ADVERTISEMENT

Smith-Marsette declares for NFL draft

Can’t believe all the ‘won’t get drafted’ or ‘6-7 round at best’ comments.

In looking at mock drafts and position rankings, he’ll certainly be drafted. And one drunk driving offense and some showmanship and everyone hates him now. Got it.

I loved watching him. We couldn’t utilize him as he probably deserved. Wouldn’t shock me one bit to see him catching passes next fall in the NFL

Yes, I'll never forget 74 in a 30. He isn't playing on Sundays, fool.

not condoning his actions, but I’m sure there are plenty on this board that did dumb things in their 20s (myself included). Don’t have to act all high and mighty and instead let the NFL teams decide the consequences of his behavior.

Last edited:
I wish him the best of luck. Does a senior really need to declare for the draft?
Could he play next year? YES. So he is just saying that he is opting to go pro and not play in the bowl game. As I noted above, I think he is still recovering from the ankle sprain so that made the decision easier.

I think you're in the minority if you don't think he appears to be a bit selfish. Good player? Absolutely. But we all saw his body language in games this season and last where he seemed frustrated when he didn't touch the ball.

I wish him luck. Iowa will survive.
I don’t know if that is completely fair. I see some of what you are saying, but over time when you continue to get balls thrown 10 feet over your head or hitting the grass two feet in front of you, especially when you are open, I can see any wr showing frustration with that.

I could see him limp into the fifth round.
But seriously, this excellent news. Proud of every Hawk making it to the next level. Good luck and GO HAWKS

Reactions: Hawk fan in Minn
I think you're in the minority if you don't think he appears to be a bit selfish. Good player? Absolutely. But we all saw his body language in games this season and last where he seemed frustrated when he didn't touch the ball.

I wish him luck. Iowa will survive.
Every time ISM touched the ball I thought he had a chance to score. He's that dynamic. And he is expressive. Generally he is smiling and having fun. That's what football should be about. I think he makes Iowa a better team.

not condoning his actions, but I’m sure there are plenty on this board that did dumb things in their 20s. Don’t have to act all high and mighty and instead let the NFL teams decide the consequences of his behavior.
Lol, comparing a kid who wants to play pro sports to the rest of us not on scholarships....
Merry Covid!

He is one of the best receivers to play here in the Ferentz era, and arguably the best. He had true speed and created separation. He had the “it” factor from the start as I still recall his great catch in the end zone at ISU his freshman year. Good luck to the kid. Outside of his one bad decision this year, he has been a great representative for the Hawks.

With only 114 targets over the past two seasons in Iowa’s run-heavy offense, ........
In his four-year career at Iowa, Smith-Marsette caught 110 passes for 1,615 yards and 14 touchdowns.
"It was a career day for the talented yet underutilized senior receiver,"

Those are outside observer words, not mine. We have difficulty attracting skill players and when we do,
we underutilize them. That's about 2.3 receptions a game. What is Bell averaging, 8-10? And we wonder why we didn't get him.

I think ISM will do well at the next level and hope that he does.

Hope he does well in the NFL it has been a long time since we have had a WR in the NFL.
2 years is a long time?

I could see him as high as a 3rd rounder with a really good combine. But his DUI will hurt him since he isn’t 1st round talent. I’m guessing more like a late 4th through 6th round pick. With his KO return ability that should help him stick on a roster.

With only 114 targets over the past two seasons in Iowa’s run-heavy offense, ........
In his four-year career at Iowa, Smith-Marsette caught 110 passes for 1,615 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Those are outside observer words, not mine. We have difficulty attracting skill players and when we do,
we underutilize them. That's about 2.3 receptions a game. What is Bell averaging, 8-10? And we wonder why we didn't get him.

That's the problem though with Iowa.

When we have Petras air it out 50 times a game, we see what happens. and everyone says "run the damn ball if you want to win".....and so Iowa does, and they do win.

But then everyone also says "we never attract better WR recruits because we don't throw enough"................

Can't have both things.

But yes we should get better WR recruits so Iowa can win a national championship, because f*** the NFL and f*** the elite programs taking top recruits because they think that's their best shot at getting to the NFL.

How's that sound? :D

Reactions: Moral

Btw, is that stat suggesting that IMS caught 110 of 114 targets over the past two seasons?........................

Okay.

Reactions: Moral
Can we not have a thread where some fatass who barely played in high school rips a former player for something? God damn, some of you losers are insufferable.

Good luck to ISM, definitely gave us a lot of good memories.

Ripping people for ripping people. Pretty solid approach. Do as I say, not as I do. Watched that a lot during Covid.

Quick question how many touchdowns did he have as a hawkeye? It amazed me how many games he turned around with a kickoff return. I can think of a couple where the opponent had just scored and ISM came right back with a kickoff return for TD. Heck he was a couple of inches away from throwing a TD pass to Smith if I remember right in that same game he had caught a TD returned a kick for a TD and ran for a TD. Talent like that does not come around that often.

The egotistical drama queen star wide receiver narrative has been blown out of proportion by sports media because of a few exceptional cases like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Ocho Cinco and Antonio Brown, to name a few.

But the list of exceptionally grounded star wide receivers is much longer: All-time greats like Jerry Rice, Tim Brown and Larry Fitzgerald were about as modest as they come, and today’s top wide receivers (Davante Adams, Julio Jones, DJ Metcalf and Deandre Hopkins are pretty chill dudes given their superhuman talents).

Point being, star wide receiver and egomaniacal shouldn’t be synonymous.
People mistake supreme confidence with egotistical diva

Another mid round WR and you know how good the Stillers grab WRs in the mid rounds ...just sayin😉

Normally I think this is a really disloyal thing to do to one's teammates. But [edit-Ihmir-I've mixed up his name all four years] is already banged up and faces a higher than normal risk of injury.

I'm not sure he'll get drafted but he'll stick somewhere as a kick returner and kind of an emergency WR. Love to see more.

Ihmir is certainly no diva. Just a lively kid that likes to do things his way in a relatively conformist system. He gave us four years of great football. Tyrone, you just became the man. Probably see some Charlie Jones as wide receiver as well.

Last edited:
Normally I think this is a really disloyal thing to do to one's teammates. But Isaiah is already banged up and faces a higher than normal risk of injury.

I'm not sure he'll get drafted but he'll stick somewhere as a kick returner and kind of an emergency WR. Love to see more.

Isaiah is certainly no diva. Just a lively kid that likes to do things his way in a relatively conformist system. He gave us four years of great football. Tyrone, you just became the man. Probably see some Charlie Jones as wide receiver as well.
Who?

I've been jaded about Iowa WR getting to the league since I saw McNutt barely get an NFL sniff. Marvin was a much better WR than ISM, but ISM has running and return abilities that may give him a chance.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
God some of you guys. If a player isn't a humble 2* white kid from small town Iowa, you don't like him.

ISM isn't selfish, isn't self-centered, isn't a me-first guy. He's been a great Hawkeye and deserves our thanks and well wishes. The Holiday Bowl was one of the all-time great performances in Iowa history.

God some of you guys. If a player isn't a humble 2* white kid from small town Iowa, you don't like him.

ISM isn't selfish, isn't self-centered, isn't a me-first guy. He's been a great Hawkeye and deserves our thanks and well wishes. The Holiday Bowl was one of the all-time great performances in Iowa history.
YES YES YES. AGREE 100%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT