ADVERTISEMENT

So did Spencer get better because of the Oline?

WR play? Poorer competition?….or as I suspect all 3, plus getting sent to the bench!

For what it’s worth, I’m tired of talking to the usual suspects. We all know the competition is poorer, Spencer still isn’t an all American, and the Ferentz’ suck.

So with that out of the way…for two weeks now I’ve had it in my head that once he got benched. He pretty much lost all the pressure he had put on himself. He has been remarkably better since then….

I find myself thinking if he’d been benched four or five games earlier who knows…

And no I’m not bitching about the coaches, because you can consider me in the camp that I am super glad Padilla hasn’t been put back out on the field…

Since the fateful benching he has only thrown five or six Poor passes & by Poor, I mean they shouldn’t have been thrown. They were into triple coverage or hotly contested. But he hasn’t thrown any worm burners and he hasn’t grossly sailed something over peoples heads…

Thats 53 passes in two games and there hasn’t been one that I saw and went WTF?!

Looking back he would throw six or seven passes a game that had literally no chance to be caught and I’m not talking throw aways…Then wide receivers would drop five or six balls a game… Then the offensive line would flat whiff or go the wrong damn direction… Since all those other things have been semi-straightened out he has thrown some very very very good passes !

He even threw a scramble throwaway that looked a hell of a lot more “coordinated“ than they have in the past.

Much, much better…his feet, body language, release, eyes down field, look offs, progressions….all better.

I personally think the kid has major major anxiety issues, some thing I know a little bit about. Now he figures it is what it is, either I go out and relax and just play or I sit on the bench…and oh by the way the kid behind me isn’t any good either so it just as well be me….!

Thoughts….?
How about a little credit for Brian! it's not popular here to give that guy any credit but he deserves some. Watch, he will be a much better HC here than OC.

WR play? Poorer competition?….or as I suspect all 3, plus getting sent to the bench!

For what it’s worth, I’m tired of talking to the usual suspects. We all know the competition is poorer, Spencer still isn’t an all American, and the Ferentz’ suck.

So with that out of the way…for two weeks now I’ve had it in my head that once he got benched. He pretty much lost all the pressure he had put on himself. He has been remarkably better since then….

I find myself thinking if he’d been benched four or five games earlier who knows…

And no I’m not bitching about the coaches, because you can consider me in the camp that I am super glad Padilla hasn’t been put back out on the field…

Since the fateful benching he has only thrown five or six Poor passes & by Poor, I mean they shouldn’t have been thrown. They were into triple coverage or hotly contested. But he hasn’t thrown any worm burners and he hasn’t grossly sailed something over peoples heads…

Thats 53 passes in two games and there hasn’t been one that I saw and went WTF?!

Looking back he would throw six or seven passes a game that had literally no chance to be caught and I’m not talking throw aways…Then wide receivers would drop five or six balls a game… Then the offensive line would flat whiff or go the wrong damn direction… Since all those other things have been semi-straightened out he has thrown some very very very good passes !

He even threw a scramble throwaway that looked a hell of a lot more “coordinated“ than they have in the past.

Much, much better…his feet, body language, release, eyes down field, look offs, progressions….all better.

I personally think the kid has major major anxiety issues, some thing I know a little bit about. Now he figures it is what it is, either I go out and relax and just play or I sit on the bench…and oh by the way the kid behind me isn’t any good either so it just as well be me….!

Thoughts….?
Play calling has been better as well. They are moving the pocket with Spencer which is giving him more time/space to find receivers.

Last edited:
Just answer this, which is more likely. Brian goes on to be a good/great OL coach in the NFL. Or he rebounds "learns from his mistakes" and becomes one of the greatest head coaches of all time (well unless you realize that he's just ok without Brady). Also, is Spencer the next Warner, or will he be the next Brady and get drafted in the late rounds?
Holy false dichotomy batman. Perhaps you're not aware, but level of performance is a spectrum...It's not bad or legendary....there's lot's of room in between. Is it possible that a BF led offense, at Iowa, could fall into the top half of D1 on a recurring basis? Is it "he has to be one of the greatest head coaches of all time" or bust? The same applies the Petras.

I'm not supporting keeping to dumping either, just pointing out that you're creating an impossibly high bar that makes no sense.

Holy false dichotomy batman. Perhaps you're not aware, but level of performance is a spectrum...It's not bad or legendary....there's lot's of room in between. Is it possible that a BF led offense, at Iowa, could fall into the top half of D1 on a recurring basis? Is it "he has to be one of the greatest head coaches of all time" or bust? The same applies the Petras.

I'm not supporting keeping to dumping either, just pointing out that you're creating an impossibly high bar that makes no sense.
Read the thread.

Total defense (yards allowed) ranking in the B1G

Illinois #2
Michigan #3
Rutgers #4
Minny #5
OSU #6

NW #7
Wisky #8
Purdue #9
Neb #10

Iowa played the best defenses in the B1G early.

I don't think SP got better. He simply is playing against teams now that don't overwhelm the offense.

Spencer Petras had over 200 passing... over 60% completions
against arguably the 2nd best Defense in the Big Ten.
clearly Spencer Petras is getting better... that's typical for everybody.

but not only is Spencer Petras getting better... his progression is accelerating.
with improved O-Line ... this offense, as a whole, is accelerating its progress.

and at just the right time.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
I doubt if Spencer would want another year of fan abuse. Finding a “better” QB in the portal would be attractive, but if the well is dry and he wants to come back I’m comfortable in the he’s the best of our group as things stand.

You can’t go to QB lot and chose the one you want. I remember when fans wanted anyone but Stanley who we’d have loved to had the last two years. Be careful of what you wish for.

I doubt if Spencer would want another year of fan abuse. Finding a “better” QB in the portal would be attractive, but if the well is dry and he wants to come back I’m comfortable in the he’s the best of our group as things stand.

You can’t go to QB lot and chose the one you want. I remember when fans wanted anyone but Stanley who we’d have loved to had the last two years. Be careful of what you wish for.
That’s why you bring in multiple receivers and quarterbacks like Nebraska did in the portal. Got torched by two of them today.

ADVERTISEMENT