ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking (meat) Comparison

Okay, so a BGE XL is $1,839 at at the BGE store.

The PBC XL is $599, and includes the hanging rack system.

And the PBC is light enough that your wife could load it in the back of your truck.

Decisions, decisions....
If you have to look at the prices, BGE isn’t for you.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
Speak for you own wife. 😋 I get it. It's completely impractical but it's my little get away and I'll spend a whole weekend cooking on it. My kids are older, my job is such that I can cook during the week while I work and sit on conference calls when I'm not traveling for work and I've never ever found the whole "you need to baby sit a smoker overnight thing". I've had maybe two cooks where temp got away. One was crappy lump that burnt fast and clogged air flow and the other was a bad storm that was crazy windy and increased the temp.

To each their own. I use the crap out of my Blackstone and my webers, just have never had a bad meal on the BGE. As you noted, I rarely order BBQ or eat BBQ other than what I cook because it just doesn't taste as good. You may eat my food and think I suck. I'm cool with that. Folks that argue cooking methods are weird. If it taste good to you, go with it. Don't tear others down for what they like.

Speak for you own wife. 😋 I get it. It's completely impractical but it's my little get away and I'll spend a whole weekend cooking on it. My kids are older, my job is such that I can cook during the week while I work and sit on conference calls when I'm not traveling for work and I've never ever found the whole "you need to baby sit a smoker overnight thing". I've had maybe two cooks where temp got away. One was crappy lump that burnt fast and clogged air flow and the other was a bad storm that was crazy windy and increased the temp.

To each their own. I use the crap out of my Blackstone and my webers, just have never had a bad meal on the BGE. As you noted, I rarely order BBQ or eat BBQ other than what I cook because it just doesn't taste as good. You may eat my food and think I suck. I'm cool with that. Folks that argue cooking methods are weird. If it taste good to you, go with it. Don't tear others down for what they like.

We're cool, bro. You can definitely turn out some fine BBQ on a BGE.

But a true offset beats all.

We're cool, bro. You can definitely turn out some fine BBQ on a BGE.

But a true offset beats all.
Not that I need another piece of equipment and I'm going to do a move, career change in two years, and sell my company so looking to downsize before that, but I am always interested in learning more. What are the advantages of an offset? Or just shoot me a link. I'm honestly just a casual cooker. Pretty much just follow nibblemethis and a few others.

Not that I need another piece of equipment and I'm going to do a move, career change in two years, and sell my company so looking to downsize before that, but I am always interested in learning more. What are the advantages of an offset? Or just shoot me a link. I'm honestly just a casual cooker. Pretty much just follow nibblemethis and a few others.

An offset smoker burns pure wood splits. No charcoal at all. You're getting a real pit taste, and it's awesome.

This guy explains it well....

You have more faith in my attention span than I do. I'll watch that later when I want hemorrhoids from addition on the toilet and watching that. But the premise makes no sense to me. I could burn wood splits in my BGE too. The meat only absorbs so much smoke and I don't want heavy smoke anyway. I want moist meat and the BGE has always delivered. Please don't make me watch that nerd, trad.

• Haha
You have more faith in my attention span than I do. I'll watch that later when I want hemorrhoids from addition on the toilet and watching that. But the premise makes no sense to me. I could burn wood splits in my BGE too. The meat only absorbs so much smoke and I don't want heavy smoke anyway. I want moist meat and the BGE has always delivered. Please don't make me watch that nerd, trad.

Okay, watch this guy...

Pay attention to the parts about the wood....

Reader's Digest Condensed Version: Real wood.... there ain't no other way.
Um, I'm putting real wood and lump coal in my BGE. You're just being difficult. Like I said before, those that argue about cooking methods are miserable. To each their own.

And I'm sorry your cigarette budget didn't allow you to afford a BGE on the single wide mAnor deck.

• Haha
Um, I'm putting real wood and lump coal in my BGE. You're just being difficult. Like I said before, those that argue about cooking methods are miserable. To each their own.

And I'm sorry your cigarette budget didn't allow you to afford a BGE on the single wide mAnor deck.

Lump isn't "real wood"... I've found all kinds of questionable crap in bags of lump. Pieces of pallets.... rocks.... nails....

But you're not going to find any of that crap in a stick of hickory wood.

Lump isn't "real wood"... I've found all kinds of questionable crap in bags of lump. Pieces of pallets.... rocks.... nails....

But you're not going to find any of that crap in a stick of hickory wood.
Reread my post genius

You've sucked me into going against my original premise that people who argue against one cooking type over the other are morons. Congrats, you win.

An offset smoker burns pure wood splits. No charcoal at all. You're getting a real pit taste, and it's awesome.

This guy explains it well....

I love Jeremy. His videos are why I want to dump 3 grand into an off set. I have appreciated his more recent videos on pellet cookers and his reviews of different pellets. I'm basic and tend to stick with hickory, but I think I'm going oak/pecan for my next cook.

You've sucked me into going against my original premise that people who argue against one cooking type over the other are morons. Congrats, you win.
You should know that for all he talks about stick burners - he doesn’t use his anymore. He just likes to be a pedantic ass.

You should know that for all he talks about stick burners - he doesn’t use his anymore. He just likes to be a pedantic ass.

My old one rusted out and I've been holding out for the Franklin Pit, but I'm not sure if those will ever actually be offered for sale...

ADVERTISEMENT