, it is sold as "butt flap", and from what I understand, is fully known as bottom sirloin butt flap meat. The weber kettle thread made me nostalgic for grilling it as when I was in the Air Force many moons ago, that was our go to. I have not seen this cut of meat since being back in the midwest. Does anyone know if any grocery stores carry this in the DSM area?

And to get it out of the way, insert joke about my mom's butt flap.

Here is the meat:

Reactions: GOHOX69
The first article calls it flank steak. If butt flap is actually flank steak, then I love me some butt flap.

My go-to butt flap preparation (not H):

Marinade:
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup olive oil
3-4 cloves minced garlic
2-3 scallions, sliced thin
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Place steak in rectangular glass baking dish, pour marinade over steak, cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Remove from marinade and grill medium rare. Rest, loosely tented, 10 minutes, then slice thin across grain on a 45-degree angle.

Reactions: Tenacious E
The first article calls it flank steak. If butt flap is actually flank steak, then I love me some butt flap.

My go-to butt flap preparation (not H):

Marinade:
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup olive oil
3-4 cloves minced garlic
2-3 scallions, sliced thin
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Place steak in rectangular glass baking dish, pour marinade over steak, cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Remove from marinade and grill medium rare. Rest, loosely tented, 10 minutes, then slice thin across grain on a 45-degree angle.
Flank steak is something different, but I appreciate your recipe. My butt flap marinade is quite similar:

balsamic vinegar
red wine
soy sauce
minced garlic
garlic powder
onion powder
crushed dried rosemary
olive oil

I kind of wing it on the amount of everything, and adjust by smell. I cut up the butt flap into cubes for skewering, and it really soaks up the marinade.

Reactions: hawkeyeandy
Flank steak is something different, but I appreciate your recipe. My butt flap marinade is quite similar:

balsamic vinegar
red wine
soy sauce
minced garlic
garlic powder
onion powder
crushed dried rosemary
olive oil

I kind of wing it on the amount of everything, and adjust by smell. I cut up the butt flap into cubes for skewering, and it really soaks up the marinade.
Do yourself a favor...

Just go 3 parts Soy (a thhird of a bottle) and one part Srirachi (a couple nice big squirts) (which has most of the other stuff in it. No need to salt them before grilling. Just a bit of garlic powder on them. You're welcome.

Do yourself a favor...

Just go 3 parts Soy (a thhird of a bottle) and one part Srirachi (a couple nice big squirts) (which has most of the other stuff in it. No need to salt them before grilling. Just a bit of garlic powder on them. You're welcome.
I might give that a try, but the red wine, balsamic, and rosemary give it a completely different flavor profile than sriracha.

Fareway may have them labeled as Sirloin "Strip" and cut into steaks in their case. The other muscle is usually labeled as "Top of Iowa" sirloin when cut into steaks. If not separated, it's usually just labeled Whole Sirloin steak. Also, don't confuse either of the above with the Sirloin Tip as thats from a completely different muscle and better for lean stew meat imo.

Fareway may have them labeled as Sirloin "Strip" and cut into steaks in their case. The other muscle is usually labeled as "Top of Iowa" sirloin when cut into steaks. If not separated, it's usually just labeled Whole Sirloin steak. Also, don't confuse either of the above with the Sirloin Tip as thats from a completely different muscle and better for lean stew meat imo.
I don't think top of iowa sirloin is the same thing...

botton%20sirloin.png

botton%20sirloin.png
Yep, I was thinking of the Sirloin cap.

Looking more at images of the cut, it may get labeled as bottom skirt if you're perusing meat cases. I think you would have the best luck going to a locker or butcher that does custom work though.

@Tenacious E I reached out to my Iowa meat connection.

Hy-Vee and Fareway both receive them in boxes labeled “peeled knuckles.” The stores then cut them into “sirloin tip steaks;” that is how both stores market them.

I’m told you can find them in pretty much any Fareway. Hy-Vee is less reliable; apparently “metro yuppies don’t eat them” so you’re more likely to find them in smaller Hy-Vee stores but many bigger urban areas don’t even carry them.

Hope this helps anybody looking for them!

• Love

Hy-Vee and Fareway both receive them in boxes labeled “peeled knuckles.” The stores then cut them into “sirloin tip steaks;” that is how both stores market them.

I’m told you can find them in pretty much any Fareway. Hy-Vee is less reliable; apparently “metro yuppies don’t eat them” so you’re more likely to find them in smaller Hy-Vee stores but many bigger urban areas don’t even carry them.

Super cool for you to make that inquiry and share - if you are ever in the Ankeny region, I will throw some on the barby for you!

• Love
Reactions: ping72
I made this a week or so ago. Bring to room temperature, season with salt/pepper/garlic dry rub and sous vide for 2 hrs at 129 degrees. When you’re ready, get it out of the bag and pat it dry, then sear it (grill or stove) and you’ll have deliciousness.

botton%20sirloin.png
I really need to find a video that is gruesome but educational as far as showing the muscles on a butchered cow
and what they are cut into.

We got some packs labeled “Sirloin
Steak” from when we bought half of a half of beef. They were bone in, and they were awesome. I’m wondering if there may have been a bit of loin on them.

True, but this particular cut, like ribeye, is not best rare or on the rare side of medium rare. It is better toward the medium side of medium rare. Also, similar to flank steak.
That’s why sous vide is perfect. You can dial it in and not risk overcooking. Running it at 129 leaves you a little room to go up a couple degrees searing and still come out 131-133.

That’s why sous vide is perfect. You can dial it in and not risk overcooking. Running it at 129 leaves you a little room to go up a couple degrees searing and still come out 131-133.
Trust me, I am all about the sous vide. This particular cut lends itself to extended direct heat to char. If it's a little over it's fine. I prefer sous vide for sirloins and ny strips, as well as filet. I prefer direct heat with a suffocation of oxygen in the green egg for ribeyes, to prevent flare ups. I am going this route tonight. Will post pics to see if how it turns out.

Reactions: hawkifann
Sounds too much like butt crack steak. I hear it is inexpensive, tender and doesn't taste too good.

Sounds too much like butt crack steak. I hear it is inexpensive, tender and doesn't taste too good.
Well I bought some from fareway. Didn’t look like what I got in Boston, but I will report with pics. Could be that 24-year old tenacious e didn’t have very high standards and 47-year old tenacious e will judge accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping72
How do you make rice dirty? Being honest here.
This recipe is very good

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1/4 pound ground pork
  • 1/4 pound chicken livers, pureed
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 2 cups cooked long grain white rice
  • 1/4 cup beef stock or canned, low sodium beef broth
  • Dash of Tabasco, or other Louisiana hot sauce, to taste
Creole Dirty Rice
Creole Dirty Rice
Click image to enlarge
Method:
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. When hot, add the butter, onions, and bell peppers and sauté vegetables until tender and lightly caramelized, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add the pork and cook, using the spoon to break the pork into small pieces of meat, until well-browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the liver puree, bay leaves, jalapeno, salt, coriander, cumin, and cayenne and cook until liver is cooked through and spices are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the cooked rice and beef stock and continue to cook, stirring, until well-combined and rice is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Adjust the seasoning if necessary and add hot sauce to taste.

This recipe is very good

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1/4 pound ground pork
  • 1/4 pound chicken livers, pureed
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 2 cups cooked long grain white rice
  • 1/4 cup beef stock or canned, low sodium beef broth
  • Dash of Tabasco, or other Louisiana hot sauce, to taste
Creole Dirty Rice
Creole Dirty Rice
Click image to enlarge
Method:
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. When hot, add the butter, onions, and bell peppers and sauté vegetables until tender and lightly caramelized, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add the pork and cook, using the spoon to break the pork into small pieces of meat, until well-browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the liver puree, bay leaves, jalapeno, salt, coriander, cumin, and cayenne and cook until liver is cooked through and spices are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the cooked rice and beef stock and continue to cook, stirring, until well-combined and rice is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Adjust the seasoning if necessary and add hot sauce to taste.
Thanks much.

Who is the Nole that seems to know a lot about cooking? Not Trad, the knowledgeable guy.
Is it FSU 76? Tag him in, OP.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkifann
I might give that a try, but the red wine, balsamic, and rosemary give it a completely different flavor profile than sriracha.
You can try deglazing the pan with those. and using as a sauce. My marinade is more for grilling anyway. You'd have to cut the tips, marinade them and put them on skewers.

I'm not sure this was exactly the same cut, but it turned out pretty close, and it was delicious.

UD2OLQs.jpg

CCq0AwH.jpg

clyv4uE.jpg

WYIVV0v.jpg

MGlgiZz.jpg

ZTekJ3y.jpg

6jgnEr6.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT