ADVERTISEMENT

So just for conversation, what the heck happened to the Davenport schools?

Under. Funded.
Yep, Kimmy gave a whopping 3.4% increase this year. WhooHooo. Inner City Schools in Davenport, CR, IC and DSM have move poverty to deal with, as well as more kids that are special needs People Who have special needs kids often move to larger cities so they can get needed services. Why inner city? They are often poor due to the fact they have limited their job prospects as well as spent more resources to help their special need kid, and they are much more likely to divorce. Davenport tried to do some innovative things to keep their schools more competitive and keep the quality up, but the State took over because we were out of "ratio" due to the fact that too many kids of color were being sent to the office and disciplined. Who cares whether we have been heavily impacted by the fact that Chicago has been shipping their problems to Iowa. Bureaucrats suck.

Yep, Kimmy gave a whopping 3.4% increase this year. WhooHooo. Inner City Schools in Davenport, CR, IC and DSM have move poverty to deal with, as well as more kids that are special needs People Who have special needs kids often move to larger cities so they can get needed services. Why inner city? They are often poor due to the fact they have limited their job prospects as well as spent more resources to help their special need kid, and they are much more likely to divorce. Davenport tried to do some innovative things to keep their schools more competitive and keep the quality up, but the State took over because we were out of "ratio" due to the fact that too many kids of color were being sent to the office and disciplined. Who cares whether we have been heavily impacted by the fact that Chicago has been shipping their problems to Iowa. Bureaucrats suck.

Schools were always the responsibility of the community until 50 years ago. And parents with special-needs children don't have to move to cities-they can have their children bussed to districts that can serve their students. Is poverty causing the 2-3 shootings per week in Davenport? Literally every place is hiring right now. And don't start with the "minimum wage" BS. Any manufacturing facility is paying north of $15 per hour.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Schools were always the responsibility of the community until 50 years ago. And parents with special-needs children don't have to move to cities-they can have their children bussed to districts that can serve their students. Is poverty causing the 2-3 shootings per week in Davenport? Literally every place is hiring right now. And don't start with the "minimum wage" BS. Any manufacturing facility is paying north of $15 per hour.
Manufacturing jobs? We still have those?

Get off your self righteous high horse. Significant majority of people are too lazy or simply don't have time to dig any further than what MSM presents to them - a MSM, mind you, that is vastly biased to the left, which is the "side" that says they align with your derivative woke-ness schtick. Only socio/psychopaths/extreme narcissists don't care about innocent casualties regardless of race, ethnicity, Creed, etc. so save the guilt trip. Then ask: who is propegating the slanted view that you have an issue with?
Save your breath. This guy is like a poor junior varsity debater. He finds cites that say stupid shit but reaches the preferred concussions then links to it. Totally unprepared to do anything more that repeat.

The scarry thing is he learned this bullshit somewhere.

Yes. Poverty is a massive issue in much of the QCA.

So you’re saying the big tech companies don’t want to come to Newton? WTF. 😏
Don't really blame them but with all this white flight talk to the suburbs being blamed in this thread it's funny that the tech jobs that replaced the industrial blue collar jobs just happened to choose city suburbs over all the cities and small towns that lost all the industrial jobs. Maybe its not white flight and instead its college educated jobs are now in the suburbs instead.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
In Iowa, the wealthy schools (public and private) tend to dominate the larger classes of football. One of the few outliners is Linn Mar who for years has underachieved in football.

The Davenport schools in particular Central and West are poorer schools with shrinking enrollment, they lack the resources to compete.

Davenport Assumption is solid but has too small of an enrollment to complete for championships.

Bettendorf is still good at football just not state championship good. The main reason for Bettendorf being unable to win championships is the growth of Pleasant Valley (PV). Most of the wealthy new homes built in the QC are in the PV district, which is taking away talent and resources that would’ve otherwise gone to Bettendorf.
Then why don't the people that live there do something to make those schools and neighborhoods better? I'm only 5 years older than you, and this same complaint has been made as long as I remember following public policy. Part of it is true. But the same people run the school's in virtually every large school district so their students come out unprepared for anything outside a manual labor? Maybe we should look into a systemic failure in the education system...they already are well funded. Why would a DSM HS (Hoover) want to cancel the football program because they cannot guarantee the physical safety of players and fans?

Does that seem like an appropriate or equitable response, because that damages a lot of kids, their families and any Hoover fans. It seems to **** those people really hard, while rewarding whatever violent criminals that were the reason for cancelling football. Or maybe we surge DSM PD, Polk County Deputies, the Urbandale PD and the State Troopers in the stadium, including some undercover.

Not many good jobs in the inner city because the chaos deters business investment. Cannot have gun fights outside a Mon and Pop restaurant, right. You certainly aren't going to find many privately created jobs north of poverty level in a dangerous neighborhood.

But nothing is going to change as long as the large urban areas of the country vote the same way in every election.​
Resident a$$hat weighs in

When I was in school there 35 years ago, realtors would tell all of their clients that the good schools were in Bettendorf and they should buy their homes there. Davenport schools have been in a death spiral ever since.

If you had money and kids and were moving to the QCA would YOU buy a house in Davenport? Me neither.

Resident a$$hat weighs in
What does your contribution weigh? I'd guess we at least will need something more sensitive than a marijuana scale to find an appropriate weight for your wit. Micrograms, that's the one. Only 1.3 micrograms? You cannot even buy heroin in such a small increment.

Also, using $$ symbols in the word ass is pretty juvenile, I mean like a 7th grade girl, Penelope.

Last edited:
Don't really blame them but with all this white flight talk to the suburbs being blamed in this thread it's funny that the tech jobs that replaced the industrial blue collar jobs just happened to choose city suburbs over all the cities and small towns that lost all the industrial jobs. Maybe its not white flight and instead its college educated jobs are now in the suburbs instead.
Seriously? Tech jobs vs blue collar jobs? Not sure what point you’re even trying to prove.

Seriously? Tech jobs vs blue collar jobs? Not sure what point you’re even trying to prove.

My family has been in Davenport & Bettendorf for over 100 years. I went to high school and college in Davenport, but my career with large companies required relocation to major cities. Relatives are & have been teachers in Davenport and one was in a local police force. I am the only one who left while sacrificing proximity to my family.

I don’t care to join the political debate but will comment on how sad it is to see the continued decline in Davenport. There is no easy or simple remedy but it must start and focus on education and good jobs.

If you look at other sports than football, IC schools are doing fine.

West/Liberty combo team usually finishes top 3 at state for swimming.

West dominates in both boys and girls tennis, boys soccer is a perennial contender for a state title, wrestling is solid.

Liberty had the #1 ranked volleyball team for 5A but did get upset at state. A variety of strong runners but can't put together a state title but have won conference titles.

City has been very good in girls basketball and as eluded to, football made a gigantic leap in just one year.

The addition of Liberty has ended some of West's dominance in other sports.
Yep. IC City demise (YES!) came about when Coralville and then North LIberty's populations exploded back in the 90's. Follow the money!

Davenport schools system has gone downhill fast in the past few years. Many have moved to the outskirts of town. PV, Eldridge, etc…. Lower enrollment in Davenport schools coupled with the movement to the outlining areas is the reason West/Central/North have all struggled lately. PV and North Scott get the majority of the talent from the area.
It’s pretty simple really. What you are referring to is that the percentage of family structures of the kids in those schools are much more firm and sound. Their is such a huge discrepancy in the quality of students who come from single parent homes compared with those who come from two parent homes or homes with divorced parents, but have two parents involved. Yes, there are kids who overcome those obstacles and are great students and athletes, but when you talk about “privileged” kids, one should be referring to the foundation of the family that kid comes from.

People don’t like to talk about the vast number of black students being raised by a grandmother or a single mom with zero father figure in their life. Yes, their are white students, also. People don’t like to talk about the cycle and choices of low income families and their lack of priorities on education or the importance of getting involved in extracurricular activities.

For many students, the dysfunction in his/her family is too much to overcome. They don’t get involved in sports at an early age because they weren’t encouraged and given the support by a parent or family member. School is unimportant and those types of students (students of any color) don’t gravitate towards hanging out with kids who are actively involved in things.

Drugs are another big thing and the vaping seems to have gone to epidemic levels. Kids don’t want structure and the responsibility of being told what to do and being penalized for having to be some place at a certain time. They don’t want to dedicate two hours out of their day to be in a structured practice and also do something extra like lifting weights on top of it.

The Davenport schools have plenty of good athletics kids that choose to hang out with friends and vape after school instead of being involved in things. They have kids where it means more to go be a star on the playground basketball court than it does to spend the time in a structured setting. They have fast kids, huge kids, and kids with talent that choose to not be involved.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
My family has been in Davenport & Bettendorf for over 100 years. I went to high school and college in Davenport, but my career with large companies required relocation to major cities. Relatives are & have been teachers in Davenport and one was in a local police force. I am the only one who left while sacrificing proximity to my family.

I don’t care to join the political debate but will comment on how sad it is to see the continued decline in Davenport. There is no easy or simple remedy but it must start and focus on education and good jobs.
Good families with the means choose to live in Bettendorf or PV, or go to Assumption.

What does your contribution weigh? I'd guess we're at least will need something more sensitive than a marijuana test to find an appropriate weight for your wit. Micrograms, that's the one. Only 1.3 micrograms? You cannot even buy heroin in such a small increment.

Also, using $$ symbols in the word ass is pretty juvenile, I mean like a 7th grade girl, Penelope.
And your misguided rants against DSM public are contributions? You’re some old dude with an inflated view of your experience who loves to hear your own thoughts.

2005 Davenport West grad late to the thread here, just want to share my experience. Williams and Walcott, West's 2 biggest feeder schools, were both excellent at 8th grade football at that time. Then when we combined in the fall at West, a good chunk of the top football players were at Bettendorf, and a good chunk were at Assumption. We had some ok players still, but overall we were terrible.

No idea if any recruiting type activity happened, but that was always a rumor. I never understood how we could be one of the largest student bodies in the state and win like 2 football games in the 4 years I was there. Just made me more of a Hawkeye fan I guess.

2005 Davenport West grad late to the thread here, just want to share my experience. Williams and Walcott, West's 2 biggest feeder schools, were both excellent at 8th grade football at that time. Then when we combined in the fall at West, a good chunk of the top football players were at Bettendorf, and a good chunk were at Assumption. We had some ok players still, but overall we were terrible.

No idea if any recruiting type activity happened, but that was always a rumor. I never understood how we could be one of the largest student bodies in the state and win like 2 football games in the 4 years I was there. Just made me more of a Hawkeye fan I guess.
I have no idea what the coaching is like now, but in the late 70's at West we had a pretty damn good staff. Roger Harrington was the HC, but OL coach was Cy Robinson was with Redskins, (er. Commanders) for a couple of years. WR coach Potter was a small school All American. We had some players then as well. The Rubley boys played QB. Terry went on to start at ISU. Trent played in college, (not sure where though). Chris Juering the FB played FB at Nebraska. HB Greg Deinas played at UNI I think. TE Jeff Schebler was with the Clones for awhile I think also. A few lineman played in college as well. Dave Fitzgerald went on to finish 2nd in nationals I believe for Gable on the wrestling team. Don, "Spin" Williams went on to become the pitching coach for the Pittsburg Pirates. Obviously Central had some very good teams then as well, with several guys who ended up in the NFL...

And your misguided rants against DSM public are contributions? You’re some old dude with an inflated view of your experience who loves to hear your own thoughts.
Well, my contributions are worth exactly $5 a minute.

Let me guess, you're a public-school teacher in the shitty Des Moines school district? Maybe an administrator, of even less value to the taxpayer.

1. You don't know, or don't care, that ad hominem attacks are the first resort of an unprepared mind. The first thing smart people do when engaging in an argument, and not merely a personal quarrel, is absorb the first few things an opponent says-it will tell you all about them. In more simplistic terms it's how the smart people know they have a ****ing MO-ron on the other podium. So, now I know the type of adversary before me.

2. You don't or can't actually refute anything I've said. Indeed, the complete absence of any substantive argument certainly concedes that I have been right. So, you utterly failed if your purpose was to demonstrate any of my statements about the shitty DSM public schools was wrong.

3. My goal is to persuade others to agree with me politically, economically and philosophically. There are many readers that rarely post. Those people are going to remember paragraph 2 in light of everything I've said previously.

4. Don't be the dick that instigates quarrels online. It bespeaks the behavior of a pussy bully. Hiding behind a screen name gives you the confidence of King Kong. You can get real nasty in that situation, but it doesn't take much courage. I can go the quarrel route if that was your intention. You won't enjoy the end, no one ever does.

If you don't like what I post feel free to ignore me. If you want to argue against some post with an actual substantive response, feel free.

Last edited:

Let me guess, you're a public-school teacher in the shitty Des Moines school district? Maybe an administrator, of even less value to the taxpayer.

1. You don't know, or don't care, that ad hominem attacks are the first resort of an unprepared mind. The first thing smart people do when engaging in an argument, and not merely a personal quarrel, is absorb the first few things an opponent says-it will tell you all about them. In more simplistic terms it's how the smart people know they have a ****ing MO-ron on the other podium. So, now I know the type of adversary before me.

2. You don't or can't actually refute anything I've said. Indeed, the complete absence of any substantive argument certainly concedes that I have been right. So, you utterly failed if your purpose was to demonstrate any of my statements about the shitty DSM public schools was wrong.

3. My goal is to persuade others to agree with me politically, economically and philosophically. There are many readers that rarely post. Those people are going to remember paragraph 2 in light of everything I've said previously.

4. Don't be the dick that instigates quarrels online. It bespeaks the behavior of a pussy bully. Hiding behind a screen name gives you the confidence of King Kong. You can get real nasty in that situation, but it doesn't take much courage. I can go the quarrel route if that was your intention. You won't enjoy the end, no one ever does.
If you don't like what I post feel free to ignore me. If you want to argue against some post with an actual substantive response, feel free.

I’m actually not a school teacher, I’m a doctor. Been looking at what schools I will want my kids to attend. Couldn’t disagree more with your opinions on education in Central Iowa. Maybe your finger isn’t on the pulse quite like you thought.

Hey what a coincidence. It is my goal to persuade people to agree with my take on politics as well! :D

I’m actually not a school teacher, I’m a doctor. Been looking at what schools I will want my kids to attend. Couldn’t disagree more with your opinions on education in Central Iowa. Maybe your finger isn’t on the pulse quite like you thought.
Well, in all fairness to me, I only had two run on sentences of junior high insults by which to identify your occupation. Had you written more like an adult with a high end education I probably would have come a little closer.

You still haven't identified anything that the DSM public schools do well, and I don't mean some flash in the pan one year of good test scores, respectable graduation rates, a real reduction in school violence or something akin to those metrics of educational performance and value. I also didn't miss your switch to all schools in Central Iowa. I've only spoken about the DSM public schools, not all the schools in central Iowa. So you still haven't defended the City Schools, once again conceding I am right. Given the extremely poor condition of public schools in general there are, of course, many good schools in the DSM Metro area, where most people in "Central Iowa" live.

Following the summer of rage the City schools asked for the removal of the police officers from the schools-assuming against all evidence and reason that the presence of law enforcement increases crime. Then, in less than two years, a DSM Public School (Hoover) wants to cancel football because they cannot provide for the safety of the players and fans. Take the woke politics out of it. No sane person could possibly believe reducing the presence of law enforcement would reduce crime, that's magic thinking. If the police leave and the criminals remain the criminals have an entire high school as a forced market for drugs and a playground for other predatory crimes. Do you really want your children in a system that is so utterly absurd and misguided?

If you going to prioritize a future educational career at a high influence school (e.g. Ivy League) send you kids to Valley. If you have a possible D1 athlete you could pick Valley, Dowling, SEP or either of the Ankeny or Waukee school. Putting your kids in DSM public schools if you have suburban options would be child abuse.​

Reactions: Madman_1
Ummm, the white man stole people from the 'cradle of life' and made them slaves? Next question.
Slavery was the global norm when it was taken from Africa to North America. Very few slaves were "captured" they were purchased from the more powerful tribes, all of whom had practiced slavery since the cradle of life emerged from Olduvai Gorge.

Think about the silliness of that trope. The coastal African tribes weren't like the interior tribes. They were much more socially and militarily advanced. They had iron weapons. They developed tribal warrior systems that were very similar to the English and American militia systems, so they could mobilize in minutes (like the Minuteman of American history). They employed very clever tactics based on knowledge of the terrain and overwhelming numbers. The West African coastal tribes, like everywhere else in the world, engaged in constant tribal warfare so they weren't just good soldiers they were experienced soldiers.

Slave traders were smallish ships. They rarely required more than a couple or three dozen sailors. They were manned by sailors who literally couldn't get a better berth, so they were unlikely to be very heroic in battle. Bearing in mind that the ships could never be left unattended you really could only come up 20-25 men to send into the interior, even a few miles. Some of those sailors might have been ex-military but they were mostly merchant sailors, not warriors, and the dregs of the men who go down to the sea in ships.

You think these captured slaves were just sitting around a beach waiting to be picked up? Don't you think most people, especially in a place where slavery was common, would fight rather than become slaves? So how would small numbers of European/American sailors, no better armed than the people they were trying to enslave, escape with their lives much less wrangle slaves if the locals fought back, in overwhelming numbers with knowledge of the terrain and tactical doctrines that were well practiced by experienced soldiers? It would be easy to outflank such a small group, cut off their retreat to the ship/ships and then massacred.

Not saying it never happened but that meme about capturing Africans is significantly misleading. Most slaves were just commodities that more powerful tribes traded for valuable other commodities, especially muskets and European armor. That enabled the coastal tribes to dominate the next geographic group to the east, capture and then sell even more slaves.​

Reactions: EagleHawk
And a tiny percentage of people in the US owned slaves. Ever.
Not close to a majority even in the states where slavery was legal. Large parts of Kentucky, Tennessee, what became West Virginia, and Arkansas were very opposed to slavery. Small dirt farmers, the limited number of industrialists and most other business could never compete with slavery and it significantly retarded the economies of the slave states: which was a good thing because the United States was able to starve the rebels and destroy their economies that much easier.​

Reactions: grayhair81
Well, in all fairness to me, I only had two run on sentences of junior high insults by which to identify your occupation. Had you written more like an adult with a high end education I probably would have come a little closer.

You still haven't identified anything that the DSM public schools do well, and I don't mean some flash in the pan one year of good test scores, respectable graduation rates, a real reduction in school violence or something akin to those metrics of educational performance and value. I also didn't miss your switch to all schools in Central Iowa. I've only spoken about the DSM public schools, not all the schools in central Iowa. So you still haven't defended the City Schools, once again conceding I am right. Given the extremely poor condition of public schools in general there are, of course, many good schools in the DSM Metro area, where most people in "Central Iowa" live.

Following the summer of rage the City schools asked for the removal of the police officers from the schools-assuming against all evidence and reason that the presence of law enforcement increases crime. Then, in less than two years, a DSM Public School (Hoover) wants to cancel football because they cannot provide for the safety of the players and fans. Take the woke politics out of it. No sane person could possibly believe reducing the presence of law enforcement would reduce crime, that's magic thinking. If the police leave and the criminals remain the criminals have an entire high school as a forced market for drugs and a playground for other predatory crimes. Do you really want your children in a system that is so utterly absurd and misguided?

If you going to prioritize a future educational career at a high influence school (e.g. Ivy League) send you kids to Valley. If you have a possible D1 athlete you could pick Valley, Dowling, SEP or either of the Ankeny or Waukee school. Putting your kids in DSM public schools if you have suburban options would be child abuse.​
I’m gonna be honest I didn’t read your entire narcissistic word salad, stopped early in the 2nd rant. Assume the rest of it is as some racist flex about how you rip people off by minute.

One of those DMPS is a top 30 school in the state despite the student body being 50% minority and nearly 60% economically disadvantaged. They still have a 90% graduation rate and only Valley has a higher number of students who graduate with college credit and AP courses. Seems like they do a pretty good job preparing kids for upward mobility.

Hoover didn’t drop football because they’re parents or kids were scared of not having enough cops at the games. Cmon man. They had 40 kids for 4 grades, which with my great math skills adds up to 10 players per class. And football of all the sports you need depth, which is why the DM Metro and other schools are leaving the conference. Do you expect them to be able to compete with the Waukee’s and Valleys and Ankeny’s of the world?

Hoover didn’t drop football because they’re parents or kids were scared of not having enough cops at the games. Cmon man. They had 40 kids for 4 grades, which with my great math skills adds up to 10 players per class. And football of all the sports you need depth, which is why the DM Metro and other schools are leaving the conference. Do you expect them to be able to compete with the Waukee’s and Valleys and Ankeny’s of the world?
I say we cancel the Ankenys, Valleys, Waukees, Johnstons, Dowlings and SE Polks of the world.

That would even the playing field....... ;)

I've been bragging about the Iowa Public Schools ever since I moved away. Like all the time brag about it. I mean NM even uses the Iowa Basic Skills tests. Are you guys saying I've been lying?
I hear you r/ghawk. When I moved out of Iowa in the mid 80's Iowa schools were lauded as educators. Whats next, poor work ethic for Iowa workers? :confused:

I’m gonna be honest I didn’t read your entire narcissistic word salad, stopped early in the 2nd rant. Assume the rest of it is as some racist flex about how you rip people off by minute.

One of those DMPS is a top 30 school in the state despite the student body being 50% minority and nearly 60% economically disadvantaged. They still have a 90% graduation rate and only Valley has a higher number of students who graduate with college credit and AP courses. Seems like they do a pretty good job preparing kids for upward mobility.
Oh my, aren't you the testy one. Not used to people who don't accept what you have to say like a divine revelation. Well, I'm not one of the nurses that thinks you're Jesus Christ, healing cripples and raising from the dead. (Helmet sticker for the first person that guesses, without research the source of that line. Hint: started in London, came to Broadway).

Now back to the task at hand. Accusations of narcissism are usually made by narcissists-because, of course, the real narcissist cannot tolerate disagreement or "disagreeable opinions". "People with strong narcissistic tendencies and other dark personality traits tend to blame others for their own bad behavior. If they are lying, then they will accuse others of lying. If they are cruel, they will say that others are cruel." Saw some other sites that had the same or similar information but, you probably already know that.

Out of the blue you inserted yourself in a conversation of which you were not already a part-my fight was with the sissy that called me and "a$$hat", which is a really junior high thing to say. Your contribution to the conversation was an out of the blue personal attack on me. If you are old enough to be a doctor, then you should know that verbally attacking someone typically invites reply or response. So, you picked a fight with me by launching the internet equivalent of a sucker punch.

The insults arrived on my screen in one of two ways. Option 1. You had an uncontrollably emotional reaction to an academic topic as dry and uninspiring as the quality of a Des Moines specific public HS. That kind of sounds like this: "People suffering from NPD often feel narcissistically hurt by other people around them and are particularly sensitive to feelings of shame, guilt and humiliation. To protect themselves from these feelings, they develop very strong defense mechanisms by blaming other people for their bad feelings (which looks like they are called “narcissist”). Most people with NPD do not even know that in the case of a narcissistic injury, they are probably not able to see the whole situation realistically and objectively or to endure empathy in the other person’s view (as this will bring them back would be great shame about their role, guilt, worthlessness, etc. to feel.)"

Or possibly this: "Rage disorder is characterized by repeated episodes of angry outbursts, temper tantrums, or violent behavior to the point of uncontrollable rage, it is grossly out of proportion to the situation. The outbursts are not premeditated and it is difficult for the person to resist aggressive impulses.

Option 2. You actually contemplated the insults you threw at me and decided that you somehow had the moral authority to personally attack me. You intended to "hurt my feelings" and probably to bully me into silence upon receipt of your reprimand. Attacking a stranger over such a trivial subject sounds like this:

Sadism — the tendency to inflict harm on others for the pleasure of the act — was once thought to be purely the domain of serial killers and deranged maniacs. Yet modern research shows that sadistic tendencies exist in everyday people and manifest along a spectrum.

Then, as a doctor, you slam me over what I charge. Dr. Pot, Squire Kettle is unimpressed.

And then, finally, you actually tried dispute the actual argument. Good try, but not really successful. I don't know where you got that 30 ranking. USNews is a pretty good source. They show Roosie is #46 with 11 DSM suburban and exurban schools from 1A to 5A are better. Coincidentally, Roosie's student body includes kids from literally the wealthiest neighborhood in Iowa. Guessing those kids come from households that create an environment for success and require more than the poor performance at the other DSM Public Schools.

Then, you provide the real reason for your rage, you called me a racist, although I've said nothing that discusses race at all. Just another limousine leftist that sees everything disagreeable as racism and arrogating the moral authority to attack those phantom racists.

Now, I would prefer to let this drop. But remember the pussy/bully thing, guessing you do. The last word is the oxygen upon which bullies feed. I will not give you that satisfaction.

Finally, don't waste time on the lies you tell yourself. You're already thinking about me, because you keep responding. Don't say silly shit like you only read two sentences. Everyone reads every word in conversations like those in which we now find ourselves, just as we would if exchanging them face to face.

You can prove I haven't become a burning little hole in your brain by just letting this matter drop. Please do so.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Madman_1
Absolutely not better talent.

when you have Des Moines suburban schools that are larger than schools in Iowa city, even though they only have three years, and there are twice as many kids per class as schools in other cities, you just have more numbers.

Des Moines suburban schools because to my knowledge they’re the only schools that only have three years starting sophomore year should really have their own athletic class.
For what it’s worth, Cedar Falls has been a 10-12 school forever. I think they’re the only 10-12 school on the eastern side of the state…at least 4A/5A size.

I think I heard that on WHO. Not sure though. The hardest words to leave my keyboard, I could be wrong.

It doesn't change my underlying point, however. DSM public schools are no longer competitive, in really anything, with the suburbs and ex urbs.

If they get on the field and play they are competing. There many lessons learned in losses, more so than wins. It also teaches them the importance teamwork, hard work, discipline and focus. The ability to balance academics and a major extracurricular.

Football might become more hip if they won a few games. Hoover isn't a small school, they just don't care about success at all. No school pride. There are enough kids to play football.

But, I did find an anthem for your cause. All the way from '82.

All the money in the world won't make a 4.5 guy run 4.4. The suburban schools have much more athletic football talent. Why do think they dominate other schools.

Better talent and much better preparation beginning in 7th grade.

First, feel your pain. My class at Ottumwa had an even 500 kids, although two died between last day of school and graduation. I think the current class is like 238, and Ottumwa has absorbed all the little town schools in the area.

The decision to change our economy was not some random occurrence of nature. Presidents and Congresses of both parties created this disaster. Maybe, and I know this makes me a NAZI, but perhaps American diplomatic, economic and trade policy should serve America first? Ford, GM should build their cars in the US. Build them elsewhere and you've got a 25% tariff on those cars/vehicles. Appliances, same thing. Abandon all international trade deals and make the people that want to sell their products in the US build them in the US or face a tariff that equalize the purchase prices. None of the trade and construction policies are fixed in stone, well for the ****ing vermin mercantilists are pretty fixed because they make their money from just pushing money around, but they leave structures that are hollow, like an old tree filled with termites.

We still have the same two advantages the US has always had. We literally are the only country on Earth that possesses every natural resource to maintain our industrial base and has the largest, wealthiest consumer economy so Americans can buy what we produce in America.

Instead, our academics and business leaders whenge and whine about how bad it is and how we must work with the world to make our economy work. That's a lie, plain and simple. The rest of the world needs to be reminded that it is they that must work with us.​
We have a lot of natural resources no doubt, but are short on one important thing, the workers to perform all of these manufacturing jobs. We don't have enough now, let alone if we're ramping up production even more.

Reactions: littlez
We have a lot of natural resources no doubt, but are short on one important thing, the workers to perform all of these manufacturing jobs. We don't have enough now, let alone if we're ramping up production even more.
Deplorable you are living in a world long ago unfortunately. I believe you are an attorney, correct me if I'm wrong. We do not make anything here anymore. Anything. We represent 12-15 different manufacturers that have over the last 2 years seen unprecedented growth. However the majority of them are making less money. Every single one of them depends on Asia to get parts. Every single one of them. This didn't just happen lately. It started 40 years ago, and is just coming to fruition now. Every 2 months there is a price increase. Not sure how (or why) you think we will ever start manufacturing up again in the US. That ship has sailed. We've done it to ourselves. Why pay American labor 20-25 dollars an hour when the Chinese can do it for .50 cents and get it shipped? And bowlhawk, you are correct, the only labor force we have would be immigrants, which you many on here don't want around.

Reactions: 59DAWG and cm8124
Uh, they said that was a reason for canceling. Heard it on the news, TV that is

ADVERTISEMENT