ADVERTISEMENT

Six Chicago pizzerias make list of the 101 best pizzas in America

1. I hope I get to go to some of them some day. :(
2. Even before the pandemic I couldn't get a Chicago friend to go to Vito and NIck's with me. Or, drive me there I should say. But, they are mostly Republicans and I guess the neighborhood is too ethnic. So, we wound up at Dags a lot.

Lots of new locations in this iteration, I know because I’ve hit up usually about 2/3s of the old list and I’ve only hit up about half or maybe even less of this new one.

Just a couple of comments on first scan through.

1) I agree with the foodie chorus that Frank Pepe’s is the best pizza in the world and New Haven style is my favorite style followed by Trenton NJ tomato pie style, Neopolitan, NYC, Detroit, Florida/New England Greek and California. As I’ve mentioned in other threads, I like all styles I’ve tried except St Louis and Punxsutawney/Old Forge.

2) There are some that are definitely overrated. Pizza Bianco in Phoenix I’ve even tried it twice as I didn’t care for it the first time but as it I always shows up on these lists I gave it a second chance. We have a MUCH better Neopolitan style place in Tallahassee called Isabella’s so it’s not that I hate the style. Lucali is another one that doesn’t really live up to the hype. It’s perfectly fine, but I’d say there’s at least a dozen better places in NYC.

3) Meanwhile there’s some notable absences. First of all, there’s literally no representatives of the Trenton NJ Tomato Pie style which is a massive oversight. Papa’s is my favorite Trenton style and I’d have it in my top 3 to no worse than top 5 places in the country. But Trenton readers said a new one called Classico passed it up and I can’t comment as I haven’t been there. But DeLorenzo and Palermo’s are two other Trenton style places that usually (and deservedly) make best of lists. Also no Totonno’s or Grimaldi’s? I get that Grimaldi’s is a small chain and they also did away with Regina’s of Boston for being a small chain, but guess what? Their number 1 (and mine) is a small chain as well! And as far as Totonno’s goes, even though I would have it my number 2 overall pizza and best in NYC I can see arguments for some other NYC places to top It for number 1 in NYC but to not have it in the top 100? That’s heresy, idiocy, or both.

Without even looking at that article, I can assure you that Chicago is home to more than 5-6% of the top 100 pizzerias in America.

Without even looking at that article, I can assure you that Chicago is home to more than 5-6% of the top 100 pizzerias in America.

200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT