ADVERTISEMENT

So Davis was picked over Keegan Unanimously?!?

He wasn't even voted to the First Team unanimously. Some clown left him off. But I really thought there would be a close vote for POY. Maybe I've been spoofed!

Wonder if the fact that Luca won it the last 2 years had anything to do with it?
I mean c’mon, can hillbilly Iowa really produce the best player in the league 3 years in a row and also the best woman’s player not only this year but for the next couple.
Who do we think we are wis, ind, ill, M or osu🤪

Wonder if the fact that Luca won it the last 2 years had anything to do with it?
I mean c’mon, can hillbilly Iowa really produce the best player in the league 3 years in a row and also the best woman’s player not only this year but for the next couple.
If Kris improves like Keegan did this year, an Iowa player will have a chance to win it again.

If Iowa would have finished in the top 2 or 3, I think Keegan probably wins it. Too many times these awards are based on who is on the best team.
I think it's pretty clear that it's a combination of the best player on a team with a high enough finish to even warrant consideration. Then it's a sorting process of those players individual performance with the team's overall performance. I had already stated in another thread that I thought Kofi would get it, but Davis would be 2nd largely on the added strength of wisky's team finish.

How does wisky perform this season without Davis vs how does Iowa perform without Keegan? There's no easy answer for that, but I'd say that at least for Iowa's finish without Keegan I'd at least reverse their league record. Most likely I'd peg them for 5-6 league wins if they hadn't had him.

I think it's pretty clear that it's a combination of the best player on a team with a high enough finish to even warrant consideration. Then it's a sorting process of those players individual performance with the team's overall performance. I had already stated in another thread that I thought Kofi would get it, but Davis would be 2nd largely on the added strength of wisky's team finish.

How does wisky perform this season without Davis vs how does Iowa perform without Keegan? There's no easy answer for that, but I'd say that at least for Iowa's finish without Keegan I'd at least reverse their league record. Most likely I'd peg them for 5-6 league wins if they hadn't had him.
The same thing happened with Andre Woolridge in 97. He had the better stats but Minnesota won the league and Bobby Jackson, I think, wins player of the year. Where the team finishes has a huge impact on who wins.

The same thing happened with Andre Woolridge in 97. He had the better stats but Minnesota won the league and Bobby Jackson, I think, wins player of the year. Where the team finishes has a huge impact on who wins.
Andre lost because the mn coach went to bat for Jackson and Davis did nothing to promote Dre. That coming directly from the MN coach.

No. It says he was picked consensus player of the year. Read it again.
WOWSER...That is CRAZY. The Headline on that link really did say "Unanimous", when I looked at it a half hour ago. But, now it says Consensus. Someone must have fixed the error.

Reactions: ichawk24
Iowans aren't hillbillies. They're rubes. Get it right! 😀

Reactions: FWIW4922463
I think the announcers last game said both keegan and davis improved about 17 ppg this season. Huge improvement for both.

If it is true Davis had to sell everyone about Woolridge in order to win, to me, that is a problem with the conference.
problem with Davis when he wouldn’t advocate for his own player to win an award that was vastly deserved.

Stats don't lie. If the other coaches in the conference are not able to see that, that i son them.
LOL. you really do live in a naive world. why do you see advertising, political speeches, coaches stumping for their teams to make the play offs or bowl games. bottom line…a coach should be all about advertising for his player. Davis was not and did not.

There is no chance I trade Keagan for Davis. NONE. That's ridiculous. I think the NBA scouts will tell us who is really the better player. Let the draft begin!!!!!

Player of the Year, can mean the Most Outstanding Player or the Most Valuable Player - it's up to the voters.

I thought Davis would win, and for once I was right (surprisingly).

LOL. you really do live in a naive world. why do you see advertising, political speeches, coaches stumping for their teams to make the play offs or bowl games. bottom line…a coach should be all about advertising for his player. Davis was not and did not.
I am not naive. I have coached for a long time. I advocate for my players all the time. If coaches in the conference are not able to recognize the season a player has without his or her coach politicking, that is a problem. There are coaches that will not vote for another person's player no matter how great of a season, because they have "issues" with that player's coach.

Surprised that even close to unanimous, but Davis had a great year and impacted a lot of wins for Wisky. Maybe this will give Keegan some incentive to come back and win a B1G championship with Kris next year. ;)

Generally, I agree with most of the selections, especially the 5 on the first team. I am not as positive on the 2nd and 3rd teams. If there is one player who I believe should gotten some post-season recognition, it is Tyler Wahl. Basic stats don't tell how much he impacted Wisky's success.

Surprised that even close to unanimous, but Davis had a great year and impacted a lot of wins for Wisky. Maybe this will give Keegan some incentive to come back and win a B1G championship with Kris next year. ;)

Generally, I agree with most of the selections, especially the 5 on the first team. I am not as positive on the 2nd and 3rd teams. If there is one player who I believe should gotten some post-season recognition, it is Tyler Wahl. Basic stats don't tell how much he impacted Wisky's success.
Wahl is interesting. Really like him as a player, and wouldn't be surprised if he has really big senior season next year.

He averaged 11.6 points a game and 5.8 rebounds. And the advanced metrics don't like him so much either, or at least he probably was right where he should have been. 20th in Player Efficiency Ratings, not in top 20 in Win Shares and Win Shares per 40 minutes. He was 9th in Defensive Win Shares (Keegan was 4th). Thing that drug him down was 6-36 from the 3-point line. Hard to be among the best players in the league if you can't shoot, unless you are unique like Coburn.

Reactions: Carlton
Wahl is interesting. Really like him as a player, and wouldn't be surprised if he has really big senior season next year.

He averaged 11.6 points a game and 5.8 rebounds. And the advanced metrics don't like him so much either, or at least he probably was right where he should have been. 20th in Player Efficiency Ratings, not in top 20 in Win Shares and Win Shares per 40 minutes. He was 9th in Defensive Win Shares (Keegan was 4th). Thing that drug him down was 6-36 from the 3-point line. Hard to be among the best players in the league if you can't shoot, unless you are unique like Coburn.
I don't usually look at metrics. I just watch the games, and I saw at least parts of quite a few Wisky games. Wahl does all of the little things you need to win on both ends. He definitely is not a great shooter or a great athlete, but it is remarkable how many balls he gets his hands on and how he is able to score around the basket in traffic. No way he is 6-9, as listed. I am NOT basing my opinion on being a Wisky fan.

There is no chance I trade Keagan for Davis. NONE. That's ridiculous. I think the NBA scouts will tell us who is really the better player. Let the draft begin!!!!!
Yeah and Ayo was clearly the better basketball player than Garza looking at NBA results but that doesn't mean Garza wasnt best big ten player. Too bad fran shit the bed in the portal or this team could have contended for the bten and Keegan probably gets POY. Oh well

Reactions: Hammer93
That example is always at the top of the list for me.

I thought it was a terrible decision at the time and it looks worse in retrospect. Woolridge led the league in assists and scoring. There was no team in the top half of the league that counted on one guy more for their outcomes than Iowa did with Woolridge. Jackson had a far better supporting cast.

That Iowa having the POY 3 years in a row is even a possibility is pretty amazing, but frustrating at the same time knowing it produced zero conference championships.

Reactions: BBptg5
I don't usually look at metrics. I just watch the games, and I saw at least parts of quite a few Wisky games. Wahl does all of the little things you need to win on both ends. He definitely is not a great shooter or a great athlete, but it is remarkable how many balls he gets his hands on and how he is able to score around the basket in traffic. No way he is 6-9, as listed. I am NOT basing my opinion on being a Wisky fan.
I don't dispute that. He is a good player. Has really come along. You are correct, he does the things that help you win games. On the pure numbers side, he's a guy who it wouldn't surprise me if he had a big jump up in scoring next year. If the jump shot comes around, he will be dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT