ADVERTISEMENT

Snyder vs. Carl?

Eph97

Scout Team
Feb 4, 2009
In an interview with Tom Ryan after the NCAA's, a reporter brought up Carl and asked Ryan to compare the two. Ryan said Snyder was the "greatest of all time".

I'm paraphrasing a bit here:

Ryan: "Cael Sanderson, ridiculous. Never lost, but he also never made a world team until he was out of college. This (Snyder) is a guy who was doing double duty, winning world championships and national (NCAA) championships."

Reporter: " So he (Snyder) is the GOAT?"

Ryan: "At this point in his career, yes".

I'd have to disagree with Ryan. Strictly on COLLEGE accomplishments I'd say Carl going undefeated and being 4x champ trump's Snyder's achievements. However, greatest wrestler means FREESTYLE wrestler. NCAA achievements are irrelevant to the rest of the world. It's all about World's and Olympics. Snyder already has 2 World titles and 1 Olympic gold. Carl has zero world titles and his freestyle career basically fizzled out by the time he as 24. As for his Olympic gold in 2004, I remember watching him thinking he was damn lucky he didn't have to face Sazhidov, who had already defeated him in the 2003 World's.

Of course, the PSU fans have their panties in a bunch, as they always do anytime anyone remotely challenges the supremacy of their golden calf Carl, who they worship with unquestioned devotion, though he is an ISU alum.

So, P4P who is/was the better wrestler in your opinion? Snyder or Carl? I saw Carl wrestle many times and Snyder in my opinion outclasses him on a technical basis. Snyder also beat Sadulaev (coincidentally, coached by Sazhidov) who was thought to be unbeatable and up to that point hadn't lost a match in 4 years.

I think Bael gets way too much mileage out of the "undefeated" thing. That's as much a matter of circumstance as anything else. He might not be a 4-timer if he gets a top-notch guy in the finals his freshman/sophomore year. Bael's true value was that he continued to get better every year.

You honestly could make a case for Snyder, especially since he's basically wrestling up a weight class and beat a VERY tough Nick Gwiazdowski his sophomore year.

Yeah Gwiz is damn tough. He reps the US at 125kg and won bronze at World's later on. Snyder beating him would be like Machiavello taking on Snyder and winning. Forgot to mention in my op, greatest college wrestler of all time to me is still Gable, loss or not. That's not homer talk, as I'm not an Iowa fan but that's who I looked up to growing up in the 80's.

Reactions: Dagboi
Ya, It is tough to trump Gable and Cael as the greatest wrestlers ever. Cael undefeated in college and olympic champ. Gable unscored upon and Olympic champ.

Snyder has impressive freestyle accomplishments; Jordan Burrough's freestyle accomplishments put him in very elite company.

Reactions: Dagboi
Ryan: "Cael Sanderson, ridiculous. Never lost, but he also never made a world team until he was out of college. This (Snyder) is a guy who was doing double duty, winning world championships and national (NCAA) championships."

Actually, Cael DID make a world team while in college (senior year). He made the 2001 team that was supposed to compete in late September, but the 9/11 attack pushed the event back to around Thanksgiving. So, he chose not to compete in the world team event and put his focus on the college season instead.

I think Bael gets way too much mileage out of the "undefeated" thing. That's as much a matter of circumstance as anything else. He might not be a 4-timer if he gets a top-notch guy in the finals his freshman/sophomore year. Bael's true value was that he continued to get better every year.

You honestly could make a case for Snyder, especially since he's basically wrestling up a weight class and beat a VERY tough Nick Gwiazdowski his sophomore year.

As well as a VERY tough Coon just this year.

As well as a VERY tough Coon just this year.
Not to mention Coon is 75lbs heavier. Lol
Be like Meredith wrestling Snyder or
Zain wrestling Snyder.
That’s what Snyder has accomplished.
Let’s see Cael go unbeaten wrestling people 75 lbs heavier. Lol

Snyder was giving up weight in College, & was still scary good. Wouldn’t have been an impressive of a feat if there were a 225 weight class.

Actually, Cael DID make a world team while in college (senior year). He made the 2001 team that was supposed to compete in late September, but the 9/11 attack pushed the event back to around Thanksgiving. So, he chose not to compete in the world team event and put his focus on the college season instead.

Which is not what Snyder did, Snyder did both & was successful at both.

Which is not what Snyder did, Snyder did both & was successful at both.

I'm not disputing anything Snyder did. I'm disputing Ryan's comment (paraphrased or not) that Sanderson never made a world team in college. He did.

Not to mention Coon is 75lbs heavier. Lol
Be like Meredith wrestling Snyder or
Zain wrestling Snyder.
That’s what Snyder has accomplished.
Let’s see Cael go unbeaten wrestling people 75 lbs heavier. Lol
57 lbs, not 75 lbs. Impressive either way. Anyway.......

Dan Gable pinned something like 60 of the last 65 guys he faced in College. Something crazy like that. 6 time Midlands Champ and 5 time OW at Midlands. In his run to the Olympic Title in 1972, he apparently had 21 qualification and Olympic matches......... The results from those 21 matches? 12 Falls, and 130-1 in the other 9. Yikes!

Dan Gable is the GOAT in my opinion. Certainly in my lifetime. He dominated during his tenure like no other, as a middle weight no less. His career wasn't long, but it was Dominant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT