ADVERTISEMENT

slightly deeper dive into iowa offense ranking (including week 3)

desihawk

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2002
per espn at https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team

Iowa's total offense rank is 119 while scoring 28.3ppg.
Interestingly Minnesota offense is ranked 10 spots higher while scoring 17ppg, Nebraska O is ranked 20 spots higher while scoring 19.7 ppg, Indiana is ranked 30 spots higher while scoring 19.3ppg, Illinois is ranked 32 spots higher with 22 ppg, MSU is ranked 41 spots higher while scoring 27.7 ppg, PU is ranked 54 sports higher while scoring 26.3ppg.

Ranked purely on ppg basis Iowa comes in at #76

Interestingly Minnesota offense is ranked 10 spots higher while scoring 17ppg, Nebraska O is ranked 20 spots higher while scoring 19.7 ppg, Indiana is ranked 30 spots higher while scoring 19.3ppg, Illinois is ranked 32 spots higher with 22 ppg, MSU is ranked 41 spots higher while scoring 27.7 ppg, PU is ranked 54 sports higher while scoring 26.3ppg.

Yes, 3 metrics that are easy to discern, easy to graph and are the most meaningful and I don’t know how ANYONE can dispute them.

Points scored, points given up and…wins!?

I just saw a stat right before our first touchdown on the game rewatch that we’ve had 10 explosive plays already through the season. Where as we had 2 at this time last year. I have no clue how we ended up…

Last edited:

Check with Blowin Guys In Omaha, and see what he thinks…. 🤔

Yards per game ain't a great metric to measure the slow paced Hawkeyes IMO.

Jonesy posted a link to a site that does an offensive efficiency calculation:

Here's the website he linked:

Unfortunately the site isn't updated to include week 3 yet...

to compare with last year on same site— in 2022, total offense was #130 and purely ppg #122. so both metrics were a lot more in sync.
Statistics are a funny thing. They always become more meaningful as the amount of data from which to draw upon increases. A couple of defensive scores or short field scores will create a divergence between total yardage rankings (lower) and ppg rankings (higher). Those anomalies will become absorbed into the larger set of possessions over time and the rankings will converge as they did more or less last year. Efficiency rankings on the other hand take these anomalies into account all along making them more representative of the true nature of things throughout the year.

It all adds up and goes back to points scored, because that's what matters.

Show you can score points with consistency, and show you can do it against teams in a Power 5 conference.

You can't expect to win a championship in any given year let alone year after year, scoring 17 ppg. You can't do that if you want to make a NY6 bowl and you can't do that if you expect to ever make the expanded 12 team CFP.

Those are facts.

The lack of noticeable improvement in yardage isn't as big of an issue as long as it still, at the end of the day, translates to points on the f***ing score board.

The tricky thing is figuring out how to do it against Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois etc.....and not just (only) Western Michigan. 🤔

Yes, 3 metrics that are easy to discern, easy to graph and are the most meaningful and I don’t know how ANUONE can dispute them.

Points scored, points given up and…wins!?

I just saw a stat right before our first touchdown on the game rewatch that we’ve had 10 explosive plays already through the season. Where as we had 2 at this time last year. I have no clue how we ended up…
Sluuuuuuurp…..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT