ADVERTISEMENT

Smoke & mirrors and a lot of guts

HoustonREDHawk

HR Legend
Feb 5, 2003
Anyone who has complained about Fran's coaching this year needs to remember this game. No CJ, Weesy doing nothing on offense, and Luka getting some marginal fouls, but they still won in the barn. Outstanding games for Luka, Connor, Evelyn, Kriener, and Pemsl. GREAT WIN.

Krueger, Pemsl and Conner really come through. Bakeri scared the hell out of me a couple of times. And I really wish Joe T had the opportunity to redshirt this year, but obviously he couldn’t.

Reactions: Tunadog
Great to have the win, and love the team's resolve, but I'm also keeping it in perspective. Minnesota looked like a spineless team in that last 5 minutes, scared to death and crawled into a hole when the chips were down. Won't be any Friday BTT opponents or NCAA Tourney opponents like that. We really need C.J. to get healthy and for him and Weesy to find their games, so we can close the season strong for a change, and make the postseason run we've been aching for for decades.

I wasn't aware Ryan Krueger transferred from SDSU, welcome aboard! ;)

i

Anyone who has complained about Fran's coaching this year needs to remember this game. No CJ, Weesy doing nothing on offense, and Luka getting some marginal fouls, but they still won in the barn. Outstanding games for Luka, Connor, Evelyn, Kriener, and Pemsl. GREAT WIN.
time for an RELB (raise, extension, larger buyout)

Great to have the win, and love the team's resolve, but I'm also keeping it in perspective. Minnesota looked like a spineless team in that last 5 minutes, scared to death and crawled into a hole when the chips were down. Won't be any Friday BTT opponents or NCAA Tourney opponents like that. We really need C.J. to get healthy and for him and Weesy to find their games, so we can close the season strong for a change, and make the postseason run we've been aching for for decades.

i get what you are saying but that is exactly why Minnesota is a pretender and Iowa is in the muck at the top of the standings. Mental toughness.

I guess you can say that about Minnesota. However, I am going to go the other way and say Iowa didn’t wilt or back down. They certainly weren’t scared and were determined to win. Who gives a **** about Minnesota.

Great job today!

I will say, I'm confused by the Riley Till choice. I trust the coaches, but I'm not sure what he brings that, say, Ash or Baer can't. Height? Everytime he comes in, the other team goes on a run.

Great job today!

I will say, I'm confused by the Riley Till choice. I trust the coaches, but I'm not sure what he brings that, say, Ash or Baer can't. Height? Everytime he comes in, the other team goes on a run.
Not stumping for Till, but what would be your reasoning behind Ash or Baer, remember this isn't brother Nick here. Baer has done nothing to show he should be stepping in and Ash is just a guy who can drop some rainbow three's (and not in close game situations), that look like an 8th grader trying to shoot the long ball. Neither player has the chops to be inserted into a pressure game. Till has at least been in some of these contests, and lets be honest, were really scraping the barrel when we have to put him in. I'd really hoped he would give the team a few minutes as well, but It certainly seems above his level of play. I think we've all been spoiled watching the "Baer cage" the last few years, and thinking there might be some help in this group. Try as they might, there are no prime time players in our current group of walk ons, and Fran will have to limit their use as much as possible.

Not stumping for Till, but what would be your reasoning behind Ash or Baer, remember this isn't brother Nick here. Baer has done nothing to show he should be stepping in and Ash is just a guy who can drop some rainbow three's (and not in close game situations), that look like an 8th grader trying to shoot the long ball. Neither player has the chops to be inserted into a pressure game. Till has at least been in some of these contests, and lets be honest, were really scraping the barrel when we have to put him in. I'd really hoped he would give the team a few minutes as well, but It certainly seems above his level of play. I think we've all been spoiled watching the "Baer cage" the last few years, and thinking there might be some help in this group. Try as they might, there are no prime time players in our current group of walk ons, and Fran will have to limit their use as much as possible.
That's my point. I'd rather keep Pemsl in longer and not play Till at all.

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0
Kinda crazy we gave Till a scholarship when he's looked like anything but a D1 basketball player this year. The Indiana game the other night was beyond frustrating watching him get bodied out of position and the ball ripped out of his hands on multiple occasions.

If memory serves me right though, he actually came off the bench in a couple of our early tournament games last year and made some solid plays. Either the UConn or Oregon game maybe? I'm in agreement with others though, should prob keep him on the bench and let Pemsl try and carve out a role and gain some more confidence out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT