ADVERTISEMENT

So just for conversation, what the heck happened to the Davenport schools?

The Zulu kept millions of slaves. European/American men didn't land in Africa and hunts slaves, at least not very often. Think of the historical stupidity of that idea. The merchant ships that carried slaves had small crews. Fifteen to twenty. So you would land a group of ten merchant sailors, not well armed and they go out and capture 50-100 slaves. Of course the African populations would have fought back in overwhelming numbers. Virtually every tribe in Africa kept slaves and engaged in the slave trade long after the 13th Amendment.

AmerIndians kept slaves for almost 30 years after the 13th Amendment. It doesn't make it good or right but slavery, in some form or another, was the global norm when it came to American shores in the early 17th Century. Listen to the race baiters like Dave Graeber and you would think slavery still exists in the United States.​
A tiny minority of indigenous tribes in North America kept slaves. Mostly the tribes in the Pacific Northwest.

either you are willing to acknowledge the facts, or you are not. Either you were willing to look at the facts about structural racism, which still exists today, and the consequences of even worse structural racism still exist today.

I didn’t even know until a few months ago that the G.I. Bill systematically discriminated against African-Americans, preventing them from buying homes and getting free college education, a program that lifted millions of mainly white families from the lower class to the middle class in one fell swoop, and also which prevented millions of members of Black families from the same privilege, leaving them behind in rural poverty, in decaying ghettos, and attending under funded and often terrible schools, and no prospect for affordable higher education. And that wealth continued to build and was passed on generationally.

read the article in the military times I linked above. I don’t think that the military times is some liberal rag. It is the truth. The fact that most of us white people can afford to live in better areas and have wealth to support our kids it’s because we set up a system that mainly helps ourselves, at the expense of other people. That is a fact. That is not race baiting. Facts matter. You can choose to be responsible for them, or you can choose to insult me and live in irresponsible delusions.

if we are a nation, a community, a democracy, we all bear a responsibility to each other, especially to children, as we each are responsible for the consequences of our actions, positive and negative.

many people are born on third base and think they hit a triple.

Like it or not, we all share communities and we all are interconnected and share a planet. Can’t build walls around the oceans or atmosphere. Can’t fight it with the military. Can’t escape either.

But if the boat sinks, we are definitely all going down with it. I prefer to try to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: General Tso
A tiny minority of indigenous tribes in North America kept slaves. Mostly the tribes in the Pacific Northwest.

either you are willing to acknowledge the facts, or you are not. Either you were willing to look at the facts about structural racism, which still exists today, and the consequences of even worse structural racism still exist today.

I didn’t even know until a few months ago that the G.I. Bill systematically discriminated against African-Americans, preventing them from buying homes and getting free college education, a program that lifted millions of mainly white families from the lower class to the middle class in one fell swoop, and also which prevented millions of members of Black families from the same privilege, leaving them behind in rural poverty, in decaying ghettos, and attending under funded and often terrible schools, and no prospect for affordable higher education. And that wealth continued to build and was passed on generationally.

read the article in the military times I linked above. I don’t think that the military times is some liberal rag. It is the truth. The fact that most of us white people can afford to live in better areas and have wealth to support our kids it’s because we set up a system that mainly helps ourselves, at the expense of other people. That is a fact. That is not race baiting. Facts matter. You can choose to be responsible for them, or you can choose to insult me and live in irresponsible delusions.

if we are a nation, a community, a democracy, we all bear a responsibility to each other, especially to children, as we each are responsible for the consequences of our actions, positive and negative.

many people are born on third base and think they hit a triple.

Like it or not, we all share communities and we all are interconnected and share a planet. Can’t build walls around the oceans or atmosphere. Can’t fight it with the military. Can’t escape either.

But if the boat sinks, we are definitely all going down with it. I prefer to try to fix it.

And a tiny percentage of people in the US owned slaves. Ever.

Actually I resigned from the University some years back to start a few companies in green energy. I also started a nonprofit organization. I donate at least 20 hours a week for nonprofit work and maybe if my latest engineering venture is sold, I will pay off my mortgage with it. I’m not rich. I don’t live in a big house. I’m putting two kids through college. So I guess if I’m paid minimum wage, The value of the time I donate to kids and families and schools would be worth about 20 times $7.25, or about $150 a week. Maybe I should donate more time then to not be called some kind of hypocrite by you?

Or maybe this isn’t about me. I do all I can.

Maybe this knee-jerk reaction and insults from people is just a way to project blame instead of dealing with the unwillingness of many if not most people to make real sacrifices to compensate for the way that their privilege is greater than other peoples - by design, by chiice particularly minorities, and people from other countries who our country has exploited for many decades to give us all our privilege here.

I’ve been to the factories in China with 17 year old girls working 12 hour days for six or seven days a week in Shenzhen and other megalopolises, where they’ve had to install nets to prevent workers from jumping out of windows because of the oppressive workload. I’ve been inside the worker dormitories where six people live in a room smaller than most peoples kitchens, and their life is quite miserable. also that we can have our cheap products, A lot cheaper than they should be if people weren’t exploited here there or anywhere.

Or what we’ve done in Central America. Or the monstrous regime we support in Saudi Arabia so that we can get cheap oil. Etc.

People suffer and have suffered for many decades because we want a very privileged quality of life and we want cheap consumer goods and we want relative safety etc. That is an incontrovertible fact.

Yes at times the United States has done good in the world, especially when it has been in its interest. South Korea and France and Germany are better off because of the United States. But we have done tremendous harm in many other countries, and our best its net zero gain.

The Brown University cost of war project studies the real civilian impact of war, and in the nearly 20 years of war mainly waged by the United States in Afghanistan and Iraq, 900,000 civilians died. But they’re not cute little white Ukrainian girls, so we really don’t care.

it is a fact that mostly white people in Western Europe and the United States have exploited the world through imperialism, slavery, militarism, you name it. What we are seeing now is the consequences, the blowback, the fact that our supposed “superiority“ could never be more than temporary.

Either we come together and make some sacrifices, those of us who have privilege, and especially focus our time and energy and money and children, or we are all doomed.

We are all doomed, we always have been. The earth is running down and that’s how it was designed.

Reactions: unclesammy
What's happened in Davenport is the same thing you described has happened in Kansas city. There's so many different factors going on here. Waterloo East was good in the 70's, obviously the Davenport you described. I grew up in Des Moines and graduated high school in 82. Hoover to be exact, which is funny as it was the last school to be built in Des Moines, and probably should never have been built, as it has nowhere to grow. Johnston school district just right down the street, and Urbandale as well. It's not just Des Moines, it's KC, it's St Louis, it's Omaha as well. Suburban growth started in the early 90's and has just continued. New homes, etc. Waukee was maybe a 2A school if I remember back then. Some of you are quick to condemn David Graeber, but he does have a few valid points. Of course there has been some white flight. The growth of the suburbs has not just been all new people moving to Des Moines. And yes, you can't really blame them. The problem is a lot of the people still in the inner city schools do not have the upward mobility to move to the suburbs. It's pretty surprising to see some of the comments on here denigrating some of these people. Hoover is an absolute melting pot of immigrants. From people from the Sudan to many Bosnians. If you don't think having the money to play year round travel ball (from baseball, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc.) and have many more tools at your disposal I don't know what to tell you. Sorry Big Del, the parents in the suburbs don't "care more" they do have more resources at their disposal.

Then why don't the people that live there do something to make those schools and neighborhoods better? I'm only 5 years older than you, and this same complaint has been made as long as I remember following public policy. Part of it is true. But the same people run the school's in virtually every large school district so their students come out unprepared for anything outside a manual labor? Maybe we should look into a systemic failure in the education system...they already are well funded. Why would a DSM HS (Hoover) want to cancel the football program because they cannot guarantee the physical safety of players and fans?

Does that seem like an appropriate or equitable response, because that damages a lot of kids, their families and any Hoover fans. It seems to **** those people really hard, while rewarding whatever violent criminals that were the reason for cancelling football. Or maybe we surge DSM PD, Polk County Deputies, the Urbandale PD and the State Troopers in the stadium, including some undercover.

Not many good jobs in the inner city because the chaos deters business investment. Cannot have gun fights outside a Mon and Pop restaurant, right. You certainly aren't going to find many privately created jobs north of poverty level in a dangerous neighborhood.

But nothing is going to change as long as the large urban areas of the country vote the same way in every election.​

Then why don't the people that live there do something to make those schools and neighborhoods better? I'm only 5 years older than you, and this same complaint has been made as long as I remember following public policy. Part of it is true. But the same people run the school's in virtually every large school district so their students come out unprepared for anything outside a manual labor? Maybe we should look into a systemic failure in the education system...they already are well funded. Why would a DSM HS (Hoover) want to cancel the football program because they cannot guarantee the physical safety of players and fans?

Does that seem like an appropriate or equitable response, because that damages a lot of kids, their families and any Hoover fans. It seems to **** those people really hard, while rewarding whatever violent criminals that were the reason for cancelling football. Or maybe we surge DSM PD, Polk County Deputies, the Urbandale PD and the State Troopers in the stadium, including some undercover.

Not many good jobs in the inner city because the chaos deters business investment. Cannot have gun fights outside a Mon and Pop restaurant, right. You certainly aren't going to find many privately created jobs north of poverty level in a dangerous neighborhood.

But nothing is going to change as long as the large urban areas of the country vote the same way in every election.​
Systemic failure in the education system. Yes, I would agree. But you are all over the map here deplorable. I’m not making excuses. It’s tough to escape poverty. Not sure where you grew up. If you don’t think a kid living in a 500K house in Waukee or Ankeny has advantages over a immigrant family from the Sudan going to Hoover I’m not sure what to tell you. One family has a dad probably making well over 100K and maybe his mom about the same. Those kids have rides to practice, or a nanny to take them. The other kids are trying to just get to school. Not as simple as you make it out to be.

Reactions: General Tso

Where did you read that? What do you think was the purpose of the tribal warfare? Grab slaves, preferably women of childbearing age and maybe some loot. In the occasional settler massacre women and small children, especially girls were taken not killed. Just because they weren't black nor purchased at a slave sale made them no less slaves.

I might add, that is a typical practice of either small tribes or the various subtribes of much larger and more generalized population (e.g. too big to be governed without multiple levels of government). Much more prevalent in the AmerIndian tribes west of the Mississippi to be sure. The Eastern tribes had a much more developed civilization so constant raiding also wasn't nearly as necessary. Well developed trade and diplomatic institutions provided a more peaceful and profitable relationship. In turn that kind of regular contact brought young people from different tribes together and you know all the rest, young love or smart parenting made for keeping the peace through dynastic alliances between elites and wealthier families

Two tribes/nations, the Cherokee and some of the Seminoles, were well advanced into Europeanization by the early 19th Century. Both tribes/nations engaged in southern slave markets and kept slaves just like their white neighbors. The Cherokee were even creating an affluent planter class that farmed cash crops on large farms with black slave labor. Hell, the Cherokee were willing to just become citizens of the states they inhabited if they could keep their land, after Jackson simply stole it.

Systematic racism is intellectually unsupportable as a 21st Century construct. Laughable.

Systemic failure in the education system. Yes, I would agree. But you are all over the map here deplorable. I’m not making excuses. It’s tough to escape poverty. Not sure where you grew up. If you don’t think a kid living in a 500K house in Waukee or Ankeny has advantages over a immigrant family from the Sudan going to Hoover I’m not sure what to tell you. One family has a dad probably making well over 100K and maybe his mom about the same. Those kids have rides to practice, or a nanny to take them. The other kids are trying to just get to school. Not as simple as you make it out to be.
Identifying the causes is easy. Implementing the vast changes in public policy necessary to fix these problems is obviously very difficult.

Reactions: littlez
During the 70s Davenport Central running backs went:
-Jim Jensen, Iowa, NFL
-Curtis Craig, Nebraska
-Roger Craig, Nebraska, NFL
Consecutively.

Roger Craig had a teammate named Jaime Williams from Central who went to Nebraska and played 12 years in the NFL.

I went to college in Davenport during the 2000s and worked at an industrial supply company. Guy I worked with knew sports and especially local sports. He explained that the athletes left Davenport when the industrial jobs left. Guys like Tavian Banks and marquis simmons sprinkled in but a kid like David Johnson would’ve lived in Davenport during the 70s instead lived in Clinton during the 2000s. Basically blame Davenport’s lack of athletes on cheap Chinese goods was his premise.

If you lived in Davenport today you’d beg borrow and steal to sent your kids to Bettendorf or PV. Parents want their kids to be safe and excel.
In the 80s they had Marshall Cotton/Booker Scott, Iowa, followed by Gary Couch, Minnesota, followed by Rodney Taylor, Northern Illinois. Always great backs when I was growing up there.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
Davenport schools system has gone downhill fast in the past few years. Many have moved to the outskirts of town. PV, Eldridge, etc…. Lower enrollment in Davenport schools coupled with the movement to the outlining areas is the reason West/Central/North have all struggled lately. PV and North Scott get the majority of the talent from the area.
Davenport North is improving in a variety of sports. They are the one that seems to be able to compete and is growing. Especially in basketball. Girls Basketball had 28 years in a row of losing and I think they've had 9 straight winning seasons, a couple of conference titles and a state tournament trip. They currently have 2 freshmen who have HIGH D-1 offers, including from Bluder, so they will continue to be good.

Reactions: BlkNGld71
As an aside to all this political bickering, I’ve talked to some former coaches and proposed a Davenport Public athletic that combined the schools sports programs to give the best a chance to shine and get big school opps after high school. Would love to see it come to fruition.
Davenport absolutely needs to combine for ONE football team in order to compete with teams like PV.

Under. Funded.

All I really want to know is…..how did the “white man” get so powerful? It’s been said the cradle of life was Africa?

Yet here we are on a sports message board talking about how much power the white man has to suppress others?! If you figure that out I believe you’ll have the answer to how to “fix” it…

It’s odd really…..somehow we all got dropped here on the planet and yet the white man is the one with all the cards, 🧐?!

super interesting, right?

@Tom Paris…don’t laugh, enlighten. How did the “white man” get in control? Shouldn’t have every ethnicity on the earth at that time had the same opportunities…?

Lets be honest nobody really wants to flesh out the answer because of the potential implications. That’s why people respond with emojis they have nothing better to add!

Blame it on all the industrial jobs leaving the state and changing the demographics of the state. I played in the end of an era mid to late 90's right when blue collar industry began leaving the state in droves. It killed a lot of towns and cities across the state. A lot of strong middle class blue collar families were forced out of these towns and cities. These towns and cities were left with a much smaller middle class and a much larger lower middle class and lower class population. My former HS has lost nearly 40% of its enrollment from when I attended over 20 years ago. Now think of the athletic dollars lost in that time.

Reactions: littlez
If you lived in Davenport today you’d beg borrow and steal to sent your kids to Bettendorf or PV. Parents want their kids to be safe and excel.

Mmmm, so what makes the Davenport Community School District so unsafe?

...you know, compared to the '70's/'80's?

OAjd.gif

QC guy here. As other posters have said, just follow the money. I hate to say it but Bettendorf’s dominance is over. PV is absolutely exploding and the growth is exponential. They won the baseball state title this year, went undefeated in basketball until a late loss, and they have taken over in football as well. The Southeast Little League team that went to the World Series and was on ESPN has a bunch of PV kids on the team. North Scott and PV will be dominating eastern Iowa for the foreseeable future. They still can’t beat the Des Moines teams though as that’s just a whole different animal.
I agree with pretty much all of this. PV will continue dominating in the QC, but until they either hire a new coach with an balanced offensive approach, or the current coach evolves, their ceiling will remain 1st or 2nd round playoff exit, and they won't compete with the DM Metro schools.
North Scott seems to have it figured out, and their numbers at the youth level continue to climb.
The Davenport public schools won't have a real chance to compete just due to numbers and buy in/commitment. There are really good players at these schools, but only a few, and it's really tough for a talented player to shine without a good supporting cast blocking and tackling. North looks like it's about turn the corner, but make no mistake, their ceiling is about 5 wins and a 1st round playoff exit.

Reactions: Hawks2405
In the 80s they had Marshall Cotton/Booker Scott, Iowa, followed by Gary Couch, Minnesota, followed by Rodney Taylor, Northern Illinois. Always great backs when I was growing up there.
Absolutely. That was the time period I was talking about. I played against Roger Craig, and Jamie Williams. Curtis was already at Neb when I got to West......

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Paris
Yep...that was a scam.
I actually went to junior high there for two years when it first opened as Wallace Wood junior high. Then years later they converted it to the third high school. We were the Vikings I believe which was funny because our colors looked more like the packers......

Mmmm, so what makes the Davenport Community School District so unsafe?

...you know, compared to the '70's/'80's?

OAjd.gif
No idea.

I didn’t live there in the 70s and 80s.

I do know with open enrollment and more reliable transportation parents will send their kid to a better, further school a lot easier today than 40-50 years ago.

Blame it on all the industrial jobs leaving the state and changing the demographics of the state. I played in the end of an era mid to late 90's right when blue collar industry began leaving the state in droves. It killed a lot of towns and cities across the state. A lot of strong middle class blue collar families were forced out of these towns and cities. These towns and cities were left with a much smaller middle class and a much larger lower middle class and lower class population. My former HS has lost nearly 40% of its enrollment from when I attended over 20 years ago. Now think of the athletic dollars lost in that time.
Conversely, the tech job boom more than offsets the maytags of the world leaving

First, feel your pain. My class at Ottumwa had an even 500 kids, although two died between last day of school and graduation. I think the current class is like 238, and Ottumwa has absorbed all the little town schools in the area.

The decision to change our economy was not some random occurrence of nature. Presidents and Congresses of both parties created this disaster. Maybe, and I know this makes me a NAZI, but perhaps American diplomatic, economic and trade policy should serve America first? Ford, GM should build their cars in the US. Build them elsewhere and you've got a 25% tariff on those cars/vehicles. Appliances, same thing. Abandon all international trade deals and make the people that want to sell their products in the US build them in the US or face a tariff that equalize the purchase prices. None of the trade and construction policies are fixed in stone, well for the ****ing vermin mercantilists are pretty fixed because they make their money from just pushing money around, but they leave structures that are hollow, like an old tree filled with termites.

We still have the same two advantages the US has always had. We literally are the only country on Earth that possesses every natural resource to maintain our industrial base and has the largest, wealthiest consumer economy so Americans can buy what we produce in America.

Instead, our academics and business leaders whenge and whine about how bad it is and how we must work with the world to make our economy work. That's a lie, plain and simple. The rest of the world needs to be reminded that it is they that must work with us.​

Strange response. The failing schools are the most well funded in the world. The money is obviously being misspent.
Funded how exactly? Not talking in the classroom, which is a whole other story. The City schools here in KC don’t have the money to pay for football equipment. Shoulder pads and helmets. They have a guy on 810 sports radio here last year (an attorney who played college ball) who was paying out of his own pocket and setting up fundraising to be able to get these kids equipment. I’m guessing that’s not a problem at Ankeny or Waukee. Or even Pleasant Valley.

The QC Labor market is vastly different than the DM Metro. You can't discuss the two without mentioning the Illinois side of the Mississippi. The union mentality is more pervasive and the local and state elected officials lean left. That culture is unattractive to high tech firms. Children of industrial workers have to overcome the household attitudes and low expectations placed on them by the very schools they attend.

You can add in changes affecting enrollment in higher education. College enrollment is now dominated by female enrollment and overall college enrollment is dropping annually. Why? The answer seems to be tied to a surplus of college graduates to fill jobs requiring college education. Why put any importance on high school achievement when you are not planning to attend college because you're smart enough to know it won't pay off to go in debt? There is no incentive to play a sport for the chance you would get a athletic scholarship. Unless you are talented in math and sciences college may not pay. Sad truth.

First, feel your pain. My class at Ottumwa had an even 500 kids, although two died between last day of school and graduation. I think the current class is like 238, and Ottumwa has absorbed all the little town schools in the area.

The decision to change our economy was not some random occurrence of nature. Presidents and Congresses of both parties created this disaster. Maybe, and I know this makes me a NAZI, but perhaps American diplomatic, economic and trade policy should serve America first? Ford, GM should build their cars in the US. Build them elsewhere and you've got a 25% tariff on those cars/vehicles. Appliances, same thing. Abandon all international trade deals and make the people that want to sell their products in the US build them in the US or face a tariff that equalize the purchase prices. None of the trade and construction policies are fixed in stone, well for the ****ing vermin mercantilists are pretty fixed because they make their money from just pushing money around, but they leave structures that are hollow, like an old tree filled with termites.

We still have the same two advantages the US has always had. We literally are the only country on Earth that possesses every natural resource to maintain our industrial base and has the largest, wealthiest consumer economy so Americans can buy what we produce in America.

Instead, our academics and business leaders whenge and whine about how bad it is and how we must work with the world to make our economy work. That's a lie, plain and simple. The rest of the world needs to be reminded that it is they that must work with us.​
So if your class at Ottumwa had 500 and they now have 238 You can admit that’s a problem, correct? Small to medium size towns are dying slowly. Though Ottumwa has always been a blue collar town it had manufacturing and other jobs for middle class people. The people left there now are mostly the ones that can’t go anywhere else. Like Clinton, Burlington, these towns are no different than the Davenport schools. People with money and education flee and most of the others are stuck there or stuck in the City.

Reactions: Auger
Funded how exactly? Not talking in the classroom, which is a whole other story. The City schools here in KC don’t have the money to pay for football equipment. Shoulder pads and helmets. They have a guy on 810 sports radio here last year (an attorney who played college ball) who was paying out of his own pocket and setting up fundraising to be able to get these kids equipment. I’m guessing that’s not a problem at Ankeny or Waukee. Or even Pleasant Valley.

Well, I will certainly concede that schools do not focus their budgets on the general education of the students through curriculum and extracurriculars. Maybe we should start the conversation with making schools responsible for cutting the extraneous costs. Indeed, my HS that had around 1700 students in three classes. Three clerical secretaries. Why have educational budgets increased so much faster than any metric by which inflation is measured across the entire economy in the last 40 years? Administration should be much more economically administered. There's plenty of money for football, for full academic education and probably building improvement. Give me any school budget, let me meet with the school board and I'll find the money.

Reactions: RomanHawk
I actually went to junior high there for two years when it first opened as Wallace Wood junior high. Then years later they converted it to the third high school. We were the Vikings I believe which was funny because our colors looked more like the packers......
I was the first grad class. Went to Central for 2 years and then back to my junior high for senior year.

So if your class at Ottumwa had 500 and they now have 238 You can admit that’s a problem, correct? Small to medium size towns are dying slowly. Though Ottumwa has always been a blue collar town it had manufacturing and other jobs for middle class people. The people left there now are mostly the ones that can’t go anywhere else. Like Clinton, Burlington, these towns are no different than the Davenport schools. People with money and education flee and most of the others are stuck there or stuck in the City.

I think you posted before my "industrial & trade policy" comment above. While wiping out Ottumwa might not, in itself be a bad thing, the larger demolition of our industrial infrastructure, that in turn has stunted the American middle class, is a ****ing geo historical disaster for our country. Allowing China into the WTO was the worst, most arrogant and short-sighted strategic mistake in the history of our country. Jesus we fought the ****ing Civil War to end slavery and the economic benefits of slave labor, then we imbed with China, Vietnam, Cambodia and other countries that use some form of slave labor at the expense of American labor.

The very first principle of Maga Populism is "build American buy American". The current policies are disastrous and they keep just grinding on because the ****s that run this country can always find a silver lining to maintain the status quo. We certainly cannot become Rome where the government literally pays the citizenry to not work, although that is the track we're on.

The only way this system changes is by changing the people who believe in it. Kind of like Elon Musk taking over Twitter. So something that's named "Troy Bilt" is once again built in Troy Ohio.

The Brown University cost of war project studies the real civilian impact of war, and in the nearly 20 years of war mainly waged by the United States in Afghanistan and Iraq, 900,000 civilians died. But they’re not cute little white Ukrainian girls, so we really don’t care.
Get off your self righteous high horse. Significant majority of people are too lazy or simply don't have time to dig any further than what MSM presents to them - a MSM, mind you, that is vastly biased to the left, which is the "side" that says they align with your derivative woke-ness schtick. Only socio/psychopaths/extreme narcissists don't care about innocent casualties regardless of race, ethnicity, Creed, etc. so save the guilt trip. Then ask: who is propegating the slanted view that you have an issue with?

Davenport sucks at all sports. Shit town, shit schools, shit people, shit bars, river full of shit. The whole area needs a good Katrina flushing. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT