ADVERTISEMENT

So I went to the game last night

Jizzer

HR MVP
Oct 9, 2002
This is the 4th time I've gone to an Iowa game this year and I've got to say, who is planning out our games. Between every timeout, it's either dead silent or we do some stupid interview with some random person about something completely unrelated to Iowa bball. Why? It takes any energy built during the game away every single time. Everyone sits down and gets comfy again. Calling a timeout in Carver is the easiest thing for opposing coaches to do to put everyone to sleep again.
Why? Get somebody running the music who actually knows current music. Not 1991 R&B, not 2000 Macarena sh**. Play that sh** loud during every timeout, give us a homecourt advantage. Start the IOWA chant whenever possible. Those responsible for energizing the crowd SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On top of that, the PA guy sucks too. It's like he doesn't know what to say. Let's show the Hawkeyes some support Iowa fans. What?!! How about Let's go hawks chant, anything. Christ I'm venting.
On top of that, the students once again blew a massive wad. Show up to a game before complaining about where you damn seats should be moved. It's $5 to get in, that's one damn Truly at Joes. 6 PM game at Carver on a Thursday and 50 students show. Pathetic.

This is the 4th time I've gone to an Iowa game this year and I've got to say, who is planning out our games. Between every timeout, it's either dead silent or we do some stupid interview with some random person about something completely unrelated to Iowa bball. Why? It takes any energy built during the game away every single time. Everyone sits down and gets comfy again. Calling a timeout in Carver is the easiest thing for opposing coaches to do to put everyone to sleep again.
Why? Get somebody running the music who actually knows current music. Not 1991 R&B, not 2000 Macarena sh**. Play that sh** loud during every timeout, give us a homecourt advantage. Start the IOWA chant whenever possible. Those responsible for energizing the crowd SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On top of that, the PA guy sucks too. It's like he doesn't know what to say. Let's show the Hawkeyes some support Iowa fans. What?!! How about Let's go hawks chant, anything. Christ I'm venting.
On top of that, the students once again blew a massive wad. Show up to a game before complaining about where you damn seats should be moved. It's $5 to get in, that's one damn Truly at Joes. 6 PM game at Carver on a Thursday and 50 students show. Pathetic.
Calling students pathetic for not going to the game will not solve the problem of students not going to the game

The whole layout of fans needs a reset, just like the program. Students should be circling the court in the first 6-7 rows (as well as behind baskets) and then put the mega donors behind them with a gap of 1-2 rows so the old farts can sit down all game while the students stand, jump, whatever.

Calling students pathetic for not going to the game will not solve the problem of students not going to the game

So that makes criticism of them out of bounds/unwarranted? Idk that it's the students fault, but idk that I understand the sentiment here either. No comment on a message board is going to solve that problem, right?

How can Carver be so loud for wrestling? Perhaps the product on the court?
Haven't attended a wrestling meet the past couple years, no idea. Is there music? I know everyone is screaming TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, and the wins come way more than the losses.

I could be wrong, but I’m guessing not many students show up for wrestling?

Students aren’t stupid. Why wait in the freezing cold for a bus to take you 3 miles to a game with no bars close by and you have to turn around and wait to bus back to the dorms after the game? When you can just walk to a bar and watch the game and drink beer with your friends then walk home at your convenience? Their time is more important than that. Building Carver in the middle of no where killed student attendance. You only get it back if you build an arena downtown or (maybe) if you build an entertainment district around Carver.

Students aren’t stupid. Why wait in the freezing cold for a bus to take you 3 miles to a game with no bars close by and you have to turn around and wait to bus back to the dorms after the game? When you can just walk to a bar and watch the game and drink beer with your friends then walk home at your convenience? Their time is more important than that. Building Carver in the middle of no where killed student attendance. You only get it back if you build an arena downtown or (maybe) if you build an entertainment district around Carver.

Im guessing student attendance is fine , when we have a good team.

Ive been doing this a long time, and there’s only one prescription for this, WE NEED MORE COWBELL! 😁

You think the students are on this fricking board? This board is made up a middle aged, fat former tuba players, who bitch and complain about the perfect rotation not happening every single game.

Also another problem is us middle aged fat asses and older are the Iowa basketball fanbase. Younger people didnt grow up watching the Hawks like we did.

This is all true, and I understand Tuesday night games at like 8, but Thursday at 6 is perfect for students. Perfect. Go to the game, get some beers, then head to the bars after.

The student attendance does indeed suck monkey. The point about there being nothing around, is very valid, as well as other stuff. Plus they simply have the attention span of a flea. It's easier to be on your phone in the dorms than Cambus in the cold and sit in the corner.
And I was a trumpet player but quit in middle-school. And I'm in the process of losing weight and getting in shape. I was a solid basketball player until junior year when everyone else grew and caught up to me :)

I’ve seen this said before but I went to the iowa, Minnesota match this year on a Friday night and as someone that doesn’t watch much wrestling I thought I was gonna have a lot more fun watching the crowd. Crowd seemed pretty calm in my mind. Maybe it was just where I was located but maybe not.

We have a fun team to cheer for and have for years. We just don’t have fat donors who cheer. As long as fat pockets are the #1 priority for the AD I don’t see it changing.

Which sucks for the players. No real home court advantage for years now. Carver has been loud and packed before, so schedules this, or location that…not the core issue. The AD caring about improving the experience and atmosphere is the issue.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
My daughter is a sophomore at iowa, and actually studies and does not go to the bb games 😂

Iowa wrestling fans expect the wrestling team to win and dominate and they almost always do. Basketball fans like myself IMO feel like a let down is always around the corner and are guarded with optimism. This is exactly what happened last night. Iowa basketball has no consistency.
Play good defense for two games then give up 90. Iowa played with no intensity on defense until three minutes left and lost again. They let an opposing player averaging eight points shoot 12-15. Sure, players get hot but it was a lack of will at that end for Iowa. Until Fran gets his teams to buy in on defense they will never do anything in March!

Reactions: BEAN DOG and Slim45
My daughter is a sophomore at iowa, and actually studies and does not go to the bb games 😂

this is fine. Of 30,000-35,000 students for undergrad (I think that’s still the approximate size of undergrad enrollment anyway) we only need 5% or so to come to any basketball game. As long as 10-15% care enough to share tickets and get to every 3rd game or so…

I’ve seen this said before but I went to the iowa, Minnesota match this year on a Friday night and as someone that doesn’t watch much wrestling I thought I was gonna have a lot more fun watching the crowd. Crowd seemed pretty calm in my mind. Maybe it was just where I was located but maybe not.
well wrestling is going to be a little different atmosphere than a bball game. Basketball is non stop action, wrestling is only action at certain points. But when there is action and a close match coming down to the wire it’s a great atmosphere. Then you go to the PSU dual and its an awesome atmosphere the whole night.
Also it doesn’t matter who we’re wrestling, there will be butts in the seats, even knowing it will probably be an absolute beatdown.
Edit to add: i was at the mn meet, and you’re right it was kind of a snooze fest 😁

Both things can be true, actually......because it speaks to the attitudes of today's youth.

Also, aside from free beer, winning is about the only thing that will really get students to show up in droves and actually be useful at Carver.

There isn't a single other thing the school can do otherwise......and that includes moving the student section.

Someone on this forum creatively and accurately referred to our arena as "Carver Hawk Aisle Arena" if I recall correctly. Way too many aisles in the lower section nearest the court; some of the rows only have 5-6 seats. Not sure what it would cost (probably far more than I could imagine), but taking out those seats and aisles and replacing them with more seats and less aisles nearest the court would be one improvement. And reserve them for students as others have recommended.

Can you point me to a year in the last 20 where that has been true?

That’s the problem, Iowa basketball has been average or below for 20 years. Yea last year was an uptick but the same end of year result. I'm jaded as I was in school when Lute was coaching. I think Iowa can do better.

Reactions: BEAN DOG
That’s the problem, Iowa basketball has been average or below for 20 years. Yea last year was an uptick but the same end of year result. I'm jaded as I was in school when Lute was coaching. I think Iowa can do better.
I remember going to a game at the old Fieldhouse, too. But times have changed and if you can't think of one year in the last 20 where students have shown up then that should tell you the problem is more than just the team's success or the product on the court. There have been some very good and entertaining teams during that time period.

We have a fun team to cheer for and have for years. We just don’t have fat donors who cheer. As long as fat pockets are the #1 priority for the AD I don’t see it changing.

Which sucks for the players. No real home court advantage for years now. Carver has been loud and packed before, so schedules this, or location that…not the core issue. The AD caring about improving the experience and atmosphere is the issue.
Mostly we have no hopes of competing for titles or NCAA tournament wins. Program is in a rut.

Reactions: Hawkenschpiel
Congrats. But let me tell ya a true story.

When I attended Iowa--and graduated in 4 years--I went to every football and basketball game all four years. I never missed a class, even though my first one every year was at 7:30 in the morning. Most students spend 3-4 hours a day in class, max. Minus 8 hours to sleep, that leaves about 12 hours a day for other stuff. Despite attending all the games, I studied. Of course, it's also true that I didn't hang out in bars, so I was a little weird.

But anybody who says students can't attend sporting events because they don't have time is simply lying . . . or naive. Your call. I've been there and done that. I have no issue with students at any school who don't like sports and/or don't want to attend games. I'm not much of an opera or ballet or Olympics fan, so I don't watch or attend those events. But I'm willing to place a small wager that those students who don't attend sports events find plenty of other ways to waste time. They might tell you they're studying, but you might want to remain a tad skeptical.

ADVERTISEMENT