ADVERTISEMENT

Sketchiest motel you’ve stayed at?

Bank of Hawk

HR Legend
Feb 24, 2007
Don’t have any great stories but there has to be a few out here in hrot land. Suppose the budget host i stayed at about 18 years ago ... a few weeks later the hotel burned from a meth lab.

Hampton Inn in Sanford FL. Should of just been burned down period.

Edit: used shampoo and soap in the bathroom, Door latch would not work properly to fully close the door.
Breakfast of 3-4 day old bakery and coffee that was at leased as old.
Owned by foreign people if you get my drift.

Last edited:
This one is easy for me...hands down the Crowne Plaza Jerusalem. Looks ok on the outside, rotten to the core inside.

Checked in, went up to the room and there were dead bugs all over my room. On the floor, on the desk, in the bathroom. Also cigarette burns on the bed spread and liquid stains on the carpet.

Back downstairs, get a new room...no bugs but same burns and stains. I wanted to check out, but it had been booked by a prospective business partner.

The next morning I am recounting this story for my colleagues at breakfast when a pair of rats chased each other across the floor.

6222660e2a3bce11467b3cc089be4a01.jpg

Also when I was in whatever city it was on the Island of Crete there was an Anti American protest going on in the area we wanted to go to for dinner. Hotel room had a tiny corner shower and a twin bed. But the place we did end up in for dinner was right on the Med Sea. Our dinner table was 10 feet from the water. So that was pretty cool.

Back on the 90s I stayed in a $17/night motel off I-70 outside St. Louis. Got my key and drove up to the room and the door was cracked open. Couldn’t find the light so had to wander around the room in the pitch dark looking for a light. Turns out the door latch was broken and I had to slide a dresser in front of the door to keep it closed while I slept.

Another time I was in DC and got a hotel late - shuttle picked me up at grand central station and took me out into E/SE DC. There was a couple homeless people right outside the lobby and an angry couple arguing violently at the end of my hall. I wasn’t about to go wandering around to look for something to eat but the nearby pizza place that was still open said they wouldn’t deliver there. I finally found a Chinese place that would bring me something.

Back before the days of the internet me and the wife went to clear water beach for vacation. We were way behind schedule and when we showed up at motel we had reservations at the front desk was closed. Had to find somewhere to stay...all the decent places were booked solid. Finally found a shit hole that advertised “hourly” rates.
Stains on the sheets...nasty bathroom. We ended up spreading our beach towels on top of the bed to lay on.

There's a super dive motel in Las Vegas, New Mexico. I think I was the first person in 30 years to pay for an entire night. Thank God I had a set of sheets in my car.

A hotel right next to the St Louis airport. Plumbing in the entire hotel went down on Friday and we weren’t scheduled to check out until Monday. We could use the pancake house next door if we needed the bathroom. Needles and baggies littered the parking lot. We were in our young to mid 20’s, so it wasnt that big of a deal.

Worst part about the trip was that no one around carried the BTN so we had to listen to Dolph describe two FGs being blocked to beat UNI.

Days Inn in Needles, Ca. Was probably great back in its day (Route 66) but the pool was filled with crap, the shower did not work and the poor place was in a general state of disrepair. It appears they have rehabilitated it since our stay.

I stopped to get a few winks at a Knight's Inn near South of the Border in South Carolina on my way to Florida back in 1997. I thought for sure I was going to either die from the paint fumes in my room or be murdered in my sleep by the roving packs of loud teens staying there.

Reactions: TheCainer

Don’t have any great stories but there has to be a few out here in hrot land. Suppose the budget host i stayed at about 18 years ago ... a few weeks later the hotel burned from a meth lab.
buddy and I road tripped one summer during college from Iowa to NC. Took a bunch of backroads made stops to see the Mammoth cave in Kentucky, the big bridge in virginia beach, backwoods diners in North Carolina, etc. Since we were poor when we swung through Maryland we stayed at a hotel that I don't even remember the name of but it looked like people had been murdered there. in the morning when we checked out the "lobby" had a "continental breakfast", which consisted of donettes while the clerk in the background was watching gilligan's island on a black and white tv.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
this place was beyond sketchy in the 90’s

Alexis Park Inn in Iowa City
alexis-park-inn-suites.jpg
Of
Lots of spooge and blood in that poop hole.
That’s where that cabbie murdered by the black guy who also killed the bail bondsman was found. Good people both sides..

Jonathan Wieseler, 34, an Iowa City bail bondsman, was fatally shot in his office at Lederman Bail Bonds on April 22. Police say Curtis C. Jones, 41, of Mount Pleasant, shot and killed Wieseler while carrying out a robbery.

Jones has pleaded not guilty to a charge of first-degree murder and is set to face trial Jan. 30.

Ricky Ray Lillie, 46, a Yellow Cab driver from Iowa City, was found shot to death in his taxi early on June 28.

Jones is also accused of killing Lillie. Police say he entered Lillie's cab on June 27 and took a ride to 520 Ernest St., a multi-residential building behind the Alexis Park Inn on South Riverside Drive, where he shot and killed Lillie. Several items were also missing from Lillie's cab, police say.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69
Rodeway Inn in Jacksonville. Our room number was written in pencil. We had to go to the lobby to get a lightbulb.

It's no longer there, but it was a motel off the I-85 access road near Doraville, GA outside Atlanta. It was used mostly by truck drivers at the time.

It was a Travelodge in San Francisco. On Market about halfway between Union Square and Castro. It was like $50 per night when everything else was $200. Hookers in the parking lot, drug dealers etc... Actually stayed there twice. I think its since had a renovation of sorts but not sure if its any less sketchy. Last few visits to SF have been in nicer hotels.

Any present or former resident of Tallahassee will surely remember the "Prince Murat" it has changed hands a couple of times in the last few years. Sketchy doesn't even begin to describe it.

I was a poor student. I drove from Panama City Beach (friend's wedding) to Austin. The intention was to drive straight through, but I was extremely hung over and got started late. I almost fell asleep at the wheel a few times before I finally gave up and pulled over for the night. The Motel-6 in Beaumont, TX fit my budget. What the hell was I thinking?

Never again.

This place. Not proud to admit. B/W tv, wire springs under the mattress (no box springs), linoleum tile floor.
5ca63d5f698b5.image.jpg

A place in Myrtle Beach got all of luggage unloaded and husked 200 yards to the room and the wife and kids meet me at the door and told me we aren’t staying here. I asked what the problem was and she showed me the huge blood stain all over the mattress. I loaded up our luggage and went back to the office and told her we weren’t staying. She gave our money back and didn’t seem to care.

When I was reclassing in 1994 at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, my wife came out for a 4 day weekend. We ended up staying in a place on Rte 40 that cost something like $15 per night. Pretty sure we were overcharged. She took the bedding up to the office and asked for a fresh set, the guy went to an empty room and pulled the bedding off and gave that to her and left ours in that room. Towels cost extra so I went back to my room on post and grabbed a couple from there.

We left on night two when we saw a cockroach, went to the office, told the guy and he handed us a flyswatter.

I'd been in cleaner places in 3rd world countries.

Reactions: lucas80
One in Houston on our way to a youth church gathering in SA. The door to our room wouldn’t lock and there was a sketchy nightclub next door. Lots of sirens and fights outside

Small town in Mexico between Veracruz and Tampico. No name place..tiny toom, cement floor, single bulb hanging from the ceiling, slept on top of the covers with clothes on in a dumpy, slouched bed. Do not recommend.

A hutong hotel in Beijing. You could hear your neighbors pooping because the ceiling weren't enclosed.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Red Roof Inn near Minneapolis. They had a giant telephone book on the floor- covering a big mouse hole. Awful place and then proceeded to go watch Iowa lose to Minnesota the next day.

I can't remember the name of it, but we were on a family trip to Florida when I was about 12. We stopped about 9:00 pm in Birmingham, Alabama. When we arrived, we noticed a family leaving which we thought was odd for that time of night. We get into our room and there is a cockroach the size of a car on the wall in the bathroom. We shook it off. Opened up one of the dresser drawers and there was another one in there. That was it, all got back in the car and went another hour down the road.

Was on a high school trip around Europe and the trip organizer arranged all hotel stays. Most of the hotels were decent but the one in Paris was extremely sketchy. Place looked like a rent by the hour place and the one man elevator was broken so we had to lug all luggage up the narrow stairway. Saw several cockroaches scurry when we entered the room and later we found a dead rat under one of the beds. Also TV was broke and no hot water for showers. Wasn't in my room but another group found a crusty used condom in the bed. We are were happy to move on to the next city after that stay.

Remember those 80's crapholes which had the 25 cent massaging beds. You'd put in a quarter and then the bed would vibrate uncontrollably. Apparently to increase your "sexual pleasure" haha.

Reactions: Red Hills Nole
Some crap hotel in Nashville. It was dark and dingy. Stains all over the carpet. Empty crack baggy in the nightstand.

Small town in Mexico between Veracruz and Tampico. No name place..tiny toom, cement floor, single bulb hanging from the ceiling, slept on top of the covers with clothes on in a dumpy, slouched bed. Do not recommend.
That sounds like the place you go before the cartel chops you up into tiny little pieces.

Remember those 80's crapholes which had the 25 cent massaging beds. You'd put in a quarter and then the bed would vibrate uncontrollably. Apparently to increase your "sexual pleasure" haha.
My brother and I would always drop in a quarter - always pissed off my dad. One time he was unloading the car and he came back in - we were bouncing on the bed and it was making a god awful noise. He loved us and loved to travel but at that moment I remember him looking like he’d rather be anywhere else but that dumpy hotel room.

My brother and I would always drop in a quarter - always pissed off my dad. One time he was unloading the car and he came back in - we were bouncing on the bed and it was making a god awful noise. He loved us and loved to travel but at that moment I remember him looking like he’d rather be anywhere else but that dumpy hotel room.
They were still fun days right? In those days, you didn't think anything bad would happen and everything was an adventure. Like sitting in the back of a station wagon with a swing out door on the interstate :) I guess we all survived haha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT