ADVERTISEMENT

So, does Spencer Lee go this year?

NittanyChris

Team MVP
Dec 3, 2001
Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere on here, but I'm curious to hear Hawks fans thoughts on whether he goes or shirts.

From a pure wrestling fan's perspective, I would love to see him wrestle ASAP.

What does everyone think?

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere on here, but I'm curious to hear Hawks fans thoughts on whether he goes or shirts.

From a pure wrestling fan's perspective, I would love to see him wrestle ASAP.

What does everyone think?

Discussed in about 5 threads on the front page right now. Don't think we need a new thread for it.

Well in all fairness what the heck does it matter to a Penn State fan don't need them to give us or tell us what to do just saying............

Reactions: Notsure75
Not trying to suggest whether he should or should not go, just wanted to get your thoughts on the likelihood that he will.

A Penn State fan all the way, but also a wrestling fan and I'd love to see him jump into the fray against NATO, Suriano and others. Health permitting, of course.

I originally was against him wrestling this year, even before he was injured, because our shot at a title is slim this year but in 4 or 5 years it may be much better, so save him for later. Then when the injury happened I was more solid than ever on keeping him in RS this season.

Like all good politicians, however, I have had a change of heart. If the knee is good and the kid wants to go, I think we should put him out there. Save the shirt for later. Looking back on McD, had he gone as a true Freshman, maybe he doesn't win a title that first year, but I would gladly swap that result (whatever it might have been) with his last years result which was painful and not indicative of what he can really do.

Healthy all season, I think SL has a shot to make the finals - this year. How big a shot? Hopefully we find out soon.

Last edited:
I think the True Believers (including yours truly) want him to go this year, saving the redshirt in case he needs it for any other possible medical issue down the line. I also don't think we can afford to let up on the gas this year, with an eye toward our future recruits. We need to finish as high as possible this year and every year, before they lose all living memory of the Hawks as an indomitable powerhouse.

Some say "won't it be better to have him in 2022?", but I think that discounts the importance that Spencer will have now in driving the team and driving our style to return to BOOM BOOM BOOM. I think we need BOOM BOOM BOOM up and down the roster right now and for the next four years, so that we can have Spencer's replacement at 125 waiting in the wings like a Savage Panther in 2022. To me, the payoff in better recruits that will come from having him in the lineup 365 days earlier makes the 2022-vs.-2018 season tradeoff more than worth the gamble.

As for the knee? He's Iron Man.

As for the title? If Lee's in the lineup, we're contending.

FREE THE LEE, FEED THE STICK

I think the True Believers (including yours truly) want him to go this year, saving the redshirt in case he needs it for any other possible medical issue down the line. I also don't think we can afford to let up on the gas this year, with an eye toward our future recruits. We need to finish as high as possible this year and every year, before they lose all living memory of the Hawks as an indomitable powerhouse.

Some say "won't it be better to have him in 2022?", but I think that discounts the importance that Spencer will have now in driving the team and driving our style to return to BOOM BOOM BOOM. I think we need BOOM BOOM BOOM up and down the roster right now and for the next four years, so that we can have Spencer's replacement at 125 waiting in the wings like a Savage Panther in 2022. To me, the payoff in better recruits that will come from having him in the lineup 365 days earlier makes the 2022-vs.-2018 season tradeoff more than worth the gamble.

I agree with all of your points above and they're generally in line with how I view the situation, generate more recruiting momentum earlier to get the big payoff for elite replacements. Cullan Schriever will be a RS FR in 2022. Perfect replacement. :)

Reactions: Dagboi
I originally was against him wrestling this year, even before he was injured, because our shot at a title is slim this year but in 4 or 5 years it may be much better, so save him for later. Then when the injury happened I was more solid than ever on keeping him in RS this season.

Like all good politicians, however, I have had a change of heart. If the knee is good and the kid wants to go, I think we should put him out there. Save the shirt for later. Looking back on McD, had he gone as a true Freshman, maybe he doesn't win a title that first year, but I would gladly swap that result (whatever it might have been) with his last years result which was painful and not indicative of what he can really do.

Healthy all season, I think SL has a shot to make the finals

I'm sure if they knew he was going to be hurt his last year they would have done it that way. Of course if he is not hurt he might have been a 3 timer. The injury Lee has is the issue and no one knows what percent he is right now. It is likely not 100% and I don't think you send a true fresh out there if not 100% healthy no matter how good he is. It won't be until later in the season until we know if he is back to 100%. In the mean time we will know a lot more about Warner after this weekend. He is damn good but a year to build up more on the physical side and yikes.

I basically agree with MVP. It all depends on his progress following 2 surgeries in past year (he had a hernia repair sometime after his knee surgery,iirc).

And who among us posters really knows how close to 100% Lee is?

Purely an uninformed guess, but I'd predict RS stays on.

But I trust Spencer, his doctors and TnT will make the best decision.

Hold your horses boys, I heard an elite p4p'er from Bayside California is about to verbal. He thinks he can cut to 33 once he is away from Max's cheeseburgers and frys. He just has to convince his dad.

Huh?

Bayside CA is an incorporated town in Humboldt county.

I don’t remember a place called Max’s that made burgers in that area either.

Last edited:
Huh?

Bayside CA is an incorporated town in Humboldt county.

I don’t remember a place called Max’s that made burgers in that area either.

saved_by_the_bell.albert_clifford_ac_slater.jpg

Based on his media day interview he's not close to being ready, and I can't imagine them throwing him out there late season as a true Frosh having not wrestled in months. Not to try to finish fifth instead of eighth.

Reactions: MVPFAN

I think the real question for this thread is why does a 'Lee Believer' have an avatar of probably one of his most heartbreaking loses? o_O

Contending for what? Lee as a champ with 8 bonus gets you 28 points (assuming 0 from other guys). That moves you up the latter, and may get you a team trophy. It still doesn't get you within spitting distance of PSU and OhioSU.
I like the idea of what Spencer, as a leader, can do for future recruiting.
However, if he wrestles this year I think the possibility of a breakdown is much greater. It isn't just the knee, he will benefit from one more year of strength development and physical maturity.

Reactions: andegre
Tom in general has been of the opinion that if you build individual titles, team titles will take care of themselves. If he doesn't wrestle this year it will have nothing to do with waiting for a title run. If he does wrestle this year it will have nothing to do with improving our place as a team. If they think he can win this year he will wrestle. If they think he needs to wait to make sure the body is ready, they will wait.

TnT will not start a Freshman 125 pounder, especially one that is coming off of major knee surgery less than a year ago.

I'll be happy if stick' goes .500 and qualifies to the show, which happens to be in his home state.

Very true, but he did graduate at 19, grey shirted last year, so he will turn 21 this year, which is not a typical age for a true freshman. He does have that maturity advantage over a typical true freshman. For example, Lee as as a true freshman just turned 19.

Reactions: Dagboi and andegre
ADVERTISEMENT