ADVERTISEMENT

So Iowa has the 9th best winning % in FBS since 2015...

Yes we win some games just not the ones we truly need to.
What does this even mean? So any game that Iowa loses is one that we needed to win, and the fact that the Hawks didn't win that game means what? I mean I get it to an extent. After the PSU win last year, if Iowa would have won out they are in the playoff. But does anyone actually think that was realistic?

Iowa probably left a couple of division titles on the table since 2015 due to combination of bad luck and coming up small in a couple of games (2018 Wisconsin and 2020 Northwestern come to mind). It still doesn't diminish they've been among the best in college FB at winning games since 2019. It doesn't mean Iowa is Ohio State or Alabama or Clemson or whatever. They aren't. It just means they have won a lot of games, which a lot of other schools wish they could say.

What does this even mean? So any game that Iowa loses is one that we needed to win, and the fact that the Hawks didn't win that game means what? I mean I get it to an extent. After the PSU win last year, if Iowa would have won out they are in the playoff. But does anyone actually think that was realistic?

Iowa probably left a couple of division titles on the table since 2015 due to combination of bad luck and coming up small in a couple of games (2018 Wisconsin and 2020 Northwestern come to mind). It still doesn't diminish they've been among the best in college FB at winning games since 2019. It doesn't mean Iowa is Ohio State or Alabama or Clemson or whatever. They aren't. It just means they have won a lot of games, which a lot of other schools wish they could say.
But what if they could win.......more?

And what if I was 6-4, in my 20s and could throw 98 miles an hour? I could pitch in the MLB. If the argument is Iowa should win more, that is something that can be reasonably argued. Persons could compare how Iowa performs relative to all the things that matter in a program, like recruiting base, fan support, history, recruiting rankings, etc. But that really doesn't seem to be the argument anymore. At least for most people. Iowa does not have the 9th-best program in the country in terms of all the things I mentioned above. We just don't. Low-population state with 2 Power 5 conference teams in it automatically means Iowa is not the 9th-best program in terms of opportunity to win.

It's fairly obvious that KF does more with the "raw material" of the Iowa program than do most of the coaches across the country, and for sure when compared against the likes of Fleck, Frost and Campbell. Now if the argument is that Iowa could be better with a different approach/better coaching of the offense, or that they could recruit even better if he didn't play the "we are just Iowa" card, I am listening and can probably go there.

But over the past 7-8 years, KF has put out a consistently good team, with occasional spikes toward really good/great. That is doing a really good job at Iowa. Others can and will disagree.

I'm all for winning more, but what you're really suggesting is that, no matter how high the performance, the bar should be higher, meaning we never "succeed".

That's a great attitude for continuous improvement and one every person should have regarding themselves. It's a bad one to use to judge the success of a team as a whole since it means that literally the only way to meet expectations is to win the NC. Anything short comes with "yeah, great, but how about more....".

5 years is a standard time frame, 10 years is a standard time frame. 7 years which just so happens to include our great season without accounting for the shower of shit thr season before it, is sketchy.

Is this when I call you Pinocchio since it is close to.your name?
Someone else posted KF's winning % compared to HF at Iowa. Both at Iowa for 20 years. Almost exactly the same winning percentage.

Will be interesting to see what the narrative is if Iowa wins 8-9 games average over the next 3 years to make it a nice round 10 years starting with the 2015 season.

Someone else posted KF's winning % compared to HF at Iowa. Both at Iowa for 20 years. Almost exactly the same winning percentage.

Will be interesting to see what the narrative is if Iowa wins 8-9 games average over the next 3 years to make it a nice round 10 years starting with the 2015 season.
If KF and crew win 10 games this year much of the rumblings will be silenced.

Last edited:
I would argue that if they don't win the Big Ten title game, the rumblings will not be all that silenced.
I think KFs legacy is pretty well cemented in "great guy with a weakness towards offensive innovation". Anything 8-9 winds regular season and the unspoken mindset will be "he gets to stay until he wants to leave because he has earned it". 10 wins likely takes us back to indy and the fanbase hopes for a twilight run. 7 wins, without some major defensive struggles and offensive improvement likely means he is forced to fire his son and that may not go well.

The university if Iowa has a product to sell, that product is changing the standards from traditional norms and our group doesn't appear (read "is not") on the cutting edge. If things go ugly for Brian, and KF has be accountable, I could see him saying he doesn't want to mess with NIL and hanging it up.

You ever looked to see who Michigan has played during that time frame compared to us?

Here I’ll help…..

1 0.91429 64 6 0 70
2 0.88889 56 7 0 63
3 0.88406 61 8 0 69
4 0.85294 58 10 0 68
5 0.84848 56 10 0 66
6 0.84375 54 10 0 64
7 0.80645 50 12 0 62
8 0.78788 52 14 0 66
9 0.76190 48 15 0 63
10 0.75000 45 15 0 60

11 0.72131 44 17 0 61
12 0.70769 46 19 0 65
13t0.70492 43 18 0 61
13t
Iowa
0.70492 43 18 0 61

You’ll note 6 group of 5 teams above us since 2017 (5 years for those who can’t count) and incidentally if my math is right Michigan and Iowa have both played 26 teams with losing records in the last five years.

and quite frankly there is a segment of this Fanbase & every Fanbase that it will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be enough they just keep changing their metrics!!!

and if you think a “robust offense “& the same record will will be okay…then I’d say you are the problem in this equation not anyone else.

A 42-38 loss will still be a loss. Fans ruin sports IMO!

Anything else….

Here I’ll help…..

13t0.704924318061
13t
Iowa

You’ll note 6 group of 5 teams above us since 2017 (5 years for those who can’t count) and incidentally if my math is right Michigan and Iowa have both played 26 teams with losing records in the last five years.

and quite frankly there is a segment of this Fanbase & every Fanbase that it will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be enough they just keep changing their metrics!!!

and if you think a “robust offense “& the same record will will be okay…then I’d say you are the problem in this equation not anyone else.

Anything else….
It isn't about the teams they have played that have a losing record, it's about who they played that has a winning record. C'mon man.

oh…..ok, then we can agree the five years versus seven years thing turned out not in your favor
What? You don't think Michigan, unlike us, hasn't played Ohio State the last 5 years? We have guaranteed "pretty good" team on our schedule every year (Wisc) they have 1 elite. Now look how many times we played Michigan state and Penn state and how many times they did, both teams equal to our "pretty good".

C'mon man!

It isn't about the teams they have played that have a losing record, it's about who they played that has a winning record. C'mon man.
Other than differences due to CCG's or bowl games, teams play the same number of games. If two teams played the same number of teams with losing records, they likely played virtually the same number of teams with winning records. It's possible one played more 6-6 teams than the other, but odds are pretty good that's balanced out over a range of years.

Other than differences due to CCG's or bowl games, teams play the same number of games. If two teams played the same number of teams with losing records, they likely played virtually the same number of teams with winning records. It's possible one played more 6-6 teams than the other, but odds are pretty good that's balanced out over a range of years.
Cool, and playing a team like northwestern/purdue/MN/ Illinois that goes 7-6 ish isn't the same as playing Penn state/MSU that wins 10 games. I believe the number was 26-10. I can assure you if we played Ohio State every year, and had 10 total losses over 5 years we would be happy as shit.

Reactions: FlintTown
5 years is a standard time frame, 10 years is a standard time frame. 7 years which just so happens to include our great season without accounting for the shower of shit thr season before it, is sketchy.

Is this when I call you Pinocchio since it is close to.your name?
Five years is no
Here I’ll help…..

13t0.704924318061
13t
Iowa

Anything else….
So, if you take the non Power 5 teams out of the equation, Iowa is number 9 again.

Btw, I chuckle at "probably left a couple division titles on the table".

Here's our bad beats since our last Big Ten title:

2005- Refs and pants pooping vs Michigan, just pants pooping vs Northwestern.........win both those winnable games and we share the B10 with PSU and OSU. And then it was just the refs vs Florida.......... :mad:

2008- 4 losses by 12 pts, I believe was the number? But that gets chalked up to a team still learning to win

2009- Stanzi injury = Iowa can't have nice things = BAU

2014- Never mind the Maryland game that we had an early 14-0 lead in (or the embarrassment that was the Minnesota game....that never happened btw ;)), let's focus on the final two Big Ten games where we continued to get in our own way against Wisconsin up until the 4th qtr and then the defense decided that "hey we've held on for 55 minutes. There's no sense in sticking around for the final 5!"....which was a common theme for Iowa for many years, especially throughout the late 2000s and most of the 2010s and especially in important games, right up until the Outback Bowl against Mississippi State....(and that streak only lasted until the Citrus Bowl against Kentucky this past season)..........but oh well amirite? :D

Then to top it off we blow a 24-7 lead against Nebraska, which oddly enough changed the fate of both teams from there on..............

But if we somehow just win those two winnable games, instead of being consistently inconsistent to downright mediocre, then Iowa wins the division title again, and they get to go get blown out by Ohio State...................but hey at least we would've been there! :D

2015- Stupid refs swallowing their stupid whistles down their stupid throats because they had to follow that stupid unwritten rule that you have to let the stupid players play and they let stupid Michigan State get away with two stupid egregious penalties, including on the final stupid touchdown to keep us out of the playoffs........not that I'm still bitter about that.

2016- BAU play down to Northwestern for the unnecessary L, and BAU can't get out of our own way to score a touchdown L against Wisconsin

2017- Stupid Penn State game, stupid try hard Purdue and of course stupid offensive no-shows against MSU and Northwestern kept us from going 11-1

2018- More idiocy and finding new ways to lose to Wisconsin, BAU offense no-shows against Northwestern, refs and pants-pooping helps us lose to Penn State and more try-hardy try-hardiness from Jeff Brohm and Purdue making sure they at least get their signature win over Iowa.

2019- BAU Brian Ferentz offensive no-shows in losses to Michigan and PSU. Win those two and the Wisconsin game doesn't matter. We win the West.

2020- Stupid Jeff Brohm and his stupid try hard bullsh** *kicks table/hurts foot* getting stupid Purdue to try hard against Iowa................even though he technically wasn't at this game.

And more BAU choking against Northwestern.

2021- BAU offensive sh** show, but hey!.....at least we won the West! :D

And that's not including all the other dumb play-down-to-our-competition "narrow" losses we've taken in the Ferentz era to teams like Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa State and Wisconsin............

I'm all for winning more, but what you're really suggesting is that, no matter how high the performance, the bar should be higher, meaning we never "succeed".

That's a great attitude for continuous improvement and one every person should have regarding themselves. It's a bad one to use to judge the success of a team as a whole since it means that literally the only way to meet expectations is to win the NC. Anything short comes with "yeah, great, but how about more....".
Thats a mike drop right there Hwk-I St8. ..... :D

Btw, I chuckle at "probably left a couple division titles on the table".

Here's our bad beats since our last Big Ten title:

2005- Refs and pants pooping vs Michigan, just pants pooping vs Northwestern.........win both those winnable games and we share the B10 with PSU and OSU. And then it was just the refs vs Florida.......... :mad:

2008- 4 losses by 12 pts, I believe was the number? But that gets chalked up to a team still learning to win

2009- Stanzi injury = Iowa can't have nice things = BAU

2014- Never mind the Maryland game that we had an early 14-0 lead in (or the embarrassment that was the Minnesota game....that never happened btw ;)), let's focus on the final two Big Ten games where we continued to get in our own way against Wisconsin up until the 4th qtr and then the defense decided that "hey we've held on for 55 minutes. There's no sense in sticking around for the final 5!"....which was a common theme for Iowa for many years, especially throughout the late 2000s and most of the 2010s and especially in important games, right up until the Outback Bowl against Mississippi State....(and that streak only lasted until the Citrus Bowl against Kentucky this past season)..........but oh well amirite? :D

Then to top it off we blow a 24-7 lead against Nebraska, which oddly enough changed the fate of both teams from there on..............

But if we somehow just win those two winnable games, instead of being consistently inconsistent to downright mediocre, then Iowa wins the division title again, and they get to go get blown out by Ohio State...................but hey at least we would've been there! :D

2015- Stupid refs swallowing their stupid whistles down their stupid throats because they had to follow that stupid unwritten rule that you have to let the stupid players play and they let stupid Michigan State get away with two stupid egregious penalties, including on the final stupid touchdown to keep us out of the playoffs........not that I'm still bitter about that.

2016- BAU play down to Northwestern for the unnecessary L, and BAU can't get out of our own way to score a touchdown L against Wisconsin

2017- Stupid Penn State game, stupid try hard Purdue and of course stupid offensive no-shows against MSU and Northwestern kept us from going 11-1

2018- More idiocy and finding new ways to lose to Wisconsin, BAU offense no-shows against Northwestern, refs and pants-pooping helps us lose to Penn State and more try-hardy try-hardiness from Jeff Brohm and Purdue making sure they at least get their signature win over Iowa.

2019- BAU Brian Ferentz offensive no-shows in losses to Michigan and PSU. Win those two and the Wisconsin game doesn't matter. We win the West.

2020- Stupid Jeff Brohm and his stupid try hard bullsh** *kicks table/hurts foot* getting stupid Purdue to try hard against Iowa................even though he technically wasn't at this game.

And more BAU choking against Northwestern.

2021- BAU offensive sh** show, but hey!.....at least we won the West! :D

And that's not including all the other dumb play-down-to-our-competition "narrow" losses we've taken in the Ferentz era to teams like Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa State and Wisconsin............
And just like MOST other good teams you could do EXACTLY the same thing in many close Iowa victories that could have been losses. The fact though is that we've won WAY more of those games then we've lost because of good coaching or execution, and the record clearly shows that or we wouldn't be one of the ten winninest programs in college football in the last decade.

And just like MOST other good teams you could do EXACTLY the same thing in many close Iowa victories that could have been losses. The fact though is that we've won WAY more of those games then we've lost because of good coaching or execution, and the record clearly shows that or we wouldn't be one of the ten winninest programs in college football in the last decade.
Nah, we don't give wins back. If Ohio State won't, then we won't either....... ;)
Also, we won those close games because it was the right thing to do, so there's no need to use hindsight.

• Haha
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
And what if I was 6-4 (you still can be....), in my 20s (Are you sure that's when you want to go back to?...) and could throw 98 miles an hour? (Why not 99?) I could pitch in the MLB. (If you could hit a strikezone, yeah......... ;) ) If the argument is Iowa should win more, that is something that can be reasonably argued. (I'd prefer that nobody argue that Iowa shouldn't/couldn't win more.............) Persons could compare how Iowa performs relative to all the things that matter in a program, like recruiting base, fan support, history, recruiting rankings, etc. But that really doesn't seem to be the argument anymore. At least for most people. (So........what do you think I was asking?) Iowa does not have the 9th-best program in the country in terms of all the things I mentioned above. We just don't. (Yeah, well, we f***ing should be, and in fact we should be #1 and I blame all the programs ahead of us for not allowing that to happen.........) Low-population state (that's a good thing, despite what people in all the overcrowded states will say.......) with 2 Power 5 conference teams in it automatically means Iowa is not the 9th-best program in terms of opportunity to win. (Well, now, that just seems like an excuse.........I mean that literally sounds like, "Iowa's opportunity to win is limited simply because Iowa State exists"...........how bout no.)

It's fairly obvious that KF does more with the "raw material" of the Iowa program than do most of the coaches across the country, and for sure when compared against the likes of Fleck, Frost and Campbell. Now if the argument is that Iowa could be better with a different approach/better coaching of the offense, or that they could recruit even better if he didn't play the "we are just Iowa" card, I am listening and can probably go there. ("I'll take them too...." -Russell Crowe, American Gangster)

But over the past 7-8 years, KF has put out a consistently good team (Yeah....), with occasional spikes toward really good/great. (Uh huh...) That is doing a really good job at Iowa. (It is......) Others can and will disagree. (Let them.....)
Again, what is it you think I'm asking?......;)

P.S. I do hope you read all my quoted commentary. I can never tell if people do, because it often feels like they give up and just cherry pick things out of frustration........:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT