ADVERTISEMENT

So all it will take is one positive test (from anyone) on the team for our NCAA tourney to be over?

vacuum_cleaner

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
I don't understand what the rules are, but seems like if anyone on the team tests positive at any time during the tourney, that team is eliminated. Is that correct? Seems like that's what happened to Duke, Virginia, and a couple mid majors during their conference tourneys.

What if someone on a team we play tests positive? Is it over then too? Or a coach/trainer-type person who is around the team constantly?

Also is it one test and that's it? Because there are a ton of false positives since the testing is so unreliable. So are they able to get a 2nd test to confirm?

Genuinely curious here, I don't know what the protocols are. But if it's one positive test from anyone and your tourney is over, I imagine there are going to be many, many teams eliminated that way over the course of a month.

I don't understand what the rules are, but seems like if anyone on the team tests positive at any time during the tourney, that team is eliminated. Is that correct? Seems like that's what happened to Duke, Virginia, and a couple mid majors during their conference tourneys.

What if someone on a team we play tests positive? Is it over then too? Or a coach/trainer-type person who is around the team constantly?

Also is it one test and that's it? Because there are a ton of false positives since the testing is so unreliable. So are they able to get a 2nd test to confirm?

Genuinely curious here, I don't know what the protocols are. But if it's one positive test from anyone and your tourney is over, I imagine there are going to be many, many teams eliminated that way over the course of a month.
That’s why this whole thing is ridiculous. There is no reason to cancel games because of one positive test. Pure hysteria.

Play ball!

They just came out saying that the minimum number of players a team could have and still be eligible in the NCAA Tourney is 5 players. Meaning (so I read it) that they would allow a team to remove players who have tested positive for COVID and continue to play. Now that's where contact tracing comes into play, I know. But seems to me there are ways to mitigate that. Have all team meetings via video conference. Keep full contact practice sessions to 15-minute increments a day (how much does a team like Iowa need to practice full 5 vs 5 at this point). And Maybe even break the active roster into two pods of 6 players.

That’s why this whole thing is ridiculous. There is no reason to cancel games because of one positive test. Pure hysteria.

Play ball!

Seems to be a bit of overkill. At some point (I suppose when the population is vaccinated) we can stop with the non-step testing of every athlete. How is it that high school teams could get through seasons without daily tests?

So what’s the plan NCAA? If it’s anything other than negative players can play this thing is ridiculous

Reactions: Legs94
I've seen the argument made that these conference tournaments should have been skipped because of these positive Covid cases. How exactly is a more contained hotel to practice to hotel to arena tournament environment more risky than a day in the life of any college basketball player? Any given day on a campus players may stop at multiple food places, a barber, different apartments/dorms, all being around people with unknown connections or exposures. This has to be lessened in the Indy experience.

Also if a player is testing positive in day 1 or 2 of any conference tournament then he definitely did not get exposed to Covid at the tournament site, he got exposed before. We're a year into this and there's still so much misinformation about Covid.

I've seen the argument made that these conference tournaments should have been skipped because of these positive Covid cases. How exactly is a more contained hotel to practice to hotel to arena tournament environment more risky than a day in the life of any college basketball player? Any given day on a campus players may stop at multiple food places, a barber, different apartments/dorms, all being around people with unknown connections or exposures. This has to be lessened in the Indy experience.

Also if a player is testing positive in day 1 or 2 of any conference tournament then he definitely did not get exposed to Covid at the tournament site, he got exposed before. We're a year into this and there's still so much misinformation about Covid.

Good questions all liberty. The tournament and the NCAA tournament environment are the most controlled conditions possible. And yet here we are.

So what’s the plan NCAA? If it’s anything other than negative players can play this thing is ridiculous
i think teams have to/can play as long as they have a minimum of 5 players

i am dead serious

i don't think it would ever get to that point, but who the hell knows

Six new cases of the virus in the country this week... and four of them are basketball players in a controlled environment.

Seems to be a bit of overkill. At some point (I suppose when the population is vaccinated) we can stop with the non-step testing of every athlete. How is it that high school teams could get through seasons without daily tests?
My daughter's volleyball team had four girls test positive the week after they were eliminated from the playoffs. I'm certain that was a coincidence.

Why can't the positive players just sit out? It's not like the positive player is then going into nursing homes or attending pickle ball games at the rec center.

I thank god my son's school district and the district I teach in didn't shut down when 1 student tested positive.

AggravatingOilyApe-size_restricted.gif

If impacted teams like Duke, Virginia, Kansas aren’t enough for them to pull the plug on the remaining conference tournament games and pause till NCAAs...I don’t know what is.

And the rules being dumb or information being bad...that’s not really the point, unfortunately. The point is the rules are in place now and seems like these games are tempting fate.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

I don't pay attention to wrestling(I know-heresy) But how the hell can they do a full contact sport like that where the guys are absolutely in each others shit. And not have problems with covid.

So does this mean that 2 years in a row.... Some teams seasons are over due to Covid? Last year is understandable, but I feel terrible for ANY team that misses the tourney due to Covid this year.

Rules need to be adjusted based on what we know about the virus and HEALTHY 20 year old athletes.
I wouldn't feel bad if it was Wisconsin. It would protect other teams from getting their nuts racked.

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
If impacted teams like Duke, Virginia, Kansas aren’t enough for them to pull the plug on the remaining conference tournament games and pause till NCAAs...I don’t know what is.

And the rules being dumb or information being bad...that’s not really the point, unfortunately. The point is the rules are in place now and seems like these games are tempting fate.

Good point. What threshold does the NCAA have for postponing the tourney? They need to have a plan for that, although it would be a pretty high threshold...

What if there's an outbreak at a handful of confidence tourneys.... Suddenly you have 50% of the projected 1-5 seeds out for Covid protocol. You can't possibly have a legit tourney missing a bunch of contenders.

Just hope the Hawks stay healthy for a few more weeks! Mens and women's basketball... And Wrestling!

So does this mean that 2 years in a row.... Some teams seasons are over due to Covid? Last year is understandable, but I feel terrible for ANY team that misses the tourney due to Covid this year.

Rules need to be adjusted based on what we know about the virus and HEALTHY 20 year old athletes.

This is the ultimate conversation. As long as an entire team can be pole-axed for one positive test, it will always be there hanging over teams, even in future years.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
I wonder what other transmittable diseases the average college student (no not those diseases) would test positive for if there was mass testing. A walk on tests positive for the virus and the entire team has to back out of the conference/NCAA tournament? Make him stay in his hotel room and play ball

What *are* these rules though?

During the regular season, we had teams pausing for 2 weeks for a positive test on the team.

We also had teams pausing because they played against a team with a player who tested positive.

Now we have teams pausing for a week bc a player on the team tested positive.

Someone mentioned a positive player getting 7 straight negative tests and the team can resume...huh? Since when is that the rule?

Now the NCAA mentions teams must have a minimum of 5 players to play a game...so is it just positive players who have to sit out now?

Seriously, is there anyone at all who knows what the official NCAA rule is for the tourney?

Why can't the positive players just sit out? It's not like the positive player is then going into nursing homes or attending pickle ball games at the rec center.

I thank god my son's school district and the district I teach in didn't shut down when 1 student tested positive.
i thought that was the plan where players who tested negative for 7 straight days could go to Indy

Freaking ridiculous. Lol

What *are* these rules though?

During the regular season, we had teams pausing for 2 weeks for a positive test on the team.

We also had teams pausing because they played against a team with a player who tested positive.

Now we have teams pausing for a week bc a player on the team tested positive.

Someone mentioned a positive player getting 7 straight negative tests and the team can resume...huh? Since when is that the rule?

Now the NCAA mentions teams must have a minimum of 5 players to play a game...so is it just positive players who have to sit out now?

Seriously, is there anyone at all who knows what the official NCAA rule is for the tourney?

I was told there would be no tough follow up questions.

Despite political differences it would be heartbreaking if an Iowa player had a false positive test and that was the end of the season for the Hawkeyes

That’s a good call out. All these HS games are being played with no tests.. what’s the difference??

I wonder what other transmittable diseases the average college student (no not those diseases) would test positive for if there was mass testing. A walk on tests positive for the virus and the entire team has to back out of the conference/NCAA tournament? Make him stay in his hotel room and play ball

I've been in medical device and equipment sales for years. As such, I read a lot of clinical research, white papers, abstracts, study summaries...you name it.

There was a survey done in the 90s on B1G campi. 25% of students had some form of STD.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I've been in medical device and equipment sales for years. As such, I read a lot of clinical research, white papers, abstracts, study summaries...you name it.

There was a survey done in the 90s on B1G campi. 25% of students had some form of STD.
Sheesh. Good thing we had Northwestern in the conference to keep that number down

ADVERTISEMENT