ADVERTISEMENT

So, how is the clean up from Ian going?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Anecdotal, but a gal at the gym just spent 2 weeks split between Arcadia and Fort Myers Beach. Her mom's place had to be gutted, and she said they actually got a dumpster after a few days waiting, and filled it in a day. They called to have it removed and were told it would be several days to come get it, and the fee was $700. Seems like they would have known that before, but she said it was a shock. I don't think dumpster rates are anywhere near that in Iowa.
Her husband drove his full size pick up down to Florida, and they started using that to haul stuff onto county roads where they just dumped it. I said that seemed sketchy, but she said the roadsides are filled with stuff people are dumping.
Any stories from affected Noles or Iowans with retirement / second homes?

The county came by and collected all the yard debris on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. It took two double-trucks to get everything off our street. All of our neighbors lost trees and/or had significant clean up.

Now we have to get some sod for the dead spots by the road.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
My BIL and SIL had quite a bit of damage at their place in Port Charlotte, but they have everything cleaned up now. They send a lot of snaps of the garbage piled up roadside, it's crazy that's just what people do.

On a side note, I have a friend that has a vacation house in Fort Myers and he said a realtor called him about a week after the hurricane and asked if he would rent his place out. She had people lined up for places and his would get 20k upfront and 20k a month for a year. He said no.

My BIL and SIL had quite a bit of damage at their place in Port Charlotte, but they have everything cleaned up now. They send a lot of snaps of the garbage piled up roadside, it's crazy that's just what people do.

On a side note, I have a friend that has a vacation house in Fort Myers and he said a realtor called him about a week after the hurricane and asked if he would rent his place out. She had people lined up for places and his would get 20k upfront and 20k a month for a year. He said no.
Why did he say no to that offer? Seems like I could let my vacation place go for a year for $260k. Certainly enough money to spend an extended amount of time at a five star resort somewhere else for the vacation this year.

Reactions: funksouljon
Why did he say no to that offer? Seems like I could let my vacation place go for a year for $260k. Certainly enough money to spend an extended amount of time at a five star resort somewhere else for the vacation this year.
He doesn't need 260k and he said it's not worth it. They bought the house to use it and didn't want someone they don't know staying there for a year. He won't let friends use it if he's not there.

ADVERTISEMENT