ADVERTISEMENT

So I just got back from Disney World

fezzador

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2006
Stayed a week at the Jambo House (Animal Kingdom Lodge). The whole resort hasn’t changed much since the last time I went in 2018, but the type of park guest has.

Pre-Covid, there were costumed characters who actually interacted with guests, somewhat shorter lines and slightly cheaper food and merchandise, and good lord all those Brazilian tour groups.

Fast forward four years. Prices have gone up probably by a third, people waiting 4-5 hours for Star Wars rides now, and the Brazilians have been replaced by legions upon legions of fat, lazy Americans on scooters. Bus hopping from kingdom to kingdom was a pain because they always loaded people on scooters first (and technically they were encouraged to stow their scooters and take a seat but of course none of them actually did, so they essentially took up 3 seats instead of 1). Im 39 and a fair amount of the guests riding scooters were my age or younger. There has to be a Gary Larson type of comic out somewhere with a bunch of people on scooters wearing Mickey Mouse ears.

Either Milennials are crazy unhealthy, or they’re lazy as hell.

Were any children with you? Are you going to Disney as a f'ing adult by yourself?

200.gif

Stayed a week at the Jambo House (Animal Kingdom Lodge). The whole resort hasn’t changed much since the last time I went in 2018, but the type of park guest has.

Pre-Covid, there were costumed characters who actually interacted with guests, somewhat shorter lines and slightly cheaper food and merchandise, and good lord all those Brazilian tour groups.

Fast forward four years. Prices have gone up probably by a third, people waiting 4-5 hours for Star Wars rides now, and the Brazilians have been replaced by legions upon legions of fat, lazy Americans on scooters. Bus hopping from kingdom to kingdom was a pain because they always loaded people on scooters first (and technically they were encouraged to stow their scooters and take a seat but of course none of them actually did, so they essentially took up 3 seats instead of 1). Im 39 and a fair amount of the guests riding scooters were my age or younger. There has to be a Gary Larson type of comic out somewhere with a bunch of people on scooters wearing Mickey Mouse ears.

If you stay at the All Star Resorts the scooters and waiting is 5 times worse. It’s awful.

• Sad
Reactions: Gaslightprime
Were any children with you? Are you going to Disney as a f'ing adult by yourself?

The wife (no pics) and I will be at Epcot on Saturday for the International Festival of the Arts. No kids. Might hit a couple of rides, but it's really about wandering around the World Showcase enjoying drinks and small plates of amazing food.

The 50th celebration is probably cool. If there weren’t fatass people in their scooters and parents pushing double and triple bob strollers through areas made 50 years ago. I have a 7 year old and we’ve been once. I do vow to go again in the next few years but I know I’ll end up dreading it.

You joke, I worked at a bank where a guy probably around 45 spent 2 months telling anybody that would listen about what he and his partner were going to do on this year's trip to Disney. I just kinda rolled with it, I guess it's a thing. I also worked with a guy that went to Disney on his honeymoon and took his inlaws and parents with, that was a serious wtf moment for me

Reactions: bojihawk44
We went about 8 years ago. Kids were 9 and 7. Visited all the parks and it was ok. I really don’t get the appeal but I don’t like crowds. I think the highlight of the trip for them was swimming at the hotel and ordering food and drinks poolside.

The 50th celebration is probably cool. If there weren’t fatass people in their scooters and parents pushing double and triple bob strollers through areas made 50 years ago. I have a 7 year old and we’ve been once. I do vow to go again in the next few years but I know I’ll end up dreading it.

What's going to suck is there is not a single smoking area ANYWHERE inside the parks. You have to actually walk out the gates to find a designated smoking area. I'll be stealing one of my wife's nicotine patches.

We went about 8 years ago. Kids were 9 and 7. Visited all the parks and it was ok. I really don’t get the appeal but I don’t like crowds. I think the highlight of the trip for them was swimming at the hotel and ordering food and drinks poolside.
15 years ago but basically the same. The kids weren’t wowed and it was overpriced then. It’s completely insane now.

Now is it beginning to make a little more sense how 800,000 have died from Covid?
People in their 30’s using scooters to get around?

Pic of Brazilians?

Heading down from Eastern Iowa with a 6 and 3 year old in a month….condo/flights free but….

Get home Wednesday and driving to Detroit for NCAA’s so I have motivation.

Bob Chapek is ruining the Disney brand. He comes from the accounting branch of the company and he runs it like he is an accountant. Which means, he doesn't care who he pisses off, he is going to squeeze every penny out of everything he can to turn a profit. Oh, and if you would just dump the contents of your bank account into the bag as you enter the park and turn around and leave, that would be great.

The Star Wars Hotel thing is turning into an umitigated disaster because it is clear there wasn't enough money put into theming and just coming up with things to do. He has managed to piss off just about every Marvel actor and Director and has caused multiple lawsuits. Now, he may not have been directly responsible for those decisions, but he set the corporate culture that led to it. The last earnings report was not good for Disney and the rumor is he could be on the hot seat. If you like Disney at all, you need to hope he gets canned ASAP because he is damaging the company right now.

The one thing Disney did better than any other theme park out there was the immersive experience and the theming of the parks themselves. They spent huge amounts of money on this and it works. Now, Disney isn't that different than a dozen other places out there. Maybe worse. They even skimped on the fireworks show.

Bob Chapek is ruining the Disney brand. He comes from the accounting branch of the company and he runs it like he is an accountant. Which means, he doesn't care who he pisses off, he is going to squeeze every penny out of everything he can to turn a profit. Oh, and if you would just dump the contents of your bank account into the bag as you enter the park and turn around and leave, that would be great.

The Star Wars Hotel thing is turning into an umitigated disaster because it is clear there wasn't enough money put into theming and just coming up with things to do. He has managed to piss off just about every Marvel actor and Director and has caused multiple lawsuits. Now, he may not have been directly responsible for those decisions, but he set the corporate culture that led to it. The last earnings report was not good for Disney and the rumor is he could be on the hot seat. If you like Disney at all, you need to hope he gets canned ASAP because he is damaging the company right now.

The one thing Disney did better than any other theme park out there was the immersive experience and the theming of the parks themselves. They spent huge amounts of money on this and it works. Now, Disney isn't that different than a dozen other places out there. Maybe worse. They even skimped on the fireworks show.

And the no smoking policy.

If this wasn't what Mrs. Tradition wanted to do for our anniversary, we'd be doing something else.

Reactions: seminoleed
@fezzador what were the lines for attractions like? Six feet apart? Masking?

I'm struggling to understand how six feet spacing doesn't result in the line going all the way to the entrance to the park.

I guess the good news is that there's a whole world out there that costs a lot less to vacation at that is real

Was there over the New Year. Was insane. No more free fast pass. Gotta buy the Genie+ at $16/person to skip the lines now. And each park has 1 attraction where the Genie+ doesn’t apply and you have to pay an additional $16/person for that ride to skip the line. After adding lightning lane for a ride have to wait another 2 hours or after the previous LL time to request another ride. It’s totally designed so you can’t hit all the rides and have to come back again and drop another $150 entry fee unless you want to spend all day in the general lines. Good luck getting Ratatouille at Epcot! Can join a queue starting at 7am and then again after you enter the park at 1pm I think.

Download the app and get acquainted with it prior to going to save time and make things smoother.

Many of the parks sold out over the Holidays and New Year so may want to buy your reservations in advance to be safe if you haven’t done so already. If a park you want is sold out add the hopper option to whatever park you get and you can hop to any other park after 2pm generally.

The wife (no pics) and I will be at Epcot on Saturday for the International Festival of the Arts. No kids. Might hit a couple of rides, but it's really about wandering around the World Showcase enjoying drinks and small plates of amazing food.

Think you'll get any new culinary ideas you can bring home?

‘MERICA! This is our future as a nation…

And the no smoking policy.

If this wasn't what Mrs. Tradition wanted to do for our anniversary, we'd be doing something else.

Wife wanted to with the kids as well. That was a big “phuk no” from me.

I guess the good news is that there's a whole world out there that costs a lot less to vacation at that is real
I agree. I prefer those vacations, but I understand why people would like Disney as well. It's just sad to see it go downhill so much. If you take away what makes Disney special, then there is no reason to go there. I can go do amusement park rides at Six Flags.

Disney is hell on earth for me, but they sure don't have any issues with attendance. I acknowledge I'm probably in the minority. Management knows what the hell they're doing, so I just own the stock.

Thankfully, my son has somewhat aged out of wanting to go back. No more boiling days spent in lines. He really really enjoyed his time there......so I can't get too down on the park. If I had to do it over again, I would.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Universal is a far more enjoyable experience, at least it use to be. Not nearly as crowded. Stay on the Universal hotels and use your hotel key as an unlimited fast pass. Hotel guests get a 1-hour early entry into the parks. The only thing I won't do is Holloween horror nights due to the lines even with a fast pass.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
ADVERTISEMENT