ADVERTISEMENT

SIX straight

Nebby's QBs don't have a defense capable of bailing their offense out. Our OC and QB do. I think we're 4-2 in spite of Petras, not because of him.
Petras is bad. Bad, bad. This is an 8-0 schedule, with the talent on this Iowa team, if you add nothing more than a top 80 qb in America.

Instead we have 2 losses with a 3rd coming because (I think someone posted) he’s 108th in the country.

Gets me a bit worried if Petras is clearly the best option. But with this defense... you can get by.

Thanks for the reply. I still like Kirk. The last 3 games were a blast. I will lose faith if we put Petras out there again next season. The rest of the team is too damn good to not try something else.
5th youngest team in P5 I think? Good Lord it will be a fun ride here going forward and we are complaining?

A less accurate qb and we lose by 3 scores. But I totally agree. It’s a give and take.
You’d be hard pressed to find someone less accurate starting at QB. Petras ranks 106th in the country at 55.6%. That’s pretty hard to do in the modern era where QB’s and offenses have such an advantage. I’ve never seen a QB miss so many short to intermediate throws where the receiver is just wide open.

Petras was pretty bad. Ya, some of those shoulda been caught, but those guys gotta be sick of digging them out of the turf, making catches sitting down, reaching behind their shoulders to catch the ball behind them, or watching it go sailing over their heads.

I was praying for #15 or #10 on every play.

Reactions: 24 so far
Nebby's QBs don't have a defense capable of bailing their offense out. Our OC and QB do. I think we're 4-2 in spite of Petras, not because of him.
Petras threw 1 int and Nebby scored after it. Otherwise he was pretty darn good.

It's clear that some of you posters just don't like the starting QB at Iowa. Never. I just don't feel that way. Kids make mistakes, especially when they are young and inexperienced. We will have to live with that until they get the experience to get better. In the meantime, enjoy 4-2 !

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Petras threw 1 int and Nebby scored after it. Otherwise he was pretty darn good.

It's clear that some of you posters just don't like the starting QB at Iowa. Never. I just don't feel that way. Kids make mistakes, especially when they are young and inexperienced. We will have to live with that until they get the experience to get better. In the meantime, enjoy 4-2 !
Just flat out wrong. We have a qb who is a liability and there is no hiding it and if you deny it you either are in denial or don't know how the game of football works. If we don't have someone else behind center next year I'm not going to be excited at all because we will not be winning big ten west titles with this guy and it will be very disappointing to know we won't give anyone else a chance to see if they could.

What is frustrating is that Ferentz refuses to give another QB a look. Now maybe Petras is the best we have, but history with Ferentz tells us he is not a good judge. To review:
We could all see Banks was better than McCann but Kirk stuck with McCann.
We could all see Stanzi was better than Christensen but Kirk stuck with Christensen.
We could all see Beathard was better than Rudock but Kirk stuck with Rudock.

Then let’s remember in 2012, Iowa goes 4-8 and never lets a QB other than Vandeberg play a snap. Nic Shimonek and Cody Sokol then transfer and have stellar senior seasons.

Any other team in the country would have given another QB a shot except Kirk.

Also did any one else notice Kirk pull ISM after his fumble yesterday? There are consequences for poor play for everyone except the QB and it’s frustrating.

He wasn't pretty darn good. He missed two throws to wide open guys that both would've been for a TD. He missed several other throws to wide open guys, and missed them badly. Even the first catch of the game was only a catch because Beyer made an amazing play on a poorly thrown ball. Sure Petras gets that completion and those yards in his stats, which makes his numbers look good, but that doesn't take away the fact that it was a bad throw to an open guy. This isn't about being against the starting QB. After the first two games I was still on board with Petras because he was a new starter and there will usually be bumps with a new QB and wanted to give him a chance. Season's almost over now and he's still very inaccurate throwing the ball and is very rattled and indecisive in the pocket under pressure.

I'm happy that we're 4-2 but we've beaten some very bad teams.

I’m not going to make excuses for Petras as he’s been average at his best times. I fully expect an open competition for the starting QB position come spring 2021. People need to step up and be “the man”. The rest of the Iowa team deserves that.

Just flat out wrong. We have a qb who is a liability and there is no hiding it and if you deny it you either are in denial or don't know how the game of football works. If we don't have someone else behind center next year I'm not going to be excited at all because we will not be winning big ten west titles with this guy and it will be very disappointing to know we won't give anyone else a chance to see if they could.
The moron you responded to is all of the above. In denial and doesn't know shit about anything I would guess, but certainly about Football. Everyone on The planet is wrong but him. That is the definition of a moron, or no recognition of reality when it stares you straight in the face.

He's been added to my Moron List, otherwise known as the Ignore button. He and Kilroy can have some great conversations with each other, probably in the same household! LOL!

Reactions: not_mantiteo
The moron you responded to is all of the above. In denial and doesn't know shit about anything I would guess, but certainly about Football. Everyone on The planet is wrong but him. That is the definition of a moron, or no recognition of reality when it stares you straight in the face.

He's been added to my Moron List, otherwise known as the Ignore button. He and Kilroy can have some great conversations with each other, probably in the same household! LOL!
Maybe when you get to 25 you'll have a little more developed between your ears.

Reactions: squeezebox
six-times-in-a-row-caleb-sullivan.gif

2020 4-2
2019 10-3
2018 9-4
2017 8-5
2016 8-5
2015 12-2

I wonder how many P5 schools have more wins in the last six seasons. Whatever the number, that is how many schools that would trade places with Iowa under Kirk.
Never read through this thread until it was just bumped, but it's funny isn't it? We're discussing having one of the best 5/6 year stretches in the country, best stretch in program history, and people (like the post below) are still wanting change.

I hope the irony of this being said in a thread about 6 wins in a row against Nebraska isn't lost on anyone. It's almost like that program serves as a cautionary tale or something....

For those wanting change, I'm sure there are a ton of coaches out there that can bring something new and interesting to Iowa City. Having someone actually win, that's a whole hell of a lot harder. I'm personally more than satisfied with being one of more constant winning programs out there, but to each their own. Some guys just like flash. I'm sure Minnesota is looking for some more fans now. I hear that guy up there is super new, shiny, and exciting.

Wasn't pretty. I'll enjoy the win, but I'm ready for a change.

2020 4-2
2019 10-3
2018 9-4
2017 8-5
2016 8-5
2015 12-2

I wonder how many P5 schools have more wins in the last six seasons. Whatever the number, that is how many schools that would trade places with Iowa under Kirk.

I see a whole Lotta 2nd and 3rd place in the division finishes there. Let me guess, next year you will reference our 7 year stats? Kilroy would be proud.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Never read through this thread until it was just bumped, but it's funny isn't it? We're discussing having one of the best 5/6 year stretches in the country, best stretch in program history, and people (like the post below) are still wanting change.

I hope the irony of this being said in a thread about 6 wins in a row against Nebraska isn't lost on anyone. It's almost like that program serves as a cautionary tale or something....

For those wanting change, I'm sure there are a ton of coaches out there that can bring something new and interesting to Iowa City. Having someone actually win, that's a whole hell of a lot harder. I'm personally more than satisfied with being one of more constant winning programs out there, but to each their own. Some guys just like flash. I'm sure Minnesota is looking for some more fans now. I hear that guy up there is super new, shiny, and exciting.
Hit the nail on the head.

When your starter sucks, you don't have to know anything at all about the backups. They were recruited as QB's to play DI Football, and when the starter doesn't get it done at ANY position, he SHOULD be replaced until you've proven all of your players suck at said position.
tenor.gif

Reactions: 24 so far

I hope you're being sarcastic. First of all, Nebraska defense is bad. Almost every single completion Petras threw was off target. The receiver had to make an acrobatic catch, which negated any yards after catch. Should have had 1 or 2 more interceptions against Nebraska as well. He missed how many easy throws? He has more interceptions than tds this year, is ranked last in the conference and 106th in the nation is completion %, but yeah other than that he is great. I don't even think he has thrown for 200 yards in a game yet this year against some piss poor defenses. How much time should we give him? Its his 3rd year in the program not his first, and the mistakes he is making with accuracy aren't going to get better, as I believe he had about the same piss poor accuracy in high school.

Why are the defenders of our average-at-best Iowa QBs always say "look! we won some games! we're so good so no critiques!"

We have won countless games in SPITE of (sometimes) horrific QB play. Phil Parker has propped this program up on his shoulders and we're so incredibly lucky to have him. If we have a halfway decent QB, we would have easily been winning the West the past few years.

Yes, Stanley has a bunch of near-records, but that's inflated due to several first round TEs pulling him out, and modern day offenses that put up more numbers than your 80s and 90s teams. Petras is also getting pulled along by the best OL in the B1G and the second best RB along with the best or second best defense. If we didn't have literally all of those factors and had to rely on Petras winning us games, we'd be winless right now.

I hope you're being sarcastic. First of all, Nebraska defense is bad. Almost every single completion Petras threw was off target. The receiver had to make an acrobatic catch, which negated any yards after catch. Should have had 1 or 2 more interceptions against Nebraska as well. He missed how many easy throws? He has more interceptions than tds this year, is ranked last in the conference and 106th in the nation is completion %, but yeah other than that he is great. I don't even think he has thrown for 200 yards in a game yet this year against some piss poor defenses. How much time should we give him? Its his 3rd year in the program not his first, and the mistakes he is making with accuracy aren't going to get better, as I believe he had about the same piss poor accuracy in high school.
Exactly. I'm not sure how many more games we need to give him for us to determine he's just not a D1 QB. I have zero faith that he'll be able to win us the game against Wisconsin, which is desperately needed. And because of him (and Brian wanting us to throw 50 times against Northwestern) we're out of the running for the West, again, despite having probably the best team. It's incredibly frustrating to be ever so close to being the juggernaut of the West again and having us stifled because of horrific QB play. If Wisconsin can get QBs to play well, why the hell can't we?

Ok.

Good luck at your day job.

What is frustrating is that Ferentz refuses to give another QB a look. Now maybe Petras is the best we have, but history with Ferentz tells us he is not a good judge. To review:
We could all see Banks was better than McCann but Kirk stuck with McCann.
We could all see Stanzi was better than Christensen but Kirk stuck with Christensen.
We could all see Beathard was better than Rudock but Kirk stuck with Rudock.

Then let’s remember in 2012, Iowa goes 4-8 and never lets a QB other than Vandeberg play a snap. Nic Shimonek and Cody Sokol then transfer and have stellar senior seasons.

Any other team in the country would have given another QB a shot except Kirk.

Also did any one else notice Kirk pull ISM after his fumble yesterday? There are consequences for poor play for everyone except the QB and it’s frustrating.

Good grief. Revisionist history.

Banks was not better than McCann. McCann has the 4th highest QB rating in the KF era from that season (behind Banks 2002, Stanzi 2010 and Beathard).

2001 McCann had a QB rating of 146.1 on 252 pass attempts, Banks had 145.7 on 68 pass attempts. Both guys were very good. Banks was given majority of snaps at Wisconsin and was 11 for 23 for 162 yards, 2 TD, 1INT. Made a crucial mistake of running out of bounds in front of the first down marker. McCann was not good either against the Badgers. Both QB's continued to play the rest of the way and played very well in routs of Minnesota and Northwestern. McCann was 10-11 for 169 yards and 3 TD's against Minnesota, and 9-14 for 156 yards against Northwestern with 1 TD and passer rating of 156.
2008 - Stanzi and Christensen. Oh yes, the fable gets better every year. Christensen started and played all of 2007 behind a bad o-line and wasn't very good. Completed 53% of his passes for 17 TD's and 6 INT. Was not accurate and basically was only good at not turning it over. Going into 2008, everyone assumed another year he was the guy. In the very first game. Christensen started, played the first 3 series, then Stanzi came in. Stanzi threw 14 passes, completing 9. Christensen was 9-15 with a TD and INT. This should have been a clue that Iowa was actually going to change QB's. It's pretty obvious that Stanzi was playing better in practice for the coaches to let him oust a starter, he just needed to do it in games
Next game was Florida International. Stanzi started, played very well. 8-10 for 162 yards, 3 TD's. Christensen was 8-12 for 99 yards and a TD.
Then came Iowa State. Played in the rain, Stanzi's first snaps against a real team. He was terrible. 5-14 with two interceptions. Christensen came in, basically didn't turn it over (completed 4 of 5). Iowa won with Greene's running and Brodell's punt return TD.
Then Pitt. Christensen started, was not good. Iowa trailed 14-3. Stanzi came in. Led a TD drive and a drive that ended up in a missed FG, Iowa trails at half 14-10. Christensen starts second half, second drive of the half Iowa scores to go ahead 17-14. Pitt scored to go ahead 21-17. Iowa gets a FG and 21-20. Christensen plays the entire half, was his final shot to show he should be the starter. Christensen is 12-24 for 124 yards and is sacked 4 times. Stanzi is 7-10 for 79 yards and is sacked twice. It's the last game Christensen starts at Iowa.
The following week Stanzi takes over against Northwestern. Iowa loses 22-17, despite averaging nearly 2 yards more per play than Northwestern. Iowa fumbles 4 times (loses all 4) and loses after leading 17-3. Yes, sounds familiar. Stanzi is 21-30 for 238 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 fumble. Game turns on a return on a fumble by Brodell with Iowa ahead 17-3, and if the punt isn't fumbled Iowa has the ball on the +50 yard line. Stanzi's fumble comes at the Northwestern 22-yard line. Points off the board.
Then Iowa goes to Michigan State and loses 16-13. Stanzi is 15-22 for 158 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. This is the game Iowa fails on 4th down inside the MSU 20 when Greene is stopped for a loss. Stanzi plays okay the following 2 weeks in big wins against Wisconsin and Indiana, then Iowa goes to Illinois and loses 27-22. Stanzi is 11-29 for 191 yards and 3 turnovers (2 INT and 1 fumble).
KF sticks with Stanzi as he's comfortable that he's the guy going forward, even with the very uneven play at the start of his career. In his first series of starts, he goes bad (Iowa State), okay (Northwestern), okay (Michigan State), okay in 2 wins (Wisconsin and Indiana) then bad against Illinois. 3-3 record. But then PSU happens, as well as 2009 and 2010.

In 2014, for the season Rudock had the higher completion %, better passer rating. But yes, Beathard clearly better. Note, I wanted to see Beathard get more of a shot after winning the game he started at Purdue. But in terms of who played better that year, Beathard didn't out play Rudock.

In 2012, Vandenberg was coming off a season in 2011 when he threw for over 3,000 yards, 25 TD's, 7 INT. Greg Davis came to be the o-coordinator in 2012 and the passing game that year was a crapshow. Shimonek did not join Iowa until 2013, when he redshirted. So he was not eligible to play snaps in 2012 for Iowa. He left Iowa because he was behind Beathard and Rudock, who both ended up in the NFL. Sokol took a redshirt in 2012, before losing the job to Rudock in 2013 and then transferring to Louisiana Tech for one year in 2014. Nothing would have helped the 2012 offense under Davis. A bunch of pieces that didn't fit.

One could argue that Iowa should recruit better at the QB position. But haven't seen the rationale that Iowa doesn't play the best guy at the position.

Reactions: iowahaha1
Good grief. Revisionist history.

Banks was not better than McCann. McCann has the 4th highest QB rating in the KF era from that season (behind Banks 2002, Stanzi 2010 and Beathard).

2001 McCann had a QB rating of 146.1 on 252 pass attempts, Banks had 145.7 on 68 pass attempts. Both guys were very good. Banks was given majority of snaps at Wisconsin and was 11 for 23 for 162 yards, 2 TD, 1INT. Made a crucial mistake of running out of bounds in front of the first down marker. McCann was not good either against the Badgers. Both QB's continued to play the rest of the way and played very well in routs of Minnesota and Northwestern. McCann was 10-11 for 169 yards and 3 TD's against Minnesota, and 9-14 for 156 yards against Northwestern with 1 TD and passer rating of 156.
2008 - Stanzi and Christensen. Oh yes, the fable gets better every year. Christensen started and played all of 2007 behind a bad o-line and wasn't very good. Completed 53% of his passes for 17 TD's and 6 INT. Was not accurate and basically was only good at not turning it over. Going into 2008, everyone assumed another year he was the guy. In the very first game. Christensen started, played the first 3 series, then Stanzi came in. Stanzi threw 14 passes, completing 9. Christensen was 9-15 with a TD and INT. This should have been a clue that Iowa was actually going to change QB's. It's pretty obvious that Stanzi was playing better in practice for the coaches to let him oust a starter, he just needed to do it in games
Next game was Florida International. Stanzi started, played very well. 8-10 for 162 yards, 3 TD's. Christensen was 8-12 for 99 yards and a TD.
Then came Iowa State. Played in the rain, Stanzi's first snaps against a real team. He was terrible. 5-14 with two interceptions. Christensen came in, basically didn't turn it over (completed 4 of 5). Iowa won with Greene's running and Brodell's punt return TD.
Then Pitt. Christensen started, was not good. Iowa trailed 14-3. Stanzi came in. Led a TD drive and a drive that ended up in a missed FG, Iowa trails at half 14-10. Christensen starts second half, second drive of the half Iowa scores to go ahead 17-14. Pitt scored to go ahead 21-17. Iowa gets a FG and 21-20. Christensen plays the entire half, was his final shot to show he should be the starter. Christensen is 12-24 for 124 yards and is sacked 4 times. Stanzi is 7-10 for 79 yards and is sacked twice. It's the last game Christensen starts at Iowa.
The following week Stanzi takes over against Northwestern. Iowa loses 22-17, despite averaging nearly 2 yards more per play than Northwestern. Iowa fumbles 4 times (loses all 4) and loses after leading 17-3. Yes, sounds familiar. Stanzi is 21-30 for 238 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 fumble. Game turns on a return on a fumble by Brodell with Iowa ahead 17-3, and if the punt isn't fumbled Iowa has the ball on the +50 yard line. Stanzi's fumble comes at the Northwestern 22-yard line. Points off the board.
Then Iowa goes to Michigan State and loses 16-13. Stanzi is 15-22 for 158 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. This is the game Iowa fails on 4th down inside the MSU 20 when Greene is stopped for a loss. Stanzi plays okay the following 2 weeks in big wins against Wisconsin and Indiana, then Iowa goes to Illinois and loses 27-22. Stanzi is 11-29 for 191 yards and 3 turnovers (2 INT and 1 fumble).
KF sticks with Stanzi as he's comfortable that he's the guy going forward, even with the very uneven play at the start of his career. In his first series of starts, he goes bad (Iowa State), okay (Northwestern), okay (Michigan State), okay in 2 wins (Wisconsin and Indiana) then bad against Illinois. 3-3 record. But then PSU happens, as well as 2009 and 2010.

In 2014, for the season Rudock had the higher completion %, better passer rating. But yes, Beathard clearly better. Note, I wanted to see Beathard get more of a shot after winning the game he started at Purdue. But in terms of who played better that year, Beathard didn't out play Rudock.

In 2012, Vandenberg was coming off a season in 2011 when he threw for over 3,000 yards, 25 TD's, 7 INT. Greg Davis came to be the o-coordinator in 2012 and the passing game that year was a crapshow. Shimonek did not join Iowa until 2013, when he redshirted. So he was not eligible to play snaps in 2012 for Iowa. He left Iowa because he was behind Beathard and Rudock, who both ended up in the NFL. Sokol took a redshirt in 2012, before losing the job to Rudock in 2013 and then transferring to Louisiana Tech for one year in 2014. Nothing would have helped the 2012 offense under Davis. A bunch of pieces that didn't fit.

One could argue that Iowa should recruit better at the QB position. But haven't seen the rationale that Iowa doesn't play the best guy at the position.
Banks was not better than McCann, I will prove this to.you by showing you a stitistic of where banks ranks higher than McCann!

My 2 cents: In season KF is going to stay with one guy until it has been proven he is hurting thr team. Out of season, when called for, he actually does have open competition.

All the above. I hope Ferentz retires on his terms, but Iowa is not fun to watch most games. Just my opinion.
Everyone has his opinion. Mine would be you would find another hobby instead of the crap you put on this site.
JMO!!

I see a whole Lotta 2nd and 3rd place in the division finishes there. Let me guess, next year you will reference our 7 year stats? Kilroy would be proud.

You kind of beg the question. I don't know Kilroy, unless you're making some kind of subtle reference to Styx, but I used the last five years so as to not just cherry pick good years. Also, to answer the fools that "demand" changing our head coach. Whether the division finishes are 2nd or 3rd there are still an awful lot of teams whose last five years aren't as good as Iowa's. A lot of P5 schools would trade with Iowa.

The last five seasons seem a reasonable metric for the "what have you done for me lately", the usual barometer for long time but now failing coaches. Well Kirk Ferentz is coming off a 10 win nationally ranked season and has Iowa currently nationally ranked (19) again this season.

You get a lot more Steve Alfords and Todd Lickliters when you abandon your career winningest coach just for the sake of change.

Banks was not better than McCann, I will prove this to.you by showing you a stitistic of where banks ranks higher than McCann!

My 2 cents: In season KF is going to stay with one guy until it has been proven he is hurting thr team. Out of season, when called for, he actually does have open competition.

LOL For the 2001 season, McCann's passer rating was slightly higher than Banks'. That's what I was referring to. I have no idea if Iowa's record is better than 7-5 in 2001 if Banks is the full-time starter. I don't think it is. But Banks didn't clearly outplay McCann in 2001 as people like to believe.

Reactions: ichawk24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT