ADVERTISEMENT

So, does Spencer Lee go this year?

Stickley is a "true" freshman...
Hmmm, OK. Since gray shirt do not really count. Stick' didn't have knee surgery tho'. ;)
Very true, but he did graduate at 19, grey shirted last year, so he will turn 21 this year, which is not a typical age for a true freshman. He does have that maturity advantage over a typical true freshman. For example, Lee as as a true freshman just turned 19.

Last edited:
I think the real question for this thread is why does a 'Lee Believer' have an avatar of probably one of his most heartbreaking loses? o_O

Well, since you asked...... :)

It obviously captures the moment right after Lee “lost” to DeSanto when going for his 4X state title and an undefeated HS career. Fighting on one leg, mono wore him out, he still wanted to go for it and push himself to a new height of achievement. You could even argue that the 2 was after the whistle, and I wouldn’t look at you sideways.

To me, this photo captures an inflection point for our program—the precise moment in time that our current lull of misfortune turns around. This is Lee’s Larry Owings moment—the burning seed of resentment that grew in Gable’s heart until it burst out in full bloom as he blew through the ‘72 Olympics and no one scored even a point on him. You don’t have the greatest tournament run in wrestling history without the sting of that final NCAA loss.

So Lee has a stinger in his soul now, too. That final last loss that he couldn’t quite (and no one could or should, let’s be clear) pull off. But he is savvy enough and driven enough to use it to fuel an incredible run through his NCAA career, and we’re all along for the ride. He doesn’t ever want to feel that way again.

So as terrible a moment and as bitter a defeat as it was for Spencer,and we mourn it right along with him, I think it was quite possibly the greatest thing that could have happened to the Hawks in a long while. So I celebrate it as the catalyst for our next title.

Go Hawks. FREE THE LEE.

(Copied from another thread)

Very true, but he did graduate at 19, grey shirted last year, so he will turn 21 this year, which is not a typical age for a true freshman. He does have that maturity advantage over a typical true freshman. For example, Lee as as a true freshman just turned 19.

He's on the Mark Hall plan?

It obviously captures the moment right after Lee “lost” to DeSanto when going for his 4X state title and an undefeated HS career. Fighting on one leg, mono wore him out, he still wanted to go for it and push himself to a new height of achievement. You could even argue that the 2 was after the whistle, and I wouldn’t look at you sideways.

To me, this photo captures an inflection point for our program—the precise moment in time that our current lull of misfortune turns around. This is Lee’s Larry Owings moment—the burning seed of resentment that grew in Gable’s heart until it burst out in full bloom as he blew through the ‘72 Olympics and no one scored even a point on him. You don’t have the greatest tournament run in wrestling history without the sting of that final NCAA loss.

So Lee has a stinger in his soul now, too. That final last loss that he couldn’t quite (and no one could or should, let’s be clear) pull off. But he is savvy enough and driven enough to use it to fuel an incredible run through his NCAA career, and we’re all along for the ride. He doesn’t ever want to feel that way again.

So as terrible a moment and as bitter a defeat as it was for Spencer,and we mourn it right along with him, I think it was quite possibly the greatest thing that could have happened to the Hawks in a long while. So I celebrate it as the catalyst for our next title.

Go Hawks. FREE THE LEE.

You thought we'd never ask....

JK, I like you're outlook.

Reactions: Huck and Dagboi

Go Hawks. FREE THE LEE.

I can appreciate your unique perspective on that. As a PSU fan though, don't think I'll be using DT cradled up by Bubba as my avatar ;)

I can appreciate your unique perspective on that. As a PSU fan though, don't think I'll be using DT cradled up by Bubba as my avatar ;)

I wouldn't either or Gilman getting stuck in semis but a guy never loses until his last match in high school...Gablesqe. Yea, he was injured and sick but he was close to pulling it out but horseshoes and hand grenades. Has to bugging him something fierce.

Reactions: el dub and Dagboi

To each his own. A less charitable man than myself might tell you it’s because Spencer has the heart of a champion and DT is a whiny little bitch with the heart of an AXE body spray commercial, but I would never stoop to such levels. You take your motivation where you can get it ($5 million worth of Layaway Titles), and i’ll take mine where I find it (grit, poise, and an indomitable spirit).

To each his own. A less charitable man than myself might tell you it’s because Spencer has the heart of a champion and DT is a whiny little bitch with the heart of an AXE body spray commercial, but I would never stoop to such levels. You take your motivation where you can get it ($5 million worth of Layaway Titles), and i’ll take mine where I find it (grit, poise, and an indomitable spirit).

You-you been soived!

DT had more titles in college (2 NCAA/4 BigTen) then any wrestler under Brands so you might want to think before posting in the future although something tells me that isn't going to happen.

btw, Mr. "you'll take your motivation where you can find it", you realize you are not wrestling for Iowa right, you're just some fan hanging on Spencer Lee's jock strap.

Last edited:
DT had more titles in college (2 NCAA/4 BigTen) then any wrestler under Brands so you might want to think before typing in the future although something tells me that isn't going to happen.

btw, Mr. "you'll take your motivation where you can find it", you realize you are not wrestling for Iowa right, you're just some fan hanging on Spencer Lee's jock strap.

gives the vibe of gunz long lost iowa cousin. a lot of the same posting mannerisms.

I think there is a heel turn in the future ;)

I think a lot of the Hawk fans are quietly cringing at the thought of having this guy around for 5 years supporting Lee, lol.

DT had more titles in college (2 NCAA/4 BigTen) then any wrestler under Brands so you might want to think before posting in the future although something tells me that isn't going to happen.

I didn’t say DT wasn’t a great wrestler, I said he was a douche. He’s one of the best NCAA wrestlers I’ve ever seen, to my mind. Totally dominant, almost as good as Metcalf in his prime. Still a douche. And kind of a head case, which has revealed itself in his post-college career.

We all have motivations for the things we do, my numb-nutted friend. Why would I invest time and energy into following the Hawks if I wasn’t motivated by getting some satisfaction as a fan from rooting from them? I admire their heart and discipline and never-say-die attitude, and it feels great when you see your guy succeed at what he’s striving for, especially against long odds.

I’ll take one wrestler with the character and talent of Lee over a teamful of the smug primadonnas from Preen State. That’s just me. You do you, brah.

How about DT pointing the finger at the ref after kicking the protest block after his loss to Cox? Wonder if you could get Cael tossing the chair in the same picture.

593ee01ed7851.jpeg

"But I was wrestling a one legged guy and Carl said it was going to work for me, I am the magic man, don't you know that?" Immediately followed by the stomping of feet, holding of breath and the ingestion of Midol and changing of tampon

Reactions: Dagboi
"But I was wrestling a one legged guy and Carl said it was going to work for me, I am the magic man, don't you know that?" Immediately followed by the stomping of feet, holding of breath and the ingestion of Midol and changing of tampon
I still think that knee shot was dirty as sh*t, I don’t care what anyone says. DT drove right into it wrong-angled, a couple hard steps off the mat. I don’t understand why he didn’t take more sh*t for taking out the knee of a guy he couldn’t beat on the up and up.

Lol I asked a basic question and even joked about a deflating moment for a PSU wrestler as a PSU fan and 5 people somehow took it as a shot at Iowa somehow and went on a rant about PSU wrestling.

I guess I will be "less than charitable" now and tell you that an avatar that requires a 2 paragraph explanation sucks and good luck to Iowa trying to place in the top 5 this year. :rolleyes:

Lol I asked a basic question and even joked about a deflating moment for a PSU wrestler as a PSU fan and 5 people somehow took it as a shot at Iowa somehow and went on a rant about PSU wrestling.

I guess I will be "less than charitable" now and tell you that an avatar that requires a 2 paragraph explanation sucks and good luck to Iowa trying to place in the top 5 this year. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Afw6006.....I shouldn’t have come at you so hard, you’re right.

That Farting_Tiger is kind of a prick, though. Remind me again—why is he here?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT