ADVERTISEMENT

So Iowa has the 9th best winning % in FBS since 2015...

I'm all for winning more, but what you're really suggesting is that, no matter how high the performance, the bar should be higher, meaning we never "succeed". (Not necessarily.....)

That's a great attitude for continuous improvement and one every person should have regarding themselves. (Yes, it is Iowa, and Kirk's for now, job to figure out how, or if, they can take Iowa to whatever level is above being a perennial 8-9 win team............) It's a bad one to use to judge the success of a team as a whole (Which is why we're not using it to judge the success they've had............) since it means that literally the only way to meet expectations is to win the NC. (I'd be fine with that! We could use a national championship around here in something other than wrestling........ :D ) Anything short comes with "yeah, great, but how about more....". (It's kinda funny because that's where the wrestling program/fans are at..........)
Oh and yes, when you annually leave 2-3 wins on the table because of your own stupid consistently inconsistent bullsh**, you have earned the reward of "yeah great, but how about more"...............

Sorry, not sorry? :)

• Love
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
If I hated a team’s head coach as much as some of you do, I sure as hell would not follow the team closely and surely would not be on team forums posting. I’d wait until he was gone. Like someone posting on the web makes one iota of a difference. Lol. Unless you are a big money donor your opinion means squat.

Reactions: F5n5
My concern for Iowa is when then need a first down to run out the clock at the end of the game , it rarely happens.
That’s usually where we go full on conservative. Run up the middle. A great team could still open holes and impose their will.

Reactions: amahawk
Again, what is it you think I'm asking?......;)

P.S. I do hope you read all my quoted commentary. I can never tell if people do, because it often feels like they give up and just cherry pick things out of frustration........:cool:
I do read the commentary if I can, although it's a message board so time is limited.

To your question of what I think you are asking, I have no idea. It's why I answered like I did. In life in general, and especially on a message board, I will make very little attempt to tease out nuance or implied meaning. Just how I am. You seem like an okay guy/gal, we can agree to disagree on something.

Here I’ll help…..

13t0.704924318061
13t
Iowa

You’ll note 6 group of 5 teams above us since 2017 (5 years for those who can’t count) and incidentally if my math is right Michigan and Iowa have both played 26 teams with losing records in the last five years.

and quite frankly there is a segment of this Fanbase & every Fanbase that it will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be enough they just keep changing their metrics!!!

and if you think a “robust offense “& the same record will will be okay…then I’d say you are the problem in this equation not anyone else.

A 42-38 loss will still be a loss. Fans ruin sports IMO!

Anything else….
Ummm.....

In the past 5 years Michigan has played Bama, OSU , UGA, ND and Central Florida...

That's 5 of the top 7 on that list...

What exactly is your point...besides we kicked the f out of UCF?

You ever looked to see who Michigan has played during that time frame compared to us?
We’ll that would be 9 games vs Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland + I’m sure there was 4 or so MAC teams, probably a service academy and a directional school of some sort.

mill let you research, and ask what’s your point?

If I hated a team’s head coach as much as some of you do, I sure as hell would not follow the team closely and surely would not be on team forums posting. I’d wait until he was gone. Like someone posting on the web makes one iota of a difference. Lol. Unless you are a big money donor your opinion means squat.
And they mean less than the use to w/outlandish tv money

My concern for Iowa is when then need a first down to run out the clock at the end of the game , it rarely happens.
One of the things I'm hoping to see change now. Not only improvement from the OL but with some of the bigger backs were bringing now to supplement the Williams's I think we'll see improvement there, and that would be huge.

Can anyone give me a position group from 2015-current you feel has more talent than any position group over the next 3 years? Not individual players but total position.

The point is, we have seen the coaches do far more with far less.
Beathard was pretty good, and i hear QB is fairly important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronman
Ummm.....

In the past 5 years Michigan has played Bama, OSU , UGA, ND and Central Florida...

That's 5 of the top 7 on that list...

What exactly is your point...besides we kicked the f out of UCF?
I can't remember...does Michigan have to play a home and home with the same P5 non-con opponent every year? If not, I wonder if that opens up their scheduling options a bit....

Reactions: Ree4
I can't remember...does Michigan have to play a home and home with the same P5 non-con opponent every year? If not, I wonder if that opens up their scheduling options a bit....
It does open things up but even when we had the (mostly) annual series with ND going (recently ended) we still found a way to schedule a second home and home which more often than not was a mid-tier PAC12 team.

In the last 5 (non-covid) seasons Michigan changed the strategy a bit. We did finish out our series with ND (two games) but tried doing a neutral site thing opening one year with Alabama and another against Florida. We also finished off the back end of a home and home with Washington. We also played UCF in that span who is on the list I reacted to.

Now if you want to go back 6 years...we played an OOC schedule of @Utah (P12), Oregon State (P12) and BYU (Indie but legit). That was in one year. You can criticize Umich for a lot of things but OOC is not one of them which Is why I was wondering where the need to compare Iowa to Michigan was coming from?

Now the irony is if someone looks at our upcoming OOC schedule they will get a good laugh. It is the weakest I can ever remember. There is even a current thread on our board asking if our "cupcake schedule" will prepare us to play Iowa in week 5.

• Haha
Reactions: iowapotato
It does open things up but even when we had the (mostly) annual series with ND going (recently ended) we still found a way to schedule a second home and home which more often than not was a mid-tier PAC12 team.

In the last 5 (non-covid) seasons Michigan changed the strategy a bit. We did finish out our series with ND (two games) but tried doing a neutral site thing opening one year with Alabama and another against Florida. We also finished off the back end of a home and home with Washington. We also played UCF in that span who is on the list I reacted to.

Now if you want to go back 6 years...we played an OOC schedule of @Utah (P12), Oregon State (P12) and BYU (Indie but legit). That was in one year. You can criticize Umich for a lot of things but OOC is not one of them which Is why I was wondering where the need to compare Iowa to Michigan was coming from?

Now the irony is if someone looks at our upcoming OOC schedule they will get a good laugh. It is the weakest I can ever remember. There is even a current thread on our board asking if our "cupcake schedule" will prepare us to play Iowa in week 5.
And we generally scheduled ISU, one other P5 team (like Pitt, ASU, Syracuse, etc.) and two teams that will play at Kinnick for $$ without a return game at their stadium (prior to going to 9 conference games). Since that changed to 9 conference games, the only way to get 7 home games is to play the annual home/home with ISU and two mac level teams.

Playing ISU annually in a home/home series puts Iowa into a corner: either they are the only P5 team we ever play out of conference or we play a home/home with another P5 and give up a home game. It's a never-ending source of debate here.

• Haha
And what if I was 6-4, in my 20s and could throw 98 miles an hour? I could pitch in the MLB. If the argument is Iowa should win more, that is something that can be reasonably argued. Persons could compare how Iowa performs relative to all the things that matter in a program, like recruiting base, fan support, history, recruiting rankings, etc. But that really doesn't seem to be the argument anymore. At least for most people. Iowa does not have the 9th-best program in the country in terms of all the things I mentioned above. We just don't. Low-population state with 2 Power 5 conference teams in it automatically means Iowa is not the 9th-best program in terms of opportunity to win.

It's fairly obvious that KF does more with the "raw material" of the Iowa program than do most of the coaches across the country, and for sure when compared against the likes of Fleck, Frost and Campbell. Now if the argument is that Iowa could be better with a different approach/better coaching of the offense, or that they could recruit even better if he didn't play the "we are just Iowa" card, I am listening and can probably go there.

But over the past 7-8 years, KF has put out a consistently good team, with occasional spikes toward really good/great. That is doing a really good job at Iowa. Others can and will disagree.
You're going to need some good off speed stuff to go with that heat or you can kiss that MLB career goodbye fella.

• Haha
You sound like a fake ass fan.

Btw most dislike I see is aimed at his son...

Indeed. Welcome to Kinnick Maize and blue! I just hope its a night game, so the wolverines get the FULL Kinnick experience......

• Haha
All I ask for is a mediocre offense to compliment some of the ridiculous defenses we've been fielding lately. That is where our offense is for me... I'd be thrilled with mediocre.

Full Kinnick experience? You guys retouching the pink paint in the visitors locker room?
Cute. The Hawks are 5-1 in their last 6 games at home against AP top 5 ranked teams. The one loss by a point to PSU in the last 30 seconds. Come join us if you've never been to a game at Kinnick. The place where visitors dreams come to die.....

• Haha
Nope....it would be like before...home/home with teams like Pitt, ASU, etc. Why would you expect anything different from what we did pre 9 game conference schedule?
So an awful power school. Just keep Iowa state. It’s more interesting.

really don’t care to see Barta go through the motions of finding a school from a good conference that sucks and then pretend they are playing somebody.

So an awful power school. Just keep Iowa state. It’s more interesting.

really don’t care to see Barta go through the motions of finding a school from a good conference that sucks and then pretend they are playing somebody.
You don't get to choose. The FB administration will do what they're going to do. You can attend/watch/follow along or not. That's your level of control. Deal with it. Thanks for your informed opinion though....

• Haha
ricky-bobby-will-ferell.gif

You don't get to choose. The FB administration will do what they're going to do. You can attend/watch/follow along or not. That's your level of control. Deal with it. Thanks for your informed opinion though....
You seem to be the one that can’t handle opinion.

• Haha
Half the people on a cruise ship will be happy, talk about the amenities on the ship when a bigger ship comes by. Their kids will look at the bigger ship in awe, but those fifty percent will say the ship is good for the price. The other fifty will be looking for all the reasons they couldn't get on the bigger ship. They will see all the deficiencies , and question what it would take to get on that bigger ship. Things like paying more, but for that they will need to do better themselves.

Clemson was the smaller boat until they got a promotion. They were content with being a nine win team, beating South Carolina, and occasionally beating FSU, Miami, and an SEC team in the bowl.

Now they would never see that as good enough. At least not this generation of fans. Newer Nebraska fans are happier with less results because that's what they know. Well not really. That mindset is bred into them. Let's say Minnesota fans hmm.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT