ADVERTISEMENT

So long Go Iowa Awesome

parks and recreation bacon GIF

New people running the site or just a rebrand?
Just a rebrand, per the article.

Probably a good move. “Go Iowa Awesome” was more fitting for an upstart blog than a sports news site that attends every press conference. Didn’t “GIA” evolve from the old “Black Heart Gold Pants” site? (An equally sophomoric, but fun, name.)

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
meh...........wouldn't have been my choice but,

“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”​

if it wasn't for all of you lovely characters, I could get my Hawkeye info somewhere else.

But here I am!!

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo

Probably a good move. “Go Iowa Awesome” was more fitting for an upstart blog than a sports news site that attends every press conference. Didn’t “GIA” evolve from the old “Black Heart Gold Pants” site? (And equally sophomoric, but fun, name.)
Agree. BHGP is still out there.

Probably a good move. “Go Iowa Awesome” was more fitting for an upstart blog than a sports news site that attends every press conference. Didn’t “GIA” evolve from the old “Black Heart Gold Pants” site? (And equally sophomoric, but fun, name.)
My favorite from that site back in the day was a piece where Greg Davis was getting replaced by a vending machine. That was 10 years ago. Imagine the improved production that could have been had we pulled the trigger on that one....

Hawkeye Beacon - What does that even mean?

Go Iowa Awesome sounds like something you'd say after a downing a 12 pack of Bud, but it was unique.

Not a fan of the new name, but on the scale of what matters, it barely registers.

Go Iowa Awesome sounds like something you'd say after a downing a 12 pack of Bud, but it was unique.

Not a fan of the new name, but on the scale of what matters, it barely registers.
Do you not know what a beacon is?

Reactions: jhoosh43

I'm the exact opposite. I'm fine with the new name.

GIA was awful. I never called it that, and refused to ever allow myself to call it that or be recognized as such.............and that's probably why the name changed. ;) ;) ;)

The new name is simple enough, even if it's not some attention grabber like some want. I'm assuming the idea was that the "beacon" part is a play on it being a rallying point for Hawkeye fans, which this is, and has been for over 2 decades now.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm fine with the new name.

GIA was awful. I never called it that, and refused to ever allow myself to call it that or be recognized as such.............and that's probably why the name changed. ;) ;) ;)

The new name is simple enough, even if it's not some attention grabber like some want. I'm assuming the idea was that the "beacon" part is a play on it being a rallying point for Hawkeye fans, which this is, and has been for over 2 decades now.
I agree with you. This sight is much more active than On3 IMHO. And I tried it for a year. Dropped it after the subs ran out. I like the new name.

I mean lets be real. It may have been the dumbest name ever created. It sounded like it was made by a bunch of fifth graders in 1987.

Reactions: Iron Doc
Underwhelmed with "Hawkeye Beacon" but "Go Iowa Awesome" was just a WTF jumble of words. That probably came from the same person who came up with "Build Back Better".

Anything is an improvement.

Reactions: Iron Doc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT