ADVERTISEMENT

Smokers, how’d you start?

fredjr82

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
Haven't had a cig since 9/17 so I'm a little over 6 months quit. Never out of the woods though. Nicotine is a crazy addiction

Started when I was 14. Small town Iowa. Friend stole a couple from his mom. They sucked but it was kind of fun. That just branched into buying packs (gas station sold to us underage) and then a full blown addiction. I wish I would have never started.

Haven't had a cig since 9/17 so I'm a little over 6 months quit. Never out of the woods though. Nicotine is a crazy addiction

Started when I was 14. Small town Iowa. Friend stole a couple from his mom. They sucked but it was kind of fun. That just branched into buying packs (gas station sold to us underage) and then a full blown addiction. I wish I would have never started.
Same. Good luck on quitting, that's my next chore. Currently down to 5 cigs a day.

Went to a really good BBQ joint in a small Texas town one day in my twenties, and tasted smoked brisket for the first time. Got to talking to people about how you go about getting that flavor, experimented around a bit, and really fell in love with it.

Went to a really good BBQ joint in a small Texas town one day in my twenties, and tasted smoked brisket for the first time. Got to talking to people about how you go about getting that flavor, experimented around a bit, and really fell in love with it.
That's what I was thinking. The only adult that I know of that smokes is my dad, man how times have changed..
When i was growing up almost every friend I had, had at least one parent that was a smoker. Now that I think about it, it's rather odd: parents that didn't smoke where generally college educated or farmers. I can't think of 1 parent growing up that was a farmer that smoked, some of the wives yes but the dad's no. Weird.
Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Reactions: artradley
I had a job washing dishes at the Steak and Ale restaurant… If you were out back smoking a cigarette, the managers would let you take a break, but if you were just standing there with no cigarette they would tell you to get the hell back to work.

Reactions: IACub
I had a job washing dishes at the Steak and Ale restaurant… If you were out back smoking a cigarette, the managers would let you take a break, but if you were just standing there with no cigarette they would tell you to get the hell back to work.

I worked at a really miserably IT sweatshop back in Houston in the early 90's, where the smokers all took multiple breaks throughout the day -- including my boss. The office building had all glass walls, with a large cafeteria in the middle. So no matter where you were you could see all the tables and chairs in the cafeteria -- which outside of lunchtime was completely empty. The only other IT person who didn't smoke was a girl with the same poor attitude about the company that I had, so one day we decided we would take multiple breaks ourselves; we'd just go sit in the cafeteria with a book or magazine. Of course, everybody in the company could see us and it caused quite a stir.

My boss and all the other VP's couldn't believe the gall that we were taking "unauthorized breaks" throughout the day, and we got called in after a couple of weeks. We pointed-out that the fact that we didn't smoke shouldn't mean we weren't entitled to the same amount of informal breaks we could take during the day. They were still pissed, but they sat down with HR and hammered out a formal break policy for everybody.

Sounds like basic training back in the day.

I bummed one or two from friends until I joined the country club where every dude smokes it seems like. Then I started buying packs.

Quitting April 28th, 2018. Should be interesting.

Why are you waiting another month and a half?

My GF (no pics) and I both smoke. She wants to quit on 4/28/18 because it is the 1 year anniversary of her dad's heart attack. She said she needs a set date to quit. I know I wont quit unless she does, so we are waiting. Her dad survived the heart attack. FYI

Chantix if you can afford it. I quit 18 months on the patch but started again the most recent time. I was lucky that insurance covered all 4 months of Chantix for me. Look into it.

I bummed one or two from friends until I joined the country club where every dude smokes it seems like. Then I started buying packs.

Quitting April 28th, 2018. Should be interesting.
How old are you? Most country club type people I know (in fact all) do not smoke. Maybe back in the 60's that was a thing at country clubs.

Reactions: goldmom
Started when I was 15. My dad and, occasionally, my mom smoked. My older sister, who was cool, also smoked, and she gave me my first one. Coughed like a bastard. Got bad as a freshman/sophomore at Iowa, but better when I moved home and finished undergrad at UNI. This process repeated for the next 15-ish years. Must have "quit" 20 times, and my wife hated it. I got to the point where I would be the only one who smoked, so I would be outside in frigid weather, by myself, smoking. Finally got sick of it a couple of years ago. I started with nicotine gum, got hooked on those, and finally said, "**** it" and quit.

The difference the last time was with me. I knew that I was quitting. It's hard to explain, but all the other times, were, more or less, bullshit.

I started with the typical gateway source- grilling. From there I dabbled in sous vide and braising and finally I couldn't resist. Then someone got me one of those little smoker pans you put on your grill. That's all it took. I was hooked. Less than a year later I had a reverse flow stick burner. Now I'm smoking three packs a day. Can't help it. I love ribs.

Last edited:
The difference the last time was with me. I knew that I was quitting. It's hard to explain, but all the other times, were, more or less, bullshit.

This is actually a very true line. You really have to want to quit for yourself and nobody else.

I started with the typical gateway source- grilling. From there I dabbled in sous vide and braising and finally I couldn't resist. Then someone got me one of those little diner pans you out on your grill. That's all it took. I was hooked. Less than a year later I had a reverse flow stick burner. Now I'm smoking three packs a day. Can't help it. I love ribs.

insert-batman-related-title-here_o_2687931.webp

My GF (no pics) and I both smoke. She wants to quit on 4/28/18 because it is the 1 year anniversary of her dad's heart attack. She said she needs a set date to quit. I know I wont quit unless she does, so we are waiting. Her dad survived the heart attack. FYI
Check out a book by Allen Carr-- the easy way to quit smoking. I got it on amazon. I think I may have read it on my kindle. Also on youtube there are some pretty hilarious videos of Ashton Kutcher and Ellen talking about how they quit by reading this book.

I tried Chantix for about 3 days before I couldn't take it anymore. That stuff does something to your brain. I felt like I was going crazy.

35. About 60% - 70% of the people I know that belong to a CC (including several different CCs) smoke. This is literally well over 100 people. Braeburn CC, Willowfork CC, Champions GC, Falcon Point CC...
Wow. Maybe it's a Texas thing.

Only ~17% of the general population smokes. It would surprise me that 70% of a country club population would smoke. Especially when they are typically more affluent than the general population. I know the many times I would golf at CC's in Wisconsin, I rarely saw people smoking. Like almost never.

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I was 16. My buddy went to a Halloween party as a 50s "greaser"complete with a pack of filterless Lucky Strikes rolled in the sleeve of his white tee. It was meant to be strictly a prop. We got hammered and smoked the whole pack.

I quit four years ago.

After sex with a girl that smoked back when I was 17. Lots of sex and smoking ensued. Just like most Red blooded males.

I haven't smoked in over 13 years, but I started in college when I could drink. I had smoked before that but it was never a habit.

Some friends "taught" me how to smoke at the Q in Iowa City my freshman year. I smoked other people's cigarettes a long time because I thought I wasn't an addict until I bought my own. I thought I'd quit after college and then after I got my first job and then after law school and after I got married. I never really tried until we talked about having kids and I knew it was time. Plus the only smokers left were me and the 100 year old looking late 40's people that I wanted to look nothing like. I quit 10/13/2007 and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I loved smoking and miss it on a very rare occasion. I know I can't have one or I'll be right back where I left on on 10/13/2007. Chantix is a life saver for me. My dreams have always been ****ed up so it didn't bother me like it bothers some. It made it so I didn't get the high from smoking that I did without it.

Started doing it when I was 16 because it was "cool". Would buy a pack from a classmate who stole one every week for me out of his dad's carton for $15. Smoked through college and for a couple years after. I probably smoked for 8 years total. I stopped when I overheard, my now wife, say she didn't think she could date a smoker (in refernce to me) when we were kinda hanging out and I really liked her. Gave them up that day, except for when I was really drunk. I've always enjoyed smoking while drunk. When we found out my wife was pregnant I said I would never have another one again, and haven't since. I had 4 or 5 friends who smoked through college, and a few years after like me, but quit when kids came along. I don't have any friends who smoke anymore.

Last edited:

Good job, buddy! Never thought I'd see the day. Once you break the "routine" it's easy to stay clean. After meals, driving, having some beers. If you can beat the times you typically need one, you're set.

Good job, buddy! Never thought I'd see the day. Once you break the "routine" it's easy to stay clean. After meals, driving, having some beers. If you can beat the times you typically need one, you're set.

Wish it were that simple. I quit for about 18 months. Then one summer day, having a beer on the deck, bum a smoke from the neighbor, and I'm right back to buying packs. It's a vicious road, but I feel good this time.

Reactions: TailgateTom
I would not say 'easy'. This stuff is designed to hook you and it is pretty potent.

I lit a cigarette. Smoked for decades then quit. Found quality cigars. A good bourbon or scotch and a fine maduro is almost as good as, well, you name it.

Baby backs were my gateway drug. Next thing you know I was smoking pork shoulders two at a time. Now I’ll do a brisket one day and chicken and ribs another - pretty much anything I can find. You know the grind.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Stole packs from my uncle with my cousins and snuck behind the house to smoke. I was probably about 14. Quit about 6 and a half years ago. Don't think about it much anymore. However, I do unfortunately feel as though I could pick up a smoke at anytime and pick up right where I left off. Best piece of advice I received when trying to quit, as it was so hard, actually came from this board. Our very own lone clone once said on this board to start to call yourself a non smoker immediately. Not trying to quit, not an ex smoker, etc.. But simply just start saying you don't smoke. Not sure why, but that really seemed to empower me and helped immensely.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Wow. Maybe it's a Texas thing.

Only ~17% of the general population smokes. It would surprise me that 70% of a country club population would smoke. Especially when they are typically more affluent than the general population. I know the many times I would golf at CC's in Wisconsin, I rarely saw people smoking. Like almost never.

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight.

I mostly hang out with the golf and gambling groups. So maybe that changes things. But in my golf/gambling group of 30 at Willowfork, we have at least 15 smokers. Some are social smokers. Some are chain smokers.

Started when I was a young teenager when friends used to steal cigarettes from parents. Would smoke only when drunk for the most part, until I'd get stressed with relationship issues, then I'd start smoking sober. Then I would give them up quite easily when the relationship stresses were gone.

Most recently I dated a neighbor and things went south a couple months back. Was up to about a pack and a half per day a few weeks back and switched to the vape. My lungs and body already feel 10x better, but I know I really need to quit the vape soon too. If I can sober up for a month I'll probably kick the nicotine quite easily.

I would not say 'easy'. This stuff is designed to hook you and it is pretty potent.
Yeah, maybe I should have said “easier”. You’ll always have the cravings, and one moment of weakness can send you spiraling back down.

Started in high school, went from just when partying to every day. Worked construction for 4 years after high school got worse. Met my wife and went back to college and back to just when partying. We both quit the day after our wedding. It’ll be 14 years in May, think it’s one of the most disgusting habits ever, right behind chewing which I used to do as well. Both quit cold turkey, of course both only did it for probably 7-8 years so a little easier. Friends hated us for it becomes they all haven’t been able to quit even though it was all the same time range for us.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
ADVERTISEMENT