ADVERTISEMENT

Smoker recommendations

CJ Beat Hard

HB Heisman
Dec 15, 2016
well the smoker crapped out on me today as I was trying to smoke a chicken. Now in the market for a new one. What does everyone have and recommend? I’m not looking to spend a fortune and only use it to smoke, not as a grill as well. I had a masterbuilt but am open to all angles. I prefer electric so I can do all night smokes without needed to tend to it all night.

3308b2fbf8d36f17a21eb72e90a1bb9d.jpg

An electric smoker is fine. The snobs on here will tell you it’s not real bbq but not a single one of them can tell the difference between one done on a 250 Bradley and a 1200 BGE. The only, and I mean only downside to an electric smoker is that you’ll have issues using one on a colder day, especially if you get a cheap one. I got rid of mine only because I wanted a combination grill and smoker.

An electric smoker is fine. The snobs on here will tell you it’s not real bbq but not a single one of them can tell the difference between one done on a 250 Bradley and a 1200 BGE. The only, and I mean only downside to an electric smoker is that you’ll have issues using one on a colder day, especially if you get a cheap one. I got rid of mine only because I wanted a combination grill and smoker.
That is simply not true. Meat on my BGE comes out way more succulent and juicy than on my Traeger. For overnight cooks, once the temp is dialed in it pretty much stays there. With that being said, it is relatively expensive. If I had to rank order secondary cooking apparatuses in the order I would hate to see them go, it would be:

1. Gas weber just for the sake of convenience either cooking or finishing something done sous vide. Primary foods cooked are chicken breast and veggies.

2. Sous vide because it does things easily which either cannot be replicated with a stove, or which would be a huge pain in the ass. Primary foods cooked are steak, pork, and chicken.

3. BGE egg for smoking, indirect cook, and pizza.

4. Traeger for versatility. Frankly, we mostly just use it for burgers and other meat I don’t want a ton of smoke on, and as an overflow oven during the holidays.

5. Weber kettle for wings and a change of pace for other grilling of steaks and such.

6. Blackstone. We just don’t use it other than for cooking large volumes of chopped meats and veggies. Smash burgers are good but we tend to either do burgers on the Traeger or gas grill. I also used it to finish meats done sous vide but I can do that on the gas grill or on the stove.

Reactions: ping72
I go with electric...can put on brisket and not have much to worry about for the next 20 hours.

That is simply not true. Meat on my BGE comes out way more succulent and juicy than on my Traeger. For overnight cooks, once the temp is dialed in it pretty much stays there. With that being said, it is relatively expensive. If I had to rank order secondary cooking apparatuses in the order I would hate to see them go, it would be:

1. Gas weber just for the sake of convenience either cooking or finishing something done sous vide. Primary foods cooked are chicken breast and veggies.

2. Sous vide because it does things easily which either cannot be replicated with a stove, or which would be a huge pain in the ass. Primary foods cooked are steak, pork, and chicken.

3. BGE egg for smoking, indirect cook, and pizza.

4. Traeger for versatility. Frankly, we mostly just use it for burgers and other meat I don’t want a ton of smoke on, and as an overflow oven during the holidays.

5. Weber kettle for wings and a change of pace for other grilling of steaks and such.

6. Blackstone. We just don’t use it other than for cooking large volumes of chopped meats and veggies. Smash burgers are good but we tend to either do burgers on the Traeger or gas grill. I also used it to finish meats done sous vide but I can do that on the gas grill or on the stove.
In my experience what you posted isn’t true. Smoke is smoke. Professional pit masters have been known to use an electric smoker. If you’re a bbq judge scoring on exact criteria maybe you can tell the difference. Most people cannot. I’d argue that a blind taste test you couldn’t tell the difference.

And for holding a temperature overnight there’s no beating an electric smoker.

In my experience what you posted isn’t true. Smoke is smoke. Professional pit masters have been known to use an electric smoker. If you’re a bbq judge scoring on exact criteria maybe you can tell the difference. Most people cannot. I’d argue that a blind taste test you couldn’t tell the difference.

I can tell the difference.

That's so lame.

Get a big-honking offset smoker or just go to the BBQ restaurant.

I don't have the time to smoke with anything other than electric....I also only smoke brisket and it works fine for my needs. I like to be able to monitor my inner temp and smoke levels on my phone while I am 75 mile away at work...and make adjustments if needed.

I have plenty of other grills for anything else I want to do.

I also prefer propane over charcoal.

I am a bad person.

The BGE has a gasket sealing in air. That is the whole point of a kamado-style ceramic cooker. The meat is absolutely moister in such a cooker, and flare ups are almost nonexistent even with direct heat,versus something without the air tightness. And I’m not hating on electric smokers, like I said I have a pellet grill which is basically the same. But there IS a difference in the food. Whether you prefer one over the other, or whether you are willing to spend X versus Y, is an individual choice.

I currently have:

1) an Oklahoma Joe offset smoker, charcoal grill, gas grill and gas burner combo

2) a Pit Boss Vertical Pellet Smoker

3) a Japanese binchotan grill for yakitori and other ultra hot preps, this one is great and I got it from Amazon (note no American metal grill can withstand the heat of real binchotan coals and this is a good cheap substitute to more expensive earthenware grills)

4) a really nice, lightweight three burner gas grill for traveling/picnicking. I can’t seem to find the exact model but I picked it up at Costco in store for next to nothing, under a hundo, and it’s almost as nice as your Average non portable gas grill.

I‘m completely, 100% happy with my current setup. It’s very flexible and I haven't spent a lot, probably about the same or even a little less than just one of those overpriced Big Green Egg setups.

The two options I use the most are the gas grill and side gas burner components of the Oklahoma Joe and the standalone pellet vertical smoker. The two options I use the least are the standard American charcoal grill and the side stick smoker box on the Oklahoma Joe. If I were to completely redo my setup, I would DEFINITELY keep the vertical pellet smoker, Japanese binchotan grill and small portable gas grill but I‘d probably swap out the 4 in 1 for just a smaller gas grill plus side burner and a separate pizza oven.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I like my Tragear. Got kids with various events on the weekends and time is precious. Work smarter, not harder.

Reactions: Hawkman98
I currently have:

1) an Oklahoma Joe offset smoker, charcoal grill, gas grill and gas burner combo

3) a Japanese binchotan grill for yakitori and other ultra hot preps, this one is great and I got it from Amazon (note no American metal grill can withstand the heat of real binchotan coals and this is a good cheap substitute to more expensive earthenware grills)

4) a really nice, lightweight three burner gas grill for traveling/picnicking. I can’t seem to find the exact model but I picked it up at Costco in store for next to nothing, under a hundo, and it’s almost as nice as your Average non portable gas grill.

I‘m completely, 100% happy with my current setup. It’s very flexible and I haven't spent a lot, probably about the same or even a little less than just one of those overpriced Big Green Egg setups.

The two options I use the most are the gas grill and side gas burner components of the Oklahoma Joe and the standalone pellet vertical smoker. The two options I use the least are the standard American charcoal grill and the side stick smoker box on the Oklahoma Joe. If I were to completely redo my setup, I would DEFINITELY keep the vertical pellet smoker, Japanese binchotan grill and small portable gas grill but I‘d probably swap out the 4 in 1 for just a smaller gas grill plus side burner and a separate pizza oven.
That reminds me, I need to buy a binchotan grill and a pizza oven.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Calling BS. I can easily tell the difference between wood, electric pellets, and electric chips.

I think anyone with halfway decent knowledge of bbq that doesn’t smoke can.

Reactions: PackerHawkeye1
I have and recommend Pit Barrel Cooker. Not electric but it does not require a lot of tending either. Can easily get 8-10 hours out of one basket of charcoal

I have a PBC, too. Great little cooker that doesn't break the bank or your back.

Calling BS. I can easily tell the difference between wood, electric pellets, and electric chips.

I think anyone with halfway decent knowledge of bbq that doesn’t smoke can.
To each his own. Perhaps this is a terminology thing. My electric smoker used an electric element to burn wood. What’s the difference between just burning the wood? Or using propane to burn the wood.

I'm kind of over the traeger. Still use it in occasion but can't help but notice all the dust and shit those pellets carry and I'm not convinced they're more than partial wood and who knows what else.
Got the bigger masterbuilt gravity smoker bc I can use real wood charcoal in it and I can still set it and mostly forget it. My briskets on the traeger were almost always on the dry side, not so on the masterbuilt. It's essentially an offset with a fan to help keep temps constant and it does a great job.

I'm kind of over the traeger. Still use it in occasion but can't help but notice all the dust and shit those pellets carry and I'm not convinced they're more than partial wood and who knows what else.
Got the bigger masterbuilt gravity smoker bc I can use real wood charcoal in it and I can still set it and mostly forget it. My briskets on the traeger were almost always on the dry side, not so on the masterbuilt. It's essentially an offset with a fan to help keep temps constant and it does a great job.
The Masterbuilt Gravity smokers are badass. You get good control over the amount of smoke you want, it burns almost as clean as a stick burner and it’s almost as easy as a pellet smoker. Only downside is the build quality isn’t great (not terrible either) and there is a flare up risk if grease accumulates in the manifold.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
I have a PBC, too. Great little cooker that doesn't break the bank or your back.
I also have a Pit barrel cooker. Does an excellent job for around $350. It is pretty much start and leave it.

I cooked a brisket Saturday and pork butt today with very little intervention. Loaded it with B&B lump and a few wood chunks and it did it's magic.

Reactions: The Tradition
I currently have:

I have a version of the vertical pellet smoker that you have. I bought mine this year and it’s a bit larger with a few more bells and whistles but I’m sure the work almost the same. It’s amazing and I’m super happy I bought it. I had an electric smoker before and this pellet smoker is much better. I had to add wood chips or pellets to my electric smoker. This pellet smoker uses the wood to heat things and takes all the work out of it. I control it all from my phone and it makes life so easy.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I have a Pit Barrel, K4L barrel cooker, Weber grill, Pit Boss Pellet … I’d go with the Pit Barrel - easy to use, no electricity, makes the best ribs… charcoal and a couple chunks of wood and you are good to go… I do love my K4L barrel … Had a Traeger and really liked it … but like my Pit Boss better (as far as pellet smoker) …

Trager here and I'm happy with it. I don't have the time to mess with a stick burner. It's simple and cooks well. I don't like a heavy smoke taste so electric is just right.

Weber Smokey Mountain is the answer.

I fired up my WSM up for the first time in a while this weekend. It's not electric but still requires very little attention. The design makes it tough to get the fire hot enough where it goes outside of the target zone for most BBQ. It just naturally wants to stay somewhere between 200 and 250 and it's very easy to maintain 225. Especially if you do the minion method or other similar methods.

When I do chicken, I cook it at a higher temp for less time so it doesn't dry out and it can be challenging to get the smoker up near 275-300 unless you go without the water pan.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
My stick burner is rusting away in my side yard.
My Camp Chef Woodwind Pro gets used every week.

I have a Traeger, but had the woodwind pro been an option several years ago I would have gone with that. The convenience and easy temp control of a pellet cooker with the extra ability to add wood chunks for a heavier smoke flavor. Currently I have to use a couple smoke tubes to add extra smoke flavor. I have a cheap offset that I need to get set up. Also have thought about adding a WSM to the arsenal.

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT