ADVERTISEMENT

So Arkansas and both Dakotas are voting on legalized rec weed

What’s the argument against legalizing weed? Serious question, if you’re anti legalization of weed, are you also for prohibition of alcohol?

Is it a moral argument? Safety?
Nancy Regan and my parents told us the Devil Weed is a gateway drug. Take a few tokes and next thing you know, you are shooting heroin and snorting coke and staying in a flop house. A couple stiff cocktails after work never hurt anybody.

Nancy Regan and my parents told us the Devil Weed is a gateway drug. Take a few tokes and next thing you know, you are shooting heroin and snorting coke and staying in a flop house. A couple stiff cocktails after work never hurt anybody.
One small nit to pick, if you're already shooting heroin you're also probably shooting the coke and no longer snorting it.

Reactions: Moral and EasyHawk
What’s the argument against legalizing weed? Serious question, if you’re anti legalization of weed, are you also for prohibition of alcohol?

In ND it’s law enforcement agencies running ads to vote no. They’re claiming an increase in crime in states where it’s passed.

One of the articles I found from a couple of years back.

When the roughly one-third of Americans opposing legalization were asked about the most important reasons for keeping legal marijuana out of circulation, driver safety was the chief reason. 79% said that an increase in the number of accidents involving drivers using marijuana is a major reason for their opposition. Those opposed also fear a general increase in drug usage with "leading people to use stronger and more addictive drugs" and legal marijuana "encouraging more people to use it" cited as very important reasons for opposition by 69% and 62% of opponents respectively.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallm...ation-in-the-u-s-infographic/?sh=6c218136678b

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I think South Dakota already passed it once but the governor vetoed it.
SD voters approved a constitutional amendment to legalize recreational weed and industrial hemp in 2018. A medical marijuana intiative passed as well.

Noem opposed it and recruited a law enforcement agency to challenge it on a a legal techinicality asserting that the marijuana and hemp provisions should have been separately balloted. SD's conservative Supreme Court agreed and struck down the amendment.

Recreational weed is back on the ballot as an initiative and, predicatably, the evil weed politicians and religious zealots are out in force.

SD voters approved a constitutional amendment to legalize recreational weed and industrial hemp in 2018. A medical marijuana intiative passed as well.

Noem opposed it and recruited a law enforcement agency to challenge it on a a legal techinicality asserting that the marijuana and hemp provisions should have been separately balloted. SD's conservative Supreme Court agreed and struck down the amendment.

Recreational weed is back on the ballot as an initiative and, predicatably, the evil weed politicians and religious zealots are out in force.
Noem doesn't like the optics as she prepares to run for president. Another GOP governor ignoring the electorate to placate the primary voters of 2024.

Reactions: wausauhawk
I'm pretty sure it will pass in South Dakota again. Last time I don't think the vote was close and I have heard nothing about opposition this time around. Most everyone I know that supports Noem agrees that she should have stayed out of it and that the will of the people was pretty clear last time around.

Reactions: RCHAWKS1
Noem doesn't like the optics as she prepares to run for president. Another GOP governor ignoring the electorate to placate the primary voters of 2024.
It seems like a lot of SD Republicans are fed up with Noem's grandstanding and public preening for Trump. She also privately tried to force a state licensing board to give special treatment to her daughter and that didn't sit well. She will win re-elecion but it will be a lot closer than it should be for a Republican dominated state.

ADVERTISEMENT